• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 Winter Olympics: Pyeongchang, Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

20100630052445!Pyeongchang2018.jpeg

Pyeongchang Beats Munich, Annecy to Host 2018 Winter Olympics

Pyeongchang will host the 2018 Winter Olympics after beating Munich and Annecy, France, in its third bid to bring the event to South Korea.

The town, located in the Taebaek mountains 130 kilometers (80 miles) east of Seoul, won in the first round of voting by International Olympic Committee members today in Durban, South Africa. Pyeongchang had lost out on the 2010 and 2014 Winter Games, which went to Vancouver and Sochi, Russia.

Pyeongchang, which used Olympic figure skating champion Kim Yuna and Samsung Electronics Co. Chairman Lee Kun Hee to lobby support, becomes the second Asian nation to host the Winter Olympics. Japan staged the event in Sapporo in 1972 and Nagano in 1998.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...nich-annecy-to-host-2018-winter-olympics.html

Sealda

Banned
Im in Seoul right now, i wonder if there will be any celebrations. I think, the korean government knows how to get these things. They understand how its done.

Peru

Dave Inc. said:
I forgot why the Olympics were important, can anyone remind me?

Are you serious? Have you ever participated in a neogaf olympics thread to see people partying it up to hours upon hours of sports they'd never get to see otherwise and generally having a hell of a GLOBAL time?

Peru

So it's an event filled with sports nobody cares about and... that makes it important?

Jeez, man. People from all over the world gather to compete, and watch, sports - some huge in certain parts of the world, like hockey, some huge in other parts of the world, like nordic skiing, some sports that don't get much international coverage at all the rest of the time. It builds interest in sports, in physical activities, in other countries.

Then there's the whole flowers n rainbow ideal of a world coming together, getting closer, making friends, being equals - you may or may not choose to be cynical about the reality of that, but at least it's a good idea.

Dina said:
It's time to count how many people confuse this with Pyongyang.
Well, I was thinking to myself that it looked like a foreign way of writing Pyongyang, but that it couldn't possibly that city, because, well you know...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Dave Inc. said:
I forgot why the Olympics were important, can anyone remind me?

no, we know very little about the olympics and it's history, knowledge lost to man forever... if only you could remember, please try...

Kurtofan

Souldriver said:
Well, I was thinking to myself that it looked like a foreign way of writing Pyongyang, but that it couldn't possibly that city, because, well you know...
They have the biggest stadium in the world.

omgkitty

After this choice and the World Cup choices, they don't ever want me to go to a cool multi-national event! I would love to go to London next year, but I'm poor and I'd rather go to the Euro's anyways.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Wow. South Korea have been hammering for the Winter Olympics since Nagano won the bid in '94. Glad to see they finally got it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Regulus Tera said:
Too bad they always fall on World Cup years. That takes out a bit of their spotlight.
Are you kidding? World Cup & Winter Olympics months apart is an awesome sporting experience. My only issue is that Tour de France and Wimbledon usually get caught up in the midst of the WC.

If there's any spotlight to be had, it's due to the fact that most of the time the big winners are from the northern hemisphere exclusively.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
JohnTinker said:
Poor France, they've been trying to get the Olympics for years now

Love the mutemath avatar :D, on topic not a fan of the logo for this

Agree with all those who say winter > summer.

I lived is Salt Lake in 2002 and it was amazing and I really hope the US wins an Olympic bid again soon.

Kurtofan

MrHicks said:
how corrupt are olympic event hosting competitions compared to FIFA?
The fuck?It's South Korea, not North Korea.
Just because it's not in Europe doesn't mean it's "oh noes corruption".

Tristam

Dina said:
It's time to count how many people confuse this with Pyongyang.

Pronounced correctly, Pyongyang perfectly rhymes with Pyeongchang--the problem is that American news anchors (don't know how Europeans pronounce it) pronounce the former "Pyohng-yaeng," when it's really "Pyuhng-yahng."

EDIT: To be fair, though, you do have two different romanization schemes at work here.

EDIT 2: I'd love to hear Obama pronounce it properly. Right-wing radio would flip out about his edu-macated furreigner style of speaking, just as they did over "Pahkistan."

NewLib

Banned
I really thought the IOC had jumped the shark and put the Olympics in North Korea for a few seconds there.

Rapstah

I wonder how and/or if North Korea will enter the stadium and report from the country I'm that pretty sure they don't say exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom