• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 World Cup to begin in November

Status
Not open for further replies.
They still had slaves dying before, the only reason YOU care is because of the world cup.

This is not a defense for the human rights violations related to this World Cup. Regardless of whether or not it occurs without it, there's nothing wrong with anger at more of it happening for a sports event.

jts

...hate me...
If there's no satisfactory alternative arrangements for existing tournaments (which lets face it, there wont be), it'll be interesting how the cards fall in terms of player power and the relationship between clubs and the national sides.

National team selection is 100% optional. If a player is called up, he can drop out. Will the lure of a World Cup be enough to drag the top talent away from domestic and Champions League action? Will there be financial incentives (or even threats?) for players dropping out? There's not a chance in hell the European clubs, and not even just the "elite" ones, are going to see half their squads disapear for 3 months during the season. Absolutely no chance. Even bottom half teams in most of the European leagues are littered with internationally capped players now.

England should send a team of non-league players. Make it a raffle for 23 registered Sunday league players for a holiday and a kick about for 2 weeks.
You're assuming England makes it to the WC.

Abounder

Banned
Hopefully the ratings drop ala the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia...but I think FIFA and the World Cup are too big to outright fail or even change course away from Qatar

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
This is not a defense for the human rights violations related to this World Cup. Regardless of whether or not it occurs without it, there's nothing wrong with anger at more of it happening for a sports event.
Well, obviously; I'm angered too, because I had no idea before they had slaves in Qatar, and I was naive to think that slavery was something of the past, only occurring sporadically in dictatorships.

But I don't see how any of this has anything to do with the sport. I still find awesome that we are going to have a World Cup in Qatar of all places, a country I only had heard from name before; we will learn and see a whole new culture, etc.

And if the world cup will be better in November, then let's play in November, and let the european leagues change their calendars, play in the summer and so (something which southern hemisphere countries ALWAYS do, because of FIFA dates being thought in the north).

Big deal, nothing will happen because of date changes, just a stupid problem with easy solution.

Joni

Hopefully the ratings drop ala the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia...but I think FIFA and the World Cup are too big to outright fail or even change course away from Qatar
They dropped because it was in Sochi, halfway around the world, instead of in Vancouver which is the same timezone.

Not true. A club or player can't refuse a call up unless injured and the country who called the player up can request their own medical to make sure the injury is legit.
A player is allowed to refuse, a club can't refuse a player to go. A lot of players have at one point stated they want to retire from their national team for multitudes of reasons.

Abounder

Banned
They dropped because it was in Sochi, halfway around the world, instead of in Vancouver which is the same timezone.

True but it was also the lowest-rated primetime Olympics in the adults 18-49 demographic ever. Hopefully FIFA and Co. suffer, and they will in the USA

A player is allowed to refuse, a club can't refuse a player to go.

a player is suspended if they refuse. It is why France had so many players come out of retirement because the coach kept calling them up otherwise they would be suspended from club duty

infi

A player is allowed to refuse, a club can't refuse a player to go.

"As a general rule, every player registered with a club is obliged to respond
affirmatively when called up by the association he is eligible to represent on
the basis of his nationality to play for one of its representative teams."

So sayeth FIFA

This World Cup is a sham for many reasons but this is not one of them. Domestic leagues are not the center of the world and they can adjust their calendar for that year accordingly.

ibefhJFdeKYMRU.png

Bumhead

Banned
Not true. A club or player can't refuse a call up unless injured and the country who called the player up can request their own medical to make sure the injury is legit.

If a player wants to drop out of the national side, they will. Especially if it's a decision supported by the club that pays them their multi-million pound a year contract to do so, and especially if it means missing 3 months of the season for that club. Footballers have never held more power over their own careers than they do nowadays.

If there's a massive club and player backlash against this from the European elite the FA's will suddenly become laughably powerless.

alterno69

Banned
There's no way this os financially possible in european leagues. I expect the players asociation will no be happy about this, all this trouble to keep the tournament in a country that bribed their way to it no less.

I just don't see it happening, they should move it to the US.

