• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 is the year Nintendo gets a new console. What was your best Wii U experience?

I think 3D World and Windwaker HD were the highlights for me. Playing the system one last time with TP remaster. Looking forward to getting a switch day 1.

My wife and I beating each other's best runs on the Donkey Kong game in Nintendoland until we were both able to reach multiple boards.

Pila

Stuff I'll remember about the Wii U:

Monster Hunter. MH3U was my first game in the series, it was pure love <3 500+ hours on that thing. Awesome, awesome, awesome game.

Tropical Freeze. I was such a big fan of the SNES games back in the day, TF was just great.

Playing Nintendo Land with my mom :) it's been great because she actually had a good time, she managed to beat me couple of times and she was excited about that, amazing family time.

Wii U had its moments.

Caramello

I have a lot of great memories but the one that sticks out the most for me is playing Luigi's Ghost Mansion with friends.

Chastten

Banned
Difficult one.

On one hand I played Xenoblade Chronicles X for close to a 150 hours over a 5-6 week period, which hasn't happened to me for any other game since quitting WoW. Despite it's flaws it was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

On the other hand the countless multiplayer evenings we had with 8 player Smash or NintendoLand gotta count for something. Those were absolutely hilarious.

I'll wait with my final decision though. I'm still playing games on it (just finished Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3 and gonna start Lego City Undercover this week) so we'll see if something else comes up.

Violet_0

Banned
Tropical Freeze and Splatoon, though the latter ended up taking over far too much of my free time

in general, I can say that getting a Wii U was a pretty stupid move. It barely had any games that interested me, no new Zelda or actual 3D Mario game or other Nintendo titles that caught my eyes, mostly terrible 3rd party support. It's easily the worst Nintendo console I've owned, regarding the available game library

I could wax poetic for a long, long time on my Wii U experience, but I'll distill it to a few paragraphs. Or not.

My best Wii U experience honestly came from me rising to the occasion to build a community of Wii U owners while times were really rough (the early 2013 drought).

After spending a number of weeks on Reddit's /r/WiiU reporting on Wii U eShop news and indie games coming to the system, the powers that be allowed me to have control of the subreddit since they honestly did not seem to care to do their jobs since they were noticeably busy elsewhere. From there, the past three years was basically myself (and eventually a team of eager Nintendo fans) worked to create a hub for Wii U owners to hang out, have fun, get Wii U news, share their NNIDs, and play games with each other. I built a modteam over time that would be efficient in coming up with new ideas, as well as doing general mod stuff like post removal and combating spam.

I also personally pushed to get people to support the smaller devs that were pushing out quality material on the eShop, and I continually covered eShop news for well over 100 weeks (in a row). Also got to chat with many developers including Yacht Club Games (Shovel Knight), GalaxyTrail (Freedom Planet), and Curve Digital (Stealth Inc. 2), among many others who hopped on to do AMAs for their projects.

We also did a bit of grassroots promotion of upcoming games in order to get the community really interested in them. I recall our campy little Splatoon promo supposedly being so good, people thought Nintendo paid us off or that we allowed their marketing people to come to Reddit to directly engage with fans. There was even a point where some people on the subreddit banded together to make a Wii U game, though it never went beyond the prototype stage.

It's kinda weird that my Wii U experience is focused more on the community rather than the console, which I have created many memories with while I attended college. Even became a mainstay at the college's local multiplayer games club and got to run that with a friend during my senior year. We did a Smash 4 launch event that had a great turnout, and one of our best meets had Nintendo Land as the main attraction, when it was my first time getting to use thr main TV in our lounge.

My Wii U experience was just so much more than I imagined from the get-go, and I'm really proud of what I've been able to create, and how things have shaped up over the years.

Nowadays, I'm on the modteam for the Nintendo Switch subreddit, so I'm hoping to do some more community building there as well with a newer team that I'm a part of.

watershed

Banned
This thread reminds me of how glad I am that the Switch seems to be doubling down on local multiplayer. The way console gaming is going, it seems like Nintendo is the only one still focusing on the fun of local multi.

Monocle

The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 rocked my face. I bought my Wii U for Bayonetta 2. So worth it.

Plus Smash 4 ended up being awesome. Great system changes, great roster, awesome guest characters and DLC stages.

Clefargle

Bayo 2 was a blast to play. Really enjoyed the whole ride from the salt during the announcement to playing on the highest difficulty mode. Really well done and enjoyable title.

Smash 4 was a two year hype train that delivered in every way for me. I love all the new challengers and returning veteran picks. The game felt very lovingly made with a lot of content. It's an excellent entry with the best roster of any fighting game (imo). Solid entry and it ran at the Wii U max res/fr.

Zombi U, just played through it again and what a ride. It's not perfect but it has a unique atmosphere and does a good job of building and sustaining tension. Great use of the gamepad and a great time.

Waiting for 2 years so that it had the required 10 games I wanted to justify the purchase of the machine, although at that point it was over 10. It was amazing to go to a few stores and pick up such a massive pile of quality games all at once. Not only that, but the support for titles for the system was above and beyond what was reasonable for a console in that position for the following years (Splatoon, Captain Toad, Yoshi, Mario Kart 8 DLC, Mario Maker).

I'm going to be using this console for a long time after it's final game has been released for sure.

fireflame

I am getting a wii u bundled with 17 games by the end of the week, so i am not able to say which was my best experience but in a few months maybe:)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Exploring the world in Xenoblade X. While the game has many issues that the original didn't, the world was infinitely more captivating than the usual open world, with a diverse variety of settings, unique verticality, and great music while exploring.

bjork

Watching Mario Maker videos. I've never actually touched a Wii U or seen one in person outside of a store.

My memories of Wii U...

- I took a break from games for two years and then bought a Wii U. The first game that I really got into was ZombiU and it brought back my love of gaming. It was far from perfect, but at the time it was exactly what I was looking for. It's so unfortunate that we won't get a sequel with that uses the GamePad.

- Prior to owning the Wii U, I had never played a Deus Ex or Splinter Cell game. I picked up Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Splinter Cell: Blacklist and absolutely loved both. I've been hooked on Deus Ex since and have continued wishing for another Splinter Cell game like Blacklist.

- Off-TV Play. I can't stress how important this feature became to me since I moved in with my girlfriend. Being able to still play my console games while she uses the TV is just brilliant. I'm really looking forward to this with the Switch.

- I bought and played a ton of games for Wii U, many of which I absolutely loved. It has a great library. Major highlights for me include Xenoblade Chronicles X, The Wonderful 101, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Mario 3D World, and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. I will always have fond memories of playing these games on Wii U.

- I enjoyed collecting amiibo and I liked being able to use them with the Wii U. Sure, the functionality was extremely limited, but the novelty was neat and the figures themselves were fantastic.

- And hey, Shovel Knight was a pretty darn good experience, too.

Piscus

For me solo, it was Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8. Those two might be the best entries in their respective series'. Loved them sooo much.
Playing Super Mario 3D World with my wife, however, was special. Only game we've ever started and finished together. Even went all out and 100%'d it.

Moff

mario kart probably, playing a really good installment of a classic nintendo franchise in HD and 60fps just made me feel happy. I honestly think it's one of the prettiest games of this generation.

Ossom

Bayonetta 2 was amazing, but best experience would simply be off TV play. It is so convenient to be able to out something else on the TV and then play at the same time. It is a fantastic feature and I am so happy that I will be able to do the same with the Switch.

HF2014

For best experience, Splatoon and Mario Kart 8.

I was not into mario kart games at all. Never get into them, dont ask me why. But MK8 made it to another level. Best racer i had in years.

Splatoon, made me interested in online shooter games, interest iv lost since...Black Ops 1.

MGrant

It was the second Gamecube for me, and I loved the Gamecube. Not disappointed at all with the games I have, as each one scratches an itch that no other game can. Highlights for me include The Wonderful 101, which easily makes my top 5 character action games of all time, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros., Tropical Freeze, and Pikmin 3. Off TV play was a godsend for people who share the living room. Shame it didn't catch on more.

Rayman Legends Co-op was pure gold despite being frustrating at times

Wondeful 101 - Just another example of why Platinum is awesome

Super Mario 3D World - It was one of the games my brother got when he got his Wii-U for Christmas. Playing it with him convinced me to buy my own Wii-U

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Splatoon.

I don't generally play multiplayers. Usually I just play the single player and totally ignore the multiplayer. Splatoon was the other way around. I barely touched the single player. It was a great feeling when I got 1700 points in a match.

The countless hours I spent playing Splatoon. I usually despise online shooters due to their communities, but Nintendo did a fantastic job making it feel accessible to everyone.

I know its not as feature packed as most other Nintendo productions, but I can't help but really love Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, even above the more substantial other Mario and co. platformers on the system. Something about it just strikes me so perfectly.

Mario Kart with friends, Star Fox's great (perhaps even necessary) co-op mode, and putting tons of hours heisting in The Swindle.

Top Bottom