• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 is the year Nintendo gets a new console. What was your best Wii U experience?

Crayolan

Completing Champion's Road with Mario and no powerups in SM3DW was a hell of an experience.

Also being a part of SplatGAF during the main bulk of the content rollout in the 3-4 months after launch.

And though I didn't post much (had just joined gaf) following the SmashGAF hype train with the pic of the day stuff for Smash 4 was memorable.

Trickytoon

Neo Member
It has to be Super Mario Maker - I'm very definitely *NOT* a content creator but I really enjoyed playing other people's levels, and Patrick Klepek's Mario Maker Mornings was essential viewing for our household during a fairly stressful 2016.

For the best single experience, there's no comparison: clearing Champion's Road in SM3DW in co-op after days upon days of repeated attempts. It was the first time any of us had seen it, and we committed to clearing it on the default bank of 10 lives with no power-ups going in. There was more drama and euphoria in the course of that single stage than in most entire video games I've played.

GamerJM

Banned
I have a lot of issues with the Wii U as a console when looking at it as a console in the greater landscape of the history of video games, but one of my biggest personal issues with it is my own lack of fond memories with the thing.

I guess these,
-Playing through the entirety of Super Mario 3D World over Thanksgiving Break in my dorm. I left my gaming shit there so I just had my mom drop me off at school and I basically locked myself in my dorm for a couple days and did nothing but play it.

-The leadup for Smash 4 hype. It didn't really touch Brawl's, and I knew in my heart of hearts I probably wasn't really going to play this game a whole lot this time around (though the reasons I thought this for ended up being completely different than the reasons that ended up being true), but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I didn't spend way too much time reading those fucking GAF threads. I was pretty much at the height of my depression when everything there was happening and one of my ways to deal with what was happening was to just run away from all of my responsibilities and read every single shitpost in those topics. I hardly posted in them, but I read nearly. every. post. Which is insane considering how active they were throughout the day. Some days I'd spend several hours just catching up on old messages. Idk if this is the "best," but it's certainly memorable.

-Going to EVO and beating more people than I lost against at Pokken. Most of them were probably scrubs who didn't play it as their primary game and just entered for fun, but then again, so was I.

Kazooie

Banned
I mean I know you said experience and not game, but I find it hard to differentiate.

I couldn't stop smiling whenever I played Mario Kart 8. It looked beautiful, ran beautiful, was so funny to play, I loved the courses and the characters and the DLC, even the online was good for Nintendo. The whole game just romanced me. It's the best and most definitive Mario Kart hands down and I can't wait to repurchase on Switch.

Zyrox

Never owned a Wii U so my favorite Wii U experience was probably reading the Bayo 2 reveal thread here on GAF. Boy that was a lot of entertainment.

UrbanRats

Didn't have a single experience, but finally getting to play Bayonetta (1 and 2) solidified my love for the character action game genre, before that i loved the two Ninja Gaiden, but hated God of War, so i wasn't sure if NG was just a random thing.

Also, finally getting to play a 3D Mario without the goddamn wiimotion bullshit that i hated so much, playing Galaxy (can't stand split controllers, and the pointer was a nightmare in my set up, plus fuck using batteries).

The best experience though was getting the WiiU off a dude for only 170€, because he couldn't pirate games on it.
At the time, it was really an amazing price.

Thatanas

Nintendoland, kinda the same feeling as Wii Sports. The Hide and Seek games, where the visuals and gameplay were different for the main screen and Gamepad were exactly what I wanted.

Plus, the game was extremely fun to me.

TheOasis

I'm glad to be seeing the W101 love in this thread. It has very unique gameplay and a combat system that is deep and high quality enough to rival that of Bayonetta. Also, it contains one of the most spectacular and sublime finales in a video game that I might possibly have ever experienced. God, please let this game be ported to Switch because it deserves to be played by more people.

On the other hand, I found Xenoblade X to be such an engrossing experience that I played for many, many hours every day for an entire month. The game literally consumed all my free time during that month and I don't regret it so I'm going to have to go with it as my choice.

1. Playing through the entirety of Super Mario 3D World with two friends. So much fun. Please keep local Multiplayer alive, Nintendo!

2. Splatoon online ranked modes. My favorite online multiplayer ever. The game has so much depth, and the players on higher ranks are really skilled, when I finally got to S+ rank, it felt like an achievement.

3. Bayonetta 2 on Infinite Climax. Best action game since Bayo 1. Now I'm waiting for Bayo 3 for the Switch, please.

chrixter

Laboring on Super Mario Maker levels and then watching people enjoy them might be the most joyous, rewarding experience I've ever had in 25+ years of gaming.

Becoming a competitive Smash Bros. player. I've never played a game so much in my life, and it had actually caused me to barely play other games and lessen my time in other hobbies, but I don't see myself stopping.

1. Playing Bayonetta 2 OffTV on ma bed
2. Playing Xenoblade Chronicles X
3. Mario 3D World
4. Mario Kart 8 Online
5. Smash 4 in general (3DS version was rather barebones)
6. Playing MH3 multiplayer with a friend on WiiU and 3DS
7. Pikmin 3
8. W101
9. Splinter Cell Blacklist
10. Rayman
1. W101
2. Tropical Freeze
3. Pokken
4. Splatoon
5. Smash

Those too and also Tekken Tag 2 and Most Wanted

SMattera

Playing Mario Chase in between drinks at the few house parties I hosted over the last few years. Probably some of the most fun I've had playing video games since I was a kid.

Honorable mentions: The Wario Ware pictionary rip-off. Couch co-op Super Mario 3D World. Mario Kart 8.

EhoaVash

Smash 4 hype train was so awesome for me.

Then when the game came out I spent hundreds of hours into it. Still play this game almost every week.

Cloud is now my favorite character in the game.

Also I enjoyed xenoblade X quite a lot. Best open world feels I got from a game.

Haganeren

I could talk about The Wonderful 101 which is now my favorite BTA of all time.
I could talk about Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze which is now one of my favorite plateformer of all time.

.... But to be honest, it was Smash 4 before it always was one of my favorite gaming experience ever and Smash 4 is the strongest entry i have seen. The hype before the game was cool but what i loved is every patch leading to the current balance with everyone trying (and still trying !) to find new stuff. Just saying Nairo (?) taking Bowser to win in the last tournament was incredible.

Smash 4 just filled me with awesome discussions and memories, either by playing it, discussing it and looking at tournament. The whole DLC characters stuff was hype at hell too !

Calvero

Banned
asymmetric co-op/competitive games on Nintendoland, most notably the Toad (Mario Chase there you go) and Luigi's Mansion games. so much god damn fun. i don't think i've had as much fun in those as i've had anywhere else. they did get old after a while though, too bad it never received dlc or something. Nintendoland would have been perfect for it.

ZombiU was a thrilling experience. Tense but not too tense, and a whole lot of fun.

WWHD was also dope to see being remastered since it's among my favorite Zelda games.

Smash 4 hype train of course was a ton of fun on gaf.

Playing Pikmin 3 with my girlfriend and playing Mariokart 8 with my girlfriend and son.
And watching my girlfriend and son playing Yoshi, Mario, etc.

There were some extremely great games on this console.

Definitely The Wonderful 101 for me. I bought that game before I had any solid plans to buy a Wii U, just because it looked so amazing and I wanted to support my main man Kamiya. I ended up scooping up a Wii U when one of the big retailers in Australia dumped Nintendo overnight ($214 for a Premium from Dick Smith less than a year after release), so W101 was both the first game I ever played for the system and the best game on the system.

I can't point to one specific moment because the game is so long and its hype curve is so assymptotic that by the end you're just struggling to stay conscious while it's tearing your face off. But the first Laambo fight is definitely one (of many) standouts. A great big dinosaur man with a giant sword taunts you through the whole level, first coming at you in a giant tank on a baseball field, then showing up with a giant three-headed dragon in a bossfight that legit lasts a good half an hour.

w101.gif

Kamiya's masterpiece. I don't necessarily think it's Platinum's best game, but it is Platinum's most Platinum game, and that's something very special indeed.

LordKano

Xenoblade Chronicles X, without any doubt. Probably the only Wii U game that will figure in my top 20-30 of best video games.

Mathieran

Banned
Wonderful 101 is my favorite game I think.

Pikmin 3 probably had the best "yep this thing provides a unique experience" moment when I was using the game pad for the map and the Wiimote for controls

Jobbs

Banned
Smash 4 with my niece.

She's 9 and she mains Ganon and Charizard and she's really good. I main Dedede and Lucina and sometimes Kirby.

akashhhhh

Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon and MK8 are all very fond memories for me.

Yoshi's Wooly World is growing on me as well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not a specific game but the offtv feature
With the arrival of my son in 2012 And my daughter this year it was a game saver

ranmafan

The Wii U is such a fun console, and I have many great experiences with it, but the best experiences by far all are attributed to one game, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. When the game was first announced as Shin Megumi Tensei vs Fire Emblem, it had me so excited and had me wanting to get a Wii U, even with practically no information whatsoever about what the title was about or what type of game we would get. When it was finally unveiled as #FE, while the vast majority of people at the time were confused and even angry at the direction the game took with its idol aspects, I was absolutely intrigued and fascinated by it. It quickly became my most anticipated title.

Dec. 2015 comes around and it ends up being the last game I get that year thanks to its end of the year release. For two weeks I was completely absorbed in the game. I loved every moment, every character, every dungeon, every secret, every song. It was a game I needed at the time too. A perfect game that made me not only enjoy its great gameplay, but bring a smile to my face. Easily my game of the year for 2015, and my all time favorite Wii U game. Plus one of the best games Ive played the last ten years.

But not only that it brought me joy in many other ways. Thanks to that game I got to see an amazing concert for the game with most of the cast performing their songs live on stage. An amazing show that Im shocked has not been released on bluray still (the concert was filmed like the Fire Emblem anniversary one but alas no release). But Ive gotten every bit of goods for the game I can, and I still listen to the cd a lot. So much so my daughter even has come to love it and she sings the songs all the time. That always brings a smile to my face.

So yeah the Wii U will always be a great system in my mind for that game alone. My hope is its not forgotten and that somehow, Switch or some future system, gets a port of it one day. I really don't want to see it never show up again. Such a great experience.

Beegeous

Wind Waker HD all day for me as well as playing Mario 64 on the game pad whilst the missus was watching Location, Location, Location.

Eliseo

Xenoblade X.

It was an awesome game from start to finish, didn't sleep much during december and january while trying to get the best gear and making my skell super OP, good stuff =D.

SuomiDude

I think playing through the whole Yoshi's Woolly World with my wife in 2 player co-op. She's not too much into gaming, but she enjoys watching me playing games and in rare occasions she wants to play as well. Yoshi's Woolly World is one of those cases, so the game's got a special place in my heart. We're actually doing a second playthrough at the moment, the game's just that good.

correojon

Playing Splatoon's Global Testfire is a magical memory, gives me the same chills as thinking about my first day with the SNES and SMW.

Watching people olay my levels in SMM, playing other Gaffers' levels and the awesome GAF community which built around it in the OT. This finally made me start making my own game :)

Beating Rodin in Bayo2, it took a lot of hours in several days to be able to do it perfectly.

Exploring Mira In XenobladeX, such an amazing world.

Tropical Freeze made give it the 101% to beat all levels with all the KONG letters and Puzzle Pieces. And that was only the training mode for Time Attack!

Playing MK8 with some friends who'd never played videogames. So much chaos and fun!

Beating Skyward Sword with my girlfriend, who had only played MK8 before. So many awesome moments.

I'm very happy with my WiiU, hope Switch is able to keep up!

Top 10. No particular order.

New Super Mario Bros U/Luigi U
Super Mario 3D World
The Wonderful 101
Mario Kart 8
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros. for WiiU
Captain Toad
Tokyi Mirage Sessions #FE

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fruit Thief forever.

eMraXxn.jpg

A truly excellent local multiplayer experience which, while possible on other hardware, really exemplified good asynchronous multiplayer design.

Little Inferno. I loved it, whimsical, funny, sad... A brilliant little game!

I also enjoyed playing most of Deus Ex on the gamepad in bed. Glad that the idea of being able to play away from the TV will live on with the Switch.

Mesoian

Wonderful 101, followed by Bayo 2, followed by Splatoon, followed by Hyrule Warriors.

Still amazed how much time I sunk into Hyrule Warriors.

BooJoh

Playing through Mario 3D World, then Captain Toad. Mario Kart 8 was amazing too.

I think one of the top ones for me was playing through MH3U, transferring my save between my Wii U and 3DS. It was one of my favorite features and that alone tells me I'm going to love Switch.

Betty

Banned
When I bought it a few years in on Ebay for £200 and got 6 games with it including

Super Mario 3D World (loved)
ZombieU (loved)
Super Mario Bros U (loved)
Mario Kart 8 (loved)
Bayonetta 1 & 2 (main reason for buying and I loved them both)
Donkey Kong Tropcial Freeze (mostly enjoyed)

It was fun catching up on so many great games.

CPCunha

For me nothing will ever beat the local multiplayer factor. I got the U at launch (was actually there in NY, taking part of the event on Best-Buy and then on Nintendo World Store) like i always do with Nintendo hardware... and usually i'm alone in this... but with the WiiU got my friends into it HARD. I'm so glad that my "crew", around 10 people, are now connected to the gaming world because of this machine. 7 of them bought the thing based only on how much fun we had playing it as a group, be it on casual games like Nintendo land, Wii Party U, Game and Wario, Pictoparty, or in more advanced stuff like Smash, affordable space exploration, MK, Splatoon... the net result was extremely positive. People that had never touched a video game controller before, are now messaging me with pics of their TVs to show me they now have 3 stared MK (my friends girlfriend... she was SO PROUD she did it she couldn't wait to tell the boyfriend who was asleep). Anyways, don't ever change Ninty. This is your thing, you make people believe.

<3

Sadist

01: Mario Kart 8, because it's the best MK game I've ever played
02: Pikmin 3, well... it was awesome.
03: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, best DK game
04: Smash Bros for Wii U, return to form
05: ZombiU, because that was fucking tense

Honestly, everything.

Playing the best game on the system, The Wonderful 101.

Playing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse with my niece.

The Mummy-Me Maze Forever in Captain Toad.

Wii U got me into Mario Kart and Smash.

Hyrule Warriors my first Musou is a legit good game.

Tropical Freeze... dat soundtrack! Best 2D platformer ever?

Giant Enemy Cat
Bowser

The final boss in Splatoon.

Playing Bayonetta 2 earlier on my import system.

ika

-Exploring Mira in XBC X
-Designing levels in Super Mario Maker (one of my dreams as a child)
-Bayonetta 1+2
-Killing time in Hyrule Warriors (better than I expected)
-Finally a good Yoshi game
-Miiverse

andytjm

Neo Member
Creating levels in Super Mario Maker and having people play them and enjoy them was extremely satisfying.

Xenoblade Chronicles X impacted me for life. Never before have I been so impressed in a game's visual design and sheer scale, mesmerized by its incredible music and immersed in its phenomenal world. It also made me discover the original Xenoblade (through XC 3D).

Star Fox Zero, despite its flaws, was a thoroughly enjoyable arcade romp for me. It's my favorite StarFox, and the gyro aiming is genius. Without the dual screen gimmick and with significantly better graphics, a good few more of the good levels (like Corneria) and fewer/none of the obviously filler ones, but keeping the world, visual style, music, vehicles (sans GyroWing) and gyro aiming, it could be one of the greatest rail shooters I've ever played.

I know that's a lot of caveats, but the core really is superb and it breaks my heart that it's most likely going to be dropped forever.

Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, NSMBU and Smash were all extremely good games on their own right, but also as someone who was a huge Nintendo fan but skipped the Wii, a very nostalgic return to Nintendo for me.

I also got to experience Bayonetta 2, which I don't think needs much explanation.

Finally, Off-TV. I still think that the Gamepad is powered by magic given that I cannot achieve its absolute rock solid stability wirelessly with PS4 RP or Steam Streaming no matter how much I spend in networking gear. The Off-TV use case has been a godsend for my lifestyle and it's the main reason I can't wait for the Switch.

Top Bottom