• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2024 | East v West - who is currently on the throne as producing the most compelling games?

In recent times, which studio's are making the better games?

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
We have games like Forbidden West, Starfield and Assassin's Creed.

Then we have games like Tears of the Kingdom, Elden Ring and Dragon's Dogma 2.

There is a bit of ambiguity with international studio's but it's generally easy to see where the creative influence is rooted.

So, in the year of our Lord 2024, who has been putting out the best games recently? Maybe you just don't like certain elements of Eastern games, maybe you feel Western games are focused too much on presentation and not gameplay. Either way, let's vote.

T-0800

Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Variahunter

Simple. I rarely get excited by western games nowadays, whereas all my prefered games and my most awaited games are from the East.
Gameplay and game design ideas are by far superior in Eastern games.

Western games stopped being really interesting, different and good after TES IV Oblivion, with some exceptions in the PS360 era. Now it’s just mediocrity and political agenda.

jm89

East is carrying the game industry this quarter.

Overall this gen I still give it to the west.

Last edited:

Sakura

East by far.
The only western games I really play these days are indie games.
There are some good western games every now and then though, like Baldurs Gate 3, but most western titles (to me) are just boring.
There are Japanese gacha games I like more than anything the west has put out in like the last 10 years.

Fredrik

East for me. Because of Elden Ring and Tears of the Kingdom, basically FROM and Nintendo in general, they focus on gameplay over story and that’s my thing.
And in general eastern devs don’t constantly push gender and sexual preferences politics. Western devs should just take a step back and let games be games, it’s not real, there is no need to make your game a political platform to push your real life agenda because of your real life struggles or whatever.

Things havn't been this lopsided in favor of Japan since the 90's. It's not even close. Interestingly, a lot of great indies are Westerm and that makes sense. The industry has completely sold out to the mainstream and AAA gaming, which spends more on advertising than the games themselves, has clearly stifled creativity. I still enjoy some of this big money games such as Spiderman 2 and Last of Us 2, but there's so many more good and fun games coming from Japan.

Klosshufvud

East is a broad term. I'd say Japan alone has been more or less carrying this medium on its shoulders for the longest now. There was a period when we got consistent release of exciting and innovative western games too but that era has faded amidst a highly destructive gold rush mentality of over-exploitation and trend chasing.

Just this year and last, Japanese publishers are crazy consistent with their output and generally provide games of a decent quality level. Western games take forever and feels like half of them end up like Suicide Squad.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Western games are too steeped in political ideology. It’s too hard to ignore sometimes.

They intentionally make characters ugly when beautiful characters do exist in real life.

yKaumhv.jpg
What the fuck? The vast majority of people don't look like characters in some games or A list actors/models. Most people look, well, average. Just because you can find an example of a beautiful 10/10 Woman, it does not mean some artist who wants to make someone that looks closer to average is doing a disservice. It doesn't mean the choice is political because you don't like it either.

People tend to just be themselves most of the time, not mindless political activists.

East by far atm. Capcom at the top of their game right now, just smashing it. Nintendo doesn’t quit delivering. FROM at the top of their game.
West is…fine. But not innovating and focusing on things I don’t really like.
There are notable exceptions- bg 3, some AA and indies.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Pretty sure the vast majority of major titles are Western.
Goes for Sony as well, even though it's a Japanese company.
Playstation is even carrying the console-market.

*Nintendo is the exception

Last edited:

killatopak

What the fuck? The vast majority of people don't look like characters in some games or A list actors/models. Most people look, well, average. Just because you can find an example of a beautiful 10/10 Woman, it does not mean some artist who wants to make someone that looks closer to average is doing a disservice. It doesn't mean the choice is political because you don't like it either.

People tend to just be themselves most of the time, not mindless political activists.
If this was in the past, I'd believe you.

Right now when there is overwhelming evidence of arbitrary guidelines being followed just to please some political leaning company, I doubt it.

Whatever the fuck they look as wouldn't matter to me if it actually has an impact on the game's story and setting. 99.9% of the time, it doesn't. Since it doesn't, guess what I'm human and I follow my instinct, I love looking at beautiful, sexy, handsome men and women.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

As much as like plenty eastern games, i feel the AA/indie western scene brings more genre variety to the table, as well as more interesting design usually.

Well, by "western" i mean anything made west of China minus Australia.

Last edited:

Kurotri

East easily and it's not even a contest. This year is so much better than last year for me. Unicorn Overlord, Granblue Fantasy, Yakuza Infinite Wealth, Persona 3 Reload, Metaphor Refantazio, SMT V Vengeance, FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Dragons Dogma 2, Shadow of the Erdtree.

None of these are from the West. And this is just 2024. It's total domination.

Roberts

I don't know, if I look at my end of the year favourite lists, majority consists of western games, but there is always one or two Japanese (or Korean like Lies of P) bangers usually at the top of the list.

Top Bottom