• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha, I'm in the same boat. I bought one and drew a doodle on the first day. haven't used it since :D

I use it as a project journal, not a planner. Sometimes I do actual journal entries but most of the time it's project notes. I hate planning things but I /love/ daily pages for projects. Forces me to work on/think about it every day.

Stressing out about it is pointless.

It has no value as a decorative piece, it's only valuable if you actually put down something in it.

Pinewood

Kinda regret not getting a cover, although it seems pretty sturdy. Using an old hair tie to make sure it wont open/hold down the pen. Seems to work great albeit it doesnt look super great.

I just use mine as a little checklist for things I have to do in the day, or upcoming appointments, etc. I tried being creative with mine a few years ago, and it was too much pressure!

It's not ruined! Dry the planner out and it has become art.

Yeah, surprisingly its held together pretty well. That tomoe river paper is something else

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm slapping an Undertale sticker on the Hello Kitty. Otherwise, the cover is fantastic. It just looks so sharp.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Got mine, now Im in the same boat :/ It looks really nice tho, dont want to fill it with crap

You know, it helps me a bit that this is a 2016 planner. I have beautiful notebooks that I want to use, but I don't want to "waste" them. With the Hobonichi, every page is made for one day THIS YEAR. It's not like if you use it, you'll regret it tomorrow because that page is gone. It's gone either way. Start writing! It becomes easier and easier.

Honestly, there are entries I made that felt dumb at the time - just some TV show I was watching or whatever. Some of those entries are the most fun to look back on. Little details can take me back, or I am reminded of some book I had picked up but had to put down. And as you record little things every day, the things that feel weightier and more important will sneak in. The habit is almost as important as the content.

The other way to look at it is the Field Notes slogan - “I'm not writing it down to remember it later, I'm writing it down to remember it now.” You can think of a journal/planner less as a place to record history (which seems daunting, even if it is just your personal history) and more a tool to live a more contemplative, purposeful life right now. Again, the act of writing can become the focus. The content will suggest itself. Most of us stress about content to the point of not actually doing the writing, which is dumb. Write.

Draw, paste things in, record the weather, write down what game you are playing. Think of a thing you'd like to record - I like to keep track of what I'm reading - and just use that to start writing each day. At the top of each page, I've taken to writing where I recorded each entry. I split my time between two cities, with trips here and there, so it's a nice little record of my travels. I always write the city. If I am out of the house, I'll write "Central Library," "Starbucks," "Strip Club," - your usual journaling places - as a little reminder of my trip out into the world. I'm trying to be less of a homebody, so it's a nice little exercise. And I can flip through my Hobonichi and the top of each page says where I was each day.

Bagels said:
The other way to look at it is the Field Notes slogan - “I'm not writing it down to remember it later, I'm writing it down to remember it now.” You can think of a journal/planner less as a place to record history (which seems daunting, even if it is just your personal history) and more a tool to live a more contemplative, purposeful life right now.
This is what I do. One day I started writing that I didn't do much but remembered more as I wrote. Also it is a motivation to try new things, in order to write about them. Or motivation to not do something, if you write down you won't do it.

Also at the end of a week I think about the week as a whole and take a card from a deck of cards that has some symbolism for the week, and put it in the card holders in the cover near cards from some previous weeks.

My pen is almost out of its first cartridge of ink after a month. This is average from what I see.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
This is what I do. One day I started writing that I didn't do much but remembered more as I wrote. Also it is a motivation to try new things, in order to write about them. Or motivation to not do something, if you write down you won't do it.

Also at the end of a week I think about the week as a whole and take a card from a deck of cards that has some symbolism for the week, and put it in the card holders in the cover near cards from some previous weeks.

My pen is almost out of its first cartridge of ink after a month. This is average from what I see.

So you're liking the Kakuno?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So I got the Lamy Safari and the Plumix. I far prefer the way the Plumix writes. But it feels so cheap. The Safari is ok but it doesn't have the nice writing feel to it the Plumix does.

Any Plumix pen that feels nice and not with a screw off cap and cheap plastic body?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
So I got the Lamy Safari and the Plumix. I far prefer the way the Plumix writes. But it feels so cheap. The Safari is ok but it doesn't have the nice writing feel to it the Plumix does.

Any Plumix pen that feels nice and not with a screw off cap and cheap plastic body?

All you have to do is buy a Pilot Metropolitan and you can swap the nibs. The Metro has a nice brass body, and costs about $15. It's a nice pen on its own, in either M or F nib.

For more like $30, you can get a Pilot Prera with the same kind of nib. It's marked <CM>, for Calligraphy Medium. I had read that it is the exact same nib, but I'd need to double-check. If it is just the Plumix nib, the whole pen is way overpriced. They retail for more like $50. You can get them shipped from Japan for $30 on Amazon or ebay, if you're interested in something lighter than the Metro. It has a plastic body, but it looks okay.

The other option, again for round $30, is a TWSBI Eco. TWSBI makes really nice pens, almost all demonstrators (which just means the bodies are clear so you can see the ink). The 1.1 stub/italic nib gives more thick-to-thin than the Plumix and feels much more premium. I love my TWSBI pens. The Eco is the newest, entry-level pen. It has the same nib and feed as their nicer pens, but the body is not as nice looking. You'll see. The better TWSBIs - the new Vac mini is my favorite - are more like $65-75. Those will all come in 1.1 stub/italic. I usually like M nibs otherwise, but I think the TWSBI F writes better. The M is REALLY wet. The other stub nib, 1.5mm, is ridiculously big. It's fun for larger lettering, but I can't really use it day to day, and I write fairly large.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
You can swap in an italics nib for your Safari as well if that's what you mean by writing feel. I use my 1.1 nib all the time it's great :)

Also, listen to Bagels. The Metro is amazing, and cheap!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
You can swap in an italics nib for your Safari as well if that's what you mean by writing feel. I use my 1.1 nib all the time it's great :)

Good point! I forget about my Lamy italic nib. I have 3 Lamy pens and I really only like the one I've had the longest, which is an F nib. It takes forever to break them in with however I hold them or whatever factor it is that makes them a bit off for me. Other people love Lamys so I'm convinced it's a quirk of how I write.

The Metro is the best value in fountain pens. It's the best starter pen and it seems like people never get tired of them, no matter how many nicer pens they get. I keep a bunch around to give to people but also because I just like how they feel. I use one every day. Most of mine have Plumix nibs, but the basic M nib is really smooth too.

Goulet pens or Jetpens will have a better selection of body styles than Amazon. Massdrop has 2-packs all the time, too.

Pilots all use the same cartridges and con-50 converter (some will take a larger converter). I recommend getting a blunt syringe and reusing the cartridges if you want to start trying some different inks. Metros are great for exotic inks, too. Worst case scenario, you're out 15 bucks.

KTallguy

Banned
I was using the daily one last year but I found it a bit too much.

This year I opted for the "WEEKS" one and so far it's amazing for work :)

bAvSptp.png

Bboy AJ

Just got a 1.1. Thanks. I wish I had known from the start. I hate the fine nib the safari came with.

Pinewood

To the people who might be having a hard time coming up with things to write in our fantastic little book, then someplace called bohoberry are having a #RockYourHandwriting month in february.
RockYourHandwriting3.jpg

This seems really cool. Is this like write a paragraph about each topic?

So far I've tried to fill every page by the end of the day with daily stuff, scribbles, have a to-do list at the top etc. Yesterday I had a really whacky dream so I put that down along other stuff.. Seems to work pretty well, lets see if I can keep it up for the whole year. This is like a resolution for me, and I guess its cool to reflect at the end of the year

AudioNoir

Banned
Can't wait til they're back in stock. I go back to work in June, and am so very in need of a good planner. This is gonna be perfect.

traveler

Not Wario
The February restock happened today on the official site, so if you don't mind ordering from there, you can buy now.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Got my Techo today thanks to your persuasiveness, Bagels. Haven't got a cover yet, but I'm looking at a nice tweed one from Etsy. The paper really is quite nice to write on!

I dig it without the cover, too!

Glad you like it! It really all does come down to that sweet, smooth paper.

lightus

I bought a Hobonichi Planner last year but didn't use it nearly as much as I was hoping. I liked the concept a lot though, so purchased one for this year!

I was lazy with it last month but I refocused and started using more routinely this week.

Right now I use it to check off what I've done during the day and to plan out what to do the next day. I use the far left column as a mini graph to draw out a rough estimate of how I used my time during the day with each row representing one hour. On Sundays I also write in overall plans for the week ahead.

Currently I'm using a Sharpie pen. I love how bold the black is but it does tend to bleed a little and it can take a few more seconds to dry than I'm used to. I may switch it up with another type of pen soon.

I have a ton of empty space, so I'm gonna start filling it in with doodles once I get some color pens!

I'm really enjoying the little guy so far. It's amazing how much it helps just to set aside ~15 min a day to reflect and write out your short/long term goals.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
qPmWrkN.png

I don't know how much interest Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shinbun actually has in the non-Japanese market - although the creation of the English language planner and the appearance of Hobonichi products at other retailers suggests the interest is there - so we'll see if they start offering more planners in English. Both JetPens and Pocket Notebooks seem to burn through their shipments of Hobonichis incredibly quickly, so I won't be to surprised to see more English language offerings. At the very least, the retailers seem hungry for more products to sell.

tiijj

can someone explain (or point towards) what's so amazing about this and how I should be using it?

Other than the high quality paper and binding, it's just like any planner/notebook. What's amazing about it is how you use it which really depends on the one using it. Some use it as a regular planner, others use it as an art book, doodle book, personal journal, scrapbook, life log, etc...

You can see some example on what people use it for here:

http://hobonichilove.tumblr.com/
http://help.1101.com/store/techo/collection/en

wilflare

Other than the high quality paper and binding, it's just like any planner/notebook. What's amazing about it is how you use it which really depends on the one using it. Some use it as a regular planner, others use it as an art book, doodle book, personal journal, scrapbook, life log, etc...

:( in my hands, it'll end up as a scribble book :(

Bboy AJ

hey guys how do i use a piece of paper

entremet

I totally forgot to order this.

I enjoyed it but I found the original way too small. Anyone else had similar complaints? I have pretty big handwriting.

wilflare

hey guys how do i use a piece of paper

You can boil them, mash them, stick them in a stew.

:( just realised how ridiculous my question sounded but I guess I was looking for some inspiration to get started... :/

The OP is like 1000 words answering this. :/

I realised and it's fantastic! if only there's more shots of the Weekly version. that would be really handy at work it seems (and that Journal OT :O)

thanks so much! this is what I'm looking for - inspiration! though I'm not sure if I'll ever quite get there. I've been thinking of keeping a Digital Journal (Day One App, anyone?) but I guess there's something poignant about a physical one.

Don't tempt me.

I would gladly read more :p

I totally forgot to order this.

I enjoyed it but I found the original way too small. Anyone else had similar complaints? I have pretty big handwriting.

you can join me in ordering this - hopefully it's not too late to jump-in

Bboy AJ

Any similar notebooks the size of a palm? One of those Dick Tracey sized pocket, pocket notebooks.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Moleskin makes some. I know Bagels is a Moleskine hater, though lol.

I'm not a Moleskine hater! I'm just a man of more refined tastes. I'm like James Bond, but instead of being a glamorous spy, I like pens and paper. It's very similar.

Yup - I like the Rhodia version. Goulet has them.

Field Notes don't do as well with anything above a fine-nib fountain pen, but I dig their covers.

Hobonichi sells pocket notebooks with Tomoe River paper, which are great.

Word notebooks are pretty great.

Passport-size Midori Traveller's refills are slightly larger than a standard pocket notebook but they are also great.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Here! They don't have the greatest of pagecounts, but you do get three in the pack, so it should even out between convenience and size. They're also about a third of an inch smaller than the A6/Original size, which makes them pretty easy to stuff into all but the most shallow of pockets.

'Ve been dropping the ball with the planner as it's just easier to use Apple Notes to keep track of what's going on as it's always with me, while this can only come along if I'm taking a bag, so I can't rely on it. Still love it for scribbling and random stuff, but for something isn't with you 24/7, you can't rely on it as a planner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom