• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 Reasons The Evil Within will Rock; Pre-Order Steam version 25% off Limited Time

-MD-

Has Bethesda confirmed if there's going to be an Evil Within preload so I can nag GMG to release the keys around preload time?

Don't think we've heard anything about preloading yet, probably won't until closer to launch.

Wolfenstein had one though so start nagging! I want my key early too =)

Really hoping Evil Within does well. I love horror games and just recently played through RE4. I might get this on pc for that price. Was thinking of getting it on ps4 but i doubt it will run at 60 even though its id tech 5. The amount of gore and monsters look crazy. Other then getting an Xbox in October. This is my most wanted game in October. Would have been great to have played it in August.

JJD

This thread looks suspicious

I don't think so. Dusk has been pretty open about his intentions and has said he has no affiliation to the publishers or devs. He may not be as well known on GAF as you are but I for one enjoy his threads a lot and I always pay attention to his posts.

I am looking forward to TEW, but frankly I was thinking of waiting until the price drops. There are a lot of games coming next month and this looks like it will drop in price real quick.

That said I always felt bad about this. I love Mikami and his games (and survival horror and horror games in general) and I want this to do good so I'm torn on buying it day 1 or waiting since I'm already spending a lot of money on games (bought D3, PvZ, Metro Redux and pre ordered Destiny last week and I'm looking for the Alien game next month...thank God DA Inquisition was delayed). I'm drowning on next gen games after the drought! Lol

I'm going to check if the Plus discount is up and if it is I'm going to pre order it. I don't give a crap about Zenimax or Bethesda but I want to see Tango and Shinji succeed.

Edit: Pre order is not up on the PS4 or webstore.

I've only had one question since catching a glimpse of the gameplay of this game on YouTube. Is the poor frame rate just a temporary thing?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've only had one question since catching a glimpse of the gameplay of this game on YouTube. Is the poor frame rate just a temporary thing?
In the demo builds, Xbox One version was running a lot more fluid than the PS4 version, but I think it might have been a newer build. But they've said improving the frame rate, load times, and polishing are their focuses right now as game is already playable from beginning to end as of now.

IvorB

Sounds interesting OP. and I love horror games. But my negativity towards this games stems from it being from Bethesda.

antitrop

After reading the OP, all I really have to say is that I hope Phil Kollar doesn't review the game for Polygon. Especially the part about the aiming, that's why he didn't like The Last of Us.

Sounds amazing, can't wait! I don't like puzzles, but whatever, I'll just use a guide for those.

Sounds interesting OP. and I love horror games. But my negativity towards this games stems from it being from Bethesda.
Bethesda is one of my favorite publishers, but I'm guessing you got burned on Skyrim PS3 or something.

Thanks for the informative OP, I had no idea that the game was even coming out next month. Definitely sounds interesting, will probably pick it up.

antitrop

Since it's Id Tech 5, I'll get the PS4 version instead.

This. I got Wolfenstein on PC and made a huge mistake. I actually completely forgot that iDTech 5 doesn't support SLI, so yeah, definitely getting on console.

And that bullshit from the devs about horror games being better in 30fps is COMPLETE BULLSHIT, because I'm replaying Resident Evil 4 in 60fps right now and it makes the game infinitely better.

sheaaaa

This. I got Wolfenstein on PC and made a huge mistake. I actually completely forgot that iDTech 5 doesn't support SLI, so yeah, definitely getting on console.

And that bullshit from the devs about horror games being better in 30fps is COMPLETE BULLSHIT, because I'm replaying Resident Evil 4 in 60fps right now and it makes the game infinitely better.

What was wrong with Wolfenstein on PC? It ran perfectly on mine.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I really wish we had PC info so I can jump on the gmg deal...

Yeah thats the only reason im holding off. Wolf didnt run bad but it needed a beefy machine and it wasnt able to keep a smooth framerate for me like the ps4 one did, which is why people go with console for id5.

Unless there is a severe loading difference given how many loading screens appear to be in this game. If pc is quick it might just be worth the slower fps.

Dusk Golem

Hardly. More like a vocal minority of dedicated fans.
Like the opposite of the atypical vocal negativity. Except I do think it'll change after the game is released and people play it.

I have no idea how it will do review wise. For flaws the game has for me playing it or things I think might be flaws in the long-run:

-Gotta get this out of the way, some performance. Know their polishing it up and say it's their main focus right now, but frame rate and load times are the most glaring problem right now and a must to get down really. And a minor thing, when you first load in a level there's the texture pop-in for a secon or two, not terrible but a bit distracting.

-Sometimes the camera is a bit awkward. This is minor but I ran into two camera frustrations. There's this one room with a curtain and an enemy where I had to struggle with the camera to see what I was doing. The second was this one corridor when aiming down with the gun the camera zoomed in so much I had a hard time aiming at a couple enemies coming at me as I wasn't adjusted to the zoom in feature of aiming (how close or far the camera is zoomed out when aiming depends on the area you are in).

-The randomized features could make it that players by chance are given a better or worse hand dealt and make things easier/harder for them.

-Some may not enjoy the elements that feel purposely limited for gameplay. Sebastian's aiming feels a bit clunky on purpose, and he has a bit of a shake to his aim and a recoil when shooting, and he doesn't hit dead square where he's aiming. There are upgrades with green gel to improve these areas, but some I doubt will appreciate them.

-And this is hard to judge from the demo, but from what I've seen and played from the game, I'm hoping the pacing doesn't feel weird between more open environments where you're given a lot of control an choice, and more scripted and linear scenarios where an event happens.

However, I can see the game lacking mainstream appeal, and some of its mechanics and design are old-school. Like old mixed with new. For me and a lot of horror fans this is what we want, but how will that lend review wise, for example?

I remember around the time the luke warm previews started an interview with Mikami surfaced that gave the impression that his heart was in making Zwei happen and then Bethesda made him do a AAA game instead. The one cool thing in the OP to me was the whole random placement elements, but then again it could be thought of as Mikami not wanting to fully design the thing. I've had a physical copy pre-ordered and will definitely pick it up but won't open it until a good number of positive reviews and impressions arrive.

antitrop

Same here. I didn't have any problems with it on PC either. Could run it almost maxed on a 660Ti. Makes me confident that TEW will be a good experience aswell.

660Ti is a single GPU.

iDTech 5 has serious problems with SLI profiles. Basically just doesn't work at all. I think someone figured out some tricks to get some SLI performance in Rage, but nobody has put that effort into Wolfenstein.

I have a GTX 590, which is 2 underclocked 580s on one board. Wolfenstein ran like shit (40-60fps on not even max settings). It was just an oversight on my part, I already knew iDTech 5 had problems with SLI before I bought it, because I played Rage.

~Kinggi~

Banned
660Ti is a single GPU.

iDTech 5 has serious problems with SLI profiles. Basically just doesn't work at all. I think someone figured out some tricks to get some SLI performance in Rage, but nobody has put that effort into Wolfenstein.

I have a GTX 590, which is 2 underclocked 580s on one board. Wolfenstein ran like shit (40-60fps on not even max settings). It was just an oversight on my part, I already knew iDTech 5 had problems with SLI before I bought it, because I played Rage.

I have a single 770 overclocked and i was getting 40-60 fps at 1080p, but everything was maxed for me. I think there was some wierd lighting setting that might have demolished a smooth 60 for me i didnt realize.

660Ti is a single GPU.

That sucks, I agree. But this and other problems is why I'm not going with SLI systems. I rather invest money in a single, more powerful GPU.

antitrop

That sucks, I agree. But this and other problems is why I'm not going with SLI systems. I rather invest money in a single, more powerful GPU.
Ya, I bought the 590 for The Witcher 2, as it was the most powerful GPU on the market in May of 2011.

Was a huge mistake, will never go dual-GPU again, I was naive. Should have just dropped the extra $100 or whatever it was and went 2x 580, instead.

Dusk Golem

I remember around the time the luke warm previews started an interview with Mikami surfaced that gave the impression that his heart was in making Zwei happen and then Bethesda made him do a AAA game instead. The one cool thing in the OP to me was the whole random placement elements, but then again it could be thought of as Mikami not wanting to fully design the thing. I've had a physical copy pre-ordered and will definitely pick it up but won't open it until a good number of positive reviews and impressions arrive.
For the randomization thing, it's not completely random as I uncovered. There are enemy positions, and either those enemies will be there, or they won't be, so their position isn't random or what the enemy is, but random if they'll be there or not. And some enemies seemed far more likely or far less likely to appear or not, so I don't think every enemy has a 50/50 chance of showing up.

An example is the library room in the demo. In this room, there is an open door leading to a hallway with a corpse beneath. There is a main floor for the library, and a ladder leading to a balcony above. There were six potential enemies that could be in this room, two outside the door by the hall nomming on the corpse, two that could be on the main floor of the library, and two that could be on te above balcony. You could end up with none of them, or all six of them, or any mixture of them depending on your luck of the draw. And each enemy had strategic purpose to be there. You need to go up the balcony toget a key item, but the enemies below we're a lot harder to avoid getting spotted by and alerting the other enemies if you wanted to stealth it. The enemies on the balcony could be a problem as the balcony was narrow with little movement room. The enemies outside could pose a little problem to sneak past, or if alerted could make it more difficult to run past with other enemies on your tail.

The truly random enemy was Ruvik, he could appear literally almost anywhere in the mansion. He reminded me a lot of the titular chaser in the game Ao Oni, and worked just as efficiently in being a stalker who doesn't look scary but can scare the crap out of you out of suddenness of appearance, the creepy ass music that plays when he appears, and the threat he poses.

In the demo area, there were three scripted enemies who would appear, one of them every time, two of them only if you picked up a specific item you didn't need or might want, and the other if you went into a side room you didn't need to go in.

I tweeted to one of the devs yesterday and he basically confirmed they are not done yet, and they are still working on the game. So hope that optimization is coming along.

AmyS

The Evil Within is a game I'm getting excited for and intend to purchase day 1, unlike a certain game coming out very soon that's been hyped beyond belief.

Sophia

The part about headshots makes me wary, seeing as so many games introduce artificial difficulty there instead of making headshots feel like they're genuinely hard.

The rest of it sounds fantastic, especially the part about randomization. I love that aspect, and I wish more horror games embraced it.

antitrop

The part about headshots makes me wary, seeing as so many games introduce artificial difficulty there instead of making headshots feel like they're genuinely hard.

The rest of it sounds fantastic, especially the part about randomization. I love that aspect, and I wish more horror games embraced it.

I haven't played it, but what I'm picturing in my head with regard to the headshots is something between The Last of Us and REmake.

Getting headshots in REmake was completely random if you aimed upwards, but yet still feels fair (and remarkably satisfying when it happens).

I believe in Mikami. He's done it before. He can do it again.

TigerBrown

Preordered two weeks ago at gamestop (PS4) since this the only place where I can get a steelbook in my region.
When I checked yesterday, the gamestop page said that all steelbooks are sold out, so I hope I was fast enough to catch one.

Sophia

I haven't played it, but what I'm picturing in my head with regard to the headshots is something between The Last of Us and REmake.

Getting headshots in REmake was completely random if you aimed upwards, but yet still feels fair (and remarkably satisfying when it happens).

I believe in Mikami. He's done it before. He can do it again.

Hopefully. Too many games (Hello, Resident Evil Revelations!) just make headshots screw with the controls. I want headshots to be hard because the enemies are actually terrifying and the guns have a sense of weight. Not because the aim suddenly becomes as bad as the controls in Superman 64 when I try to shoot.

TigerBrown

Hopefully. Too many games (Hello, Resident Evil Revelations!) just make headshots screw with the controls. I want headshots to be hard because the enemies are actually terrifying and the guns have a sense of weight. Not because the aim suddenly becomes as bad as the controls in Superman 64 when I try to shoot.

nice one xD

Dusk Golem

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

DUSK GOLEM GETTING ME SO HYPED

All that shit in the post above me sounds incredible.
Join me in my waiting hype club. The reason I'm so excited is because I loved what I played and it did things I've been wanting a horror game to do for ages and from what I played have executed them well with attention to detail an obvious thought of how these elements would best work with design. But it'll also help make the game replayable but also appealing first time through.

I tweeted to one of the devs yesterday and he basically confirmed they are not done yet, and they are still working on the game. So hope that optimization is coming along.

Doesn't surprise me. The game has apparently been in a state where it's playable from beginning to end since a few months ago, and it was delayed after this was said assumingly to polish the title, so one would expect one big focus of end development crunch time would be to work on its performance.

It might be artificial difficulty, I need to mess more with it to determine. Gunplay is one thing I need to experiment with more, but I had difficulty from getting headshots on five factors.

01.) Where you need to shoot to get a headshot is precisely square in the forehead I think, anywhere else will just chip at their face, their skull, their jaw, etc. Basicaly shoot them square in the brain.

02.) The enemies aren't dumb though and will dodge your aim if you linger too long or have your gun pulled out and move your aim in their general direction.

03.) The enemies can be aggressive and as their coming at you it can be panic-inducing to try and shoot at them as they charge right at you with a knife, for example.

04.) Their heads naturally bob about some.

05.) Sebastian's early level stats would make his aim shakey, his gun recoil some after a shot, and if you had the reticle turned on, the square on the reticle wasn't just a crosshair but generally pointed out, 'the area you will hit somewhere in' when shooting. I know these things can be upgraded, but I don't think all will like this, but need to toy more with it to form my own verdict.

It didn't feel unfair as you could still very well lock onto an enemy's head and hit it, but like a chance if you hit the gold spot for a headshot or not. I'm sure less of a chance if you upgraded things related to aiming, though.

Sophia

05.) Sebastian's early level stats would make his aim shakey, his gun recoil some after a shot, and if you had the reticle turned on, the square on the reticle wasn't just a crosshair but generally pointed out, 'the area you will hit somewhere in' when shooting. I know these things can be upgraded, but I don't think all will like this, but need to toy more with it to form my own verdict.

It didn't feel unfair as you could still very well lock onto an enemy's head and hit it, but like a chance if you hit the gold spot for a headshot or not. I'm sure less of a chance if you upgraded things related to aiming, though.

The upgrade system sounds intriguing. If the game lets me upgrade those specific stats to play to my advantages as a gamer, instead of forcing me into some pseudo-stealth, then I'll be a very happy camper.

antitrop

Doesn't surprise me. The game has apparently been in a state where it's playable from beginning to end since a few months ago, and it was delayed after this was said assumingly to polish the title, so one would expect one big focus of end development crunch time would be to work on its performance.

I'm so happy the game didn't come out in August. I'm sure they need the polishing time and coming out closer to Halloween just makes more fucking sense from a marketing perspective.

TigerBrown

I am eager to see how frequently Ruvik actually appears. I hope they get the balance right, so I can still enjoy the environments while being slightly tensed all the time.

antitrop

02.) The enemies aren't dumb though and will dodge your aim if you linger too long or have your gun pulled out and move your aim in their general direction.

Resident Evil 4 still does this the best of any game I've ever played. A game from 2005.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get over how far ahead of its time RE4 was.

Xpliskin

By the way, can someone clarify.

Is Tango Gameworks *owned* by Zenimax/Bethesda or is Bethesda/Zenimax only handling the publishing ?

As in Rare and MS(owned) vs Respawn and EA (partner)

Top Bottom