• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21st century? (Car insurance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

In advance: I am not an insurance salesman. If I were reduced to that, I think I'd have to shoot myself rather than live another day reaming people. I'm just a customer who wants a good deal, and who has seen that GAF is a pretty damned good forum for the budget-minded customer.

I currently have a policy with Farmer's. I've been with them since I started driving 5 years ago, and my insurance recently went down a little bit when I turned 21. Despite that, though, and despite being on the contract with my dad, a multi-car discount, multi-policy discount, good student discount, good driver discount, safety course discount, I'm still spending $887 every 6 months, and that's with a money-saving $2500 deductible. This is coming out of my pocket. This has to change.

I've gotten quotes from various outlets on the Internet, and there were a few higher, a couple slightly lower. Then I found one that was so low, from 21st Century, that it nearly made my eyes pop out of my head. $625! So, I'm going to ask if anyone has experience with this company, because this almost seems too good to be true. My dad is prepared to jump ship with me if I do this, so there's a bit riding on this decision.

How is 21st century?

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I use 'em. I pay around that. Never filed a claim (and probably never will as I'm moving out of state), so can't comment. Helpful, eh?

Tarazet

fennec fox said:
I use 'em. I pay around that. Never filed a claim (and probably never will as I'm moving out of state), so can't comment. Helpful, eh?

No billing issues, reactions to traffic citations, usage of roadside assistance, or anything like that? The latter might be important because as of right now I'm no longer a AAA member and I'm relying on my extended Honda warranty for roadside assistance.

Make sure, if you desire, to look into collision and all that good stuff, it will bring up the premium for sure. Also, if pops is jumping in, the rates will likely go down

Tarazet

WasabiKing said:
Make sure, if you desire, to look into collision and all that good stuff, it will bring up the premium for sure. Also, if pops is jumping in, the rates will likely go down

These are the coverage rates:

Liability: $250,000 / 500,000 per event
Property damage: $100,000

Comprehensive deductible: $500
Collision deductible: $500
Uninsured Motorist deductible: $500

If I could pay just the state minimum of $15,000 / 30,000 for liability, then I'd be paying under $250. o_O ...But since I'm still living with my parents, I can't do that. I have to match my dad's coverage, because they're going to go after him, not me.

Ninja Scooter said:
for the best car insurance rates in town
call 1-800-General NOW!

No no no, the Eastwood Cowboy is here for you!

cowboy.jpg

Sonarrat: I'm actually making the switch in the next few months, but I've had family who's been with them for quite some time and they're excellent. From filing a claim, to extended services that come with every policy, it's been great.

Also, it's really broken down by car, not necessarily by driver. You are just factored in as a potential driver as all the vehicles, even though you are not the primary.

Phoenix

Nothing really matters until you have to file a claim... that's when you find out if the insurance you have is actually worth a damn.

Tarazet

WasabiKing said:
No no no, the Eastwood Cowboy is here for you!

cowboy.jpg

Sonarrat: I'm actually making the switch in the next few months, but I've had family who's been with them for quite some time and they're excellent. From filing a claim, to extended services that come with every policy, it's been great.

Also, it's really broken down by car, not necessarily by driver. You are just factored in as a potential driver as all the vehicles, even though you are not the primary.

That sounds good enough for me. I'll make the switch when my current insurance expires in March...

ToxicAdam

This is kind of unhelpful .. but recently I moved from a big city (Cleveland) to about 40 miles south in the middle of nowhere.

My insurance dropped down 220 dollars (from 960 to 740/yr) just because I was living in a higher crime area.

It's just such bullshit that you are held accountable for other peoples (repeated) mistakes. But that's life.

(My insurance was through Progessive. I dropped them once my policy was up).

teiresias

I used to pay about $450 every 6 months, but a couple of months ago my car apparently had a target painted on it somewhere and I ended up making like five claims within a year, only one of which was even remotely my fault. They raised my premium to $643 or so every 6 months and raised my comprehensive deductible from $50 to $250 - as many damn glass claims as I make on my windshield (I attract rocks like a mofo) the raised comprehensive deductible is a pain in the ass. I'm with Allstate.

Tarazet

I've only made one claim so far, to the tune of $5000 worth of damage when my old Celica's front end got smashed in while parked on the street. The front shell and fenders had to be replaced and painted. I didn't file with the police, just wrote up a claim. Farmer's covered it by calling it an 'uninsured motorist' claim, and, to their eternal credit, didn't raise my premiums. That's the best I can say about them...

Service has lapsed, though, and I'm paying too much for too little. Why should I have to pay almost $1800 a year for coverage with a $2500 deductible, especially when I drive a car that's designed to be destructible (Honda Element)? It would literally cost me less than $50 to replace my front bumper, I could do it myself, and it wouldn't have to be painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom