• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 World Cup to begin in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noshino

The "Slave worker" thing is hella overblown I think, we gonna pretend south african and brazilian worker treated better or something?

go look up the numbers

come back and tell us if your statement is correct

A great world cup that was much better than the shit that followed in 06 and 10?

just because you say it over and over again doesn't mean that it will become true

But in Russia it's always Winter :p.

Personally I don't get the hubhub about the Winter timing. It's nothing a little schedule changing can't fix and I like the novelty of having a World Cup in Winter and football seasons stretching into the Summer.

The one point I agree with is the cooling technology. That sounded and looked cool (lol). Shame it was hot garbage.

it isn't just a "little schedule changing" though

if it was, the fa's wouldn't be complaining about it

Actually there are rules to force someone to play for their country as long as they are registered with a club.

Damn, so much for that idea. :(

because Russia can have Gazprom turn off the valve to central Europe

don't piss off Mr. Putin

Russia's oil export-dependent economy is already in the toilet because of the low prices for oil lately. Putin doesn't have any leverage over Europe right now with that valve and God knows that's a good thing.

fertygo

YY0bIAr.png

Yeah you are right. Hella overblown.

Yikes, apologize then.. can't argue with that then.

I'm so ashamed with my ignorance.

You really have no idea about european fan fests if you think 1.2 million people will celebrate in berlin every 2-3 days if it's snowing outside.

To be fair there's no precedent to say whether it will or not.

If it's too bitingly cold then they'll arrange outdoor heating (lol irony!) or just enjoy indoor fanfests?

Moving away from the Qatar debate, I really don't get this obsession with "Summer is the only time we can nationally congregate". Pretty sure major protests, political rallies, festivals and celebrations are not limited to the Summertime...I'm not even arguing within the context of the Qatar thing...I'm just thinking about it generally.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

If it's too bitingly cold then they'll arrange outdoor heating (lol irony!) or just enjoy indoor fanfests?

Moving away from the Qatar debate, I really don't get this obsession with "Summer is the only time we can nationally congregate". Pretty sure major protests, festivals and celebrations are not limited to the Summertime...

can't wait for the world cup to have all the festival spirit of an anti war rally or a rave in a dank warehouse somewhere near manor house.

Mimosa97

I'll stand with my national football team if they decide to boycott the '22 WC.

Even if that means we get banned from playing in the next WC.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I hope it still ends up being played in Qatar, that would make November wildly entertaining.

Must be a pretty big location if you want to fit 1 million people into it. Good luck finding such a place in a big european city.

Just do them in the same places they are done in the Summer, except with outdoor heating. I honesty don't get it, it's not like we all live in the Tundra in Europe.

People keep mentioning the top divisions, which'd have to take a break, but surely a world cup in Nov/Dec would absolutely destroy attendances in the divisions below that (and they can't take a break as there are too many fixtures), and they rely far more on spectator revenue than the top divisions. How many people are going to turn up and watch games in the Championship if England are playing Germany at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon? Plus there are a hell of a lot of international players in lower league teams (especially in England).

Also, don't some leagues already have a winter break in Jan/Feb due to the weather? They would have to go 2/3/4 months without any fixtures.

Actually there are rules to force someone to play for their country as long as they are registered with a club.

Have those rules been challenged in a European court yet? I can't see how they would hold up to be honest.

pgtl_10

I'm fine with this. Considering it is seven years, leagues have time to prepare. I rather not have people playing in absurdly intense heat.

pgtl_10

I doubt it.

Over the US and Australia? I think so. Nobody even cared about Qatar until they won the bid.

That is not to say I would give Qatar the bid but I feel Western media loves to trash non-Western countries when they host sporting events.

I remember ESPN's radio host Colin Cowherd saying sporting events should only be hosted in Western Countries plus Japan. The Orientalism of the West tends to show at Sporting events. Especially if the country is not traditionally dominated by whites.

XavandSo

Neo Member
an 18 year old will be 26 year old
I was just lurking this thread, not going to comment on anything and sorry for being off-topic, but today is my 18th birthday and man, this dampened my mood. Thanks man.

EDIT: Gah... shit. Didn't realise the time difference between the above post. I could've necro'd this thread with my pointless comment. Sorry guys.

Joni

Moving away from the Qatar debate, I really don't get this obsession with "Summer is the only time we can nationally congregate". Pretty sure major protests, political rallies, festivals and celebrations are not limited to the Summertime...I'm not even arguing within the context of the Qatar thing...I'm just thinking about it generally.
Festivals are concentrated around the summer, certainly outdoor festivals.

My proof is that people are more angry with Qatar than Russia and Brazil.
You seem to have missed the huge amount of negative news reports the Brazil World Cup and the Sochi Olympics got.

Mohonky

YY0bIAr.png

Yeah you are right. Hella overblown.

Its like the Burj Khalifa of death tolls.

Seriously though considering most of these construction projects are designed and supervised by Western people they should be taking a stand against it. My old man built 2 LNG tanks over there without killing anyone I dont see why it should be any different with these stadiums and buildings. What are they doing?

RE lover

this will force Spain's La Liga to start in early July... I don't think players will enjoy playing in the middle of the summer... in Spain

twdnewh_k

In my opinion there are reasons for Qatar to host, and many more reasons for them not to.

But this is not one of them.

If the world cup is to be hosted there then there is absolutely no way to avoid a winter event.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
They'll kick off later to compensate.
Lol. You know La Liga games already start at 7-9pm right?

Fifa says it will not pay compensation to clubs and leagues unhappy about plans to play the 2022 Qatar World Cup in November and December.
It also said no apology was necessary for the scheduling of the tournament, which will disrupt a number of leagues.
:/

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm going to bump this thread when it's October 2022 and they've still not finished building the stadiums in Qatar yet.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I hope that every country in Europe except Scotland boycotts the World Cup in Qatar.

We'd probably still fail to qualify.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
People keep mentioning the top divisions, which'd have to take a break, but surely a world cup in Nov/Dec would absolutely destroy attendances in the divisions below that (and they can't take a break as there are too many fixtures), and they rely far more on spectator revenue than the top divisions. How many people are going to turn up and watch games in the Championship if England are playing Germany at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon? Plus there are a hell of a lot of international players in lower league teams (especially in England).

Also, don't some leagues already have a winter break in Jan/Feb due to the weather? They would have to go 2/3/4 months without any fixtures.

Have those rules been challenged in a European court yet? I can't see how they would hold up to be honest.

Most leagues used to have a 6 week winterbreak, but that got cut back to 2/3 weeks, due to the amount of games to be played.

If we'd cut the winterbreak earlier to october to accomodate the WC, clubs will appeal to their domestic football associations for a break that extends into march, due to the high amount of African players and their obligations to the Africa Cup.

So even IF the season starts earlier, let's say august, you'd have to start practice in june/july after the leagues end in may/june, and you'd get domestic league football, continental cups, domestic cup crammed into a 3 month window, what normally would be played in 5 months.

Then you'd get the World Cup, which will be dreadful to watch, because the players have been strained for high performance since january/february and only had about 2 weeks in june to catch their breaths.
After the World Cup, the Africa Cup commences, which will be even worse, since the top-countries will have a squad that JUST played a World Cup tournament.

And then we go back to finishing the leagues and domestic and international cups the clubs were playing. Can you imagine the number of injuries we'll have by the end of season 22/23 due to over-exercising?

This whole operation is a nightmare that can be easily resolved; host it in summer. If Qatar can't host it in summer, host it somewhere else.

itsgreen

In my opinion there are reasons for Qatar to host, and many more reasons for them not to.

But this is not one of them.

If the world cup is to be hosted there then there is absolutely no way to avoid a winter event.

Again, we all thought it wasn't practical. They said: "No problems for a summer cup, we are going to air condition our stadiums, it will be epic. Cloud technology! Billions invested!"

Their bid won.

And now they don't follow through on their promises.

Kinyou

Fifa says it will not pay compensation to clubs and leagues unhappy about plans to play the 2022 Qatar World Cup in November and December.
It also said no apology was necessary for the scheduling of the tournament, which will disrupt a number of leagues.
:/
Now I really hope everyone just boycotts this nonsense. Goddamn, this arrogance

So...say England get through to the final 16/8 (lol). EPL teams will have what...4/5 matches in December.

So FIFA expect these players to travel back and forth from Qatar between matches?

Xando

So...say England get through to the final 16/8 (lol). EPL teams will have what...4/5 matches in December.

So FIFA expect these players to travel back and forth from Qatar between matches?

If the world cup goes until 23rd December no league will start before february.

They'd probably start in August, play until October and start back in february until June or something.

Frog-fu

Banned
Utterly reprehensible. The international community needs to boycot this and bring serious actions against FIFA. Their wanton corruption has gone on unchecked for far too long.

Pooya

Europe disrupting national leagues and Champions League worth billions to attend this train wreck of a WC? It's going to be interesting where this goes either way, terrible for football fans whatever happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom