• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EmCeeGramr said:
Someone made a suggestion that would save this game.

Make it like SWAT where there's a higher priority and focus on carefully entering lethal situations and attempting to subdue and capture aliens instead of gunning them down.

That'd be great if Irrational were making the game... since they made the last good SWAT game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Will this be fallout 3 v2 all over again? Everyone bitches about it turning into an FPS style game only to enjoy it once it's out?

This could be interesting.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
A FPS?!

2uo04fk.jpg

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
bhlaab said:
Bethesda and no they didn't

I think a few people would disagree there, personally I'm not as negative as many on here just because it's a 'first person' perspective based game, there seems to be so many negative connotations attached to that, I thought we stopped thinking every 'fps' was a 'Doom Clone' in the nineties?

I'm a little worried that this game might not live up to our expectations but not because of it being a first person game, but because I'm not sure if 2K Games will do a good job of it.

bhlaab

evlcookie said:
Will this be fallout 3 v2 all over again? Everyone bitches about it turning into an FPS style game only to enjoy it once it's out?

Well just like Fallout 3 anybody who disagrees with this new direction for the series is a whinging nerd who needs to stfu!

Tain

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahah what

Today's market couldn't do big budget real deal X-Com. Ya'll knew this.

lowrider007 said:
I think a few people would disagree there, personally I'm not as negative as many on here just because it's a 'first person' perspective based game, there seems to be so many negative connotations attached to that, I thought we stopped thinking every 'fps' was a 'Doom Clone' in the nineties?

You're incorrect in your assumption.

People don't like these sorts of things because:

-The original games weren't FPS titles and relied on mechanics that aren't FPS-like at all
-There's a glut of FPS games on the market as it is, so why do we need another one when we could have an updated version of the series' original gameplay style?

Mindlog

ToxicAdam said:
At least you can still incorporate almost ALL of the elements of X-com gameplay into a FPS setting. In fact, you can even add in more character driven stuff and big set pieces within battles.

No, it's impossible.

Creating a proper X-Com narrative is impossible from the dev end. One of the many reasons I loved X-Com was because the characters were mine. I created their narrative. I hired and fired dozens of recruits searching for suitable red shirts. I went through dozens of red shirts before I found some solid troops worthy of being named. Losing a named trooper was heartbreaking.

When a soldier I've used for months is about to die
and he primes a grenade
and he charges into an alien entertainment center
and he sprays his power armor all over the goddamn place

That's our story.
./pours one out

Clevinger said:
There's a decent chance that Firaxis is doing the strategy version.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6238162.html

I'd eat a KFC Double Down to make it happen.

I feel as though many people will be happy over this although I have no feelings towards it whatsoever.....hopefully its a good game nonetheless

Edit: whoa unexpected rage in this thread

reetva

Banned
Maybe restricting a franchise to one genre isn't very ideal? I like the X-Com universe and I am excited to experience it in a different way. I mean, you're essentially playing as one of the units from the earlier games. That sounds pretty neat, right?

So...what's Xcom? Is this the "significant franchise" being turned into another fps?

I'm buying three FPS this year - Halo Reach, Crysis 2, and Portal 2 - and I think that will be my fill for a long, long, time.

reetva said:
Maybe restricting a franchise to one genre isn't very ideal? I like the X-Com universe and I am excited to experience it in a different way. I mean, you're essentially playing as one of the units from the earlier games. That sounds pretty neat, right?

Great, Halo 5 will be a Facebook Farmville clone. Stop whining nerds, we're moving in a new direction and getting rid of stale old gameplay.

Himajin

I can't imagine how any of what I enjoyed about the original X-Com games could transfer to an FPS. I'm not hopeful.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
evlcookie said:

Fallout 3 was still an RPG in the same vain, but spiced with Elder Scrolls.

This on the other hand is more similar to Shadowrun. Allot of crying over nostalgic memories of a dead franchise(Same as above). But its not even going for the same genre. They are just using the property and universe.

2nd, Not everyone loved Fallout 3. I thought it was pretty meh. While 2 had quite a bit more charm for it when I played it over last summer. It still left a bad taste in many fans mouth. Not to mention the glitches.:lol

How I see this is simply, I see no reason to get mad over them reusing a dead franchise. But, I see disappointment in another "First Person Shooter". The two most overplayed genres I can think of right now are JRPGs and FPS. The question is, Do I really want anymore? I would much prefer something more similar to the original series, but clearly it wasn't deemed financial valuable way.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
reetva said:
Yeah, it would be really cool and original to use the whole "soldiers fighting aliens who are attacking Earth" setting for an FPS.

GitarooMan said:
If Marin is doing this, what has Irrational been doing all this time?
Yeah, I got head-faked by this. I assumed Irrational games (formerly known as 2K Boston which and formerly known as Irrational games) was working on this.

Ken Levine's project then remains a mystery.

reetva

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Great, Halo 5 will be a Facebook Farmville clone. Stop whining nerds, we're moving in a new direction and getting rid of stale old gameplay.
Yes, you definitely got my post. I think that Halo 5 should be Farmville 2. Seriously, though, we're just holding on to nostalgia without really considering how things could be done differently. Games are unique in that the narrative and gameplay are in two separate genre classifications. I really liked X-Com the strategy series. I hope to like X-Com the FPS. There is nothing necessarily wrong with a gameplay genre switch.

golem

Mindlog said:
Creating a proper X-Com narrative is impossible from the dev end. One of the many reasons I loved X-Com was because the characters were mine. I created their narrative. I hired and fired dozens of recruits searching for suitable red shirts.
I think it could work as a Squad FPS, but I don't think its going to happen from the PR (would be a pretty big element that they left out).

To me X-COM is recruiting a bunch of red shirts to go chasing UFOs around the world and getting our asses kicked until we manage to scrounge together enough of their technology to finally get on even footing.

If they can pull that off, great, but I'm doubtful.

Tain

This on the other hand is more similar to Shadowrun. Allot of crying over nostalgic memories of a dead franchise(Same as above). But its not even going for the same genre. They are just using the property and universe.

An X-Com revival by Irrational has been talked about for some time now. While I think it's pretty dumb to hope for a game as complicated as the original to be successful enough for a developer as big as Irrational to develop these days, I can understand why people would be upset about this. No narrative-driven FPS can ever be as good as the original X-Com. This is shitty.

It doesn't help that the X-Com universe is also pretty shitty.

Rad-

Well I think it sounds pretty interesting, not judging it by this PR alone. :lol Waiting to see more about it.

Bioshock 2 was a great game and I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys are doing with this franchise.

Then again I have no nostalgia for the X-Com games. I missed them back then and they're pretty damn archaic and hard to play now. I tried them with the steam sale and it just didn't click for me. I could see the magic, but I couldn't feel it. Had to be there, at least personally.

Hopefully it does have some strategy to it and it's not just a regular shooter. There's a lot they could do.

I wish more people on GAF would allow projects to be innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. You guys need more happy in your lives.

i don't think the FPS thing is a deal breaker. Its ambitious, but possible to pull off the old style gameplay and atmosphere in a FPS setting, still letting you do all the planning and ordering around just from the perspective of a single soldier or commander out in the field. Could actually enhance the creepiness. Lets be real, a lot of the older stuff from the original games, like the "fog of war" or even the turn based gameplay wouldn't realistically translate to a modern, big budget console game. Some concessions would have to be made, just like with any 10-15 year old franchise being re-imagined for current consoles/PCs. But that doesn't mean they still can't create a good Xcom game.

That said if its just a squad based FPS in a similar setting to XCom what a waste of a great IP.

Tain

golem said:
I think it could work as a Squad FPS, but I don't think its going to happen from the PR (would be a pretty big element that they left out).

They used the word "narrative." Any chances of that stuff is out the effin' window.

Brashnir

reetva said:

What exactly is the X-Com Universe that makes it special and sets it apart? It's the very definition of generic. What made X-Com great wasn't the universe or lore -- it was the gameplay.

I agree with your general point and have no problem with franchises breaking off into new genres, but I really don't get it with this one at all.

If they were making a first-person game that still used the general X-Com principles of recruiting soldiers and building a kick-ass team, while the gameplay was in the vein of something like Valkyria Chronicles from a first-person perspective, I'd be on-board, but this... it just makes no sense to me at all.

BJK

Tain said:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahah what

Today's market couldn't do big budget real deal X-Com. Ya'll knew this.

...and yet the Wii version of Fire Emblem is still in the top-5 games in the Wii Stats Reports, with the average user playing for over 50 hours.

Even if Turn-based strategy games won't sell in CoD-esque numbers, the potential to serve a committed audience with DLC means that you have a revenue stream if you do it right.

I've bought X-Com more times than I'd care to admit; just this weekend, I was telling a friend that I'm afraid I'm going to end up buying it again on Steam one of these days. This is a franchise that died because the developer (Microprose) tried to Activision the title into different game types that failed to appeal to its audience. They made a real-time strategy game, a flight combat sim, and had an FPS in development when the studio went under.

Getting away from what made the game successful = higher budgets, but diminishing returns. I didn't buy the non-turn based games....and I'm not likely to this time around either.

Besides, who needs big-budget? A $20-40 PSN/XBLA with passable graphics, turn-based goodness and new research trees, really building off what made the concept work....would turn a profit.

Anyone know who has the
Master of Magic
license? I need a new Microprose game to hang my hopes on.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Tain said:
An X-Com revival by Irrational has been talked about for some time now. While I think it's pretty dumb to hope for a game as complicated as the original to be successful enough for a developer as big as Irrational to develop these days, I can understand why people would be upset about this. No narrative-driven FPS can ever be as good as the original X-Com. This is shitty.

It doesn't help that the X-Com universe is also pretty shitty.
Honestly, there's no reason a real X-Com TBS with good production values, streamlined--not dumbed down, but streamlined--gameplay, better accessibility, and a great developer couldn't be wildly successful. Every "dead" genre is infeasible until someone competent resurrects it; then it becomes the next big thing because it feels fresh to people. It's happened with WRPGs, 2D platformers, even adventure games; it should happen with turn-based strategy, too.

Mindlog

reetva said:
Yes, you definitely got my post. I think that Halo 5 should be Farmville 2. Seriously, though, we're just holding on to nostalgia without really considering how things could be done differently. Games are unique in that the narrative and gameplay are in two separate genre classifications. I really liked X-Com the strategy series. I hope to like X-Com the FPS. There is nothing necessarily wrong with a gameplay genre switch.

It can be quite successful.

Warcraft transitioned well from RTS to MMO.
I didn't have too many problems with Halo Wars.
a couple of other examples

The problem is that those properties had a real narrative. The lore was a strong part of each of those games. X-Com isn't exactly a story driven game. I am far more tied to the gameplay than I am to the lore.

That's just me though. Perhaps some people were really moved by the ending. I'm still going to keep an eye on this game, but I'll be looking at it as a generic FPS. The X-Com name is meaningless in this case.

Brashnir said:
What exactly is the X-Com Universe that makes it special and sets it apart? It's the very definition of generic. What made X-Com great wasn't the universe or lore -- it was the gameplay.

I agree with your general point and have no problem with franchises breaking off into new genres, but I really don't get it with this one at all.

If they were making a first-person game that still used the general X-Com principles of recruiting soldiers and building a kick-ass team, while the gameplay was in the vein of something like Valkyria Chronicles from a first-person perspective, I'd be on-board, but this... it just makes no sense to me at all.

You beat me to the post and posted an excellent idea of what new X-Com could be.

hats off

Tain

Ninja Scooter said:
i don't think the FPS thing is a deal breaker. Its ambitious, but possible to pull off the old style gameplay and atmosphere in a FPS setting, still letting you do all the planning and ordering around just from the perspective of a single soldier or commander out in the field. Could actually enhance the creepiness.

That said if its just a squad based FPS in a similar setting to XCom what a waste of a great IP.

A game requiring "all of the planning" of the original, regardless of perspective, would be impossible for a huge 360 FPS by Irrational.

Chairman Yang said:
Honestly, there's no reason a real X-Com TBS with good production values, streamlined--not dumbed down, but streamlined--gameplay, better accessibility, and a great developer couldn't be wildly successful. Every "dead" genre is infeasible until someone competent resurrects it; then it becomes the next big thing because it feels fresh to people. It's happened with WRPGs, 2D platformers, even adventure games; it should happen with turn-based strategy, too

I guess that I really can't see it. I mean, they're shooting for Bioshock, here. I can see a TBS as a brief XBLA seller or something, but nothing more, and certainly not in the league of this game.

And you can improve the X-Com interface, but you can only go so far before you snip complexity.

Top Bottom