• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

23 small earthquakes at Yellowstone in 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread isn't sensationalist titled enough. A mod here should edit it to like "IMMINENT DEATH at Yellowstone, "We just hope the human race can survive."

But it's always possible the eruption wouldn't be as bad isn't it?

Didn't MT St Helen's erupt again recently and it wasn't like the previous one?

Darklord

Banned
Cellbomber said:

It wasn't building pressure for 640,000 years. Also Yellowstones will be about 10,000 times bigger than St Helen's massive one.

Finn

This thread is like those people in NYC who hold signs declaring we all must repent because the end is nigh, except in virtual form.

I can't wait until nothing happens and this thread falls to page 5.

White Man

big_z said:
supervolcano_qjpreviewth.gif

It's as though the planet itself is telling me to move from Bellevue and back into Seattle.

Cellbomber said:

The last time Yellowstone erupted was just 70,000 years ago. The "big" one happens every 600,000 years on average so pretty much shit could go down anytime now.

Finn

BakedPigeon said:
The last time Yellowstone erupted was just 70,000 years ago. The "big" one happens every 600,000 years on average so pretty much shit could go down anytime now.
dantes%20peak%20hd-dvd%20capture.JPG

ANYTIME?!

Phoenix

Finn said:
This thread is like those people in NYC who hold signs declaring we all must repent because the end is nigh, except in virtual form.

I can't wait until nothing happens and this thread falls to page 5.

Well 'eventually' something will happen. The earth is going to need release sooner or later. You can't stroke the stone for 640,000 years and not expect something to come out.

Finn

Phoenix said:
Well 'eventually' something will happen. The earth is going to need release sooner or later. You can't stroke the stone for 640,000 years and not expect something to come out.
$20 we're all already dead before it happens, though.

Finn

BakedPigeon said:
Well if the big one blows every 600,000 years and its already been 640,000 years since the last one then yea I would say anytime. smartass.
Give or take 10,000 or so years, right?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
screw this...im going to the shed.

anyone feel like taking in a 3-d artist over in the UK? I'm toilet trained.

JBuccCP

I guess going into an underground tornado shelter would be a bad idea since I doubt I could get the door open with 6 feet of ash on it.

perfectchaos007 said:
I think he's talking about the massive Tsunami that's supposed to destroy the East coast when this huge Island off the coast of Africa collapses.

Oh, well there's far, far more to NY then NYC. I've never been to NYC.

A tsunami would have to be roughly 3000 feet when it reached NYC, to get here. We calculated it somewhere. And a 3000 foot tsunami is pretty much impossible.

NintendoTogepi said:
Oh, well there's far, far more to NY then NYC. I've never been to NYC.

A tsunami would have to be roughly 3000 feet when it reached NYC, to get here. We calculated it somewhere.

You live in Buffalo or something? You'll still be in trouble. 12 million NYC residents running your way. Good luck!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
NintendoTogepi said:
At long as you're east of the Mississippi, you probably have a good chance of survival. :lol

Well, I have my plane ticket ready for the 5th, let's hope she can hold till then.

:(((((((

Darklord

Banned
Isn't it the deeper the quake, the worse it is? Most aren't deep but there are a few like 16 miles down, weak ones but the lava is only 10 miles down.

Ydahs

I've watched quite a few documentaries about this! The large eruption will affect most, if not all the world, plunging the Earth into freezing temperatures as the sun will be blocked. It'll stop global warming!
Darklord said:
Isn't it the deeper the quake, the worse it is? Most aren't deep but there are a few like 16 miles down, weak ones but the lava is only 10 miles down.
2e2qdcy.jpg

I'm just going to use the plan I have filed under "Invasion, Zombie"

I'm going to get a shit load of guns and barricade up in a grocery store or a pharmacy and shoot any mf'er that tries to get in. When the food supplies run out, I'm going to OD on pain killers.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ydahs said:
I've watched quite a few documentaries about this! The large eruption will affect most, if not all the world, plunging the Earth into freezing temperatures as the sun will be blocked. It'll stop global warming!

2e2qdcy.jpg

affect most; so what place that would be more likely to be safe?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
NintendoTogepi said:
At long as you're east of the Mississippi, you probably have a good chance of survival. :lol
Not really...prevailing winds will generally push all the ash and crap east. It'll take a while for it to eventually go around the world and hit the western US. In reality, the entire world's fucked, those who don't die in the immediate eruption will have a much slower, worse fate if humanity doesn't figure out how to survive the post-nuclear-like winter that's in store.

Darklord

Banned
IntelliHeath said:
affect most; so what place that would be more likely to be safe?

Southern hemisphere, other wide of the world I'd guess. The further, the better. Places like Australia ect.

We wouldn't be wiped out from this. Although, it could start a war. With America crippled other countries can take advantage or, hell, even America striking to get a livable area for it's people. Probably not but always possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom