• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2023's Forgotten Games

RobRSG

5590273d23e1c2131371d75f5261a2473285d5a0.gif

For a game with an 89 metascore it feels completely forgotten.
Seems like Hogwarts came out a week an a half later and basically erased it from existence, then RE4 Remake came out and took over the spot of "that 2023 remake of a beloved survival horror game " in the mind of most people
Wish I played a better port of this game at first.

Had a terrible experience with the PC version and its traversal stutter.

Finally will have the chance to play the XSX version with GamePass.

With Hogwarts, the problem with the game is just strictly political.

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned
i think this will be the year with most games forgotten. i have never seen such a packed year ever. so many games bought and never played simply because they released almost weekly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Must be an anomaly but I really didn't like Atomic Heart. Amazing art for sure but the melee combat, constant spawning enemies, hours in corridors.
It kinda just felt like they threw everything from the "ideas meetings" into the game.
And the constant banter is unbearable. LIke... it is constant.

Damigos

Starfield (already Skyrim has more concurrent players)
Forspoken came and went like it never existed. No one speaks for this ( ha ha ha ..🥹)
Blasphemous 2, dont know why, but no one talks about it
Wo long, same

Last edited:

WoJ

atomic-heart.gif

giphy.gif

Best shooter of the year, but it came out so early it has become somewhat forgotten.
Yes yes "bad voice acting" blah blah I enjoyed it a ton with russian VO. Looking forward to all DLCs being out so I can replay it.
What game is this? Looks cool.

El Muerto

What about this gem, anyone remember CRIME BOSS: ROCKAY CITY
vY5TrWU.jpg

This is one game I don't think I'd install even if it was free.
I legit really liked this game. It's essentially a single player Payday game, with a crime management sim, mixed with roguelike, and has a bunch of old people calling each other a c*&ck sucker. Game isnt for the easily offended.

RAIDEN1

I haven't forgotten. It's definitely one of my favourite releases this year. Dead Space as a concept is so damn good and the lore has so many possibilities. If they do as good a job with the sequel as they did with this who knows how far they can go.
It is needlessly treading old ground in now bringing out a sequel to this when part 4 should be coming onto the horizon, it has been a long enough gap since part 3 anyway...

Lies of P

Lots of games that went under the radar, it was a tough year. Not that it would be obscured, but I'm glad Silksong won't hit until 2024. Should be an easier year to stand out from the crowd to get what it's due. Hollow Knight had it happen in 2017 and that doesn't deserve a repeat.

atomic-heart.gif

giphy.gif

Best shooter of the year, but it came out so early it has become somewhat forgotten.
Yes yes "bad voice acting" blah blah I enjoyed it a ton with russian VO. Looking forward to all DLCs being out so I can replay it.

This is a $20 game for me. I'm waiting for it to get there.

...and for them to add the ray-tracing they hyped up.

flipme

Neo Member
Can't believe I'm on second page an no mention of this. notice it's missing from early Goty nominee lists also. Obv not Goty but no love for soundtrack? Art?

images

GymWolf

atomic-heart.gif

giphy.gif

I liked the game a lot but it is not the best shooter of the year, cmon.

Only to already established online franchises such as cod or fifa. If a singleplayer game would get low scores, gaf and most sheep consumers would refuse to even look at it, and sometimes even have a meltdown.
Robocop is a prime example of the complete opposite. I get what you mean and its a damn shame that smaller devs with GREAT games never get the attention and praise they deserve.

The only AAA game I bought this year is Hogwarts. Rest were from mid-tier studios and I enjoyed them WAY more than AC 594, CoD189 etc etc.

AAA currently refers to their name, how well known a studio is. Not the content they shit out.

AC Mirage an AAA game? FUCK NO! The first AC was, now its just a rinse and repeat cycle. Same goes with CoD, Fifa... They are rehashes with the same old mechanics. A fresh shell doesnt justify AAA by any means.
Robocop, now THATS an AAA game to me. Dares to be different. Looks WAY better then anything currently available using UE5. THAT was an AAA experience to me.

Robocop is a prime example of the complete opposite.

Yes and no. I havent played it yet, but, I would add it to the established franchise list, for boomers and millennials anyway. It's a huge classic for us and even if it turned out average most of us would prolly still buy it just to check it out. You dont get these kind of games very often. I'd love a game based on Escape from New York, or similar stuff.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Can't believe I'm on second page an no mention of this. notice it's missing from early Goty nominee lists also. Obv not Goty but no love for soundtrack? Art?

images
I liked it. Art is great. It can be pretty slow paced but some of the puzzles are decent. Worth a playthrough

Denton

I liked the game a lot but it is not the best shooter of the year, cmon.
It is for me, although I am not claiming I played every shooter made this year. Feel free to list your favourites.
I do put huge emphasis on atmosphere and visual design though, and I doubt there is anything better at those than AH.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It is for me, although I am not claiming I played every shooter made this year. Feel free to list your favourites.
I do put huge emphasis on atmosphere and visual design though, and I doubt there is anything better at those than AH.
Sure i can see where you come from.

I was just merely talking about gunplay.

atomic-heart.gif

giphy.gif

Looks sick! Which game is this?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I am playing through it, but even at its best it never reaches the highs of Nioh 2 or Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin. The overreliance on parrying and boring elemental magic system for it dissappoints. I am still having fun with the flying ki blast martial art on DLC gauntlets. The elementaly enchanted stick spam is also bonkers.
tumblr_ltx9tqqtPy1qd47jqo1_500.gif

Its improved quite a bit with the recent patches, but Wo Long does suffer quite badly in that on higher difficulties you really get funnelled towards very specific builds to make headway if you aren't extremely skilled. It reminds me very much of the first Nioh in that respect.

The brilliance of Nioh2 was that as the difficulty climbed no single trick or buff was ever strong enough to compensate, and so you had to layer in complimentary stuff to reach peak DPS. Making creating end-game builds actually interesting.

With Wo Long you're pretty much forced into fighting the horribly skewed RNG to get a single gear set (Zhurong), with a specific weapon set with a specific martial art (Turning Clouds) and simply burning down everything as fast as possible.

Hopefully they'll broaden options out a bit with the last DLC -and I do appreciate that each DLC is so much tougher than the previous one- and stop using loot drop-rate as a crutch. The fundamentals of the game are great, and the Abyss replacement 1000 mile journey is really fun, but it all feels noticably "thinner" than Nioh, and nothing compared to Nioh 2.

Top Bottom