• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 PC Screenshot Thread

OtisInf

what you added aren't thumbnails though :) They're the full picture, just downsized in the browser. That will put a serious hit on people who browse this thread on mobile: they have to pull the complete shot. So please do as everyone else: post 2 shots per post, then no need to quote them. No need to remove the post, just keep 2 shots in the post, post the rest later on ;)

what you added aren't thumbnails though :) They're the full picture, just downsized in the browser. That will put a serious hit on people who browse this thread on mobile: they have to pull the complete shot. So please do as everyone else: post 2 shots per post, then no need to quote them. No need to remove the post, just keep 2 shots in the post, post the rest later on ;)
Oh, okay, sorry for that, i translated word thumbnail wrong then. Will do in the future, i actually rarely do more then 2 screenshots per day and i just posted all stuff i had to introduce myself.

FoxSpirit

Oh, okay, sorry for that, i translated word thumbnail wrong then. Will do in the future, i actually rarely do more then 2 screenshots per day and i just posted all stuff i had to introduce myself.
Oh yeah, another one: please no jpeg format, eventhough your compression is really low :)

PhilGPT

Welcome aboard! :)

Oh yeah, another one: please no jpeg format, eventhough your compression is really low :)
JPG's are fine, if you know what you're doing... There is a handy guide in the OP that explains how to resize/convert images using FastStone Image Viewer.

MrPickle

32878216694_90ba485371_o.jpg

33564587992_10b35efe06_o.jpg

FoxSpirit

JPG's are fine, if you know what you're doing... There is a handy guide in the OP that explains how to resize/convert images using FastStone Image Viewer.
Then the OP is at odds with itself:

• Compression: Don't compress your screens or use a host that compresses them (Steam, Imgur).
Weird.

MrPickle

• Compression: Don't compress your screens or use a host that compresses them (Steam, Imgur).
Weird.

If done correctly, the compression is not noticeable to the human eye as stated within the link from the first page. There are also comparison shots.
There really is no need for PNG's if done right.

midhras

Guys, PNG's are compressed as well. DEFLATE is what it's called. You can further use other algorithms (PNGcrush, Paeth, whatever). At times a lossless compression PNG can be smaller than a 100 percent jpeg. There's no single optimal way to make sure your files aren't bigger than they need to be. (I'm no expert on these matters by far, mind. Please correct me if talking out of the ass.)

Timu

Guys, PNG's are compressed as well. DEFLATE is what it's called. You can further use other algorithms (PNGcrush, Paeth, whatever). At times a lossless compression PNG can be smaller than a 100 percent jpeg. There's no single optimal way to make sure your files aren't bigger than they need to be. (I'm no expert on these matters by far, mind. Please correct me if talking out of the ass.)
They're aren't as compressed as JPGs though.

midhras

Sure, I was just pointing out the obvious. This:

Compression: Don't compress your screens or use a host that compresses them (Steam, Imgur).

really should have the words 'too lossily' tossed in. Or somesuch.

Coreda

Weird.

I've brought this up before. Basically it seems the point is to let people know anything with apparent visual compression artifacts is a no-no, seeing as Steam applies lossy compression to uploads (and downscales 1080p+ uploads afaik), and Imgur too for images over a certain filesize (despite their FAQ, though depending on the image it can be imperceptible). Though it could just say that. *Shrug*

Parsnip

I suppose it would be more accurate to say 'don't post screens with compression artifacts or use a host that heavily compresses them (Steam, Imgur)' or something along those lines.

Anyways, the jpg compression guide is in the OP as well, and generally speaking ~98% jpg (not 100% :p ) is significantly smaller than a png and indistinguishable from lossless in most situations.

jediyoshi

I've brought this up before. Basically it seems the point is to let people know anything with apparent visual compression artifacts is a no-no, seeing as Steam applies lossy compression to uploads (and downscales 1080p+ uploads afaik), and Imgur too for images over a certain filesize (despite their FAQ, though depending on the image it can be imperceptible). Though it could just say that. *Shrug*

Imgur can have lossless uploads.

Coreda

Imgur can have lossless uploads.

According to their current FAQ any non-animated images over 1MB for anonymous uploads and 5MB for registered users are lossily compressed (apart from lossless optimizations like the removal of metadata/etc). So for registered users it's probably fine for the most part. For large PNGs I'm not sure how it's handled, potentially so long as you keep below the 20MB non-animated upload limit it may be lossless.

Someone said they didn't believe there was any compression of JPEGs on Imgur a couple weeks ago and uploaded two JPEG screenshots, one on Abload the other on Imgur. I did a difference comparison in Photoshop and they weren't identical (as per the FAQ suggests), though the compression in that case was barely perceptible. They've become a lot better than what it used to be.

shandy706

Nothing special being done here (vanilla game). I play it at 4k/30. Just real time time shots...not photo-mode.

I honestly believe this is the best looking racing game there is during gameplay/real-time.

forzahorizon33_30_201noap9.png

forzahorizon33_30_201c8a2n.png

Really liking those shots Lime.

I just replayed a couple years ago, but man do i have a Mass Effect-sized hole in my heart where Andromeda was supposed to go, and it's really making me want to replay the trilogy.

It's really impressive what the texture packs do to make the game look "modern"

Top Bottom