• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Hobonichi Techo ITOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezumi

First three days with my Hobonichi and I'm loving it so far. Sure, my pages are nowhere as pretty as the stuff on that Instagram page but I'm having so much fun putting stuff in there. Aside from using the small checkbox section in the upper corner to track stuff I have to do over the day, I'm mostly filling it with recipes at the moment because I love to cook and one of my New Year's resolutions was to become vegan, so there is a lot of experimenting going on and this way I'll copy the recipe and can than add my own notes and changes. And I also have tested recipes at hand when I'm on vacation and so on. I actually plan on learning to doodle a bit better so that maybe I can draw little pictures of the stuff I'm cooking.

Otherwise I'm using the monthly double pages as a food diary and the bimonthly pages to track my exercise (more New Year's resolutions, lol, guess what I'm tracking with the graph paper...)

Other than that I love filling up all the space that I don't fill with notes or recipes with bits of washi tape and stickers or Instax photos. All in all it makes for a more chaotic look but that's actually kind of fitting.

o6FSLfA1X_nVUdD3JXk0QsZaobEaDx1Vx5YaZeJ_xmi6WJIbrO6-zqrx64e6Y1v1QMhjb35PNDOnYQNvjmSuliqBOqemTOJF6ah2vtBqyofmg-JHOXFyZJdZpDuQDHsd8EPayPjkvg4gEvcatwQS9R3hBdPImSchIgsqUPIXkQYE64bg-biVWfE-iw7OifL2x9xozdRI9uTfyX3dLSTPm8ODfh6E9IZKihU-0TLQ3tqnw8eR7rgYQoZpYEW6N7ls1JkXal5UxQauDBRP-Z15N0uSWDIvqGJEOoOtGoDY6f5X7xaTqmBHOz_VnS_tFCa9qIE2I76h6VflRfPwbXXj2HMQLKY2C-AxHjbuhJNxSU8jBMt1Ifwf7_Hw9SxGuZ3SeNk3Lm_tQQnwOp4K4u4czvMxpp70Le2Wj3jIUmQRRYXtIjTefr6a6hoOsdfFzbWeMTpa19bzhrQmvwQEvHWIjB9GesMyun9aPvmPx85gc94-WzSbdiefUkJOSvVTwiyvdhVnMeAB8dmi1i4Sewi4NE6OF_0YKcFy5DH3tsqTtRlO0x1OTADjkUo8Kx7xD63MhU20ppZC6hnDot_lyEH__UaubJW2RYWmVrv2DRHIbWTFr2irz7hA=w1263-h947-no

Oh and the paper is an absolute delight to write on. I wish I had a full blown notebook to use for my creative writing brainstorming with that paper (the Hobonichi is a bit small for that so I'm actually considering the Cousin for next year, but I also do already own a shit ton of notebooks that want to be filled first. So... good thing I have another year to think about this.)

Akim

Banned
First three days with my Hobonichi and I'm loving it so far. Sure, my pages are nowhere as pretty as the stuff on that Instagram page but I'm having so much fun putting stuff in there. Aside from using the small checkbox section in the upper corner to track stuff I have to do over the day, I'm mostly filling it with recipes at the moment because I love to cook and one of my New Year's resolutions was to become vegan, so there is a lot of experimenting going on and this way I'll copy the recipe and can than add my own notes and changes. And I also have tested recipes at hand when I'm on vacation and so on. I actually plan on learning to doodle a bit better so that maybe I can draw little pictures of the stuff I'm cooking.

Otherwise I'm using the monthly double pages as a food diary and the bimonthly pages to track my exercise (more New Year's resolutions, lol, guess what I'm tracking with the graph paper...)

Other than that I love filling up all the space that I don't fill with notes or recipes with bits of washi tape and stickers or Instax photos. All in all it makes for a more chaotic look but that's actually kind of fitting.

Oh and the paper is an absolute delight to write on. I wish I had a full blown notebook to use for my creative writing brainstorming with that paper (the Hobonichi is a bit small for that so I'm actually considering the Cousin for next year, but I also do already own a shit ton of notebooks that want to be filled first. So... good thing I have another year to think about this.)

I'm going to try to draw in mine more this year. Dare I shoot for a doodle per day? If so, I'm already a day behind, because I didn't draw anything yesterday, but here's the 1st:

These both look great. My book is mostly scribbles.

and now this thread has shown me the existence of washi tape, so that might have to happen soon too.

From someone who has too much washi tape to ever use, AliExpress is your friend. In stores it's like $5 a roll but on AliExpress it's usually a buck or so. Sure, it takes forever and a day to arrive, but the price points are worth it. Especially the lots where you can get like 20 rolls for ten bucks. I also get little knick knack stationery items like stamps and stickers from there too. The key is to read the reviews and buy from sellers who people like.

I love seeing everyone's pages! Mine is still stuck in customs arghhh It sucks because seeing them makes me feel inspired!

gaiages

Banned
So far, my first three days of Hobonichi have gone:

- A day with random notes for the year ahead
- A day with doodles and comments about my day
- A day with a full page filled with a work related rant

I love this thing! I figured I'd take my favorite pages at the end of each month and so them off (provided they aren't too personal lol)

I upped my pen game from a hotel ballpoint to... a Muji gel-ink ballpoint for 2017.

Still using the same format as before; local/relevant sports scores, followed by daily notes or happenings, games played, exercise, food eaten. Got this routine going and I don't want to break it.

The goal for this year is to write cleanly and clearly as long as I can.

Obligatory non-fancy Techo pics (while trying to block out names):

Day 4 and I've totally made peace with the size of the Planner lol - knew it wouldn't take me very long after the first day.

Some examples so far but I'll try to get more detailed as the days go by. Also my doodles are on the crappy side, so apologies in advance.

Tools used: Muji 0.38 gel pens, Tombow mechanical pencil & Staedler eraser

^ I don't see why not. It's sold by a third party seller techostore, they probably bulk ordered and are reselling on Amazon.

I still haven't written in my 2017 but today its raining so I'll have a long lunch inside.

Since I'm here, both my wife and I got new covers this year so I have two extra covers (plain blue and plain yellow zippers from a few years back) I'll post pictures in and set them up in the buy/sell/trade thread if anyone is interested.

hazukash

I was going to grab a Hobonichi Techo this year, but a friend gave me a planner for Christmas so I'll use that instead. I put away buying one too because I wasn't sure if I was going to make good use of it. It's pretty expensive after all and I haven't used a planner in years so it was a risky purchase. I'll consider this a test: if I use the Christmas planner this year, I'll buy a Hobonichi for 2018. Probably a cousin as I like large planners, but I want a nice MOTHER cover. :(

gaiages

Banned
Question, who is using the plastic cover on covers, or whatever they're called? I want to take my techo outside of the confines of my room, but I got a light colored cover and I'm worried about grime. Do the plastic ones get in the way or anything?

Nezumi

Question, who is using the plastic cover on covers, or whatever they're called? I want to take my techo outside of the confines of my room, but I got a light colored cover and I'm worried about grime. Do the plastic ones get in the way or anything?

I use it and it does not get in the way at all. There even is a little latch so one can reach the pocket in the back of the cover. It is also nice if you want to personalize the planner even more. It does add a little to the overall size but marginally so.

Using mine and doesn't bother me at all, despite it reminding me of those plastic covers that people would put on their sofas. Barely adds much more size to the techo and it has a little pocket in the rear to add things like tickets, business cards, cash or change.

alatif113

^ I don't see why not. It's sold by a third party seller techostore, they probably bulk ordered and are reselling on Amazon.

I still haven't written in my 2017 but today its raining so I'll have a long lunch inside.

Since I'm here, both my wife and I got new covers this year so I have two extra covers (plain blue and plain yellow zippers from a few years back) I'll post pictures in and set them up in the buy/sell/trade thread if anyone is interested.

But do I get my toast plate though. Thats the real question.

Day 4 and I've totally made peace with the size of the Planner lol - knew it wouldn't take me very long after the first day.

Some examples so far but I'll try to get more detailed as the days go by. Also my doodles are on the crappy side, so apologies in advance.

Tools used: Muji 0.38 gel pens, Tombow mechanical pencil & Staedler eraser

how do you like the shoe?

Theonik

I'm loving mine so far! Got the Mother 2 cover as well first planner I actually use actually. Any tips? Using the bundled pen but I think it wears on the paper too much pressure. Any pen recommendations?

Because I have such a love/hate relationship with this thing... Was late to work in the morning due to a train breaking down at West Oakland - which is the major artery for coming/going between San Francisco & the East Bay.

Porcile

I'm loving mine so far! Got the Mother 2 cover as well first planner I actually use actually. Any tips? Using the bundled pen but I think it wears on the paper too much pressure. Any pen recommendations?

Japanese-made fine nib fountain pen. Something like the Pilot Kakuno or Pilot Metropolitan if you want something cheap but good quality. I find the LAMY Safari a little thick but its all preference.

Theonik

Japanese-made fine nib fountain pen. Something like the Pilot Kakuno or Pilot Metropolitan if you want something cheap but good quality. I find the LAMY Safari a little thick but its all preference.
Hmm, I'll try the Pilot Metropolitan. Thanks!

eltercero

I'm writing with a Kakuno and it takes a while to dry, is it normal? I'm not used to write with a fountain pen, so maybe I'm pushing too much ink?

Raxious

Really considering buying one again this year, but there are 2 problems:

1. I hardly used it last year, roughly 2 weeks before I stopped using it ^^'
2. I'm heading out for the UK on the 23th, and I'm afraid I won't receive by then. Last time I ordered a cover on December 23th and only got it on January 6th.

Bladenic

Ordered the Memories Mother 2 one! So excited! I hope I use this as some of you are, I need something to use as an organizer and as a creative outlet.

Nezumi

First week is almost over and so far the novelty hasn't worn off :)
Had an entire page empty because nothing much happened that day, so I tried out the water brushes I bought a while back. It really is astonishing how sturdy that paper is.

And I just bought even more stickers on etsy... My husband already thinks I'm crazy.

Nezumi

I finished my goal page today. It was fun doodling those daruma! The last two goals are personal :p

My daily pages are just writing and stickers. I haven't had time to sit and doodle my days yet.

Those are awesome <3 I kind of want to steal that idea...

kiri

Really considering buying one again this year, but there are 2 problems:

1. I hardly used it last year, roughly 2 weeks before I stopped using it ^^'
2. I'm heading out for the UK on the 23th, and I'm afraid I won't receive by then. Last time I ordered a cover on December 23th and only got it on January 6th.

There's a shop in Shoreditch, London that has them in stock. JP Books in Piccadilly also has them in stock, £34 if I remember correctly (English version)

First week is almost over and so far the novelty hasn't worn off :)
Had an entire page empty because nothing much happened that day, so I tried out the water brushes I bought a while back. It really is astonishing how sturdy that paper is.

And I just bought even more stickers on etsy... My husband already thinks I'm crazy.

Not sure if its because of your google account being set to private but I cant seem to see any of your photos :/ could be on my end though.

hampig

Got one from the extremely generous Auron_Kale two days ago in the mail!

It's been a lot of fun doodling in it and thinking of things that I'd like to keep track of to be able to look back on at years end. I'm excited to keep up with it through the year and to have something chronicling my time at the end. I used to do something like this in Highschool and I loved it, so I don't think I'll have a problem here.

Thanks again Auron. : D

gaiages

Banned
I decided to use my Sunday pages like... an actual planner lol. I have my weekly weigh-in weight, to-dos for the week, and things going on that week that might be important to remember. I even bothered to write in the lines! :p

I already had apps/calendar settings for most of this stuff, but it's fun to write out.

Nezumi

Steal away! I want to see your interpretation too!

What seller are you getting your Etsy stickers from?

I will :)

They were mostly German sellers. AurorasHeart, KawaiiSpotted, Valendaires... I just searched for stickers and choose the ones I liked the most.

Ephidel

I'm loving all the sketches!
... And fighting the urge to buy a load of stickers and tape :x

I had the spectacular idea to start my new year by writing down some things that have been on my mind for a while now. I do think actually trying to lay out my thoughts helped me a bit, because it's stuff I've been keeping to myself. It probably wasn't the best way to star my new diary-planner-thing but I don't regret doing it (even if I do kind of wish I'd done it somewhere else). I kept at it for a few days though, and I imagine I'll go back to it a few times yet, so some of my pages are going to get stricken from the 'displayable' register.

I do have some doodles on some other pages though :)
The dodgy reflection is because I stuck one of those midori sticky pockets to the page so I could tuck the ticket inside it.

At the moment I'm messing around with pencils, a bunch of coloured staedtler fine liners, and a couple of medium nibbed fountain pens. I might need to treat myself to a fountain pen with a finer nib though. I've found I want to write small.
They should be working now. Let me know if not.
I could actually see it the other day but now I can't. It was cute, and I'm surprised the paper can handle watercolours like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom