• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 is the year Nintendo gets a new console. What was your best Wii U experience?

My fav experience was seeing mario kart 8 and thinking omg! That looks so good at a time when the ps3 was just about starting to get dropped for 1st part exclusives.
I convinced my mrs that this new nintendo machine was more like a true arcade machine and we never looked back once we purchased it.

I think that the rumours of Nintendo offering incentives to wii u owners will help in installing a big user base but also that My Nintendo will be much more once the switch is released.

My ultimate games on Wii u where 3d world. Smbwu, toad,wooly world, bayo1&2, mario 8, smash, splatoon, nintendo land.

Waiting to hear from Nintendo then preorders are going in for Switch.

woopWOOP

Everything leading up to Smash 4's release for sure and some more with the DLC released after. Analyzing a trailer by the second to figure out a character's moveset and crazy things like that. Ryu's reveal got botched with the hacks, but Cloud was still a mindblowing WTF moment.

Also online in general. Maybe it's because I imported a US Wii into Europe, but for the Wii the online in most Nintendo games was absolutely dreadful. Splatoon and Smash online working pretty well was a pretty big surprise for me and made for some great experiences.

jwhit28

Tropical Freeze. It's like it's from some weird alternate dimension where 2D mascot platformers were still the biggest system sellers and got huge budgets.

CrazyHorse

Watching super Mario maker during the Nintendo world Championships. It made me realise the possibilities with this game.

ajim

Best two games i played on wii u and played the crap out of were Sonic All Star Racing Transformed and Mario.

I hope we get a new sonic all star Racing.

Ninja Dom

Bayonetta 2, the announcement of the game and that it's being published by Nintendo for the Nintendo Wii U. The meltdown on GAF was astonishing!!!

Devils Third, the updated announcement that it was being published by a new unnamed Japanese publisher. And after Nintendo publishing Bayonetta, certain parts of GAF were having a meltdown at the possibility that Nintendo would be publishing Devils Third too. And Nintendo did publish it.

RedFyn

100px-Ability_Ninja_Squid.svg.png
+
Splat_Roller_HQ.png
with a little
thrown in to sweeten the pot.

Emcees journey through C rank was a close second though XD

Neifirst

As maligned as the Wii U was, I got a heckuva lot more enjoyment out of it than the Wii. Several highlights:

• The first Christmas of Wii U playing Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed using off-TV play
  • Putting in over 100 hours on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  • Mario Kart 8 being the greatest entry in the series + the best value proposition DLC of all-time (Zelda! F-Zero!)
  • Enjoying an online shooter for the first time ever with Splatoon
  • Finally getting the Xenoblade Chronicles follow-up and using the gamepad integration to track down every sidequest and collectible

4 player Nintendo Land, more so the Mario chase and luigis mansion portions of it, convinced me to get the system. Really took me back to the old days of couch multiplayer with my brothers.

Would have to say Splatoon is my favorite experience though, not only for Wii U but this gen so far. Online competitive shooters were getting stale for me and then this came along and breathed new light into them. Still jump on for a few games now and then, just trying not to burn myself out before I'm in day 1 on the Switch.

Multiplayer Splatoon and MK8.

Best experience however might be playing ZombiiU on launch day. Managing you items without being able to pause made the game very tense and satisfying. Too bad a lot of games didn't use the gamepad well.

Online multiplayer for splatoon, Mario kart 8 and smash brothers was top notch , loved played that a lot
Bayonetta 2 was also hype
Mario 3D world made me a believer after I slammed it at E3 for not being like Galaxy
Actually finishing twilight princess without wiimotes was fantastic

All in all I had a great time with Wii u but should have waited because $350 + tax + $60 for games on launch killed my wallet

Wii U had a higher percentage of games I loved: NSMBU, Tropical Freeze, SM3DW, W101, Pikmin 3, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, MK8, etc.

But my overall best experience was with Nintendoland. For years it was a fixture of dinner parties with a wide variety of friends. Everyone loved Mario Chase and Sweet Day. It's still the most-requested local multiplayer game when I have friends over (when people actually request videogames, which is not super common).

ramparter

Banned
Tropical Freeze, Mario Bros U, Luigi U my top 3.

Then SM3DW, Mario Maker, Wind Waker HD, DK64 (my only vc purchase), Mario Kart 8, Yoshi Woolly World, Captain Toad...

A lot games I didn't play. Should probably get back into Bayonetta.

MrBadger

Mariokart 8 and Super Mario 3D World provided me with some of the best local multiplayer ever. I think Mario 3D World is unrivalled as the best co-op platformer for two players. Most others either have one player feel incredibly ineffective (Sonic) or the two players constantly get in each other's way or the lesser skilled player becomes a burden (other Nintendo co-op games).

As far as single player goes, Tropical Freeze was everything I could ever want out of a 2D platformer. I'd happily take a third one on Switch. Not right away, but at some point.

I had so many good experiences with the thing. The one that takes the cake though is when, on my birthday, my roommate and I played Beer-io Kart 8, which to this day is my favorite drinking game (on MK8 you have to finish one beer before you finish any given race, but you can't drink and drive, so you have to be fully stopped while you drink. Winner is whoever finished closest to 1st and finished their beer, and loser of the race takes a shot).

But even when no alcohol was involved, the Wii U was a great time. IMO it's greatest successes were in its couch multiplayer, not exactly its single player offerings. DKCTF and Pikmin 3 were high points in SP for sure. But my best memories of the system involved a bunch of friends on the couch playing SM3DW, Smash, Nintendo Land, MK8, etc.

klier

Pikmin 3 for me.

I always loved Pikmin, but this one was just something I never played before, mainly because the way I controlled it: with the TV, the gamepad touchscreen AND Wiimote/nunchuck.
Amazing combo that worked extremely good.

But I have more fond memories. Playing NSMBU co op was great. As was playing 3D World co op.

mmm there a lot of fun game on the wii u, Super Mario 3d World was the first game i played and couldnt put down the controller so much fun, Mario Kart 8 did all the track etc playing online so much fun with gaf member et i still play mk8 every week ,

Farmboy

Most played games are probably Nintendo Land (Luigi, Animal Crossing), Wii Party U (highway rollers) and, surprisingly, Game & Wario (Islands, the pictionary game and the more-fun-than-it-should-be Robot Design thing). Mario Kart and Mario Party too. So yeah, it's a multiplayer party thing.

Also completed NSMBU and 3D World with my girlfriend. Couldn't beat Champion's Road, so I'm definitely slipping (I beat the equivalent levels in Galaxy 2 and 3D Land). We also played both HD Zelda's together.

Only games I did purely by myself are Pikmin 3 (great experience!) and Star Fox Zero (a mixed pleasure but I do think I like it better than the GAF consensus).

Oh, and Super Mario Maker. Made about five levels but two of those really turned out well and are well-liked. Played about 50. So not a die hard player but I had my fun with it.

Great system overall.

Many good experiences. Even with all the hate the Wii U gets here, it's still in the running for my favorite Nintendo console of all time. Wind Waker HD, NSMB U, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, and above all Super Mario 3D World...

I'd have to say the satisfaction of beating Champions Road in Mario 3D World stands as a particular highlight.

... especially this part.

Sneaking in alcohol and having 14 dudes take turns "smashing"

Say whaaaaaaaaat

Sorry, based on your wording, I couldn't resist

trixx

Pikmin probably my favourite franchise so I have to say pikmin 3 followed by splatoon, great game but woulda preferred if they left you completely alone after first couple of days

There were many good ones, but just aesthetically from your question I have to say Wii U controller curtains was the most hilarious experience

Malio

My best experience was 200+ hours with Monster Hunter 3U. After that, maybe a bit of MK8...then jack shit.

My next best experience will be when I sell it.

Back in 2014 when Smash Wii U came out, we had a Christmas party where me and a bunch of other peeps played 8-player Smash. It was a grand, gay ol' time.

Fully playing through DKC Tropical Freeze was love, too.

Probably marathoning Splatoon during the summer it came out, or Smash Bros at release with all my friends. I'm still having fun with the console though, playing Xenoblade Chronicles X atm, which is great fun.

Splatoon thread!! Easily my my favorite Wii U exclusive game.

And I'll give a shoutout to Tropically freeze any chance I get.

Pikmin 3. I got it after the patch that enabled gamepad controls, which is how I played it.

It was great, and got me to pick up the first two games too.

DNAbro

Either 8 player Super Smash Bros in my college dorm or playing the entirety of Super Mario 3D World in 4 player co op.

Justinh

My favorite experience might be weird, but it was Shovel Knight.

I played it first on Wii U and it freaking ruled! Besides Wind Waker HD, it was the only game I even completed on Wii U, even though I do have some games I bought that I haven't even booted but I'll play them... like, someday maybe.

Davey Cakes

The launch.

I'm dead serious.

I had a launch party with 12 people around the TV playing Nintendo Land and it was fantastic. Everyone had a great time with Mario Chase, Luigi's Ghost Mansion, and Animal Crossing Sweet Day. It actually WAS a different experience to have one person on the Gamepad and 3-4 players on the other controllers. It certainly felt new.

Runner up would be a more traditional experience: Mario Kart 8. Everything about that game in terms of the multiplayer racing aspect (not so much battle mode or the lackluster single player) was phenomenal. Great tracks. Really competitive online community that's still well-populated even today. The DLC package was one of the best ever and extended the game's life tremendously. And, man, it was a treat to try out 200cc, with a level of speed previously unknown to Kart.

eaise

Neo Member
For me it was definitely Xenonblade Chronicles X. Put a total of 250 hours into that game and enjoyed every minute of it. The huge open world was amazing and so much fun to explore. The different areas are so distinctive from each other it's like having multiple worlds to explore. The different classes (and the fact you could combine classes) gave me tons of different things to try. And then on top of that there was the mechas which provided a completely different way to do combat.
Not only did I love playing XCX by myself I really enjoyed the multiplayer aspect of the game too. Even though it wasn't exactly what I wanted (open world multiplayer would have been amazing) I still meet some really cool people and got tons of extra play time from the multiplayer part of the game.

If the rumor of a port to the Switch is true I'll think about getting it again. And if they add extra content (I doubt they will) it'll be a definite buy.

atpbx

For me?

Cancelling my Wii U pre order after seeing some of the pre launch reviews.

Best £299 I never spent.

Shahadan

Nintendoland cause I could play it with regular people and we'd all have a lot of fun and it felt new. And they could win.
No other game ever came close to achieving that. Wii Sports tried but failed imo.

Edit: I remember a day when a guy (a philosophy teacher, lol) came to my house, saw the Wii U and started to hate on the thing for any reason he could think of. We tried Nintendoland and Mario Chase and I saw him litterally eat his own words and refuse to stop playing for like 3 hours straight.

TEJ

Trying out the bayonetta 2 demo for the first time. After bayo 1 I knew I was getting into something special but my body was not prepared for this.

Bayonetta 2 is the best game on the system.

ReBirFh

To me it was Xenoblade Chronicles X, the only open world where I didn't get bored midway through and probably the first where just exploring the world felt rewarding (I didn't rush to get the mech, did all side missions I could find and tried toactivate every waypoint possible without the mech) but the ending was a big letdown.

Without much time to play I really don't regret my purchase and even after selling some games I still have a backlog of Wii U games to finish (Captain Toad, Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3 and some others)

Finished Wii U Games: Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros, Wind Waker, Lego City, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Twilight Princess.

Pikmin 3. First one I played and one of my all time favorites. Fresh gameplay ideas, gorgeous graphics, and relaxing gameplay. Best looking fruit in gaming 👍🏾

Galang

Banned
Playing through 3D World is my pick. I feel the game is underrated due to coming right after SMG2, but I had just as much fun. Would have got a lot of replay value if it had online

I share a lot of memories listed here, even looking netflix in the gamepad while cooking lol

I think every title I have on Wii U gives me a incredile fun moments like Bayo 2, DKCTF, 3D World, MK8 and TW101 but I think Splatoon hype last longer than anything.

I was playing it almost 10 months non stop and I dont give a f about multiplayer in general

For my, most fun console in this gen so far

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Just the whole launch era with Nintendoland and Miiverse was fucking great for me.

- Some of the Nintendoland games had a great "gotta beat my high score!" feel, and I always wanted to outdo my friends on Miiverse

- Metroid, Animal Crossing, and Mario Chase were so damn fun with a few friends.

- NSMBU felt like the true successor to Super Mario World. It was the first Mario game where I felt compelled to get 100%

- seeing everybody's insanely great artwork on Miiverse. IMO it was a lot more interesting before they introduced stamps

Sad that Wii U fell so far short of its potential.

Playing nsmbu in bed. My console is on the first floor and my bedroom is right above it. I get signal from my bed. Posted through most of nsmbu that way while I was in bed with my son while he napped

TriBlade

First is MH3U. Its my first MH game, now I'm a huge fan.

Second is Xenoblade X. Although I haven't finish it yet, what I've experience so far is amazing.

abbyabs

Best single player experience has to be Wind Waker HD

Best Multiplayer experience has to be Mario Kart 8 split screen with friends

Top Bottom