• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2023's Forgotten Games

Mossybrew

There's plenty of discussion about the year's best, and even worst games. But what about those games in the middle, some of which were so mediocre that they've already been forgotten? A good example would be Atlas Fallen.
tBXSIzt.jpg

This game only just came out in early August - but it feels like it has already been completely forgotten. I certainly didn't play it, maybe someday when it turns up on sale for like 15 bucks.

Any other examples?

Wo Long came and went.
I am playing through it, but even at its best it never reaches the highs of Nioh 2 or Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin. The overreliance on parrying and boring elemental magic system for it dissappoints. I am still having fun with the flying ki blast martial art on DLC gauntlets. The elementaly enchanted stick spam is also bonkers.
tumblr_ltx9tqqtPy1qd47jqo1_500.gif

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Bayonetta Origins? Anyone?
Bayonetta Origins is the top of the list. Literally the least talked about game of the year. And it's in my top 5. It's phenomenal. I don't think it's a coincidence Kamiya left PG after this. The game is great and got no recognition. And Bayonetta 3 before that was by far the best in the series, and blows away anything FFXVI is even beginning to attempt with summons, while being on the Switch.

People will look back eventually and regret their words and deeds, but it will be far too late.

Hugare

atomic-heart.gif

giphy.gif

Best shooter of the year, but it came out so early it has become somewhat forgotten.
Yes yes "bad voice acting" blah blah I enjoyed it a ton with russian VO. Looking forward to all DLCs being out so I can replay it.
Denzel Washington Movie GIF

Game was spectacular, one of my favorites of this year.

Easily the best new IP released this year

A game this ambitious, from a new dev, that got so many things right

Gunplay is great, powers are fun, art design is godlike, game runs like a dream, great pacing ...

The open world was barren tho, and the alarm system is flawed, but that's it. They have a diamond in the rough here.

I'm honestly considering resub GP only to play this game

Last edited:

Fbh

5590273d23e1c2131371d75f5261a2473285d5a0.gif

For a game with an 89 metascore it feels completely forgotten.
Seems like Hogwarts came out a week an a half later and basically erased it from existence, then RE4 Remake came out and took over the spot of "that 2023 remake of a beloved survival horror game " in the mind of most people

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Denzel Washington Movie GIF

Game was spectacular, one of my favorites of this year.

Easily the best new IP released this year

A game this ambitious, from a new dev, that got so many things right

Gunplay is great, powers are fun, art design is godlike, game runs like a dream, great pacing ...

The open world was barren tho, and the alarm system is flawed, but that's it. They have a diamond in the rough here.

I'm honestly considering resub GP only to play this game

Why not just buy it? It cant possibly still be full price. Quit pinching pennies and support smaller devs bruh.

I loved it too (and am close to the end). One thing I actually did like was how the open area in between story levels wasnt chock full of bullshit padding and checklists. All you had to be on the lookout for were the testing areas which were all super fun, and the occasional little house to scavenge. Besides that it was very very straightforward which was greatly appreciated.

And I too also loved the voice acting.

Hugare

Why not just buy it? It cant possibly still be full price. Quit pinching pennies and support smaller devs bruh.

I loved it too (and am close to the end). One thing I actually did like was how the open area in between story levels wasnt chock full of bullshit padding and checklists. All you had to be on the lookout for were the testing areas which were all super fun, and the occasional little house to scavenge. Besides that it was very very straightforward which was greatly appreciated.

And I too also loved the voice acting.
This season destroyed my wallet. So many new releases.

Games that I've already played I usually pick them with a deep discount (I'm all digital)

I'll also wait until all the DLCs are out to pick the complete edition and do a full run

And yeah, I loved the "no bullshit" approach. No filler at all. And the testing areas are indeed super fun and smart.

SCB3

Seems like Hogwarts came out a week an a half later and basically erased it from existence, then RE4 Remake came out and took over the spot of "that 2023 remake of a beloved survival horror game " in the mind of most people
That always happens to Jan/Feb releases, it'll happen this year with FF7Rebirth and Like a Dragon 8

skit_data

I haven't forgotten. It's definitely one of my favourite releases this year. Dead Space as a concept is so damn good and the lore has so many possibilities. If they do as good a job with the sequel as they did with this who knows how far they can go.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Wo Long came and went.
I enjoyed Wo Long more than Lies of P. It was a fantastic game. Had it not been for technical issues upon release and a convoluted, tedious storyline(boring Chinese dynasty stuff), it could've been in a much different position. Nevertheless, it's one of the best games I've played this year.

Top Bottom