• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

23 small earthquakes at Yellowstone in 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
wenis said:
start to worry a bit more, pulled this off wiki (I think we can take this one as fact considering I don't think anyone goes out of their way to deface the "Caldera" article :lol)

"When Yellowstone Caldera last erupted some 640,000 years ago, it released about 1,000 km3 of dense rock equivalent (DRE) material, covering a substantial part of North America in up to two metres of debris."

or check out Supervolcano a docudrama.

I actually saw super volcano a couple of times on (iirc) Discovery channel and that shit really makes you think....

Let's hope it doesn't go ape shit in my life time :D

ah right. isn't that where the biggest freaking humongous magma chamber of the world is?

super volcano on it's way guys.. get ready for a long night.

'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you! '

big_z

teh fuck with the bible thumping in this thread?

i live just outside of edmonton. looks like im safe... sucks for the rest of you.
supervolcano_qjpreviewth.gif

Red Scarlet

Hmm, didn't feel anything, and I live about 90 minutes away from Yellowstone. No one's mentioned it either. When it does go though, I'll die instantly while some of you folks get to deal with the fallout or whatever.

AniHawk

big_z said:
teh fuck with the bible thumping in this thread?

i live just outside of edmonton. looks like im safe... sucks for the rest of you.
supervolcano_qjpreviewth.gif

Looks like most of California's safe. And by safe I mean not much die immediately, but will in the ensuing chaos.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Red Scarlet said:
Hmm, didn't feel anything, and I live about 90 minutes away from Yellowstone. No one's mentioned it either. When it does go though, I'll die instantly while some of you folks get to deal with the fallout or whatever.

Why do I keep thinking you're from the UK? Weird.

Pimpwerx

Red Scarlet said:
Sorry Scar, looks like you're the canary in this coal mine. :lol :( PEACE.

Red Scarlet said:

You'll live just long enough to realize you're about to die :D

Walshicus

kozmo7 said:
I do too.. but if that coldera collapsed, wouldn't that kill us all?

Man.. I already obsess and worry about enough stuff. :lol
It'd probably kill you. But we here would get away singed. Probably.

Bregor

Earthstrike said:
Isn't there some kind of way we can exhaust some of the magma/pressure so we don't end up with some kind of superdisaster?

Set off nukes at the critical point, that always works in the movies!

tak

Earthstrike said:
Isn't there some kind of way we can exhaust some of the magma/pressure so we don't end up with some kind of superdisaster?
What ever the solution is, it'll only work if Bruce Willis is involved some how.

Earthstrike said:

Yes, but it would require stopping the rotation of the core, and as we all know getting that bitch jump started is quite the dangerous venture. Lifes will be lost.

RedShift

Bah, ever since I watched that Supervolcano docudrama I've always been a bit worried about that place.

Studying Pompeii repeatedly hasn't helped.

We need to send in some of those superheroes I guess.

OMG! SSSAWW THIS ON DISCOBERY CHANNLE ON MEGA DISASTERS!....

IT'S GOING TO EXPLOAD AND IT WILL BE THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!

SUPPOSEDLY A TSUNAMI, HURRICANE, NUCLEAR WARFARE AND GLOBAL WARMING WILL FOLLOW.

doomsday.gif

sODOM AND gOMMORAH IS HAPPENING BECAUSE OF PROP 8 and ObamaBi(n la)den

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Go East) Life is peaceful there
(Go East) In the open air
(Go East) Where the skies are blue
(Go East) This is what we're gonna do

Well I just came here to post that this is perfectly normal, but somebody already did that. Be cool guys, Yellowstone is a place where earth is pretty much alive downthere.

If it looks like it will blow, don't worry, I have the perfect plan:

- Use government coveruped large triangular UFO craft to goto Antartica

- Cut off a huge piece of ice shelf

- Drop into Yellowstone caldera

- Win

AndresON777

shooting blanks
roosters93 said:
'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the
tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you! '

Eh that's not even the original verse although it probably sounds better.

Oh well I hope I get to play Killzone 2 before the world ends.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
RedShift said:
Bah, ever since I watched that Supervolcano docudrama I've always been a bit worried about that place.

Studying Pompeii repeatedly hasn't helped.

We need to send in some of those superheroes I guess.

If I was ever to get coated in ash and my body remains a statue I think I might raise my arm towards the heavens and give one mighty powerful middle finger for all the future to see.

Garcia

kozmo7 said:
If I was ever to get coated in ash and my body remains a statue I think I might raise my arm towards the heavens and give one mighty powerful middle finger for all the future to see.

Please do that. That would be incredible to see.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dudes, calm down.

Take a look at the earthquake map for ANY seismically active area.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Here's Southern California:

117-33.gif

The answer is: Big fucking deal.

Garcia

Angry Grimace said:
Also, earthquake doesn't mean "Supervolcano eruption." i.e.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_Yellowstone_earthquake

Could be a precursor to a big earthquake, and not a magma event. Also, magma events can occur on non-catastrophic levels. And usually do.

Also worth mentioning that even though the magma chamber keeps rising, it also falls again at random periods of time.

It is impossible to tell if any major event will happen. I guess if the chamber was to actually exhaust, the big tremors would happen immediately before the eruption.

According to wiki...

For three months in 1985, 3,000 minor earthquakes were detected in the northwestern section of the park, during what has been referred to as an earthquake swarm, and has been attributed to minor subsidence of the Yellowstone caldera.[32] Beginning on April 30, 2007, sixteen small earthquakes with magnitudes up to 2.7 occurred in the Yellowstone Caldera for several days. These swarms of earthquakes are common, and there have been 70 such swarms between 1983 and 2006

Not the end of the world...I hope.

Godslay

Banned
I live about about 5 hours from Yellowstone, in Wyoming. If this thing blows everyone will pretty much suffer around the world in one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom