• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Hobonichi Techo ITOI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got one from the extremely generous Auron_Kale two days ago in the mail!

It's been a lot of fun doodling in it and thinking of things that I'd like to keep track of to be able to look back on at years end. I'm excited to keep up with it through the year and to have something chronicling my time at the end. I used to do something like this in Highschool and I loved it, so I don't think I'll have a problem here.

Thanks again Auron. : D

You're very welcome and glad you're really enjoying it! Hopefully you'll love it so much that you'll pick one up for next year!

As for me, got some stuff for Saturday and Sunday. Had a race on Sunday (Hot Chocolate 15k) so most of the doodles were related to it. The race map was roughly the course I ran, but lacking in a few more turns.

VueXcC9.jpg

Forgot to color my finisher mug, which was also blue.

aett

Finally got my Techo yesterday (after a couple of scares, including one redelivery and this one time in which the USPS website erroneously said that it had been shipped back to Japan)! Now that I have it... I'm a little hesitant to do more than just write reminders in it so I don't mess it up.

Finally got my Techo yesterday (after a couple of scares, including one redelivery and this one time in which the USPS website erroneously said that it had been shipped back to Japan)! Now that I have it... I'm a little hesitant to do more than just write reminders in it so I don't mess it up.

Honestly, just don't worry about "messing up" because how do you know that you've messed up if it's your book?

Doodle, write reminders, use washi tape, tape ticket stubs, do whatever comes to mind to remind you of your day- that's all that you're supposed to do with it.

Just have fun with it.

Ephidel

Now that I have it... I'm a little hesitant to do more than just write reminders in it so I don't mess it up.
The fact it's a dated planned is actually helping me to use it. I'm normally the kind of person who buys cool notebooks and then doesn't write in them for fear of messing them up.
With this though, I have to use it or I've wasted it.

Admittedly there are already times when I wish I'd thought things through a bit more before I started writing (and one page I'm genuinely considering taping an amendment sheet over because it's such a waste of a page), but I'm still having fun.

New pics.

I got quite in to Limitless, and while I was writing about it I used it as an excuse to sketch tiny tiny pictures of more minor characters. This is just a few of them because there wasn't any text around them so I can't spoil anyone.
Most don't exactly resemble their actors as much as I'd like, but I never said I was good at drawing tiny pictures of people.

And then I copied a Dies Irae pic to celebrate the kickstarter succeeding.
I wanted to draw Reinhard but his hair screamed "You can't do this" so Wilhelm was the alternative. Drawing in pen is terrifying x_x
Unfortunately what was supposed to be a pale flesh coloured pen came out... well, I don't even know what colour that ended up as. Sort of greenish? Grey? Definitely not any form of flesh tone, anyway ¬_¬

There is definitely some smudging going on when writing with a uniball jetstream pen.

Unfortunately I am also left handed and write faster than I should, so this is probably more of a problem for me than average.

gaiages

Banned
There is definitely some smudging going on when writing with a uniball jetstream pen.

Unfortunately I am also left handed and write faster than I should, so this is probably more of a problem for me than average.

I'm having the same problem with gel pens, and I'm left handed as well. I'm trying my hardest to try not to touch the paper with my hand too much, heh...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't necessarily need a cover for this, do I? I like the way it looks on its own.

Nope! Covers are mostly for fashion/aesthetics, though most offer some extended usability by being able to hold cards, smaller notepads, stickers, etc. The English Techo has a nice, textured cover that can take a bit of road wear. I love the cover designs, but you can still totally use one without the extra cost and bulk if you feel like you don't need it!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Nope! Covers are mostly for fashion/aesthetics, though most offer some extended usability by being able to hold cards, smaller notepads, stickers, etc. The English Techo has a nice, textured cover that can take a bit of road wear. I love the cover designs, but you can still totally use one without the extra cost and bulk if you feel like you don't need it!

Sounds good, mine just shipped. Excited to use it.

Finally got my Cousin that I ordered on the 27th December arriving on Monday. Import fees ended up at £23. Hopefully it's worth the long wait and cost...

Ephidel

Politics has mostly taken over my planner for the last couple of weeks.
That's ignoring the pages that are pretty much all text too. There's entirely too much depressing or demoralising stuff going on, and it fills pages rather fast.
I did allow myself one page in the midst of the all that shit to moan about petty work issues though.
If I keep drawing people I have to get better at it eventually, right? :|

I like my Techo, but I am struggling to fit things in ^^;

Ephidel

Do you reckon its still worth it to order a planner even if its like two months late into the year already :/
Arguably only you could decide that - but you would still have ten months left, and extra space for doodling :)

You could always consider the Spring version that starts in April - http://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/magazine/2017/spring_yokoku/index.html?device=pc

The Spring version is only available in Japanese though.

I should mention that following the "click here for the April-start 2017 Hobonichi Techo" link on the bottom of that page doesn't actually go to the page specifically for April planners, it takes you to a page with all of them. If you want an April start cover+planner bundle you'd actually have to make sure you select the April start one from the drop down menu because it defaults to January start ones , even for the new covers mentioned on the page above.

The actual planners on their own are listed about half way down the page. Or here:
The original - http://www.1101.com/store/techo/pc/en/2017/detail_cover/4_r_o_r.html
The cousin - http://www.1101.com/store/techo/pc/en/2017/detail_cover/4_r_c_r.html

jimwhat

The pen that came with my Techo is almost out of ink. Does anyone know if it is refillable?

I've tried to open the top, but it seems like it isn't meant to.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The pen that came with my Techo is almost out of ink. Does anyone know if it is refillable?

I've tried to open the top, but it seems like it isn't meant to.

It twists off just above the grip!

Yc6V86W.jpg

Refills can be bought anywhere. A quick search for Jetstream Pen Refill 0.5 shows them available at Jetpens and other stores. Make sure to look for the SXR-80-05, which is the exact model number the Hobonichi's pen uses!

gaiages

Banned
It's March and I'm still writing in mine! I was worried I would drop off, but I really enjoy just... Writing stuff down, lol. Most of my pages are pretty mundane--to do lists, quickly jotted down work ideas, random thoughts for the day, but other pages have doodles or other fun things, too. I have missed a few days, but it happens.

I really love this thing. :D I don't have any pics right now because most have personal info though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The 2018 lineup is up on the store site.

I'm not really feeling any of the covers this year. There's a couple I like but none speak to me. I think I'll either get one off AliExpress or use the same one from this year.

Hmm... even the minä perhonen covers aren't really striking me as must-haves, despite their previous designs being my favorites of those years. Pretty exciting year as far as licensed work goes, though! New Mother/Earthbound covers and four (!!) Beatles covers. Still wouldn't use any of those, but I imagine the Beatles covers alone will draw some eyes from people drifting around the Stationery scene.

The Felt Book (Light Grey) looks the best to me but I don't like that it uses some leather, and the brown leather bookmarks/pen clip holder clash with it. And the extra flap when it's open isn't so good. And my pen doesn't have a clip.
https://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/2018/pc/detail_cover/oc18_feltbook.html

Misleadingly, the first photo in the set for Hydrangea looks like it has a diagonal pattern of alternating shades of blue. I might have gone for that one if it did.
https://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/2018/pc/detail_cover/oc18_colorsajisai.html

Nezumi

I thought about getting a cousin this year, but I really don't like any of the colors and I love the simple melon one for the original... Decisions...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Though the covers weren't very exciting, next year will see a new style of Hobonichi added to the lineup - The Hobonichi 5-Year!

4f1iXDr.png

I've seen a few 3 and 5 year planners/diaries around before - most recently I came across one made by Midori for bookbinders.au. Certainly an interesting departure from the usual planner style.

Hobonichi's 5-Year Techo will be available in January 2018, with more details coming in November. It measures to be the same A6 size as the Hobonichi Techo, with cream colored Tomoe River paper instead of the brighter white used in the main notebooks.

1UX25OU.png

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any details once it is fully revealed. Which reminds me! I'll have to set aside some time soon to work on an OT for next year's lineup. I can't assure it will be done on time, but hopefully I can have it out in the first week of September.

Tomita

I wanna ride this Hobonichi train with you guys. But I'm kind of confused about buying one.

I would really like the Japanese version so I could brush up on my language skills. In fact I kind of wanted to use the journal to help keep up the habit of practicing.

From the US, what's the most cost-efficient way of doing this? Is the 1101-site good enough for that? Should I try shopping in Seattle for one in person? Seattle has a Kinokuniya shop. My experience is they sell stuff in Japanese, but I'm not sure they'll sell the Hobonichi in Japanese. It's been years since I've been able to go. I'm also not sure if I'm supposed to preorder at the shop or if stock isn't that big of a deal. (I'm sure for the covers it is, but I'll just get a cheap one for my first book.)

Also, is the paper not as good with mechanical pencils? I see everyone using pens, but I hate pens.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I wanna ride this Hobonichi train with you guys. But I'm kind of confused about buying one.

I would really like the Japanese version so I could brush up on my language skills. In fact I kind of wanted to use the journal to help keep up the habit of practicing.

From the US, what's the most cost-efficient way of doing this? Is the 1101-site good enough for that? Should I try shopping in Seattle for one in person? Seattle has a Kinokuniya shop. My experience is they sell stuff in Japanese, but I'm not sure they'll sell the Hobonichi in Japanese. It's been years since I've been able to go. I'm also not sure if I'm supposed to preorder at the shop or if stock isn't that big of a deal. (I'm sure for the covers it is, but I'll just get a cheap one for my first book.)

Also, is the paper not as good with mechanical pencils? I see everyone using pens, but I hate pens.

The official Hobonichi store (1101) does offer shipping to the US, though it is a little on the expensive side due to the overseas shipping required. The benefit from ordering there is that you have access to all of the official covers and accessories you may want, whereas US retailers tend to carry a limited selection in stock. As far as I know, there aren't any US companies that sell the Japanese Techo, since they have an English translated version available. Kinokuniya does have some imported goods though, so it could be worth checking out?? Someone who has visited one could be of more help there.

As for mechanical pencils, both Bagels and I at the very least have used some in ours and find that the paper still works quite well for it! The only downside being that because the paper is very thin, coarser leads might drag a little and wrinkle the paper if you write with enough force, but you'd have to have a super heavy hand to do it. Azizah of Gourmet Pens mentions the paper being too thin and smooth for harder leads though, so it really depends. They just so happen to be popular with fountain pen enthusiasts because of the unique way the paper handles inks.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wished the 5 year Techo had an English translation too :( That's a bit of a dealbreaker unfortunately.

Tomita

The official Hobonichi store (1101) does offer shipping to the US, though it is a little on the expensive side due to the overseas shipping required. The benefit from ordering there is that you have access to all of the official covers and accessories you may want, whereas US retailers tend to carry a limited selection in stock. As far as I know, there aren't any US companies that sell the Japanese Techo, since they have an English translated version available. Kinokuniya does have some imported goods though, so it could be worth checking out?? Someone who has visited one could be of more help there.

As for mechanical pencils, both Bagels and I at the very least have used some in ours and find that the paper still works quite well for it! The only downside being that because the paper is very thin, coarser leads might drag a little and wrinkle the paper if you write with enough force, but you'd have to have a super heavy hand to do it. Azizah of Gourmet Pens mentions the paper being too thin and smooth for harder leads though, so it really depends. They just so happen to be popular with fountain pen enthusiasts because of the unique way the paper handles inks.

What a great link, thank you! Very helpful. I write light and try to avoid the courser leads, so that should be okay. And who knows, maybe I'll try and experiment with pen and inks with this thing too, though I don't want to feel chained to the pen either. Thanks for answering the other questions too!

From that Bookbinders link from a few days ago (about a different diary:

This diary is perpetual so may be started at any time and any year. In this 3 year diary you get 7 lines for each day. You fill the first 7 lines on each page, and once you come around 12 months later you fill in the next 7 lines, so you can reflect on just how far you have come.
https://www.bookbindersonline.com.a...-year-diary-perpetual-diary-journal-by-midori

It's an interesting idea and a good way to encourage re-reading the entries from previous years.

From what I know, it's the covers that sell out, not the planners.

In any case, I got through after like 100 attempts on 2 devices. Psyched to finally get a Techo after following these threads for years!

From what I know, it's the covers that sell out, not the planners.

In any case, I got through after like 100 attempts on 2 devices. Psyched to finally get a Techo after following these threads for years!

That's what I'm worried about. I always get a Mother cover.

Edit: Now I can't even access the site. ;_;

tiijj

If you order today, do they send it in a few days or do they wait until Nov-Dec? I usually order mine early Dec.

Got my order in this morning after giving up last night. Got Techos with the Navy and Hydrangea covers for my gf and her friend (she wanted to give one as a gift), and just got a Techo without a cover for myself. I bought an extra cover a couple years ago so I might use that, or just reuse the 1994 cover I'm using now because I like it alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom