• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2024 Academy Awards Nominees

Toons

The thematics and premise of the film is completelly garbage though. Even a kid could come up with such idea.
Not even my parents nephews watched that, they fell sleep after 15 minutes of film.
Regardless it got nominated, we shall see if it's comparable to the rest they are facing in the category.

I actually really enjoyed the movie. Its simple and to the point but it has a strong narrative message and theme throughout. I just think the visuals themselves are just... fine. Its excellent for such a small crew, but the crew being that small probably did it no favors.

bender

What time is it?

Best picture​

• "American Fiction"

Best actor​

• Jeffrey Wright, "American Fiction"

Best actress​

• Emma Stone, "Poor Things"

Best supporting actor​

• Sterling K. Brown, "American Fiction"

Best director​

• Yorgos Lanthimos, "Poor Things"

Animated feature film​

• "Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse"

Adapted screenplay​

• "American Fiction"

Visual effects​

• "Godzilla Minus One"

Cinematography​

• "Poor Things"

Costume design​

• "Poor Things"

Film editing​

• "Poor Things"

Production design​

• "Poor Things"

Makeup and hairstyling​

• "Poor Things"

My picks. Wish 12:12 The Day would have gotten a nod for International Film. Poor Things and American Fiction were my two favorite movies. Godzilla was a lot of fun too.

I really liked him on Westworld. This makes me want to check out American Fiction.

It's fucking great.

Last edited:
Hopefully Godzilla wins Best Visual Effects. What they were able to do with such a tiny budget really deserves an Oscar.
the category is "best VFX", not "best use of budget". They deserve a nomination, but not the win. Yes, they over-achieved given the smaller budget and vast number of shots, but the quality is not the best. There are quite a number of sequences were the comping was abit weak because they clearly didn't spend much time on them.

mcjmetroid

It's a more faithful videogame adaption than any in history but not really a very good movie let's be honest. It's fine

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Robbie and Greta were robbed, but other than that It seems to track.

I see an Oppenheimer sweep to be honest. The movie was fucking art.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This really makes me realise how much my movie watching has fallen off a cliff. I've only seen Killers Of The Flower Moon from the best picture list and some of the films I haven't even heard of!

I used to love going to the cinema, loved films in general but audiences are so clueless about how to behave in public spaces now, I've pretty much stopped going and I don't enjoy watching films at home as much.

YCoCg

People asking for Super Mario to be nominated, come on, it's good but it's just nostalgia bait wrapped in a giant commercial for Mario games.

SirTerry-T

Lmao at Ryan Gosling in Barbie getting a nom for acting and not Leo DiCaprio in Flower Moon.

A travesty.

This list seems worse than many others

Good to see Society of the Snow get an international nomination.

Should have more.

Cinematography, film editing, set design, at least
It had excellent sound design too.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I cannot believe how upset some people seem to be over the Barbie (non-)nominations.

People getting upset that misogyny is happening when Margot Robbie doesn't get nominated in the

BEST ACTRESS

category is a level of fucking stupid I can't even begin to comprehend.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Greta definitely should've been nominated as much as Ryan deserved his nom. She wrote and originated the role that he's nominated for, and directed his performance.
She also wrote and directed the rest of the movie which was crap.
Gosling performance wasn't crap at any point so it is normal he was nominated and she was not.
Margot Robbie could have been nominated for best actress though...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

“The message of all of that is not lost on me, but one question I have — and maybe Whoopi is the only one that can answer this — when does it become a snub?” Sara Haines asked Goldberg on “The View” (via Entertainment Weekly). “I know the film, I know the greatness and the money, but that assumes someone else shouldn’t be in there.”

Goldberg answered by saying “everybody doesn’t win” and “you don’t get everything you want to get.”

“There are no snubs,” she added. “That’s what you have to keep in mind: Not everybody gets a prize, and it is subjective. Movies are subjective. The movies you love may not be loved by the people who are voting.”

Fake

Is so bizzare calling for machism and patriarchy while acting like no women got a nominee.

Robbie don't get the best actress nominee, but what about all the other women?

I mean, if Robbie and Greta got nominee the Oscar would stop being patriarchy and misonogy?

Are people never stop being opportunists?

Last edited:

Fbh

"OMG can you imagine being in a billion dollar movie based on a popular IP and not being nominated for best actor/actress/director for it?"

Everyone who was in a Marvel, Avatar, Fast and Furious, Harry Potter, Jurassic World, etc movie
Sarcastic Season 3 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

DKehoe

"OMG can you imagine being in a billion dollar movie based on a popular IP and not being nominated for best actor/actress/director for it?"

Everyone who was in a Marvel, Avatar, Fast and Furious, Harry Potter, Jurassic World, etc movie
Sarcastic Season 3 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
There's been a trend recently of people insisting those kinds of films should get nominated. It's happened with some of the Marvel stuff in recent years too.
l2JhCYVlbiCCxCrJe.gif

Trunx81

Ken will win. Ryan will take the statue. Will call Margot on stage. Will hand over his Oscar to her. Says "You have earned it, Barbie." She will smile and wave. Tabloids the next days will praise this stunning and brave move.

Fake

Ken will win. Ryan will take the statue. Will call Margot on stage. Will hand over his Oscar to her. Says "You have earned it, Barbie." She will smile and wave. Tabloids the next days will praise this stunning and brave move.

Thats a good turn over, but again even for him is difficult to win against Robert Downey Jr and Robert De Niro.

This is trully an amazing scenario. Imagine he acting like a beta male in the stage, saying he is not deserving the oscar, is Greta and all the other women that deserve the oscar instead of him. Dude, this would be like 100x times a better plot than the movie inself.

MrA

Banned
I'm crossing fingers for Boy and the Heron. Elemental being there is such a ridiculous nomination, blergh.
if boy and the heron loses to elemental it will a testament to how much the best animated feature is "movie they've heard of"
Leo's performance in Flower Moon doesn't really stand out as oscar-worthy.

Gosling on the other hand completely saves Barbie from being unwatchable. I'd be happy to see him win best supporting actor (and best song!).

cTO1v6d.gif
Man I never realized how much Ryan Gosling looks like ric flair

Toons

She also wrote and directed the rest of the movie which was crap.

The academy clearly doesn't agree with you there.

Gosling performance wasn't crap at any point so it is normal he was nominated and she was not.
Margot Robbie could have been nominated for best actress though...

So the movie had at least one Oscar worthy performance, as well as according to the academy, at least 2 oscar worthy original songs and Oscar worthy screenplay, but the movie is also crap?

Any way you slice it her not being included doesn't even make sense, even internally removing all other factors. Even if you personally didn't like the movie it is strange the academy would consider everything Oscar worthy except the person who actually made the thing.

Thats the thing thats most baffling about it. Its not like they ignored the movie. I see more from a confusing angle rather than it being some orchestrated thing, although I'm also not going to immediately discount arguments suggesting that bias was present here. I would have to have seen all the other movies to make a statement on that however.

Ultimately it is what it is, even if it wins absolutely nothing, people only really care about oscars for 2 weeks before it drops so they can validate/argue their opinions on movies and then np one talks about them for the rest of the year. Barbie being the most successful film of the year is a far greater achievement, especially given how bad the year was box office wise.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wait, why is Barbie in the "adapted screenplay" category? Adapted from what? The screenplay in and of itself is a very original and thoughtful piece created upon the framework of the names and likenesses of a line of toys.

SJRB

Gold Member

So the movie had at least one Oscar worthy performance, as well as according to the academy, at least 2 oscar worthy original songs and Oscar worthy screenplay, but the movie is also crap?

Any way you slice it her not being included doesn't even make sense, even internally removing all other factors. Even if you personally didn't like the movie it is strange the academy would consider everything Oscar worthy except the person who actually made the thing.

Thats the thing thats most baffling about it. Its not like they ignored the movie. I see more from a confusing angle rather than it being some orchestrated thing, although I'm also not going to immediately discount arguments suggesting that bias was present here. I would have to have seen all the other movies to make a statement on that however.

Ultimately it is what it is, even if it wins absolutely nothing, people only really care about oscars for 2 weeks before it drops so they can validate/argue their opinions on movies and then np one talks about them for the rest of the year. Barbie being the most successful film of the year is a far greater achievement, especially given how bad the year was box office wise.

All this stuff is superfluous anyway, as it always is with these awards. No one in real life actually, really cares about these Oscars. It has zero impact on anyone's actual life. This whole discussion is a made up problem for online discourse that barely exists outside the online realm. No one is having fiery debates at the supermarket or office cafeteria on how it's an outrage that Margot Robbie was snubbed.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Wait, why is Barbie in the "adapted screenplay" category? Adapted from what? The screenplay in and of itself is a very original and thoughtful piece created upon the framework of the names and likenesses of a line of toys.
They bent the rules to give it another nomination. Really should have gone to Flower Moon.

Toots

Gold Member

I'm too lazy to elaborate like you but i don't think there many "oscar worthy performance" in itself, and performances are oscar worthy in the context of the cinematic production of the year.

I realize that for someone who enjoyed the movie hearing someone say it's crap is unpleasant. And it was too harsh anyway since i did also enjoy the movie when i saw it with my mother. There is for sure crappy passage and the story is at the same time convoluted and bare bone (that is kind of a feat in itself), the humour is more cringy than fun most of the time, but still i shouldn't have said it is a crap movie. But surely anyone will agree Gosling was the best part of it, so it doesn't boggle me that he is the one who gets the "real" nomination. Because lets face it the others are consolation prizes.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I've been a bit disillusioned with the nominating process when we see these undeserving movies like Maestro just buy their way in, and actual outsider film get iced out because they can't afford an Oscar campaign.

I do find the nomination of Godzilla Minus One to be pretty heartwarming. Usually these minor/technical categories aren't very interesting, but a Japanese film being nominated for VFX is genuinely unprecedented especially for a lower budget movie. Enough so that it would be a real story if they manage to win.

Toons

Just like the academy don't agree with media whining about Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie not getting a nominee LOL.
Therein lies the inconsistency which was my point.

[Removed a bit i erroneously thought was addressed to me]

I'm too lazy to elaborate like you but i don't think there many "oscar worthy performance" in itself, and performances are oscar worthy in the context of the cinematic production of the year.

I realize that for someone who enjoyed the movie hearing someone say it's crap is unpleasant. And it was too harsh anyway since i did also enjoy the movie when i saw it with my mother. There is for sure crappy passage and the story is at the same time convoluted and bare bone (that is kind of a feat in itself), the humour is more cringy than fun most of the time, but still i shouldn't have said it is a crap movie. But surely anyone will agree Gosling was the best part of it, so it doesn't boggle me that he is the one who gets the "real" nomination. Because lets face it the others are consolation prizes.

Best picture is a consolation prize? Hardly.

Your perspective on the film is your own, tjats not really what I'm even arguing here. I'm arguing the internal inconsistency in the academy giving nominations that accolade the film yet excluding the individual who put all of those individual bits together to make the cohesive whole, which is again being nominated for best picture(which im being honest i would be shocked i it won that. I dont think it was the best picture of the year by any means). I dont know how often that happens.

Last edited:

Toons

They seem to always play fast and loose with that category. I remember that being a wierd thing last year too, it makes zero sense to ever give that award to an original script regardless of if its based on an ip or not. Unless a script is directly pulling from existing work(in the vein of infinity war taking heavy cues from the original I finity gauntlet comics) then it makes no sense.

DKehoe

Watched Past Lives last night and thought it was great. Anyone else seen it? It reminded me a lot of In The Mood For Love and Before Sunrise/Before Sunset.

Of the Best Picture nominees I now just have Zone of Interest, American Fiction and Anatomy of a Fall to go.

Fake

ZRYZG98.jpg

Oppenheimer had a good run but it’s all over, failed the Bechdel Test
XbmQP7R.png
kOw4iez.png

A movie about me, my boys and a nuke. Lets see you surpass that.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
XbmQP7R.png
kOw4iez.png

A movie about me, my boys and a nuke. Lets see you surpass that.
we all know nukes only kill men.

Toots

Gold Member
Best picture is a consolation prize? Hardly.

which is again being nominated for best picture(which im being honest i would be shocked i it won that. I dont think it was the best picture of the year by any means

You answered your own question.
Sometimes participation is the consolation prize, which makes Barbie, in this case, the equivalent of the down syndrome kid throwing the first pitch at a MLB game.

mcjmetroid

The sense of entitltement about the Barbie situation is through the roof. For the best actress who gets taken off so Margot can go on the nominated list? I don't think she should have been nominated.

I do think however a best director nomination should have been rewarded.
I like the movie but I think with a different director and direction it could have been 10 times worse!!

The direction of the movie is very good, the writing is messy.

near

Gold Member
I've only seen two of the best picture nominees this year, no clue how this will go. Of the two I've seen Oppenheimer and Past Lives, I don't think either should win it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SJRB

Gold Member
ZRYZG98.jpg

Oppenheimer had a good run but it’s all over, failed the Bechdel Test

Imagine taking the Bechdel Test seriously when even the creator said it was a joke.

(insufferable article, by the way. You're better off not reading)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Of the Best Picture nominees I now just have Zone of Interest, American Fiction and Anatomy of a Fall to go.

I watched American Fiction the other day because of the nomination and because of Jeffrey Wright.

Great fuckin' movie. Interesting multi-dimensional characters with virtues and flaws. Dramatic tension that arises sensibly from character driven motivations. Humor and jokes that are reasonably doled out in appropriate scenes. Lots of humor derived from irony and satire, which I like.

DKehoe

I watched American Fiction the other day because of the nomination and because of Jeffrey Wright.

Great fuckin' movie. Interesting multi-dimensional characters with virtues and flaws. Dramatic tension that arises sensibly from character driven motivations. Humor and jokes that are reasonably doled out in appropriate scenes. Lots of humor derived from irony and satire, which I like.
Wright has done a lot of great stuff recently. His role in Asteroid City was relatively small but I thought he did a great job with the screentime he had, especially the speech his character gives.

American Fiction is out here this weekend so I might try and see it then. I may even pair it up with The Zone of Interest for a double bill of tonal whiplash!

Toons

You answered your own question.
Sometimes participation is the consolation prize, which makes Barbie, in this case, the equivalent of the down syndrome kid throwing the first pitch at a MLB game.

Except... its not just getting a participation prize. It got 8 noms including one that doesnt even make sense to be included.

Theres been oscar buzz for the film since release. It was well recieved by critics and audiences. Everyone's got their opinions but let's not pretend this is some shocking inclusion here.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I also just saw "The Boy and the Heron". Interesting film but possibly a bit too much on the esoteric and meta side. I wish they had spent more time on explaining the sekai of the isekai, but it is a Miyazaki film after all, and this is just a personal bias of mine. Emotional and visually interesting, but I liked Spirited Away a lot more.

At the end of the movie, my immediate thought was, "Gee, out of the two movies I saw this year that were set in WWII Japan, the one that really resonated with me more on an emotional level was the movie featuring a giant radioactive lizard that destroyed Ginza."

Toots

Gold Member
Except... its not just getting a participation prize. It got 8 noms including one that doesnt even make sense to be included.

Theres been oscar buzz for the film since release.
It was well recieved by critics and audiences. Everyone's got their opinions but let's not pretend this is some shocking inclusion here.
"including one that doesnt even make sense to be included."
Unles you think of it as a consolation prize...
Did it not occur to you that oscar buzz you hear could be flies around a huge dump ?
It is wild to say this in a thread discussing oscar nominations i know, but i don't care much about movie journalists opinion. I watch RLM vids when the movie interest me, and i read Neogaf movie threads and that's about it.
The way i see it, everything about oscar (or Hollywood for that matter) is fabricated. Marketing teams worked hard so you hear that oscar buzz. But i doesn't mean much about the quality of the movie. I do not say it's a bad movie, i say it is a blockbuster tempted with "auteurism" (having greta gerwig direct it for exemple) so of course they'll work double time marketing wise to get the most nominations possible.
Oppenheimer on the other hand, is a blockbuster made by a real auteur, and, by this simple fact, nothing like Barbie. And no one cried about it being nominated or not.
The idea of every lame person still wanting a trophy goes back from handing consolation prizes in the 90s. This trend evolved to the point that loosers aren't satisfied with consolation prizes and they want a real prize, while still being loosers. The barbie people are like that to me. They forgot that they only get something because everybody agrees to be kind to them for whatever reason, and think they really made some kind of profound art piece
Oprah Winfrey GIF

Last edited:

Toons

"including one that doesnt even make sense to be included."
Unles you think of it as a consolation prize...
Did it not occur to you that oscar buzz you hear could be flies around a huge dump ?
It is wild to say this in a thread discussing oscar nominations i know, but i don't care much about movie journalists opinion. I watch RLM vids when the movie interest me, and i read Neogaf movie threads and that's about it.

Ive disagreed with RLM and neogaf plenty of times on movies. I form my own opinions about them, and I talk about those opinions to people I know in the real world. Thats all that is needed for me.

The way i see it, everything about oscar (or Hollywood for that matter) is fabricated. Marketing teams worked hard so you hear that oscar buzz. But i doesn't mean much about the quality of the movie. I do not say it's a bad movie, i say it is a blockbuster tempted with "auteurism" (having greta gerwig direct it for exemple) so of course they'll work double time marketing wise to get the most nominations possible.
Oppenheimer on the other hand, is a blockbuster made by a real auteur, and, by this simple fact, nothing like Barbie. And no one cried about it being nominated or not.

Oppenheimer also had tons of oscar buzz practically before the film even released lol. I dont see what your point is here. If you'd ask me its the most likely one to win BP, although I haven't seen it yet it seems like everyone its pointing that direction.

The idea of every lame person still wanting a trophy goes back from handing consolation prizes in the 90s. This trend evolved to the point that loosers aren't satisfied with consolation prizes and they want a real prize, while still being loosers
I think this is a biased approach.

You're entitled to opinions on the film, but any other day i see neogaf and RLM fans sharing in criticism of the Oscar's, both justified and otherwise, but now because some are questioning their choices with Barbie nominations; the academy doesn't all of a sudden become beyond reproach. Not by my view. Just because you didn't like this movie doesn't mean that criticisms of the academy regarding it cannot be valid.

That beign said, no I dont consider the academy to be consolation prizes. Its the highets form of award given to film, a reputation it holds the world over so, getting any nomination at all means you did something right. But these are still decided by individuals, and any committee of indidvusals can and should be held to the same scrutiny they are any other time.

Toots

Gold Member
Ive disagreed with RLM and neogaf plenty of times on movies. I form my own opinions about them, and I talk about those opinions to people I know in the real world. Thats all that is needed for me.

Oppenheimer also had tons of oscar buzz practically before the film even released lol. I dont see what your point is here. If you'd ask me its the most likely one to win BP, although I haven't seen it yet it seems like everyone its pointing that direction.

I think this is a biased approach.

You're entitled to opinions on the film, but any other day i see neogaf and RLM fans sharing in criticism of the Oscar's, both justified and otherwise, but now because some are questioning their choices with Barbie nominations; the academy doesn't all of a sudden become beyond reproach. Not by my view. Just because you didn't like this movie doesn't mean that criticisms of the academy regarding it cannot be valid.

That beign said, no I dont consider the academy to be consolation prizes. Its the highets form of award given to film, a reputation it holds the world over so, getting any nomination at all means you did something right. But these are still decided by individuals, and any committee of indidvusals can and should be held to the same scrutiny they are any other time.
I might have not well explained my point which is "for some movies oscar nomination is a testament to their quality, for others its just consolation prizes".
The idea is you give nomination knowing the movie will never win, so producers can put them on the posters and attracts customers this way. But you also give nomination for what you think is the greatest movie of the year.
I was harsh with Barbie and i don't think it total shite actually.
I enjoyed Barbie, watching it with my mum. Ithink it's because she had fun that i enjoyed it. Oppenheimer is enjoyable by itself which is the big difference for me.

Anyway you are absolutely right when you say
the academy doesn't all of a sudden become beyond reproach
i'd add or totally corrupt.
Everything is grey.

Is the bar being lowered or is this just desperate attempts to attract the Tik Tok generation to care? Watched Op and Barbie same day and never once thought Barbie was getting Oscar noms for acting/directing. Wife rented Barbie to rewatch and I gave it another chance, thinking I might have been too hard on it that day. Nope, still the “cotton candy” of movies. Ryan Goseling was funny but not award winning funny.

Top Bottom