• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 movies Ebert really hated

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTmAn81

Evert was the greatest critic ever because he was a great writer, not because he was right about every movie (see Usual Suspects blurb for evidence).

I wish video gaming will get to the point where we'll have one or multiple great writers who will just 2/10 slam a successful ass game and back it up with their points so well that gamers on the net won't sense a conspiracy but simply realize that opinions can differ.

Ebert was truly outstanding.

Disappointed not to see Pink Flamingos on the list, given the RT blurb from his review.

It's great, but his explicit refusal to give stars to The Human Centipede is even better.

I am required to award stars to movies I review. This time, I refuse to do it. The star rating system is unsuited to this film. Is the movie good? Is it bad? Does it matter? It is what it is and occupies a world where the stars don’t shine

Who gives a fuck. Die Hard is super overrated.

I guess Christmas is overrated too you stupid communist.

Good lord lmao.

16. Tommy Boy, one star.

“No one is funny in ‘Tommy Boy.’ There are no memorable lines. None of the characters is interesting, except for the enigmatic figure played by Rob Lowe, who seems to have wandered over from ‘Hamlet.’ Judging by the evidence on the screen, the movie got a green light before a usable screenplay had been prepared, with everybody reassuring themselves that since they were such funny people, inspiration would overcome them.”

This kills me, as a few lines were said pretty regularly said by me, my extended family, and most of my classmates when I was still in elementary school when it came out.

"Holy Shnikies."
"Shut up Richard."
"Fat guy in little coat."
"If you want me to take a dumb in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I've got spare time."
"Housekeeping..."
"Him too afwaid... Him just a wittle guy."

We would even occasionally slip in a Niner when we could if it fit into conversation.

Yeah, Love Guru is horrible. The one part I like us how he uses the name Mariska Hargitay as a would-be Sanskrit greeting. It's fun to do with superficial suburbanites that try to co-opt Indian culture. You know the type, guys named Larry that greet you with "namaste" and insist you call them by their spiritual name. "Mariska Hargitay!"

Jonbo298

This kills me, as a few lines were said pretty regularly said by me, my extended family, and most of my classmates when I was still in elementary school when it came out.

"Holy Shnikies."
"Shut up Richard."
"Fat guy in little coat."
"If you want me to take a dumb in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I've got spare time."
"Housekeeping..."
"Him too afwaid... Him just a wittle guy."

We would even occasionally slip in a Niner when we could if it fit into conversation.

I still slip some of those lines in from time to time. Especially with family and the Housekeeping scene if we have to knock.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The Usual Suspects is basically a bunch of bullshit spewed by a character for two hours.
Which is basically the premise of all movies. I'm actually surprised that he didn't like that part of it.

Reading his review, it sounds like he watched it the first time under poor circumstances and this colored his opinion. Also, he actually did not understand some of the movie, Hockney states that he stole the truck that had them in the line-up, and more importantly it should be obvious that Soze orchestrated the line-up so as to put his team together for the final job.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I love playing games, but he was right when he said that.

No he wasn't, unless he's only speaking for himself. I'm a huge Ebert fan too. I firmly believe art is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think a girl dumping a can of spaghettio's all over herself while 20 people watch is art, but some of those people may see it that way. I do however consider a lot of games to be very artful, games like journey, firewatch, even the new Doom and Uncharted games. I love the art design of those games, so I consider them artistic. I'm cool with people not agreeing with me though, because it just comes down to how the individual views it.

I think you need the full context of the Schneider Pulitzer own to really appreciate it:

Ebert said:
The movie created a spot of controversy last February. According to a story by Larry Carroll of MTV News, Rob Schneider took offense when Patrick Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times listed this year's Best Picture Nominees and wrote that they were "ignored, unloved and turned down flat by most of the same studios that ... bankroll hundreds of sequels, including a follow-up to 'Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo,' a film that was sadly overlooked at Oscar time because apparently nobody had the foresight to invent a category for Best Running Penis Joke Delivered by a Third-Rate Comic."

Schneider retaliated by attacking Goldstein in full-page ads in Daily Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. In an open letter to Goldstein, Schneider wrote: "Well, Mr. Goldstein, I decided to do some research to find out what awards you have won. I went online and found that you have won nothing. Absolutely nothing. No journalistic awards of any kind ... Maybe you didn't win a Pulitzer Prize because they haven't invented a category for Best Third-Rate, Unfunny Pompous Reporter Who's Never Been Acknowledged by His Peers."

Reading this, I was about to observe that Schneider can dish it out but he can't take it. Then I found he's not so good at dishing it out, either. I went online and found that Patrick Goldstein has won a National Headliner Award, a Los Angeles Press Club Award, a RockCritics.com award, and the Publicists' Guild award for lifetime achievement.

Schneider was nominated for a 2000 Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor, but lost to Jar-Jar Binks.

But Schneider is correct, and Patrick Goldstein has not yet won a Pulitzer Prize. Therefore, Goldstein is not qualified to complain that Columbia financed "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" while passing on the opportunity to participate in "Million Dollar Baby," "Ray," "The Aviator," "Sideways" and "Finding Neverland." As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks.

DJChuy

The Spice Girls Dunkin Donuts line made me laugh hard. Damn...

I didn't expect to see The Usual suspects there. Color me surprised.

lazygecko

I honestly can't stand film critique in general and all the arcane jargon they love to use, but I always enjoyed Roger Ebert's insights. I kind of went on a Siskel & Ebert binge last year watching clips of the show throughout the decades. It was fascinating going through all the different fads of the film industry that hardly anyone even remembers today, like all the quick knockoffs in the wake of Beetlejuice's success.

Who gives/gave a shit? I thought his argument was valid: playing video games is not time well spent. I don't completely agree with it, but there is a small part of me that wishes I could roll some of those hours of my youth into other endeavours.

There's this weird fixation on him because gaming culture as a whole has this ridiculous perpetual inferiority complex, desperately searching for validation from "higher" mediums, and Ebert's status as a film critic came to symbolize that.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I agree with pretty much all of the list, except for The Usual Suspects, which I think is a really good movie.

Who gives a fuck. Die Hard is super overrated.

Okay, now that is just a ridiculous statement. You might not like Die Hard, but your feelings don't change the fact that it's still even today one of the best action films ever made. Your opinion sucks dude!

gamz

I think you need the full context of the Schneider Pulitzer own to really appreciate it:

Yep. That was amazing. You can't go toe to toe with Ebert. You just cant. Well, except Siskel.

One of my favorite slams is when Ebert and Siskel slammed Color of Money. Not because it's a bad film, but a bad film for Martin Scorsese. Basically saying he's too good for this material.

Don't forget Siskel and Ebert created a retrospective for Scorsese because he lost his way and was a mess on booze and coke in the early 80s. They basically said get your shit together.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I tried to watch Armageddon recently. I had forgotten how cheesy and bad it was.

I’ve never really liked Armageddon. At it’s root there is a good story there with great characters, but I just can’t stand the way it’s directed and filmed. It gives me a headache. It’s like two hours of 1.5 second short clips were just spliced together to make one long running shaky cam montage with lots of loudness and noise.

Unless you're watching a particularly accurate documentary, any film you watch is basically going to be ~2 hours of characters saying bullshit. It's fictional, that's the point, and as a general rule people don't complain when fiction is being fiction.

EDIT: I don't want to come across as hating on Ebert, because like most I also found him an interesting writer and critic. Doesn't mean we can't radically disagree with him on some of his perspectives, obviously.

Cheerilee

No he wasn't, unless he's only speaking for himself. I'm a huge Ebert fan too. I firmly believe art is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think a girl dumping a can of spaghettio's all over herself while 20 people watch is art, but some of those people may see it that way. I do however consider a lot of games to be very artful, games like journey, firewatch, even the new Doom and Uncharted games. I love the art design of those games, so I consider them artistic. I'm cool with people not agreeing with me though, because it just comes down to how the individual views it.

I remember when Ebert first questioned (by denying) "games as art", someone (might have been Ebert) mentioned that we need to be mindful of the distinction between games being art and games having art in them.

Jack and Rich from RedLetterMedia recently called out third person shooters as the current refuge of game designers who have cinematic-style artistic aspirations, but can't come up with game design creativity to match. They're a great example of games that have art in them.

Personally, I believe that games can be (and sometimes are) art. I think something like Tetris (when it came out) is gameplay art by itself. I haven't played the new Doom, but I've heard how it discourages the style of gameplay that's common in modern shooters, and incentivizes fast gameplay. That's videogame art, IMO. And it doesn't hurt that Doom (unlike Tetris) is immersed in other kinds of art.

But back to the subject of Ebert, he slammed videogames as art, but he also backed up and supported his arguments to an amazing degree (he said some pretty advanced stuff that I had trouble following). Even though I don't agree, I've gotta respect his opinion.

YesManKablaam

Neo Member
There's this weird fixation on him because gaming culture as a whole has this ridiculous perpetual inferiority complex, desperately searching for validation from "higher" mediums, and Ebert's status as a film critic came to symbolize that.

It's cyclical, look at early film criticism and the exact same pattern is present, seeking validation by drawing comparison to older, more established mediums. Ebert was a trailblazer in celebrating the new American cinema of the time that was heavily influenced by the likes of the Nouvelle Vague, Italian Neorealism and other prominent European film movements.

If anything I was majorly disappointed when he put forward his views on videogames as an artistic medium. Here's a man who made his name championing the new generation of filmmakers that were going against the established formula (which he himself as a critic did as well), and somewhere down the line he then becomes the old guard. In those last few years I lost interest in his work as he slowly became irrelevant in the modern climate. Quite sad, really.

PSqueak

Banned
wow at the Spice Girls burn.

Also, his reaction to North is hilarious.

Freddy Got Fingered should have been awarded negative stars, i mean i guess his barrel metaphor does grades it in negatives, but he should have made it official, that movie is so bad that it basically upgrades every other movie ever one full star.

The Lamp

Spice World half a star? That movie was funny and it had hot Spice Girls in it doing their music.

OMG I LOVED CHARLIE'S ANGELS (even though it was mediocre).

Screw you, Robert.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The reason I was so drawn to him years ago wasn't if I agreed with him or not (more often than not I did) but because his writing was amazing. This, augmented with his encyclopedic knowledge of cinema, make him one of the greatest critics who's ever lived.

Screw you, Robert.

Robert Eger?

Risible

Evert was the greatest critic ever because he was a great writer, not because he was right about every movie (see Usual Suspects blurb for evidence).

This guy gets it. You don't have to agree with his opinions, just recognize he was a great and entertaining writer.

bunbun777

Tommy boy 1 star? I would have to take off my glove and slap him knowing full well he may in fact be a better duelist than I.

SeanC

Ebert was the perfect balance of film lover, being critical and being able to speak with a measured voice about film to an audience. He had passion that never really rolled into hyperbole. I don't know if many other critics, particularly when it comes to reviews, strike that as well as he did. There are others I enjoy reading but you could tell immediately something that Ebert wrote.

He wrote in that "speaking voice" as though he's communicating directly to you without sacrificing the points and analysis with it. His "Great Movies" essays are some of the best write-ups on film out there. I always got the sense he could write pages and pages more on one film but forced himself to limit it. There's a lot of critics and film scholars out there that can write a ton about a film but I don't think anyone conveyed it as eloquently as Ebert could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom