• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL players will not participate in the 2018 Winter Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teletraan1

Banned
Don't think pro athletes should have to prop up the Olympics. Too much focus on Men's Basketball and Men's Hockey in especially in Canada detract too much from the other athletes during the only time they have in the spotlight. I would prefer if none of the pro leagues participated tbh.

Sanjuro

Who cares?

I can't really find a stong enough argument on either side. I'd ideally like to see them play, but it doesn't make sense from a competitive angle.

a916

Elliotte Friedman has a really good article about what happened:

LINK

The IOC not willing to give up anything. The NHL, feeling it's not getting anything. The players felt this wasn’t their problem to solve.

Sums it up real nice.

Maybe someone can help clarify, but isn't the NHL one of the least watched pro leagues when you compare them to the likes of the NBA, NHL, MLB, PGA, etc?

ZeroGravity

Maybe someone can help clarify, but isn't the NHL one of the least watched pro leagues when you compare them to the likes of the NBA, NHL, MLB, PGA, etc?
Yes, but hockey is one of the most watched events of the winter olympics, due in large part in recent years because of NHL players.

Just a bunch of shortsighted owners who are too petty to see the big picture. Funny how this was announced after they said they'll have 2 pre-season games in China next season.

Joke league is always a joke.

a916

Just a bunch of shortsighted owners who are too petty to see the big picture. Funny how this was announced after they said they'll have 2 pre-season games in China next season.

Joke league is always a joke.

You do realise that there's more than one side at fault here right? The NHLPA decided not to play ball on the CBA extension and the IOC decided to offset more risk onto the NHL.

mdubs

Banned
The IOC is 100% to blame. They just expect, for the most watched event at the Winter Olympics (meaning huge advertising dollars) that they can just keep all the money, not pay for any of the insurance, and just have the NHL randomly take a break to send their players over there, Greed greed greed which is nothing new for the IOC. They should be sharing some of that advertising revenue with the league to take the break. The tournament is meaningless anyways without the best players there to compete for the gold medal.

lupinko

As much as I love Olympic hockey, Bettman and the owners are on the right here. Also the IOC takes the NHL for granted and just expects the NHL to grovel at their feet. They used to pull this shit with the MLB who never gave in to this BS (hence why baseball and sadly by association, softball were removed from the summer games).

You can ask Islanders fans how they felt after John Tavares got hurt during the Olympics or go back further and ask Senators fans how they felt when Dominik Hasek got hurt during the winter games.

Yes, less people watch the NHL than the NHL.

a916

As much as I love Olympic hockey, Bettman and the owners are on the right here. Also the IOC takes the NHL for granted and just expects the NHL to grovel at their feet. They used to pull this shit with the MLB who never gave in to this BS (hence why baseball and sadly by association, softball were removed from the summer games).

You can ask Islanders fans how they felt after John Tavares got hurt during the Olympics or go back further and ask Senators fans how they felt when Dominik Hasek got hurt during the winter games.

Yes, less people watch the NHL than the NHL.

They also actively made the deal worse this time around by not paying for the expenses... like throw the NHL a bone. They can't even use Olympic highlights either, which is such a petty thing for the IOC to deny the NHL. Apparently exposure is a one way street to the IOC.

Rick Westhead‏Verified account
@rwesthead
Sources: NHLPA’s Don Fehr told agent meeting in Vancouver he expects NHL to stop owners from allowing individual players to go to Olympics.

Ovi better win that cup now.

It's KHL bound next season!

bryehn

Good.

Keep the pro players out of the Olympics.

Nothing stopping Sweden, Finland, Russia, etc leagues from sending pro players. In fact, they'll jump at the chance to play a tournament where can/us players are only 16-17 years old.

JABEE

Good move by the NHL.

I'm happy. No reason to interrupt the NHL season and risk injuring the NHL's best stars so the IOC can make millions.

I care more about the Flyers winning a Cup than the USA winning a Gold Medal for Ice Hockey.

JABEE

LINK

Sums it up real nice.

Yep. Losing John Tavares for the rest of the season in an all-star tournament was a joke. Garth Snow was rightfully pissed off. Imagine Tom Brady or Lebron James going to the Olympics at three quarters of the way into the season only for their teams to lose those players for the rest of the season.

The Islanders need John Tavares on the ice. NHL teams rely heavily on the gate and playoff gate revenues. Losing Tavares can kill your chances at making the playoffs or ruin your stadium deal.

The IOC is greedy and I feel most American NHL fans care more about their team than the USA All Stars competing against Canada and Sweden's A team.

Magni

Everyone involved in this needs to choke on a hockey puck. I am livid. Living in Japan, I don't get many chances to watch high-caliber hockey anymore. Fuck.

Is it too late for things to change?

Quick

Banned
I'm pretty torn on this, because as much as I like seeing most teams ice the best* talent in the world, it really sucks pausing the NHL season. Not only pausing the season, but possibly causing a more tightly-packed schedule if this season is any indication.

The World Cup of Hockey last September pushed back training camps and the NHL had to allow a bye week for each team to compensate for a shorter summer.

I can't say I blame the NHL and the owners, because there's not a lot to benefit from on their end. If anything, it's a liability potentially losing players to injury.

mdubs

Banned

LINK

Sums it up real nice.
Absolutely unbelievable. The NHL was willing to go (seemingly) if they were able to use the Olympic rings in their advertising and the IOC wasn't willing to do that.

Thomas Bach and the IOC are absolutely disgustingly greedy.

Absolutely unbelievable. The NHL was willing to go (seemingly) if they were able to use the Olympic rings in their advertising and the IOC wasn't willing to do that.

Thomas Bach and the IOC are absolutely disgustingly greedy.

The IOC is a putrid organization. I think the NHL's demands were more than reasonable, especially the logo thing and merchandise revenue. But even if the IOC weren't a crock of shit I'd still be against stopping an 82-game season with 20 games left and risking player injuries. It's fucked over teams in the past and it'll continue to fuck over teams.

RevoDS

The IOC is a putrid organization. I think the NHL's demands were more than reasonable, especially the logo thing and merchandise revenue. But even if the IOC weren't a crock of shit I'd still be against stopping an 82-game season with 20 games left and risking player injuries. It's fucked over teams in the past and it'll continue to fuck over teams.

Yeah that kinda shifts the blame here. Both the NHL's demands make sense, either not paying for the players' insurance while they're not playing in the NHL or getting to advertise with the Olympics' logo is a reasonable demand, especially since they were looking for ONE of these, not both.

Mostly though, it makes it seem like the NHL didn't like being treated like a beer league that doesn't matter by the IOC.

Don't think pro athletes should have to prop up the Olympics. Too much focus on Men's Basketball and Men's Hockey in especially in Canada detract too much from the other athletes during the only time they have in the spotlight. I would prefer if none of the pro leagues participated tbh.

The Olympics would not survive without professional track and field stars, swimmers, and figure skaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom