• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 World Cup to begin in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noshino

2,3 questionable calls at the most. If we are bringing out the magnifying glass we can say the same about many other nations. It was a really fun world cup.

I seriously hope you aren't expected to be taken seriously in football threads with an opinion like that.

Not only was it awful, but the goddamn WC wasn't played in November.

by 2022, in nearly 8 years, people will learn to accept this decisions. if the WC was taking place 2 years from now there would still be anger but in 8 years, realistically, the hate for FIFA and Qatar for this decision will die down. its human nature

an 18 year old will be 26 year old
a 26 year old will be 34 years old
a 34 year old will be 42 years old

ha, on the contrary.

The older people get the more they will realize how much crap there is with Qatar hosting the WC.

If anything, in 8 years there will be a lot more people complaining about it, all those toddlers will be able to voice their opinion about it loud and clear

Some leagues outside Europe start their season in january and stop halfway through for the World Cup in june. Can't see why Europeans can't do that for once.

Mesousa

Banned
Some leagues outside Europe start their season in january and stop halfway through for the World Cup in june. Can't see why Europeans can't do that for once.

Exactly.

Hell, Asian and African footballers already dip for a month or so every year(or 2) anyways.

Variety is the spice of life. I maintain that the people who travel to Qatar, as well as watch it on TV, will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.Everybody enjoyed last year, and 2010, despite apprehension about the location and people will enjoy Russia.

itsgreen

Exactly.

Hell, Asian and African footballers already dip for a month or so every year(or 2) anyways.

Variety is the spice of life. I maintain that the people who travel to Qatar, as well as watch it on TV, will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.Everybody enjoyed last year, and 2010, despite apprehension about the location and people will enjoy Russia.

They won by promising AC cooled stadiums and a summer cup.

A pretty fundamental thing.

They aren't going to do that.

Strip them from it.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Why is this causing more uproar in the media than the fact that over a thousand workers (or rather slaves) will die building the stadiums?

I actually wouldn't mind if all the pro players looked at their national team salaries, looked at their pro contracts, and chortled and just decided not to participate in the World Cup that year. Let's see a World Cup with only half of every national team there. FIFA wouldn't be able to do shit, there's no rules that force national team players to play for their national teams during any tournament.

Why is this causing more uproar in the media than the fact that over a thousand workers (or rather slaves) will die building the stadiums?

I'm adamant that a certain share of the uproar over Qatar 2022 is because people don't like that a Muslim country is joining the fun. Brazil's World Cup had a shit ton of controversies attached to it, but cognitive dissonance and Brazilophilia allows the perception of that World Cup to be less scathing than Qatar.

As a side not I really hope Turkey gets to host a World Cup or Euros within my lifetime...Still sore about 2016.

I'm adamant that a certain share of the uproar over Qatar 2022 is because people don't like that a Muslim country is joining the fun. Brazil's World Cup had a shit ton of controversies attached to it, but cognitive dissonance and Brazilophilia allows the perception of that World Cup to be less scathing than Qatar.

The decision they made seems pretty dumb with the lies about AC stadiums and the like but I don't understand the sheer vehement hatred of it by some people, and I can't help but feel the fact its the middle east does indeed tie into it. Don't personally see the problem with going to new places to host major events. Yes, the working practices are absolutely horrific, but the sheer anger about the decision seems to go totally overboard for me, especially when other events have had similar concerns. I get the impression no matter what is proposed regarding this WC could ever be deemed acceptable.

Also, there can be no doubt of the horrible workers rights record in Qatar, but I honestly have my doubts about that graph being thrown around. Surely there can't have been that much construction work even carried out yet? It's 7 years away. The deaths are almost definitely real but how many tie into actual world cup projects vs ancilliary projects like transport systems not for the WC per se? all of it is horrible but you have to be clear if you're saying these things about the World Cup in particular.

Xando

I'm adamant that a certain share of the uproar over Qatar 2022 is because people don't like that a Muslim country is joining the fun.
That must be it. Has nothing to do with basically destroying the league system for 2-3 years, the death of slave workers, the fact that qatars concept was for a summer WC, the non existant football culture and the obvious corruption in the vote for qatar. Islamophobic europeans just don't want to allow a muslim country to join the fun.

itsgreen

As a side not I really hope Turkey gets to host a World Cup or Euros within my lifetime...Still sore about 2016.

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

Although to be fair, there is bound to be some fringe element that thinks that.

But to me people are upset because it wrecks their summer parties they are used to, now they have crappy 0-8 degree weather, and it wrecks their national championships...

Let me reiterate that I said " a certain share of the uproar".

Similar to the Hebdo outrage, a certain share of which was piggybacking off of it to throw hate at Muslims for free.

itsgreen

Let me reiterate that I said " a certain share of the uproar".

A certain share of Dutch/Americans/Qatari/Japanese/etc is a pedophile. Although technically right, it is fucking bullshit if it isn't significant and you can't call that shit out withoput some proof.

