• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

23 Times America Failed Black People in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people heard much Australian rap, with Australian accents, they'd understand that it's an acquired taste that even a lot of Australians who are into rap don't like. If Iggy grew up on American rap, I could understand her desire to rap in that style.

Lots of singers sing in an accent that differs from their own.
This. I can name several singers who I swore were American but are actually from the UK or something.

Jooney

I find the omission of Cliven Bundy strange. Sure it took some old-school racism for his issue to be taken out of the spotlight, but the larger issue of a white man actively mooching off public land for decades and then participating in an armed resistance against the government remains. And the fact that the armed struggle was considered righteous and noble in some corners is telling: Government enforcement of the law is only oppression when it happens to people who look like you.

Enron

Banned
This and I feel like the article does more to entertain than inform which seems like a marginalization of the issues.

Well at least it's a more thoughtful OP than his "Police setting Ferguson fires deliberately" thread where he linked to some alex jones infowars level video on youtube.

Dude Abides

Banned
So true.

Also Eminem is still in rap after making HORRIFIC statements about brown women. Would a black artists still be in a more white genre of music if he made the same statements about white women?

This is another example of white privilege existing in the context of brown music.

Ice Cube made Cave Bitch and things seem to have worked out ok for him.

#4 is dumb.

i will now ignore the rest of the list and focus on #4

i am #4 was a terrible movie too.

if you haven't seen it... don't!

watch Chronicle or Skyline instead.

12 Iggy whatever doesn't deserve to be there but Jennifer Lopez's "booty" was a thing back in the 90s. But if they should credit anyone for a "booty trend" it'd be Sir Mix-a-lot. If they're referring to currently well whatever.

I think they could've picked better because there's certainly more than 23 examples from just this year to choose from.

Just bought the Thug cookbook as a christmas gift to myself
and Im a black man
. Some of these things in the OP bother me and some dont. Still racism is very much alive in this country,we need change.

Pterion

I would have to agree, being an African-American myself. We're always being treated like garbage.

If I was rich, I'd move somewhere else like in the UK, Europe or in Japan.
Good luck avoiding racism in those countries, especially Japan. Don't get me wrong, blacks are on average treated worse than most in the USA, but that goes for most places on earth, including some countries in Africa. I'd look for more progressive countries such as Canada if I were you...

I think the issue with the whole "appropriating black culture" thing that irks people when it comes to hip-hop is when the genre or medium is only really taken seriously when white people do it. It's not a knock on Macklemore, but when people say (like the infamous Cliffy B tweet) shit like "Macklemore is the first rapper that has something to say" it can probably be taken as an insult to black and other minority rappers that have been doing that shit for years. Same with rock radio stations that randomly play eminem or macklemore songs. What is really the reason for it? It's part of that institutionalized racism issue.

diehard

Fleer
How does some newspaper writing a headline or some magazine misappropriating the "booty crazy" somehow "America failing black people".

There are legit concerns crammed in with utter nonsense.

Exactly why the author should've omitted the flimsier supporting points from the list. There are news stories of black people being discriminated against or mistreated on a weekly basis. Surely, the author could've talked about the lesser known stories of this ilk instead of focusing on symptoms of other issues (sensationalist media, excessive consumerism, etc) and tying it all to racism.

I'm not ignoring the overall message because of some weaker points but there are people who do. Giving them that chance is a terrible way to send a message.

Malyse

Exactly why the author should've omitted the flimsier supporting points from the list. There are news stories of black people being discriminated against or mistreated on a weekly basis. Surely, the author could've talked about the lesser known stories of this ilk instead of focusing on symptoms of other issues (sensationalist media, excessive consumerism, etc) and tying it all to racism.

I'm not ignoring the overall message because of some weaker points but there are people who do. Giving them that chance is a terrible way to send a message.
That's valid, but I think the intent was to show how nuanced and across the spectrum racism is and has been.

CHusson91

Banned
I would have to agree, being an African-American myself. We're always being treated like garbage.

If I was rich, I'd move somewhere else like in the UK, Europe or in Japan.

If you think you'd get treated better in Japan, you're completely ignorant about the country. My African American friends who live here have told me about some horrible situations they've been in simply because of their skin color.

dejay

Banned
I think the issue with the whole "appropriating black culture" thing that irks people when it comes to hip-hop is when the genre or medium is only really taken seriously when white people do it. It's not a knock on Macklemore, but when people say (like the infamous Cliffy B tweet) shit like "Macklemore is the first rapper that has something to say" it can probably be taken as an insult to black and other minority rappers that have been doing that shit for years. Same with rock radio stations that randomly play eminem or macklemore songs. What is really the reason for it? It's part of that institutionalized racism issue.

This is true. People shouldn't hate on artists doing something they love, they should hate on the media and the racist or ignorant who try to whitewash an artform and don't give the credit and the recognition to where it's deserved.

First I've heard of this sketchfactor app but it seems to me more like a way to avoid neighborhoods with high crime rates while walking home. The fact that there are a lot of black people in these poor neighborhoods is a failure of the system. I doubt the app is meant to avoid black people, it is just an extremely unfortunate result. I think that observation is much more poignant and relevant towards class and racial disparity than claiming they made an app with the purpose of avoiding black people.

Piecake

That racism still extends to today.

Now you are just creating a strawman and moving goal posts. When did I ever say that racism does not exist today? And if most people credit black culture today with developing rock, how does racism play into that? That's the argument we were having, whether the majority of Americans believe that. I mean, I am sure there are racists out there and there are people who say ignorant stupid shit, but that doesnt disprove that the majority of Americans believe rock came from black culture.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Now you are just creating a strawman and moving goal posts. When did I ever say that racism does not exist today? And if most people credit black culture today with developing rock, how does racism play into that? That's the argument we were having, whether the majority of Americans believe that. I mean, I am sure there are racists out there and there are people who say ignorant stupid shit, but that doesnt disprove that the majority of Americans believe rock came from black culture.

Sorry I must have misunderstood you.

Forkball

I'm sorry, I had no idea what bae was for a long time. I never heard it until recently. I thought people were talking about a Korean guy or something.

I’m sorry, but there are many problems with this whole thing.

The title, “23 Times America Failed Black People in 2014” takes the actions of dozens of white people against dozens of black people and applies it to the 300m people in America. I bet dozens of white people were nice to black people today as well, but I’m not going to stretch that to include an entire race of people and a country. This. Title. Is. Clickbait. Here are some of the points I found problematic

4. Black culture and music kept getting appropriated by white artists. What is it with white vs. black culture? It’s stupid. Because a black person created something, white people can’t touch it? Lets take it in the other direction. Black people can no longer use iPhones, modern toilets, cars, bicycles, planes, lightbulbs, or democracy. People need to stop putting up walls, Iggy and Macklemore can rap, black artists can sing whatever they want as well.

5. No one cared about Ebola until it started affecting white people. This is close-minded and stupid. We didn’t care about Ebola before because it didn’t pose a threat to our wellbeing. Some may argue this is self-centered and arrogant, that just because it doesn’t affect us doesn’t mean we shouldn’t care, yet we care about plenty of problems in Africa that still don’t affect us. Excuse us for not having enough empathy to go around.

8.This article certainly helps, it points out how the case is not comparable to the Trayvon Martin case. Onto Trayvon, Although George Zimmerman seemed like a powertripping neighborhood watch asshole, it is worth noting that Trayvon gave him a bloody nose and gashes/scratches on his head before he was shot at extremely close range (1-18inches). If Zimmerman really was intent on murdering Martin due to his racist mindset I doubt he would have waited until he got beaten up. Since Martin was only shot once, it stands to reason he started the (physical) altercation as he wasn’t provoked by a gunshot or anything like that. Of course it is totally possible (and likely in my opinon) that Zimmerman may have stirred to pot by messing with Trayvon verbally, that doesn’t mean he is a murderer though.

9. Sure, its stupid that every holiday has to have a big sale to hopefully profit a faceless corporation, but why should an MLK Day sale include context when Labor Day sales events don’t mention the Pullman Strike, Memorial Day sales don’t talk about veterans who died for their country, and basically no other holiday sale feels the need to do anything but shove the name in. Also Veterans aren’t featured in Memorial Day sales fliers, so black people shouldn’t have to be in an MLK day ad.

12. Vogue wasn’t saying white people invented the booty, they credited Iggy/JLo for bringing ass to the forefront recently, which is what happened. Nicki Minaj also brought back the booty, but the article was written specifically tying into the fact that “Booty” had just been released by Lopez and Azalea.

14. Another item on the list whining about cultural appropriation. If white people can’t use black words, black people can’t use white words such as any word with a Latin root or an etymology anchored in a European country. Oh wait, limiting people’s vocabulary in the interest of political correctness is the stupidest thing I’ve heard today.

16. Women of all races get slut shamed all the time. Props to Minaj and Rihanna for making the issue about race and not gender, I guess…?

17. This is a boldfaced lie. Variety never said Elvis created or invented Rock n Roll. They described him struggling to find the right sound and taking inspiration from Arthur Crudup, a black man. The title of the article, “How Elvis Sparked the Rock ‘n’ Roll Era on July 5, 1954” is referring to the fact that Elvis’ popularity lifted rock music alongside him.

21. SketchFactor never mentions that avoids black neighborhoods specifically, because it doesn’t. It avoids bad neighborhoods regqrdless of race. The author of the article is the one equating a sketchy neighborhood with an African American population, which is the problem.

22. This isn’t about race. The idiot pulled a fake gun modified to look real on a cop. It doesn’t matter if the kid was white, black, purple or green, he was being shot regardless
23. Evidence points to Mike Brown stealing Cigars and disobeying a police officer. He also had gunpowder on his hand suggesting he was in fact extremely close to the cop when he was shot. All the eyewitness reports were made up or exaggerated, and bottom line is, Mike Brown shouldn’t lunge at a man with a gun.

The other examples are okay, but not indicative of a country-wide problem

Speevy

Banned

The title, “23 Times America Failed Black People in 2014” takes the actions of dozens of white people against dozens of black people and applies it to the 300m people in America. I bet dozens of white people were nice to black people today as well, but I’m not going to stretch that to include an entire race of people and a country. This. Title. Is. Clickbait. Here are some of the points I found problematic

4. Black culture and music kept getting appropriated by white artists. What is it with white vs. black culture? It’s stupid. Because a black person created something, white people can’t touch it? Lets take it in the other direction. Black people can no longer use iPhones, modern toilets, cars, bicycles, planes, lightbulbs, or democracy. People need to stop putting up walls, Iggy and Macklemore can rap, black artists can sing whatever they want as well.

5. No one cared about Ebola until it started affecting white people. This is close-minded and stupid. We didn’t care about Ebola before because it didn’t pose a threat to our wellbeing. Some may argue this is self-centered and arrogant, that just because it doesn’t affect us doesn’t mean we shouldn’t care, yet we care about plenty of problems in Africa that still don’t affect us. Excuse us for not having enough empathy to go around.

8.This article certainly helps, it points out how the case is not comparable to the Trayvon Martin case. Onto Trayvon, Although George Zimmerman seemed like a powertripping neighborhood watch asshole, it is worth noting that Trayvon gave him a bloody nose and gashes/scratches on his head before he was shot at extremely close range (1-18inches). If Zimmerman really was intent on murdering Martin due to his racist mindset I doubt he would have waited until he got beaten up. Since Martin was only shot once, it stands to reason he started the (physical) altercation as he wasn’t provoked by a gunshot or anything like that. Of course it is totally possible (and likely in my opinon) that Zimmerman may have stirred to pot by messing with Trayvon verbally, that doesn’t mean he is a murderer though.

9. Sure, its stupid that every holiday has to have a big sale to hopefully profit a faceless corporation, but why should an MLK Day sale include context when Labor Day sales events don’t mention the Pullman Strike, Memorial Day sales don’t talk about veterans who died for their country, and basically no other holiday sale feels the need to do anything but shove the name in. Also Veterans aren’t featured in Memorial Day sales fliers, so black people shouldn’t have to be in an MLK day ad.

12. Vogue wasn’t saying white people invented the booty, they credited Iggy/JLo for bringing ass to the forefront recently, which is what happened. Nicki Minaj also brought back the booty, but the article was written specifically tying into the fact that “Booty” had just been released by Lopez and Azalea.

14. Another item on the list whining about cultural appropriation. If white people can’t use black words, black people can’t use white words such as any word with a Latin root or an etymology anchored in a European country. Oh wait, limiting people’s vocabulary in the interest of political correctness is the stupidest thing I’ve heard today.

16. Women of all races get slut shamed all the time. Props to Minaj and Rihanna for making the issue about race and not gender, I guess…?

17. This is a boldfaced lie. Variety never said Elvis created or invented Rock n Roll. They described him struggling to find the right sound and taking inspiration from Arthur Crudup, a black man. The title of the article, “How Elvis Sparked the Rock ‘n’ Roll Era on July 5, 1954” is referring to the fact that Elvis’ popularity lifted rock music alongside him.

21. SketchFactor never mentions that avoids black neighborhoods specifically, because it doesn’t. It avoids bad neighborhoods regqrdless of race. The author of the article is the one equating a sketchy neighborhood with an African American population, which is the problem.

22. This isn’t about race. The idiot pulled a fake gun modified to look real on a cop. It doesn’t matter if the kid was white, black, purple or green, he was being shot regardless
23. Evidence points to Mike Brown stealing Cigars and disobeying a police officer. He also had gunpowder on his hand suggesting he was in fact extremely close to the cop when he was shot. All the eyewitness reports were made up or exaggerated, and bottom line is, Mike Brown shouldn’t lunge at a man with a gun.

Run.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Ahahahahaha

Coins

Banned
What a stupid list. Having the Garner situation in a list that also mentions whites in rap and explaining the word bae is ridiculous.

I don't think that was the idea mate. Macklemore slammed through the grammys and has gotten a mainstream that is questionable regarding the quality. When the less talented white version gets all the cookies, people think the game is rigged.

You're not going to win this debate. Your using logic on peoples feelings. But the way people feel about certain words, make your logic exempt. That is really the gist of it.

I get what you're saying, but people are attached to their culture, they define themselves by it, and they want to be credited and protect why they have. Surely a problem that will only get bigger as we continue in a globalized direction, but to sum up what a mod said in one of these "stop being offended over the bad words" threads; It upsets people. Stop saying it. There is plenty of other words you can use. Fighting this semantics fight serves no purpose. If they feel it's their word, let them have it. Bae doesn't hinder your daily life, nor is a slippery slope.

I'm conflicted about Minaj because it's just race, but also sexual energy. The video Anaconda is insanely explicit, but there is no doubt that the "shaming" is of another character. I didn't paid much attention and it's clear that the hate she got for this was of a racial nature. You can't say that about Taylor swift, lady gaga and so on.

You can argue this and you might be right, but remember the ESPN anchor who got chastised for saying that if he saw a black man with a hoodie he would cross the street because, black man in a hoodie = gang related?
A lot of people feel confident that the kids skin color stereotypically might have made the cop more edgy than had it been a white kid.
Either way, it's hypothetical, and I am well aware that white kids have been gunned down. I think it happened here in Scandinavia a few times. We tried passing a law that made it illegal to make toy guns in non-bright colors.

Maybe you are right about some of the things you say, but don't you think you are arguing the swing of the pendulum unnecessarily? Like, even if some of these are over reaction or fishing for straws, many of the significant ones are not, and it really just goes to show that black people in America are a fed up people who havent been able to entirely move past it's horrid past. Over reactions sometimes are understandable.

tumblr_mqe3l0FUlY1saqds9o1_500.gif

All I can say is.....may Cyan have mercy on your soul?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom