• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Ultrawide Gaming

partime

What are your top 2 games for 21:9 support?

Ori and the will of wisps
img.php

Wreckfest
ingame_21x9_0.jpg

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Uh? I don’t recall an issue with 21:9 in Cyberpunk except for some effects that have to be disabled because they amplify the effect too much outside the 16:9 box.

Anyway

Angry Gary Oldman GIF

There’s never a time I’m not blown away by 21:9, but I guess

Dirt 2
Was the first game I tried on the ratio actually, my mind was blown as I saw the environment zoom past the car, the feeling of speed seems to increase, it’s much more immersive.

Last edited:

partime

No...
That warping is just what happens with a higher FOV (and 21:9 necessitates a higher hFOV than 16:9...well that or a lower vFOV...but you don't want that)...

So warping effect happens in 16:9 also? Higher FOV doesn't give you anything more, it just stretches instead of the standard black bars and looks hideous.

MarlboroRed

Red Dead II
3rd person games are just straight up better in 21:9 in my opinion. Shame that most have to be modded one way or another for proper ultrawide support. Red Dead II is one of the worst offenders, cutscenes are getting cut both on the sides as well as one the top and bottom. Yikes.
Gameplay and world traversal are unmatched though.

So warping effect happens in 16:9 also? Higher FOV doesn't give you anything more, it just stretches instead of the standard black bars and looks hideous.
Yup. It's inherent the projection used, it's just more noticeable at higher FOVs. When you increase the ratio of the width to height you also need to change the ratio of the FOV accordingly. You have two options, you can either increase hFOV, which makes that distortion at the edges of the screen more apparent (look at triple monitor setups to see incredibly W I D E bois in the periphery monitors!), or you can decrease vFOV, which means that instead of gaining extra information at the sides compared to 16:9 you're actually losing information at the top and bottom. You can combat the distortion using different projection methods but they look equally weird, just in different ways...and can cause motion sickness in somecases as the image bends and warps.

MarlboroRed

Treated myself to a 21:9 late last year. Got a really good Amazon Warehouse deal in the sales. It's the Alienware AW3418DW

Very happy with it. :)
Been eyeing that one myself when I got mine 2 years ago. I was torn between the AW3418DW and the PG348Q. I was so happy when the PG348Q went on a 33% sale on some random eBay reseller, and I'm still happy with it all things considered. I will probably stick with it for another couple years.

Last edited:
Treated myself to a 21:9 late last year. Got a really good Amazon Warehouse deal in the sales. It's the Alienware AW3418DW

Very happy with it. :)

Got this exact same monitor on an ebay sale on black friday for like $650 a few years back. Amazing monitor.

Honestly every game is better at 21:9. Can't think of an instance when I don't prefer it. My buddy came over to watch my house and used my PC with that monitor, he was like, "So THIS is what you've been hyping all this time?" Yup. "Fuck, I want one bad now." He had never seen a 21:9 monitor or seen the reason for G-sync. He has now learned the folley of his ways.

Last edited:
Bad design choice IMO, it sticks out like a sore thumb when people are just off your FOV.
It's not really something that can be helped. Games pretty much all use rectilinear projection, which has actual straight lines, at the cost of high FOVs looking hideous. Here's an example of a couple of other projection options, notice how only the rectilinear projection has straight lines. The others might look fine in a screenshot...but once stuff is in motion shit gets weird and unpleasant as everything bends and warps very noticeably as you move the camera.
wOGTleq.jpg

zcaa0g

Banned
There's a lot I liked about 21:9 but two things had me ditch it. I play as many old games as new games and I like every genre of games so had to do a lot of ini, cfg, xml, etc. edits for fixes and way too much of the vertical was cut off for my liking in DCS and IL2. I need 21:9 and 16:9 to get it on and have a baby but until then, sticking with a 55" 16:9. 21:9 is bad ass for racing sims though. Don't need the vertical there.

Allforce

Mortal Kombat 11 is great in 21:9. Wish more fighting games would utilize it if only for fucking around offline.

Warzone is great too.

Pretty much every single game that can run in 21:9 is better. Just wish I could get a giant TV in that aspect (and have console games give the option)

partime

It's not really something that can be helped. Games pretty much all use rectilinear projection, which has actual straight lines, at the cost of high FOVs looking hideous. Here's an example of a couple of other projection options, notice how only the rectilinear projection has straight lines. The others might look fine in a screenshot...but once stuff is in motion shit gets weird and unpleasant as everything bends and warps very noticeably as you move the camera.
wOGTleq.jpg

I never noticed, but I guess for platformers it's not an issue.

ovsR0Iu.jpg

L8ybkWm.jpg

Esppiral

Everything is better in 21:9 silly me I thought it would be standard or at least an option in this new gen such as it was 16:9 on the PS2 GC DC era but no, I still have to patch my games

Last edited:
Battlefield 1 is beautiful in ultrawide. Really makes the most of those vista's.

May as well ask here: Used a 5700XT previously that would pretty much always have 3840x1620 listed in games for supported resolutions, worked great for 1:1 pixel mapped 21:9 output with black borders on my TV (sit relatively close to a 50" so the borders were never an issue) Since switching out to a 2080ti that resolution has disappeared from games and trying to set it in custom res hasn't worked for me as of yet, any Nvidia users got any ideas? Whilst 4K/60 is simple now, I do miss the easy ultrawide I had before for some games with AMD

Bubba77

I have the alienware as well. Ori is amazing, but games like Civilization really benefit from the added real estate. Would be hard to go back. Now just want games to also go wide for the damn cut scenes.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Final Fantasy 14 looks awesome in ultrawide. Way more immersive, and helps the screen from feeling too crowded.

longdi

Banned

Lol Acer doing their version of samsung 32:9 stupid wide screen.

seems like Samsung made a breakthrough with 2000 mini-leds at HDR2000... :messenger_open_mouth:

sadly no g-sync module, which means hdr tone mapping in windows 10 sucks outside playing hdr sources!

I dunno. Started it twice and couldn't put more than 3 hours into each time before quitting from boredom. Ultrawide didn't make that game any better to play that I could tell.... Looks good though.
If you don't enjoy the gameloop then nothing will fix it for you. I played DS twice. On PS4 and on PC. I liked it on PS4 but I truly fell in love with the game on PC. 21:9, 90+FPS on VRR display, mouse and keyboard controls (especially for navigating menus which you a lot of it in DS). It's just a much nicer experience.

partime

Wonder if Dark Souls 3 is worth playing on PC. I got pretty far on PS4 but gave up. I feel like getting my ass kicked.

Phase

If you guys were to take a guess, what percentage of games support ultrawide resolutions? Just thinking about my options for a new monitor within the next year.

Naked Lunch

I dont have the setup to run this but it has be amazing to play something like Darius Chronicle Saviours.

Last edited:

Kitbash

If you guys were to take a guess, what percentage of games support ultrawide resolutions? Just thinking about my options for a new monitor within the next year.
The percentage is pretty high these days. High enough that it's surprising when a game doesn't support them. Fall Guys didn't at launch (but does now), Hades doesn't. Can't think of any more examples.

It's definitely worth taking the leap.

Armorian

Banned

Definitely most of games released in last few years, if something doesn't you just go to pcgamingwiki and fix is waiting there (hex edit or trainers for fucking gamepass games with no exe files :messenger_tears_of_joy: ).

Wonder if Dark Souls 3 is worth playing on PC. I got pretty far on PS4 but gave up. I feel like getting my ass kicked.

It's the best version by far, I almost completed it (second DLC, main game was beaten) on PS4 with shit framepacing and 30fps lock. After some hex edit tweaking (or souls unsqeezed app) UW PC version is the way to go:

DarkSoulsIIIScreensh.png

New automata ver is UW outside of the box

bb3Volume6facf199f3c671.png

Detroit

4bDetroitBecomeHuman20.png

AC games are unplayable to me without UW since Origins :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ACOdyssey20190502165.png

Top Bottom