• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

Kind of like the OXM covers. Looks like they're going for a Destroy All Humans! style retro-futurism vibe, which I'm always up for. Maybe this won't be terrible after all (but it probably will be).

[*Note: In the June issue, OXM refers to the development studio behind XCOM as 2K Australia. They are now known as the Canberra, Australia arm of 2K Marin.]
Wat.

I'm not surprised it's action and not turn based. It's not the 1990s anymore, games like the original x-com just don't sell as well as FPS and action games. Even if both genres turn a profit, the execs want the bigger profit, not the smaller one.

14splk6.jpg

lowrider007 said:
But how do you define an 'fps' these days?

that it is played from a first person perspective would be a start.

it's not the shooting or bunny-hopping that ultimately bugs me, it's the constant feeling that i have blinders on, like a horse, and have no peripheral vision. that i am a head on a stick on wheels.

i've been playing fps' since wolf3d and i have a real difficulty with that perspective these days. i want more of a sense of actually having a body in the world, and third-person perspective actually does that better for me.

/slightly ot

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
mjemirzian said:
I'm not surprised it's action and not turn based. It's not the 1990s anymore, games like the original x-com just don't sell as well as FPS and action games. Even if both genres turn a profit, the execs want the bigger profit, not the smaller one.
Modern games like the original X-Com don't sell well nowadays because they don't exist.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Brashnir said:
Like I said, if that's how it works, I'm completely on-board, but the press release doesn't read like that's what they're doing.

Perhaps that's just how they are pitching it initially to help draw in more interest from the mass market, even Peter Molyneux's trying to drop the 'rpg' tag from the Fable franchise these days as I think he knows it lessons the appeal of the game for a lot of gamers.

Swifty said:
Thing is that if this were a squad based X-COM FPS with gameplay elements such as squad based tactics, managing funding from X-COM member nations, unlocking weapons and equipment through research and development, and persistant squad management with leveling up, I doubt many X-COM fans would complain.

Instead, they're making a first person shooter that's narrative driven centered around a FBI agent whose main focus will be on solitary detective work rather than leading and managing a platoon of alien killing commandos.

How exactly did this happen? :lol

if this is true than put me in the disappointed camp. Maybe im crazy but its really possible IMO for a really talented studio to make a reboot that takes the great elements of the old Xcom games and adds some fresh, modern spins to the combat and action, and yes, even do these things with a FPS. If its really some sort of Xfiles meets bioshock meets condemned that will be such a wasted opportunity. I guess the bright side is if the game is popular it could lead to some sort of iPad/DS/XBLA/PSN version that is truer to the series' roots.

Brashnir

lowrider007 said:
Perhaps that's just how they are pitching it initially to help draw in a more interest from the mass market, even Peter Molyneux's trying to drop the 'rpg' tag with the Fable franchise these days as I think he knows it lessons the appeal of the game for a lot of gamers.

If the "perhaps" scenario turns out to be the case, I'll happily re-evaluate at that time, but for now I'm going to react based on the actual information we have.

fanboi

Banned
Okay, everyone that went like this:

"Fuck yes! A XCOM GAME!!!!1"

*reads text*

"FPS?`!"?"!"

"FUCK that shit."

raise a hand...

Also, this is a console game being revealed in OXM. That throws quite a large amount of doubt of it having the same gameplay and feel of the original games, which they're trying to claim with the "true to the roots of the series" quote.

Decado said:
Ditto. I don't mind FPSs, but couldn't they have used another franchise? What's the point of this?

Remember how Fallout 3 sold?

SonOfABeep said:
Would you honestly prefer the franchise continued to be left to sit?

Assuming that this is significantly worse than Fallout 3 -- and I think every indication is that it will be significantly worse than Fallout 3 -- then I think the answer is yes. Yes I would. :lol

Jex

Anyway comparisons with Fallout need to be reconsidered.

True, fallout had key fighting mechanics that were turn based. But it also had explorations, interaction with other characters, quests, story and so forth. When they made Fallout 3 they just changed the combat mechanic (well, the biggest change was there anyway) but it had stuff like quests and story and exploration to fall back on.

X-Com has no story. It has no quests, or characters to have witty dialouge with. It's nearly all mechanics. You build a base, hire dudes, then engage in turn-based squad mechanics. If you alter the mechanics of X-Com it's different from Fallout because in X-Com those mechanics are the whole damn game.

Ninja Scooter said:
I guess the bright side is if the game is popular it could lead to some sort of iPad/DS/XBLA/PSN version that is truer to the series' roots.
I love that, hehe. how come these big publisher console games can't be made with a reasonably small team and budget backed by proper game and mechanics development anymore, it's all full on millions of trillions marketing game design. absolutely worthless

SonOfABeep said:
Reasonable response. I have no idea what x-com is really about anyway. I just hate the knee-jerk reactions on gaf. Here's one more people should try:
reasonable suggestion, read up on the x-com games instead of sitting here talking nonsense and being confused about peoples reactions

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
mjemirzian said:
But why farm out the X-Com name? Fans of the franchise are going to disappointed if it's a shooter instead of a strategy game and everyone else isn't even going to recognize the title.

syllogism

The difference between this and Fallout 3 is that the combat of Fallout games wasn't great and the other, more essential elements could have been preserved. In this case, it appears they are discarding everything that made X-COM games X-COM, starting with the hyphen. Of course, it could still be a decent game.

Quasar

fanboi said:

*reads text*

"FPS?`!"?"!"

"FUCK that shit."

raise a hand...

Whilst true, all through the rumors of a new X-Com it seemed clear it would get turned into a shooter. That's just how the industry works these days. Which is kind of amusing given how the last attempt at a X-Com FPS went.

Agent Ramirez, the place is under attack by aliens. Are you Oscar Mike to save the President from the Russialiens.

"I deal in a world of black and white. No Grays."

Agent Ramirez they are called Sectoids but that was a good one liner *gives you Upgrade Token Medal unlocking laser rifle*

fanboi

Banned
Quasar said:
Whilst true, all through the rumors of a new X-Com it seemed clear it would get turned into a shooter. That's just how the industry works these days. Which is kind of amusing given how the last attempt at a X-Com FPS went.

Yeah... and while the original is considered a classic...

fanboi said:

*reads text*

"FPS?`!"?"!"

"FUCK that shit."

raise a hand...

holla at ya.

fuck that shit indeed. it might be an awesome game but it sure as fuck ain't no xcom.

Zaptruder

Banned
AstroLad said:
Perfect, all we need now are Wasteland and Ultima VII FPS.

I'd love to play Ultima UnderOver World 3 made with today's technology.

But I'm really more interested in seeing a Syndicate FPS. I mean really? The most obvious one and no one cares to do it?

I blame Steve Gaynor. Email idle thumbs and tell the cast how much you hate Steve for ruining X-Com.

We can also probably look forward to Civilization VI being a FPS. As the apologists in this thread tell us, a franchise shouldnt be limited to one genre, and all the core mechanics of a turn based strategy game can be easily replicated in a First Person Shooter, only better.

Cant wait for the interviews, as PR people and producers on the game start shitting from the mouth, telling us how a FPS is the next logical step to a squad turn based tactical game.

Jakeh111

SonOfABeep said:
Would you honestly prefer the franchise continued to be left to sit?

Yes. Rather let it sit then have my gaming past history raped.

Blizzard and Relic have been doing great with RTS games Im sure you could work on a new X-COM game and not have to change the core gameplay elements.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Jakeh111 said:
Yes. Rather let it sit then have my gaming past history raped.

Blizzard and Relic have been doing great with RTS games Im sure you could work on a new X-COM game and not have to change the core gameplay elements.

To be honest, the X-COM-label has been raped, sodomized and forced to clean the dishes. After Terror From The Deep everything went downhill FAST. For me, X-COM will always be Enemy Unknown and TFTD and nothing else.

Jakeh111

neorej said:
To be honest, the X-COM-label has been raped, sodomized and forced to clean the dishes. After Terror From The Deep everything went downhill FAST. For me, X-COM will always be Enemy Unknown and TFTD and nothing else.

Very true, Im sure that what ever 2K cranks out will be better than the latter games in the series but I would still like them to stick to the gameplay of the original.

Cartman86

Banned
If they have some good ideas behind it I'm fine with it. Metroid went FPS and it turned out great. FPS perspective is not an inherently bad idea in my eyes. Doesn't mean it will be good, but i'm not scared or anything.

Brashnir

larvi said:
I guess it's only a matter of time before they make a Civilization FPS too. Sigh.

During the first level you play as some guy in the middle of a phalanx.

Now that's some gripping and immersive shit right there.

raphier

Banned
lowrider007 said:
How can you 'loathe' a game based on it's viewing perspective even when it employs elements that you know you enjoy, be it RPG or strategic for example?, would Chess still not be Chess if you was playing the battle from the Kings perspective?

But how do you define an 'fps' these days?, people seem to use this word as if it donates the absolute mechanics of a game, 10 years ago yes maybe, but now first person games are starting to evolve, you can't always assume that just because a game is labelled an 'fps' that it's going to be devoid of any complex gaming mechanics other than reloading your pistol and shooting someone in the face.
As in you're controlling individual who kills dozens of enemies of different breed. You don't see your face, rather only in cinematics. You rather are. Not that they aren't. -.-

This is not what Xcom is. Whatever complexity the FPS is going to bear, Xcom was always meant to be about them fighting for you against the enemy. It's not about you alone struggling with the help of teammates. This is an individual vs humanity/group difference we're talking here.

Chairman Yang said:
Modern games like the original X-Com don't sell well nowadays because they don't exist.
Exactly. When there's a low AAA pressure on genre it'll fade out. (Think of the Civlization success, why can't Xcom be as good!?)

Saty

FFS FPS.

What's the point of reviving a classic when you are changing it up-side down. Do they think FPS Xcom is going to appeal to the fans of the old game? Console players won't know anything about it - it might as well be a new IP. So make a new IP FPS game and leave Xcom alone, damn it.

Here goes another beloved franchise down the toilet; and the heat on 2K is rising.

fanboi

Banned
Brashnir said:
During the first level you play as some guy in the middle of a phalanx.

Now that's some gripping and immersive shit right there.

But they have to be historical accurate...

Example a caveman should be equal to a french marine in combat, while retreat should be increased for the french.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why? Why even bother?

Its not like X-COM is super popular and bringing it back is sure success on name alone.

And not even by Levine.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
larvi said:
I guess it's only a matter of time before they make a Civilization FPS too. Sigh.

Civ sells a lot in its current form. Dont say dumb things. I wish X-COM had achieved Civ's popularity.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If it had the base building, research and UFO interception of the original and replaced the TBS part with a squad based shooter, I could totally get into that, especially with a strong coop element.

However this FBI agent shit makes this sound like it's gonna be some linear crap.

HK-47 said:
Civ sells a lot in its current form. Dont say dumb things. I wish X-COM had achieved Civ's popularity.

X-Com was huge, it's Microposes fault that they drilled that franchise into the dirt.

Vlodril

Like we dont have enough shooters allready. Lets take one of the best turn based strategy and turn it into another one.. fuck you very much.

Why cant a studio get the licence modernize the game a bit (a base you can walk in and interact with whatever modules you have installed for example like scientists or engineers , medical bay etc.) and release a new take on the genre a la Valkyria Chronicles. Is that alot to ask for?

Yes :(

Aaron

HK-47 said:
It will when Firaxis unleashes the true X-Com successor. Keep the hope alive!

Yeah, Civ outsells all but the really big FPS franchises. Like most Nintendo games, it's evergreen, and just sells until the next game in the series pops.

Also, Sandlot should be making this FPS game. They already have in fact.

fanboi

Banned
Vlodril said:
Like we dont have enough shooters allready. Lets take one of the best turn based strategy and turn it into another one.. fuck you very much.

Why cant a studio get the licence modernize the game a bit (a base you can walk in and interact with whatever modules you have installed for example like scientists or engineers , medical bay etc.) and release a new take on the genre a la Valkyria Chronicles. Is that alot to ask for?

Yes :(

Or why just not make a rerelease of the original, hotted up with some features and gfx?

Top Bottom