• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Ultrawide Gaming

partime

It's the best version by far, I almost completed it (second DLC, main game was beaten) on PS4 with shit framepacing and 30fps lock. After some hex edit tweaking (or souls unsqeezed app) UW PC version is the way to go:

DarkSoulsIIIScreensh.png

New automata ver is UW outside of the box

bb3Volume6facf199f3c671.png

Damn those games look clean. I returned Automata from Steam because the MOD's messed up my game, and it lagged on my system. Now that I have an RTX card I'm thinking of dipping again. I can't. believe how good dark souls looks, do you use a controller or k/m?

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Damn those games look clean. I returned Automata from Steam because the MOD's messed up my game, and it lagged on my system. Now that I have an RTX card I'm thinking of dipping again. I can't. believe how good dark souls looks, do you use a controller or k/m?

Dark souls is running in 5120x2160 and downsampled to 2560x1080 on this sreenshot, game is completely playable on 3070 with these settings (~55FPS on VRR screen). In Automata MSAA is running correctly in this updated version.

It hurts when you select 3440×1440 from the Video menu in games and everything is still 16:9.

That's why you need to check pcgamingwiki for solutions. Almost every game can be properly displayed on UW screen, usually it's just hex edit (you ctrl-c, ctrl-v some values), ini edit or trainer running in the background.

Last edited:

Rikkori

My dream is an ultrawide TV like this:

Personally I found Doom 2016 to be incredible in 21:9, I had to give up real-estate and accept black bars for it but was totally worth it. It works so well with the atmosphere of the game, even more so than Eternal. And it goes without saying but open world games in 21:9 are also just [chef's kiss].

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Metroid Prime Hunerts (Nintendo DS)

Even Nintendo DS games looks amazing in 21:9 so much potential hidden behind that tiny low res screen.

DeSmuME_0.9.12_gite8f619c4_x64-JIT_SSE2___Metroid_Prime_Hunters_18_04_2021_21_44_24.png

DeSmuME_0.9.12_gite8f619c4_x64-JIT_SSE2___Metroid_Prime_Hunters_18_04_2021_21_47_43.png

DeSmuME_0.9.12_gite8f619c4_x64-JIT_SSE2___Metroid_Prime_Hunters_18_04_2021_21_48_38.png
please include some info how to ty.

and i will share some knowledge how to 21:9 tekken 7

Buggy Loop

Detroit is UW with an executable still right?
The game keeps crashing for me and it’s pissing me off. Devs did a shit job porting. Pisses me of even more when we can see how a game can easily be supporting ultrawide with a simple patch, but devs ignore it.

Susurrus

Final Fantasy 14 looks awesome in ultrawide. Way more immersive, and helps the screen from feeling too crowded.
b6c.gif

-----------------------

Me before thread only seeing title: "What is this crap?"

Me after this thread: "Where my UW 50+ inch UHD TV?"

Pagusas

Elden Member
I really wish we’d start seeing 82”+ ultra wides :(. I LOVE my new 34” lg 5k ultra wide, but playing games on it still feels like a downgrade compared to my living room 82” 4K qled

Very nice pictures in here.

I just bought myself a 1440p 144Hz ultrawide monitor to replace my 4k one for gaming. I'll focus more on framerate over resolution and see how it goes.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I really wish we’d start seeing 82”+ ultra wides :(. I LOVE my new 34” lg 5k ultra wide, but playing games on it still feels like a downgrade compared to my living room 82” 4K qled

Couldn't you just force a 21:9 resolution on it and have black bars on the top and bottom.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Detroit is UW with an executable still right?
The game keeps crashing for me and it’s pissing me off. Devs did a shit job porting. Pisses me of even more when we can see how a game can easily be supporting ultrawide with a simple patch, but devs ignore it.

I used this

Yeah they fucked up, even more so considering B2S is native 21:9 even on PS3/4 (with black bars on top and bottom) and supports fullscreen UW perfectly.

This is pretty cool. I might give the game another chance sometime.

It's worth playing but sadly one of the weakest mainline FF games, XIII-2 doesn't have any fix for UW and I'm really interested in playing it...

A2una1

Definitely most of games released in last few years, if something doesn't you just go to pcgamingwiki and fix is waiting there (hex edit or trainers for fucking gamepass games with no exe files :messenger_tears_of_joy: ).

It's the best version by far, I almost completed it (second DLC, main game was beaten) on PS4 with shit framepacing and 30fps lock. After some hex edit tweaking (or souls unsqeezed app) UW PC version is the way to go:

DarkSoulsIIIScreensh.png

New automata ver is UW outside of the box

bb3Volume6facf199f3c671.png

Detroit

4bDetroitBecomeHuman20.png

AC games are unplayable to me without UW since Origins :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ACOdyssey20190502165.png

I would disagree on Dark Souls. I absolutly hate it when the ui is not in the corners, this way it looks like it's floating in the screen and distracts me a lot...

99Luffy

Banned
Reminder that you can add a custom resolution and play in ultrawide on your regular monitor.

32" is roughly equivalant to a 30" ultrawide.
VeUM9Hv.png

And that 43" monitor upgrade in the future...
Sug9nlm.png

Last edited:
What's regarded as the ultimate UWS monitor these days? I used to have an LG 34" (one of the very first UWS) but sold it and now I have the Asus PG27UQ. But I'm getting the UWS itch again.

21:9 is nice i wish it was standard. support for it is hit or miss. when i was looking to buy a new monitor last year i did think about getting a 21:9 but it'd piss me off playing games with black bars or having to mod games. that said, at the same time, i hope we stick with 16:9 for a long time yet. if 21:9 did become standard it'd mean playing old games with black bars or modding games! just keep it as it is. if developers want to support 21:9 fine but 16:9 should be priority all the time. if there is support for both in all games then at least people can make the choice

maybe my next monitor will be a 21:9 because i don't plan on playing games on PC for much longer. a wide screen monitor would be awesome for just basic desktop use.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
What's regarded as the ultimate UWS monitor these days? I used to have an LG 34" (one of the very first UWS) but sold it and now I have the Asus PG27UQ. But I'm getting the UWS itch again.

I got an acer x35, which is at similar standings as the pg27uq. These are going cheap on clearance now.

I think the new 32:9 49" 2000 mini-leds are incoming replacements, but they will not have gsync hardware. so probably worse hdr on windows desktop and no 1fps vrr.

otherwise alienware aw38, a bit bigger, higher res but no fald backlight.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
21:9 is nice i wish it was standard. support for it is hit or miss. when i was looking to buy a new monitor last year i did think about getting a 21:9 but it'd piss me off playing games with black bars or having to mod games. that said, at the same time, i hope we stick with 16:9 for a long time yet. if 21:9 did become standard it'd mean playing old games with black bars or modding games! just keep it as it is. if developers want to support 21:9 fine but 16:9 should be priority all the time. if there is support for both in all games then at least people can make the choice

maybe my next monitor will be a 21:9 because i don't plan on playing games on PC for much longer. a wide screen monitor would be awesome for just basic desktop use.

Imo good time to pick up an x35 before stocks are out.

Phase

Ugh I can't decide between going regular 27" 240hz vs 34" ultrawide 144hz (for 1440p).

These pics look very nice, but I love my frames.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Ugh I can't decide between going regular 27" 240hz vs 34" ultrawide 144hz (for 1440p).

These pics look very nice, but I love my frames.
I love 144hz, but it’s not the most supported framerate in the world. Even then, there’s plenty that lock to 120hz. How many games support 240hz? I imagine 21:9 is either better supported or easier to force than 240hz and easier to run.

UnNamed

Banned
I've just broke my 32:9 Samsung monitor in a stupidest way possible and I want to share with you my loss.

I take my glasses off and for a statistically impossible reason, putting the glasses on the table, the end of the glasses got stuck between the LCD and the frame, <3 millimeter gap. Really, it can't be possibile. I would have preferred if the monitor crashed from a fall or died for no reason instead of this. The monitor is still working but the image is partially broken with lines.

At this point, since the LCD cost is more than 600€, it's good only for the dumpster.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I'll post screens tonight when I'm home but I've been playing Immortals Fenyx Rising on my ultrawide monitor and it looks amazing. But it's no surprise since every game on an ultrawide instantly becomes a much better experience.

Phase

I'll post screens tonight when I'm home but I've been playing Immortals Fenyx Rising on my ultrawide monitor and it looks amazing. But it's no surprise since every game on an ultrawide instantly becomes a much better experience.
You guys are selling me on the UW's. I hope they're as good as I'm hearing.

DeaDPo0L84

You guys are selling me on the UW's. I hope they're as good as I'm hearing.
My initial fear was the amount of support they had but I have yet to encounter a modern game where I had any issues. The only thing I've had to mess with is cutscenes in games having black bars in some games. But there are simple and quick edits you can do to resolve these issues.

This is the monitor I'm currently using:

Buggy Loop

FFXIV in Ultrawide is the only way to play. You can see attack markers that would normally be off-screen in other resolutions.
H9bsDcQ.jpg

I have not tried FFXIV since buying my UW monitor, but that’s tempting me to resub.

Is there an FFXIV GAF community? I used to hang with them on FFXI, no idea if they kept playing it. What server if yes?

Last edited:
Top Bottom