A certain share of Dutch/Americans/Qatari/Japanese/etc is a pedophile. Although technically right, it is fucking bullshit if it isn't significant and you can't call that shit out withoput some proof.

My proof is that people are more angry with Qatar than Russia and Brazil.

Has nothing to do with the fact they said they were going to host it in the summer and aren't doing that. Or bribery charges. Or the deaths of dozens upon dozens...

Brazil and Russia also have shit human rights records and are known for corruption as well. The Russia one is sooner and people are hardly saying anything about it.

All I want is consistency from the general reaction. There was more blindness towards Brazil's shortcomings for nostalgic reasons.

If we want to be all moral about everything then let's be honest and say that only the first world countries like Western/Northern Europe, North America, Japan/South Korea and Australia should host stuff.

itsgreen

Brazil and Russia also have shit human rights records and are known for corruption as well. The Russia one is sooner and people are hardly saying anything about it.

They aren't hosting it in the winter.

You can say what you want, but those countries organized/going to organize it when they said/say they were going to when the their bid won.

Also there was a huge shitstorm about Brazilian workers and such prior to the 2014 cup. And Russia probably won't go off without some attention.../

They aren't hosting it in the winter.

But in Russia it's always Winter :p.

Personally I don't get the hubhub about the Winter timing. It's nothing a little schedule changing can't fix and I like the novelty of having a World Cup in Winter and football seasons stretching into the Summer.

The one point I agree with is the cooling technology. That sounded and looked cool (lol). Shame it was hot garbage.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Imagine if another country said they had to push back the WC six months because they were behind schedule? How would that fly?

Mesousa

Banned

All I want is consistency from the general reaction. There was more blindness towards Brazil's shortcomings for nostalgic reasons.

If we want to be all moral about everything then let's be honest and say that only the first world countries like Western/Northern Europe, North America, Japan/South Korea and Australia should host stuff.

And Europeans complained when the Bold got it.

itsgreen

fertygo

The "Slave worker" thing is hella overblown I think, we gonna pretend south african and brazilian worker treated better or something?

itsgreen

And Europeans complained when the Bold got it.

Didn't even care for that WC because we weren't in that one.

Also, again:

kf2Fm9t.png

Worst bids won.

Noshino

While i do agree that islamophobia is probably part of the issue for some, I disagree with the rest of the statement.

Brazil had a lot of complaints, but they weren't anywhere near the same size.

Brazil didn't lie during their proposal, Qatar did.
Brazil didn't have a problem with gays, Qatar does.
Brazil didn't have a problem with dress codes, Qatar does
Brazil didn't have to move the WC from summer to winter due to heat problems, Qatar does.

And that's without bringing up the whole issue with labor deaths

3Sixty

Nonsense.

I'd probably think that if my country failed to qualify at the expense of Ireland.

Nice to see Europe can't look outside of their own navel.
(Ronaldinho doesn't even play in Brazil anymore, and I say this as an anti-Qatar 2022 guy.)

I know, he must have been looked at the league and thought 'I can do better' hear he was really close to signing for Baskingstoke Town.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

by Fifa's own assessment Qatar was the worst bid. It has nothing to do with it being a Muslim country. Don't even start with that shit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I know, he must have been looked at the league and thought 'I can do better' hear he was really close to signing for Baskingstoke Town.
He's actually in Mexico doing absolutely nothing. The team he plays for now was doing much better before he arrived. lol

While i do agree that islamophobia is probably part of the issue for some, I disagree with the rest of the statement.

Brazil had a lot of complaints, but they weren't anywhere near the same size.

Brazil didn't lie during their proposal, Qatar did.
Brazil didn't have a problem with gays, Qatar does.
Brazil didn't have a problem with dress codes, Qatar does
Brazil didn't have to move the WC from summer to winter due to heat problems, Qatar does.

And that's without bringing up the whole issue with labor deaths

Brazil is a futebol nation with 5 WC championships under their belt.

What does Qatar have? oh oilzzzzzzzzz pffffff

This is how we do a World Cup: https://www.google.nl/search?q=muse...=X&ei=Og_tVJuYKIXzUpeugIAP&ved=0CCAQsAQ&dpr=1

That doesn't work in winter.

Also little schedule fixing, have you looked a the schedule of PL clubs? Pretty tough to fit a 2.5 month break in October/November/December in there...

People congregate in the cold...New Year's celebrations...

Brazil is a futebol nation with 5 WC championships under their belt.

What does Qatar have? oh oilzzzzzzzzz pffffff

Being a football nation and having a colourful history of trophies shouldn't excuse corruption and slums.

by Fifa's own assessment Qatar was the worst bid. It has nothing to do with it being a Muslim country. Don't even start with that shit.

And again I repeat that I said a "portion of the reaction".

Didn't even care for that WC because we weren't in that one.

Also, again:

kf2Fm9t.png

Worst bids won.

Agreed.

I think Australia should host it. They're part of the Asian confederation after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom