• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bought the X-COM pack on Steam, but haven't touched any of the games just yet.

This being in development by 2K Marin does bring up one interesting question: Just what the hell is Levine working on? For the past, what, year or so the most common rumour was X-COM. Obviously, that's not the case.

Pooya

so 2k Australia is making this game not Marin, right? 2k Australia was a part of irrational games and they made the PC port of Bioshock IIRC.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't understand what the point of calling it XCom is. The only people that care about the name have no interest in seeing the series turn into an FPS.

Also, FUCKING GOD STOP MAKING FPS GAMES YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES! THERE ARE ENOUGH! MAKE SOMETHING ELSE! SOMETHING! ANYTHING!

miladesn said:
so 2k Australia is making this game not Marin, right? 2k Australia was a part of irrational games and they made the PC port of Bioshock IIRC.
The official press release says 2K Marin, so I would have to assume that it is correct.

Press Release Source: Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. On Wednesday April 14, 2010, 12:01 am EDT

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K Games announced today that XCOM®, the re-imagining of one of gaming’s most storied and beloved franchises, is currently in development at 2K Marin, the studio behind the multi-million unit selling BioShock® 2. Currently in development exclusively for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC, XCOM combines the strategic core of the groundbreaking franchise with a suspense-filled narrative and distills it into a tense and unique first-person shooter experience.

“With BioShock 2, the team at 2K Marin proved themselves as masters of first-person, suspenseful storytelling, and with XCOM they will re-imagine and expand the rich lore of this revered franchise,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Players will explore the world of XCOM from an immersive new perspective and experience firsthand the fear and tension of this gripping narrative ride.”

XCOM is the re-imagining of the classic tale of humanity’s struggle against an unknown enemy that puts players directly into the shoes of an FBI agent tasked with identifying and eliminating the growing threat. True to the roots of the franchise, players will be placed in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits coupled with heart-stopping combat experiences that pit human ingenuity – and frailty – against a foe beyond comprehension. By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.

XCOM is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information on XCOM please visit www.XCOM.com.

2K Games is a division of 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO - News).

About 2K Marin

With sister studios in Novato, California and Canberra, Australia, 2K Marin is a 2K development studio focused on creating new IP and expanding proven franchises for 2K Games. Having recently completed the award-winning BioShock® 2, 2K Marin is currently developing XCOM®, a suspenseful first-person shooter where players must do battle against an unknown and faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/2K-Games-Announces-XCOM-bw-951244673.html?x=0&.v=1

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Jintor said:
I just want a hand-held turn-based XCom for my DS to play on train rides.

That would be sweet.

There was that GBA game by the original creators, but it had issues (inconsistent and subpar art direction, very very slow).

EDIT: Rebelstar Tactical Command

RebelStar-Tactical-Command.jpg

rebelstar-tactical-command.628470.jpg

I am totally on board for this. Bioshock 2 is the kind of game that proves the people behind it could make a good game out of *anything*. That said, wtf X-Com. The only thing I identify with that name is Sim City knockoffs with flying saucers.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Son of Godzilla said:
I am totally on board for this. Bioshock 2 is the kind of game that proves the people behind it could make a good game out of *anything*. That said, wtf X-Com. The only thing I identify with that name is Sim City knockoffs with flying saucers.

So, you associate it with having a deficient and unreliable memory?

thetrin

Tworak said:
an FPS?

fuck this shit.

Seriously. I didn't wait this long to get a kick in the mouth.

V_Arnold

I am a very sad panda. I do not want everything to be an fps.
What is next? Heroes of Might and Magic fps? King's Bounty TPS reimagination?
Civilization brawler?

Cohsae

Son of Godzilla said:
That said, wtf X-Com. The only thing I identify with that name is Sim City knockoffs with flying saucers.
Did you ever play X-COM?

I guess this could work if they make it have a huge emphasis on tactics and strategy and whatnot, and it played kind of like the old Rainbow 6 or SWAT games, where you really had to plan your actions and be cautious.
But I wouldn't be surprised if it has a cover system and regenerating health.

Walshicus

Chairman Yang said:
Modern games like the original X-Com don't sell well nowadays because they don't exist.
Hmm, that's true. Too many focus group fuckwits running the show.

That said, this could be good.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Aaron said:
It will when Firaxis unleashes the true X-Com successor. Keep the hope alive!
Yea, and it'll be bundled with DNF.

fanboi said:
Or why just not make a rerelease of the original, hotted up with some features and gfx?
Well original has been re-released on various digital services all over the place (and will probably still come to a few sooner or later, like PSN).
But another reason not to do this is also because the original is hopelessly outdated in terms of user interface, presentation, and to some extent, gameplay mechanics (Don't get me wrong, I still love the game, but if they bother spending money on another one, I'd want a proper treatment not a pointless rehash). I'd rather see a touched-up re-release of Incubation 1/2 if we're making wishes here... it's far more conductive to such a treatment IMO.

But there's always hope that Valkyria 'success' spawns more attempts at the genre at least - who knows what will happen from there. I for one would

Xater

thetrin said:
I don't understand what the point of calling it XCom is. The only people that care about the name have no interest in seeing the series turn into an FPS.

Also, FUCKING GOD STOP MAKING FPS GAMES YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES! THERE ARE ENOUGH! MAKE SOMETHING ELSE! SOMETHING! ANYTHING!

Seriously, all those 13 year olds today probably don't even know what the fuck X-Com is/was.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So its BioShock 2, not BioShock?

Destined for suck if it wasn't already.

Hammer24

Banned
On one hand, fps sounds revolting. On the other hand, 2K hasn´t disappointed me this generation yet. So I´m cautiously optimistic.

Acosta

FPS!? FPS!?

WHAT IS YOUR FUCKING PROBLEM?

God, I want to bang my head with a wall or kill someone, not sure. This was one of my most expected announcements and they have fucked it from the very beginninig.

"Exciting new perspective" WE DON'T NEED A FUCKING NEW PERSPECTIVE, OTHERS ALREADY TRIED AND IT DOESN'T WORK.

Bah..., I don't know why I give a shit anymore.

DiscoJer

One good thing about this, is maybe they will decide to put the original game (PS1 version) up on PSN. (Okay, probably not...but X-com on the PSP would be great)

bioshock 2 is an amazing game and if XCOM FPS turns out to be even 1/5th as good as it then it will be great. can't wait to get more info!

SapientWolf said:
But why farm out the X-Com name? Fans of the franchise are going to disappointed if it's a shooter instead of a strategy game and everyone else isn't even going to recognize the title.

A creatively bankrupt developer? Using an existing universe answers questions for you. Whenever a new enemy or weapon is required they can dust off the X-COM mega-guide and pick a random page. Something in the plot seems a bit tenuous? Find some obscure technology from a previous game to Deus Ex your Machina up.

And the best bit is, it's all legit! They don't need to worry about being accused of ripping off more talented people because that was the job description from day one. On the shoulders of giants.

EDIT:

EatChildren said:
So its BioShock 2, not BioShock?

Destined for suck if it wasn't already.

2gvue5f.jpg

Ceebs

Ugh...I knew I would not like what was in this thread and right I was. Can we get some games that are not first person shooters for a change?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
WickedLaharl said:
bioshock 2 is an amazing game and if XCOM FPS turns out to be even 1/5th as good as it then it will be great. can't wait to get more info!
Look, I love FPS, but we already have TOO FUCKING MANY OF THEM.

Taking one of the most revered strategy games in history and turning in into a FPS is akin to making a Mario dating game. The sole idea should give you brain AIDS.

Fuck.

Well, it's a shooter, but I'm excited.

I love XCOM, and I love x-files, conspiracies, aliens and shooters.

So, if it ends up beeing like Bioshock but in a human-alien realistic conflict, I'm in.

Like, totally.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wait

XCOM is the re-imagining of the classic tale of humanity’s struggle against an unknown enemy that puts players directly into the shoes of an FBI agent tasked with identifying and eliminating the growing threat. True to the roots of the franchise, players will be placed in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits coupled with heart-stopping combat experiences that pit human ingenuity – and frailty – against a foe beyond comprehension. By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.
FBI agent? I guess that confirms zero base building of any kind.

Motherfuckers.

meh i have no emotional attachment to the old aeries. all i'm looking for is a good game and i'm hoping that whatever BS2 team is working on XCOM will manage to hit another one out of the park :D

Jakeh111

Son of Godzilla said:
Out of "anything", you mean out of another FPS. I would think thats alot more easy than taking a TBS and turning it into a FPS. Take FO3 for example, I think alot of the skills and perks from FO1&2 did not really work well in the first person setting of FO3.

Shiggy

Tempy said:
There was that GBA game by the original creators, but it had issues (inconsistent and subpar art direction, very very slow).

EDIT: Rebelstar Tactical Command

RebelStar-Tactical-Command.jpg

rebelstar-tactical-command.628470.jpg

Wasn't that meant to get a successor made by Kuju?

Sectus

I've been waiting for an X-Com game for ages... but... now I'm just confused. I was so certain Irrational Games were making an X-Com game. If they aren't, what are they up to? They haven't announced anything new since they released Bioshock 1 in 2007.

And first person shooter? That's okay if it happens to play like SWAT 4 with an additional Geoscape element. If it's like any other shooter or more like Bioshock... that will be very disappointing.

And FBI agent? Why the heck call it XCOM when you're controlling an FBI agent?

Chairman Yang said:
Modern games like the original X-Com don't sell well nowadays because they don't exist.

There may not be games that exactly duplicate the x-com formula, but it is true that srpgs and turn based tactics games tend to sell less than action games (unless it has Final Fantasy in the title). As for why they'd resurrect the license? It's less risky than a new IP, nostalgia factor, established lore to dig into, etc.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sectus said:
I've been waiting for an X-Com game for ages... but... now I'm just confused. I was so certain Irrational Games were making an X-Com game. If they aren't, what are they up to? They haven't announced anything new since they released Bioshock 1 in 2007.

And first person shooter? That's okay if it happens to play like SWAT 4 with an additional Geoscape element. If it's like any other shooter or more like Bioshock... that will be very disappointing.

And FBI agent? Why the heck call it XCOM when you're controlling an FBI agent?
Going by the aesthetics, it looks like it's set in the 50-60's, well before the establishment of the original Command.

Sectus

Funky Papa said:
Going by the aesthetics, it looks like it's set in the 50-60's, well before the establishment of the original Command.
Oh eep, good point.

Oh double shit. That gives them a very convenient excuse to have no X-Com, and to have no strategy or tactical element.

*SCREAMS*

Psy-Phi

*mghmghmghmghmghmghmghmghmghmghmghmghmghmghmgh* (that's a grumble).

Have the not looked at the X-Com series success and failures in the past? Success: Squad Based, Turn-Based, Large Scale Tacitcal Games from an Isometric perspective in missions, with base micromanagement.

Failures: everything else. Interceptor, that stupid 3rd person action game.

The third x-com (apocalypse) was decent but falls somewhere between the two due to it's change to a smaller scale, and attempt at real-time (which could be switched to turn based -- that was actually kind of nice, easy missions you could change it and just pwn the aliens, hard ones, turn-based was better). But the drastic change to just a single city to protect, and everything but missions being simplified in the same manner...

This project needs to be struck down, with the quickness.

FBI..was the FBI EVER involved in any of the X-Com games? Maybe some of your recruits came from the FBI? I can't recall the lore that well. But I don't think so.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit, awesome. After Bioshock 2, I can't wait to see what 2K Marin can do with this. B2 was a fantastic game, better than the first in some respects.

also very interesting. I wonder what Irrational are doing if they haven't been doing this all along.

Top Bottom