Joni

"As a general rule, every player registered with a club is obliged to respond affirmatively when called up by the association he is eligible to represent on the basis of his nationality to play for one of its representative teams."

a player is suspended if they refuse. It is why France had so many players come out of retirement because the coach kept calling them up otherwise they would be suspended from club duty

In that case, some national teams seem to make no problem of it because I remember quite a few players doing that because they don't want to appear in the national team anymore. In which case national coaches can choose between calling up people who don't want to go and will show up anyway but play badly.

infi

If a player wants to drop out of the national side, they will. Especially if it's a decision supported by the club that pays them their multi-million pound a year contract to do so, and especially if it means missing 3 months of the season for that club. Footballers have never held more power over their own careers than they do nowadays.

If there's a massive club and player backlash against this from the European elite the FA's will suddenly become laughably powerless.

It would have to be a massive backlash that would force FIFA to change their own rules. If they are willing to go ahead with a winter world cup knowing the backlash I can't see them changing the rules to allow players to miss the world cup.

I hope the clubs and leagues do fight back against this but I can't see anyone willing to risk all that over a winter world cup.

In that case, some national teams seem to make no problem of it because I remember quite a few players doing that because they don't want to appear in the national team anymore. In which case national coaches can choose between calling up people who don't want to go and will show up anyway but play badly.

most coaches respect it when a player has turned over 30 and has a good career of representing the team.

Voting for Qatar is the worst thing FIFA has ever done. Just disgraceful from top to bottom.

Blatantly corrupt, unworkable, human rights infringements, shortsighted, no room for growth there. It basically ticks all the boxes for 'reasons not to vote for a country to hold the World Cup.

Konka

Banned
US gets hot in the summer too, US heatwave could be worst than what we saw in Brazil, they took breaks for 88degrees, US heatwaves can be 90-105degrees depending on location, while US has the facilities to host right now, if we are going through a heat wave it could be bad as Qatar...

Oh please. There's a dome in Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Houston, St. Louis, Detroit, Phoenix, if you're that concerned about the relatively weak possibility of a terrible heat wave. Not to mention cities like Seattle and San Francisco where super hot heat waves aren't typical.

infi

A lot of time the national coaches wont call up players they know will refuse out of respect for the player. You see this a lot with players who have retired from international football.

Abounder

Banned
Higher than Torino in total numbers.

Torino was also an Olympic all-time low, and Sochi lost the key 18-49 demo. In other words it's not good for the IOC and Co.

Hopefully FIFA ratings plummet in the USA and it surely will in Nov/Dec

azyless

And yes, the cultural exchange in a conservative islamic place will absolutely change it, it will not be the bacon of tolerance, but it will make fundamental changes, that are already happening.

Didn't seem like they wanted much "cultural exchange" when their sports minister told gay people they shouldn't go lol. Or the whole clothing debacle :
Launched by a group of Qatari female activists, the online campaign has been considered as a response to the “cultural invasion” of outsiders’ more revealing clothing.
Can't wait for more cultural exchange !!!

That whole thing has been a farce from day one.

Dilly

Banned
US gets hot in the summer too, US heatwave could be worst than what we saw in Brazil, they took breaks for 88degrees, US heatwaves can be 90-105degrees depending on location, while US has the facilities to host right now, if we are going through a heat wave it could be bad as Qatar...

if, could be, can

King_Moc

Banned
We shouldn't enter it then (UK here). I don't see why the far more important Premier League season should be disrupted so that Sepp Blatter can get his moneyhat. Fuck him, and fuck his corrupt minions.

infi

We shouldn't enter it then (UK here). I don't see why the far more important Premier League season should be disrupted so that Sepp Blatter can get his moneyhat. Fuck him, and fuck his corrupt minions.

Yep, I'd rather watch my club play on boxing day than watch a winter world cup.

jelly

Blatter talks absolute BS about spreading good values or whatever by giving the world cup to these countries. Russia and Qatar are a bloody joke. It's only about the money. Countries should change before to be considered and be able to support stadiums etc. post World Cup and not waste funds that could be better spent elsewhere, Brazil basically screwed public funding for the World Cup and people were raging, and masses of people in poverty, South Africa, ghost town of infrastructure and stadiums, poverty etc. still big issues. The World Cup should not be going to these places. FIFA are doing nothing good, only expanding their profit.

Germany, England, France could hold a World Cup easily in no time. Europe could host one across many countries and that is great for fans and I think that should be done more often and for the UEFA cup. A football party across Europe.

Blatter talks absolute BS about spreading good values or whatever by giving the world cup to these countries. Russia and Qatar are a bloody joke. It's only about the money. Countries should change before to be considered and be able to support stadiums etc. post World Cup and not waste funds that could be better spent elsewhere, Brazil basically screwed public funding for the World Cup and people were raging, and masses of people in poverty, South Africa, ghost town of infrastructure and stadiums, poverty etc. still big issues. The World Cup should not be going to these places. FIFA are doing nothing good, only expanding their profit.

Germany, England, France could hold a World Cup easily in no time. Europe could host one across many countries and that is great for fans and I think that should be done more often and for the UEFA cup. A football party across Europe.

I am one of those voices who says: stop building new stadiums that won't be re-used and just hold these events in countries that ALREADY have stadiums and infrastructure built already.

Spain+Portugal has up to date stadiums, infrastructure, good weather, good public transit, affordable food.

England's top EPL teams have modern stadiums already built; public transit is solid,

but nope nope, they chose Putin controversial Russia,

The concept of building a Stadium in the middle of the Amazon (Manaus) that does not even have B League team, a stadium built for one time use then left for dry is super retarded and wasteful.

stop being wasteful; and use the modern stadiums from top teams that are already EXISTING

Should've just brought it to the US. We have every type of stadium you can think of: soccer specific, non-soccer specific, domed with air conditioner. FIFA, we got ya covered.

Bleepey

I cant talk about Spain-Portugal, but Italy would not have the infrastructure in place to support a successful world cup so quickly. Security and racism would be a big issue for any world cup in Italy. There was 2.6 million euro damage done in Rome just last week by Feyenoord fans lol

BTW, I think it should be that the World Cup is in Europe every other tournament. Fuck trying to send it to new places in the world. The simple fact is that without Europe there would not be a FIFA. There would not be all the money pouring in from European television deals that then go to all the federations around the world.

It must have hurt you deep inside to say this.

Subitai

For the US, it isn't just pro gridiron that will distract US sports fans. There are college games on Tues. and Wed. just for TV. The NFL has a game on Thurs. There are thousands of high school games on Friday with a college game on TV. Saturday has college games going for up to 14 hours if ESPN televises a Hawaii game. And then Sunday is NFL for 12 hours.
That is true.

The final in 94 was too hot. Killed the potential for a truly great game
If the US hosted again, the final would be at Jerry World (AT&T Stadium), which is indoors.

jelly

I am one of those voices who says: stop building new stadiums that won't be re-used and just hold these events in countries that ALREADY have stadiums and infrastructure built already.

Spain+Portugal has up to date stadiums, infrastructure, good weather, good public transit, affordable food.

England's top EPL teams have modern stadiums already built; public transit is solid,

but nope nope, they chose Putin controversial Russia,

The concept of building a Stadium in the middle of the Amazon (Manaus) that does not even have B League team, a stadium built for one time use then left for dry is super retarded and wasteful.

stop being wasteful; and use the modern stadiums from top teams that are already EXISTING

I agree. It should be a natural evolution from what the country already supports and if not, across more than one country in reasonable distance which is great for fans and the countries themselves. I don't care if the country has billions to spend on new stuff, wasting public funding or just wealth of the few, it isn't right.

UEFA Euro 2020 will be held across 13 Cities, 13 different Countries. It's an anniversary special but I think it should be a regular occurrence between big hosting countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020.

For the US, it isn't just pro gridiron that will distract US sports fans. There are college games on Tues. and Wed. just for TV. The NFL has a game on Thurs. There are thousands of high school games on Friday with a college game on TV. Saturday has college games going for up to 14 hours if ESPN televises a Hawaii game. And then Sunday is NFL for 12 hours.

If the US hosted again, the final would be at Jerry World (AT&T Stadium), which is indoors.
we have a stadium called jerry world?

Edit oh Jones I get it nvm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom