• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 World Cup to begin in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

twdnewh_k

Again, we all thought it wasn't practical. They said: "No problems for a summer cup, we are going to air condition our stadiums, it will be epic. Cloud technology! Billions invested!"

Their bid won.

And now they don't follow through on their promises.

Agree with that. Could it be the concern is in regards to the visitors out and about Qatar when not in the stadiums?

Noshino

Agree with that. Could it be the concern is in regards to the visitors out and about Qatar when not in the stadiums?

While that is part of the problem, the main one regarding the heat is that you just can't play football at that temperature for long periods.

There are several heat illnesses that can and will affect people (visitors and players) if exposed to that heat for the duration of a match. They might be able to cool off the stands, but there is no way that they can accommodate the players on the field, hence why they lied and made up that bullshit AC tech.

What's the problem then? As long as it's sundown then a large part of the heat is gone.

Look, for a second lets forget about that they downright lied about everything on their bid, or the hundreds of deads and expected deaths

the amount of compromises that have to be made for the WC to happen in Qatar are just too much:

- Leagues have to move around their dates to work around it
- WC has to be moved to winter because its too hot for both players and tourists
- Dress codes have to be followed to accommodate their culture
- The rights of LGBT people might not be respected

Why is it that everyone have to change to accommodate the WC in Qatar, and not the other way around?

Bold One

what?
E3rfvvB.jpg

Look, for a second lets forget about that they downright lied about everything on their bid, or the hundreds of deads and expected deaths

the amount of compromises that have to be made for the WC to happen in Qatar are just too much:

- Leagues have to move around their dates to work around it
- WC has to be moved to winter because its too hot for both players and tourists
- Dress codes have to be followed to accommodate their culture
- The rights of LGBT people might not be respected

Why is it that everyone have to change to accommodate the WC in Qatar, and not the other way around?

Because they're giving loads of money to FIFA Officials!

Anyway the dress code and LGBT issues are up in the air, I would imagine despite their local laws that they will tolerate Western freedoms for the duration of the World Cup. In fact isn't Qatar like Dubai already in that they allow non-Qataris to wear what they want?

Leagues having to move their dates isn't a huge deal to me, I personally don't feel outrage at it and I actually find it interesting that a World Cup will be played in Winter and the seasons will last into the Summer.

The biggest issue is the worker's rights.

Hey, remember when Sepp Blatter said the Africa Cup of Nations should move to the summer like other international tournaments so as not to disrupt leagues. Yeah.

"One should have now the courage to go into the international calendar and see if it's not possible to deal with it. We put a target for 2016 that by that time the international calendar must be definitely in accordance with the interests of everybody."

Hhahahaha money talks.

If the world cup goes until 23rd December no league will start before february.

They'd probably start in August, play until October and start back in february until June or something.

The premier league already starts in mid-August and finishes in May(Or late april, can't remember). If you extend it a month or so either way then your pre-season basically overlaps with the start/end of the previous/next season. Also i'd assume there'd be some Championship clubs who wouldn't be playing during this time too, if not the whole division, and they'd be looking at playing two games a week for months at a time, losing lots of revenue as the matches are too condensed.

Will there even be any visitors? It's not like there's much to see/do there, and it's hardly a place to go for a boozy world cup party.

Xando

Why would that be necessary?

Because players won't be able to hold through another 5-6 months of regular season, champions league and various domnestic cups without a break. Clubs also want some kind of preparation camps to get players back into club tactics and training.

Will there even be any visitors? It's not like there's much to see/do there, and it's hardly a place to go for a boozy world cup party.

You are jumping to conclusions. They aren't going to stop non-Qataris drinking, I don't think they do anyway as of now.

Also I have no idea about their landmark sites or whatever, but "nothing much to see or do" sounds like an exaggeration. I'm sure they have their equivalents of interesting places to see and visit.

s_mirage

So FIFA say they won't pay compensation. What would happen if the clubs in the affected leagues en masse refuse to release the players? They are the ones who pay their wages afterall.

You are jumping to conclusions. They aren't going to stop non-Qataris drinking, I don't think they do anyway as of now.

Also I have no idea about their landmark sites or whatever, but "nothing much to see or do" sounds like an exaggeration. I'm sure they have their equivalents of interesting places to see and visit.

I'm not, i'm assuming you'll still be able to drink in Doha, but there'll be few bars there(i.e. In the hotels only). Though they may knock up a couple of fan tents.

I don't think it is, there's basically one city in Qatar. Everyone I know who's been there has said there's nothing much to do there, and there's only so many mosques you can be bothered to visit. In all probability people would base themselves in the Uae and fly in and out for games though.

I'm not, i'm assuming you'll still be able to drink in Doha, but there'll be few bars there(i.e. In the hotels only). Though they may knock up a couple of fan tents.

I don't think it is, there's basically one city in Qatar. Everyone I know who's been there has said there's nothing much to do there, and there's only so many mosques you can be bothered to visit. In all probability people would base themselves in the Uae and fly in and out for games though.

Good point about UAE, I didn't consider the possibility fans would base themselves there.

NekoFever

So FIFA say they won't pay compensation. What would happen if the clubs in the affected leagues en masse refuse to release the players? They are the ones who pay their wages afterall.

They can only refuse to release players for international matches/tournaments that take place outside the FIFA-recognised international windows. Otherwise they have no right to unilaterally refuse to release them.

Good point about UAE, I didn't consider the possibility fans would base themselves there.

They'd probably have to considering there's more than likely going to be a shortage of beds. They plan on having 90,000 rooms I think, which when you consider basically all the teams will be based in Doha, doesn't sound a lot. Fans from just a few European countries would take most of that.

just read this article over at sky sports No Qatar 2022 World Cup compensation for European clubs, says FIFA

the arrogance of FIFA is making my blood boil. I would love it if countries boycotted this bullshit show, but of course this would never happen as money makes the world go round and the sponsors would put so much pressure on the countries and players to attend

I doubt whether most sponsors would care at that time of year, they'd be making bank anyway from Xmas shopping, party season etc, and probably wouldn't make that much more from the world cup.

bjaelke

Because players won't be able to hold through another 5-6 months of regular season, champions league and various domnestic cups without a break. Clubs also want some kind of preparation camps to get players back into club tactics and training.

You're assuming everyone stays until the final. Half the teams will be on a plane back early December after the knock out phase. Spain-style.

The domestic leagues will probably start earlier, which will be possible since there is no World Cup during the Summer.

2 weeks break / preparation before and after* the World Cup should be sufficient. Case in point, Raheem Sterling.

I'm in no way a fan of this setup, but it is definitely possible to avoid a 2 month break following the World Cup.

* + time gained from an early knock out.

I doubt whether most sponsors would care at that time of year, they'd be making bank anyway from Xmas shopping, party season etc, and probably wouldn't make that much more from the world cup.

I'm not sure that makes a difference in the eyes of a sponsor who would have already invested a load of money into a country/player by that point

kingkitty

Does superior MLS get any compensation when the World Cup plays during their league?

If not, I don't see why the euros should get any help.

I do hope these leagues get salty enough that it somehow forces Qatar to give it up. But the bribe game at this point is strong.

You're assuming everyone stays until the final. Half the teams will be on a plane back early December after the knock out phase. Spain-style.

The domestic leagues will probably start earlier, which will be possible since there is no World Cup during the Summer.

2 weeks break / preparation before and after* the World Cup should be sufficient. Case in point, Raheem Sterling.

I'm in no way a fan of this setup, but it is definitely possible to avoid a 2 month break following the World Cup.

* + time gained from an early knock out.

You don't know when teams are going to finish in the tournament though, so you can't schedule based on the possibility of a team going out in X stage. Plus the top leagues have players from all nations, so you have to restart after the final to make it fair.

I would think there'd be way more than two weeks break before the world cup, probably more like 4-6, if not more, for training camps and friendlies/warm-up games.

Also, all this rescheduling will have to be started well in advance of the final qualification games. Some leagues might make all the arrangements and then their national team doesn't even make it to the finals rendering the whole exercise pointless.

I'm not sure that makes a difference in the eyes of a sponsor who would have already invested a load of money into a country/player by that point

You don't really see much of the national sponsors at the world cup though do you, and would probably be even less exposure at that time of year as people's attention is elsewhere. Also, if one of their competitors was an official world cup sponsor they might be more than happy to screw them over.

alterno69

Banned
There is no fucking way this tournsment is played under these conditions, too much stuff has to be changed around the world for it to happen, i just don't see it. Think about the networks who have the rights for all the leagues in the world affected by a calendar change this massive, sure the world cup brings in millions but moving the domestic leagues means overlaping with stuff they usually program during the offseason. As cool as it would be to have a world cup around christmas it's a logistics nightmare.

Edit: Leagues would probably have to start shiftiing dates at least a year before the actual world cup to make it work.

Hey, remember when Sepp Blatter said the Africa Cup of Nations should move to the summer like other international tournaments so as not to disrupt leagues. Yeah.

"One should have now the courage to go into the international calendar and see if it's not possible to deal with it. We put a target for 2016 that by that time the international calendar must be definitely in accordance with the interests of everybody."

Blatter gonna Blatter

There is no fucking way this tournsment is played under these conditions, too much stuff has to be changed around the world for it to happen, i just don't see it. Think about the networks who have the rights for all the leagues in the world affected by a calendar change this massive, sure the world cup brings in millions but moving the domestic leagues means overlaping with stuff they usually program during the offseason. As cool as it would be to have a world cup around christmas it's a logistics nightmare.

Why do you think Fox and Telemundo got WC 2026 US TV rights without bidding?

Edit: Leagues would probably have to start shiftiing dates at least a year before the actual world cup to make it work.

Yeah, the season(s) before would need to be pulled foward so the world cup season could have the break. And the more you move games into the Summer the lower the crowds get.

And a world cup final on the last Friday before Xmas sounds shit to me, can't imagine that'd be much of a ratings winner. Or any games played the weekend before on the last shopping weekend before Xmas.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

There's a difference; the Africa Cup isn't giving Blatter as much money as Qatar is.

They can only refuse to release players for international matches/tournaments that take place outside the FIFA-recognised international windows. Otherwise they have no right to unilaterally refuse to release them.

This is true. However, a club can politely request for certain players to be spared, this happens when easy qualifying matches happen right before a difficult league-match.
I can only hope that our national football association will recognize the importance of having fit players on the pitch in the league and cup, which is their bread and butter, and honor such requests.
Either don't enroll in the tournament at all, or send a squad of amateurs to the tournament.

s_mirage

But is that written into the individual employment contracts, or just the agreements with the various FAs/FIFA? If it's the latter, what would happen if they did it anyway? FIFA could expel the FAs or the FAs could expel the teams, but wouldn't FIFA be royally fucked and worthless at that point anyway? The leagues could always form breakaway organizations.

Xando

Why would CONMEBOL boycott it? The world cup already disrupts shit in the vast majority of their leagues.

You think big Uruguay,Brazil and Argentina would want to compete in a world cup if Uefa teams don't compete?

Whoever would win that would always be the WC champions where the best teams didn't compete.

Maybe England should compete so that they could win something :p

jelly

Platini and his cronies are cut from the same cloth as FIFA, they know the gravy train rules and not forgetting Platini's son happens to be involved with Qatar.

It's quite sad that the media, managers, FAs etc. are not mentioning the slavery and deaths, all I've read and watched over the last two days is about interrupting the leagues etc. England think they have a better chance during the season. They should be standing up together, demanding the World Cup is moved and Qatar should be investigated, punished properly for bribery, slavery. Stop it going any further. I imagine media articles, workers/gay rights t-shirts, final death totals, protesting closer to the time of the tournament, fat lot of good that'll do. It's about now, end it.

Courage

Not surprised about this decision at all. Of course they weren't going to act on their own accord to change anything, they need external pressure at this point. Sponsors should drop and players should refuse to participate with all leagues encouraging them on top of it. I bet no player wants to have a grueling 2 years where they'd be prone to injuries.

Fuck Qatar and fuck Blatter.

bjaelke

HOLYWOOD, Northern Ireland (AP) — FIFA president Sepp Blatter says he wants the 2022 World Cup final in Qatar to take place no later than Dec. 18.

Blatter's comments come after a FIFA task force this week recommended moving the tournament to November-December to avoid the summer heat in Qatar. At that time, a Dec. 23 final — a Friday — was proposed. Dec. 18 is a Sunday, the day on which the final is traditionally played, and is Qatar's national day.

The dates of the 2022 tournament will be confirmed by the FIFA executive committee in March.

Rob Harris @RobHarris · 13m 13 minutes ago
Blatter backing of Dec 18 2022 WC final follows schedule I 1st published in 2013 showing how a winter WC could work

Mesousa

Banned
You think big Uruguay,Brazil and Argentina would want to compete in a world cup if Uefa teams don't compete?

Whoever would win that would always be the WC champions where the best teams didn't compete.

Maybe England should compete so that they could win something :p

Uruguay has only ever won shit when UEFA sides were not in a position to compete honestly so they would definitely like a cup in those circumstances lol.

Joni

Blatter backing of Dec 18 2022 WC final follows schedule I 1st published in 2013 showing how a winter WC could work

That would work horribly considering the list of European eligible players has to be entered before the campaign starts. So what about the late transfer period?
Players are limited in the amount of Champions League matches they can play for different teams. The late transfer period would mess that up.
What about the winter transfer period?

Tugatrix

Oh wow

uly: Champions League qualifiers as normal. There might have to be fewer qualifying entrants to cope with the earlier start.

Mid-July: Start of season for leading European leagues.

August 2-3: Champions League playoff round.

August 9-10: Champions League playoff round.

Mid-August: European transfer window closes.

Aug 23-24: Champions League group stage begins.

Considering that Portugal during these month can easily reach 40ºC nicelly thought FIFA, the championship will work wonderfully

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Does the Swiss government just not care at all that this comically corrupt institution operates under its laws with apparent impunity?

Joni

Does the Swiss government just not care at all that this comically corrupt institution operates under its laws with apparent impunity?
The problem is: did anything illegal actually happen? Bribery and corruption are more difficult to convict on if you don't actually bribe a public entity.

jts

...hate me...
Oh wow

uly: Champions League qualifiers as normal. There might have to be fewer qualifying entrants to cope with the earlier start.

Mid-July: Start of season for leading European leagues.

August 2-3: Champions League playoff round.

August 9-10: Champions League playoff round.

Mid-August: European transfer window closes.

Aug 23-24: Champions League group stage begins.

Considering that Portugal during these month can easily reach 40ºC nicelly thought FIFA, the championship will work wonderfully

You think Campomaiorense will make a comeback in style?

AmFreak

Now I really hope everyone just boycotts this nonsense. Goddamn, this arrogance

Yeah who cares about the construction worker's who live like slave's?
Who cares that qatar gives a fuck about human rights?
But no apology to european leagues for the rescheduling they now have to do?
That's too much!

Kinyou

Yeah who cares about the construction worker's who live like slave's?
Who cares that qatar gives a fuck about human rights?
But no apology to european leagues for the rescheduling they now have to do?
That's too much!
Should have worded it differently. But I think the likelihood off a boycott is much higher now since it's something that actually affects the players. It's not great that people don't react until they're personally affected, but that's just how it often is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom