• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 World Cup to begin in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsgreen

This is probably going to be the best world cup in a long time. I remember the same type of Anger, and resentment, when the Republic of Korea and Japan won their bid. Especially from European fans who complained that Japan had never even qualified for a cup. Outside from a few biased refs it ended up being a great tournament and I expect the same in 2022.

I didn't pay much attention to that bid but I am pretty sure they have held it when they said they were going to hold it in the bidding process.

Not this corrupt bait and switch...

They say they were going to hold it in the summer, "no worries, AC Cloud Technology", they won (probably by buying it, because it doesn't make sense).

Now they say they can't do it. They can't deliver what they promised. It is that simple. So they should hand it over to someone who can.

I expect, if current rates continue, that world/domestic football will be bigger than the NFL.
Eventually, sure. In seven years? Unlikely.

Remember, the NFL in the early 80's freaked out and conspired to crush the NASL, which were killing NFL in ratings as ABC would have prime matches on weekends. Considering the MLS is, and will be, giving a much better product than the NASL all signs look good.
Citation needed. Best I can find is "The December 1, 1980 issue of Sports Illustrated noted that ratings for the six ABC games in 1980 averaged a “dismal” 2.6."

Spl1nter

This is probably going to be the best world cup in a long time. I remember the same type of Anger, and resentment, when the Republic of Korea and Japan won their bid. Especially from European fans who complained that Japan had never even qualified for a cup. Outside from a few biased refs it ended up being a great tournament and I expect the same in 2022.

South Korea was a horrible and disgraceful WC. Saying it had a few bad instances of reffing is laughable. The corruption is disgusting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPd8YmFcvtQ

2002 was a terrible world cup

azyless

This is probably going to be the best world cup in a long time. I remember the same type of Anger, and resentment, when the Republic of Korea and Japan. Especially from European fans who complained that Japan had never even qualified for a cup. Outside from a few biased refs it ended up being a great tournament and I expect the same in 2022.
2002 was awful and it didn't even involve a complete re-arranging of european football, human rights violations, and the death of thousands of north korean "workers".
Making it seem like we're just bitter europeans is silly. I love to see the WC in South America or Africa, you know, where they actually love football. I would have loved for it to go to Australia or even the USA to broaden football's appeal.
Qatar though ?? Nah fuck that.

The fact a desert country like Qatar where the average temperature is 100+ and 117+ with humidity got the World Cup in the first place boggles my mind.

Fuck Qatar and FIFA

Patryn

what a disgrace. This will not only fuck the season the WC will interrupt but the one afterwards. Most players in the WC play in European leagues and they should seriously consider a boycott.

This just doesn't make sense. if the worldcup is from November to December that means that players will have to leave their club at the latest in October to train. Then when they come back they will need another month to relax and prevent injuries before starting the league again. that's at least a 4 months break in the regular season and champions league. Will they be expected to play in the summer? What's worse is that many tv networks bought the rights to the WC with the guarantee it would play in the summer. They can't be happy about this especially in the U.S. where the WC will have to compete with the other major sports.

Hence why FIFA out of the blue suddenly extended Fox's rights to 2026 as well without considering other bidders. It's obvious to anyone paying attention that it's FIFA's way of placating them.

ESPN was seriously pissed about that move.

Meier

Americans won't give a shit about the world cup if the NFL is alive and kicking in Nov / December.

Don't agree. It's not like it's one or the other, frankly.

I don't think its going to be the leagues that will really protest.

The big clubs, oh yeah, they are going to be mightily pissed off. FIFA are eventually going to piss them off so much they leave and form their own league and that league will be all powerful and command ALL the TV rights money and therefore all the best players.

This might be the catalyst for that often floated league. and those clubs do talk to each other about it because they know how much it would be worth.

Maybe mentioned already (apologies), but the Dutch Football Federation is officially investigating the feasibility of it and how it will affect their professional leagues. They think the host nation should be changed but the study will be completed next month.

Tripon

US gets hot in the summer too, US heatwave could be worst than what we saw in Brazil, they took breaks for 88degrees, US heatwaves can be 90-105degrees depending on location, while US has the facilities to host right now, if we are going through a heat wave it could be bad as Qatar...
Play at night.

Tubie

So euro leagues would have to finish the 2021-2022 season early and start the 2022-2023 season in early August or July?

I have no idea how they can make this work, league game's attendance in July and early August would be abysmal for many clubs.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, the EPL and most European leagues won't accept them getting fucked over like this. maybe we'll finally see a bigger boycott

King_Moc

Banned
2,3 questionable calls at the most. If we are bringing out the magnifying glass we can say the same about many other nations. It was a really fun world cup.

Seriously, what the fuck. How can you even hold that "opinion". It's clear that players and officials are both in on it, as they know nothing will happen from any of those tackles. It looks to me like you're just a fan of corruption.

Fair play to the Italians for not kicking the shit out of the ref though. You'd have had to drag me off of him.

TheXbox

also worth noting that the landscape of sports entertainment will be very different in seven years. Soccer viewership is and has been on the rise in the US. I don't think the NFL will have much of an impact, and in fact might even suffer a bit as a result of the World Cup coinciding with the regular NFL season.

Edit: i forgot that the 2022 World Cup is also in fucking Qatar. Hence, the world cup matches will probably occur hours before any NFL games are on the air. No one is going to be forced to choose between one or the other. In short, it's probably not a big deal.

i mean americans can still care about the world cup

its not an ideal thing by any means to have it at the same time as a football season

you guys are making it really black and white lol

the biggest thing might be that espn doesnt give it near enough attention but probably just because they wont have the rights anymore

Karish

xP8Wwyt.gif

I try to have a good sense of humor but not sure how I feel about this one...

Chris R

its not an ideal thing by any means to have it at the same time as a football season

the biggest thing might be that espn doesnt give it near enough attention but probably just because they wont have the rights anymore

'Murica isn't waking up at 2 in the morning to watch games on a Thursday in Winter.

So no public screening of the games and fan festivities as it is fucking cold and raining outside in november/december. Great job Fifa crushing all the excitement that came with the World Cup with one stupid decision.

Draxal

World Cup or shirtless FSU players. You can only choose one.

November is the worst time to start a cup in the Americas as NBA/NHL is just starting their seasons while the NFL/CFB and high school seasons winding down their seasons.

Toxi

Banned
I don't recall 2002 taking place in the fucking winter.

dabig2

If you want to kill any and all sort of momentum of soccer in america, then putting the WC in November is 1 way to do it. You know those cool outside viewing parties across the country? Yeah, not going to be as cool. Hell, what viewing parties when you have the NFL, NBA, NCAA, and NHL going on throughout the week.

It's just going to be really hard to get excited for football during the winter. The mood just won't be there.

tbm24

If you want to kill any and all sort of momentum of soccer in america, then putting the WC in November is 1 way to do it. You know those cool outside viewing parties across the country? Yeah, not going to be as cool. Hell, what viewing parties when you have the NFL, NBA, NCAA, and NHL going on throughout the week.

It's just going to be really hard to get excited for football during the winter. The mood just won't be there.
I don't think that'll be much of an issue. Sure, you won't be able have an outdoor party in non perpetually warm states, but people will still gather and celebrate and salute crying Eagles just the same. The biggest issue 2022 WC will have with American viewers is the time.

by 2022, in nearly 8 years, people will learn to accept this decisions. if the WC was taking place 2 years from now there would still be anger but in 8 years, realistically, the hate for FIFA and Qatar for this decision will die down. its human nature

an 18 year old will be 26 year old
a 26 year old will be 34 years old
a 34 year old will be 42 years old

by 2022, in nearly 8 years, people will learn to accept this decisions. if the WC was taking place 2 years from now there would still be anger but in 8 years, realistically, the hate for FIFA and Qatar for this decision will die down. its human nature

How many more thousands of workers will have died in those 8 years?

avaya

How are they not going to get sued for billions for this?

The basic tender contract is breached. The TV contracts are breached.

Noshino

That is truly awful. But let's not think this is because of the World Cup.

This is because of a culture of slavery and poor conditions for workers.

Nothing would change if they didn't get the WC. Workers would die doing something else. We just wouldn't know. Which wouldn't make it better. It would make it worse.

By raising awareness and through cultural exchange, Qatar and other countries can slowly get better in how they treat other human beings.

We need not to shun them. We need to integrate them further and deeper. For a better world.

But we knew, we have known about working conditions over there for a while and nothings has been done. So no, not giving them the WC wouldn't make that worse

Giving them the WC would legitimize their actions, what Qatar wants is for them to be seen as a welcoming more open minded culture willing to adapt to western cultures, but they ll only do so (and barely) while the WC is going on. None of their practices will change after the WC is over.

That's why some people are fighting against it (the rest just care about it affecting european leagues lol)

This World Cup is a sham for many reasons but this is not one of them. Domestic leagues are not the center of the world and they can adjust their calendar for that year accordingly.

What? thats bullshit

Domestic leagues are the center of the football world

They still had slaves dying before, the only reason YOU care is because of the world cup.

And yes, the cultural exchange in a conservative islamic place will absolutely change it, it will not be the bacon of tolerance, but it will make fundamental changes, that are already happening.

And no, Australia is not the minimum size for a World Cup; that is a country 60 times (you read that right) bigger than England, 20 times bigger than Germany. If it was for that, the only countries allowed to have world cups would be Russia, USA, China, India and Brazil (I may be missing a few others, but you get the point).

If it was for country size, none of the European countries could ever host a World Cup, and if it is for wealth, yes Qatar does have that.

In the end, the arguments against a Qatari world cup make absolutely no sense at all; the world cup should be played everywhere. Even Chile and Uruguay (countries much bigger than european countries, but really, really poor at the time of making) had world cups.

I would love world cups in Bolivia, China, Iran, Cuba (OMG! he is a communist!), Colombia, Ukraine, Camerun, etc. Every country should have a world cup at some point.

based on what? your own guess?

WCs should happen on countries that are able to support it. We shouldn't have to make huge sacrifices for it.

...And if the world cup will be better in November, then let's play in November, and let the european leagues change their calendars, play in the summer and so (something which southern hemisphere countries ALWAYS do, because of FIFA dates being thought in the north).

Big deal, nothing will happen because of date changes, just a stupid problem with easy solution.

You know whats an even bigger (and more stupid) problem with an even easier and better solution?

Move the WC away from Qatar

Because the past four years have really lessened the anger against them.

how many less people will have died due to reforms instead of taking it away and then they will continue finishing the started projects anyway. If anything the feet will be over fire for Qatar for 8 straight years.

They're gonna continue the projects anyway? So we should just start awarding the world cup to the country that threatens to kill the most people? That would be a pretty pathetic response. How about giving it to a country that won't require killing thousands of slaves to get the infrastructure built, no "reforms" required?

ghst

thanks for the laugh

it's going to be a shit world cup whatever age you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom