• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2024 Academy Awards Nominees

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Best picture​

• "American Fiction"
  • "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • "Barbie"
  • "The Holdovers"
  • "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • "Maestro"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Past Lives"
  • "Poor Things"
  • "The Zone of Interest"

Best actor​

• Bradley Cooper, "Maestro"
  • Colman Domingo, "Rustin"
  • Paul Giamatti, "The Holdovers"
  • Cillian Murphy, "Oppenheimer"
  • Jeffrey Wright, "American Fiction"

Best actress​

• Annette Bening, "Nyad"
  • Lily Gladstone, "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • Sandra Hüller, "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • Carey Mulligan, "Maestro"
  • Emma Stone, "Poor Things"

Best supporting actor​

• Sterling K. Brown, "American Fiction"
  • Robert De Niro, "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • Robert Downey Jr., "Oppenheimer"
  • Ryan Gosling, "Barbie"
  • Mark Ruffalo, "Poor Things"

Best supporting actress​

• Emily Blunt, "Oppenheimer"
  • Danielle Brooks, "The Color Purple"
  • America Ferrera, "Barbie"
  • Jodie Foster, "Nyad"
  • Da'Vine Joy Randolph, "The Holdovers"

Best director​

• Jonathan Glazer, "The Zone of Interest"
  • Yorgos Lanthimos, "Poor Things"
  • Christopher Nolan, "Oppenheimer"
  • Martin Scorsese, "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • Justine Triet, "Anatomy of a Fall"

International feature film​

• "Io Capitano," Italy
  • "Perfect Days," Japan
  • "Society of the Snow," Spain
  • "The Teachers' Lounge," Germany
  • "The Zone of Interest," United Kingdom

Animated feature film​

• "The Boy and the Heron"
  • "Elemental"
  • "Nimona"
  • "Robot Dreams"
  • "Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse"

Adapted screenplay​

• "American Fiction"
  • "Barbie"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things"
  • "The Zone of Interest"

Original screenplay​

• "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • "The Holdovers"
  • "Maestro"
  • "May December"
  • "Past Lives"

Visual effects​

• "The Creator"
  • "Godzilla Minus One"
  • "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3"
  • "Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One"
  • "Napoleon"

Original score​

• "American Fiction"
  • "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things"

Original song​

• "It Never Went Away" from "American Symphony"
  • "I'm Just Ken" from "Barbie"
  • "What Was I Made For?" from "Barbie"
  • "The Fire Inside" from "Flamin' Hot"
  • "Wahzhazhe (A Song For My People)" from "Killers of the Flower Moon"

Documentary feature film​

• "20 Days in Mariupol"
  • "Bobi Wine: The People's President"
  • "The Eternal Memory"
  • "Four Daughters"
  • "To Kill a Tiger"

Cinematography​

• "El Conde"
  • "Maestro"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things"

Costume design​

• "Barbie"
  • "Napoleon"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things"

Animated short film​

• "Letter to a Pig"
  • "Ninety-Five Senses"
  • "Our Uniform"
  • "Pachyderme"
  • "War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John & Yoko"

Live action short film​

• "The After"
  • "Invincible"
  • "Knight of Fortune"
  • "Red, White and Blue"
  • "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar"

Documentary short film​

• "The ABCs of Book Banning"
  • "The Barber of Little Rock"
  • "Island in Between"
  • "The Last Repair Shop"
  • "Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó"

Film editing​

• "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • "The Holdovers"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things"

Sound​

• "The Creator"
  • "Maestro"
  • "Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "The Zone of Interest"

Production design​

• "Barbie"
  • "Napoleon"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things"

Makeup and hairstyling​

• "Golda"
  • "Maestro"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things"
  • "Society of the Snow"

Oppenheimer with 13 noms. I think Florence Pugh would’ve been a better pick for supporting actress than Emily Blunt, but she was good too.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ryan Gosling being nominated while Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie are not.

94158199e9aebf0f743b98de9e225f878dbf5ab5.gif

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Best picture​

• "American Fiction"
  • "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • "Barbie"
  • "The Holdovers"
  • "Maestro"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Past Lives"
  • "Poor Things"
  • "The Zone of Interest"

That seems like a lot of movies.

Barbie not great unintentionally funny.
Maestro - Not good or interesting.
Killers of the flower moon - interesting story, but pretentious.
Oppenheimer - Interesting but needed more science.

Movies I did not see so I cannot comment.
  • The Zone of Interest"
  • Poor Things
  • American Fiction"
  • "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • Past Lives

I think I would pick the Holdovers to win. Or maybe Oppenheimer.

Those are my picks.

DKehoe

Every year I say I'm going to try and watch all the Best Picture nominees before the show and then don't manage it. This year I've seen five, seeing a sixth (The Holdovers) tonight and had already been planning on seeing a seventh (Past Lives) soon. So I'll just have American Fiction, Anatomy of a Fall and The Zone of Interest to watch.

Killers of the Flower Moon not getting an Adapted Screenplay nomination is kinda crazy.

As a producer Robbie is listed for the Best Picture nominee and Gerwig is nominated for the screenplay.

Toots

Gold Member
Please don't give best picture to Anatomy of a fall.
As much as the movie is good, Justine Triet is already unsufferable enough :/

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Sounds like a feminazi :messenger_winking:
Think About It GIF by Identity

You can add "rich kid wanting to relate to and speak for poor people" to the equation !
Look at that smug face for god sake :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Justine_Triet_2017.jpg

But now im thinking about it, it would be great to see her get ridiculed on the biggest stage with a pseudo political discourse no one would care about...
Let's call it a win-win situation

Think About It GIF by Identity

You can add "rich kid wanting to relate to and speak for poor people" to the equation !
Look at that smug face for god sake :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Justine_Triet_2017.jpg

But now im thinking about it, it would be great to see her get ridiculed on the biggest stage with a pseudo political discourse no one would care about...
Let's call it a win-win situation

She does look unsufferable like 99 Percent of Modern Women are nowadays lol

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Lmao at Ryan Gosling in Barbie getting a nom for acting and not Leo DiCaprio in Flower Moon.

A travesty.

This list seems worse than many others

Good to see Society of the Snow get an international nomination.

Should have more.

Cinematography, film editing, set design, at least

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Manifesting a sweep for the one of the best movies of all time, I think it’s gonna win 8-9 Oscars. If Nolan didn’t riff about VFX being a safe choice to go with compared to practical effects, Oppie would’ve tied with 3 other movies with 14 nominations to become the most Oscar nominated movie of all time.

The only movies on the best pic list that I haven’t seen yet is Zone of Interest & Poor Things.

Last edited:

Fake

The Brazil media reporting this info is so fucking hilarious.

Hope Oppenheimer, Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr. and The Boy and the Heron won.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

Globo, the most popular and well know news channels in Brazil, is incredibly triggered by this.

They say that Barbie female cast were "snubbed from Oscar". Claims that "internet people are furious and indignated by this choice, because she is critically aclamied" and that now "only a woman is against a bunch of men in certain categories".

Gp1

After a couple of years of mediocre Academy awards, at least this years was pretty solid and Oppenheimer will probably sweep the entire show.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Hollywood really is creatively bankrupt if Barbie is nominated for 8 Oscars.

There was a time where so many great movies released each year that Terminator 2 was “only” nominated for six or the Matrix for only four.

I thought DiCaprio was awesome in Killers, his classic monologues, ability to play a charismatic anti hero, etc. Hard to understand why he wasn't at least nominated, but to be fair I have yet to see the other best actor choice besides Oppy. I just think if another actor played that role in killers as well as DiCaprio did, they'd get nominated.

This article summarizes my thoughts on this pretty well:

Him in winning it for The Revenant is still a disgrace in my mind - it's not the type of acting style, while he was still good, that made him a star and what he's known for today.

Quasicat

The Super Mario Bros. movie did not get a single nomination…not even under Animated Film.

Yet another year that I will not care about anything related to the Academy Awards.

WoodyStare

Rooting for The Holdovers, Oppenheimer, Barbie and Poor Things. Lots of solid nominees here, but I think Oppenheimer is going to sweep.

Rat Rage

Hopefully Godzilla wins Best Visual Effects. What they were able to do with such a tiny budget really deserves an Oscar.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm crossing fingers for Boy and the Heron. Elemental being there is such a ridiculous nomination, blergh.

Toons

Is quite strange since Elemental is totally trash in comparison.
Elemental is a much, much better film that Mario and I enjoyed both. Its not even in the same ballpark lol

Greta definitely should've been nominated as much as Ryan deserved his nom. She wrote and originated the role that he's nominated for, and directed his performance. Honestly wierd Ferrera got in but she didn't, but ultimately the Oscar's aren't that relevant anyway and the films success speaks for itself

Toons

Hope they win
They deserve acknowdlegemenr considering how they evidently were worked to the bone and honestly should have a bigger team than they do but I thought the visual fx in the movie were perfectly serviceable and extremely impressive for their crew size but not the best of the year at all.

Fake

Elemental is a much, much better film that Mario and I enjoyed both. Its not even in the same ballpark lol

There is no point making a movie that appeal to you more to than the kids. Most of the kids here in Brazil hated Elemental, while Mario got much more attention to them.

Elemental shouldn't not even be nominated, is a mix bag animation. Mario is not great either, but at least respect not only the source material, but was mainly to get kids attention without inflating the movie with world problems.

They deserve acknowdlegemenr considering how they evidently were worked to the bone and honestly should have a bigger team than they do but I thought the visual fx in the movie were perfectly serviceable and extremely impressive for their crew size but not the best of the year at all.

I'm waiting for the movie to come to Streaming

I just want something not Hollywood to win 😉

Toons

I'm waiting for the movie to come to Streaming

I just want something not Hollywood to win 😉

Well that's silly. The award should go to who did the best, regardless of the source.

There is no point making a movie that appeal to you more to than the kids. Most of the kids here in Brazil hated Elemental, while Mario got much more attention to them.
Everyone I've spoken to about elemental enjoyed it, kids or not. Mario is fun, but mindless, paper thin. Elementsl has a great message, but better animation, and better performances as well.

Elemental shouldn't not even be nominated, is a mix bag animation. Mario is not great either, but at least respect not only the source material, but was mainly to get kids attention without inflating the movie with world problems.
We should advocate for more intelligent kids media than dumbed down shallow distractions. That was true 2 decades ago, and its true today. Pixar has always had films that appeared to many generations and had poignant life messages. Up, wall-E and Toy Story all are exampls of this.

If Mario isn't great, then it shouldn't win. Even boy and the Heron is leagues better and also a movie kids should watch.

Last edited:

Fake

We should advocate for more intelligent kids media than dumbed down shallow distractions. That was true 2 decades ago, and its true today. Pixar has always had films that appeared to many generations and had poignant life messages. Up, wall-E and Toy Story all are exampls of this.

If Mario isn't great, then it shouldn't win. Even boy and the Heron is leagues better and also a movie kids should watch.

We shouldn't advocate shit. Kids are intelligents, only dumb adults think otherwise.

Never underestimate a kid.

Toons

We shouldn't advocate shit. Kids are intelligents, only dumb adults think otherwise.

Never underestimate a kid.

What even is this response? I never said kids weren't intelligent.

I said we should advocate for smarter media to be directed towards them BECAUSE they are intelligent(and yes, we should advocate for many things we want to see). Mario is not an example of a movie that treats its audience as intelligent, its mindless fun for kids to not think about too much.

You're saying kids are intelligent whilst saying a movie should be rewarded for being appealing to the lowest common denominator of children's media, its contradictory. Elemental is a good movie, and it has a brain, and kids can watch it and use theirs to think. Pixar is known for this and why they have to reputation they do.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Well that's silly. The award should go to who did the best, regardless of the source.

The thematics and premise of the film is completelly garbage though. Even a kid could come up with such idea.
Not even my parents nephews watched that, they fell sleep after 15 minutes of film.
Regardless it got nominated, we shall see if it's comparable to the rest they are facing in the category.

Top Bottom