• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Tempy said:
There was that GBA game by the original creators, but it had issues (inconsistent and subpar art direction, very very slow).
Rebelstar was more a poor-man's LaserSquad remake then XCom. If it wasn't plagued by issues it wouldn't be too bad, but even perfectly polished, it would still just be LaserSquad in Isometric 3d.

The best you can do for handheld XCom fix is mod a PSP and rip a copy of PS1 versions of XCom and TFTD. Second best is get Valkyria Chronicles 2. :)

I lost my hopes of a new good Xcom game a LONG time ago, so this news doesn't really bother me...

But yeah... everything needs to be a freaking fps nowadays...

StuBurns said:
I'm surprised at all the FPS comments, wasn't this fairly well known for more than a year? I'd heard it was what Irrational were working on though, which makes me even more curious about what they are doing.
I hear they're going into facebook games

Mango Positive said:
As someone who played the original when it was new, I'm glad this one is going to be a FPS

snoopeasystreet said:
I have faith that they'll at the very least make a good FPS and while I really enjoyed x-com back in the day, I dunno if I'd have the time to play it nowadays.

I honestly cannot even begin to comprehend this mindset. It seems to equate all videogames to an identical mindless time sink, only one of them lasts longer, so is not as desirable - there's more time needed before you move on to the next literal waste of time, so it's "bad". There's no consideration that these genres are different or enjoyable on different levels, or that by changing genre you end up with a totally different game. A game goes from being a strategy game to an FPS and it's more betterer because it will be over quicker and the boredom won't last as long.

The only way this makes sense is if you view games as catalogues of empty content, or perhaps something mildly diverting to do before you get rewarded with a new cutscene of moronic nonsense (I can't enjoy videogames without a good story!), and FPS games generally take less time and effort to deliver those and thus see all the content.

Why do modern gamers seem to openly despise videogames so much?

Zaptruder

Banned
Brashnir said:
Seriously. You play a guy who pilots a mech, and the mech drives a Kart. I mean - what could possibly go wrong with that?
and it's played with the Steel Battalion controller

For best effect, you control the hands and fingers of the pilot who controls the mech that steers the kart.

Arucardo

Odrion said:
So is Hot Scoops working on it? :D
:lol That's the first thought that popped in to my head after reading 2K Marin and Bioshock 2. I'm not gonna jump on the hate wagon just yet, I've played all the previous games and I'll keep an eye on this one, they did a good job with Bioshock 2.

Also, did anyone play the UFO games? they were pretty similar to X-Com but not that good, still worth checking out if you can find them somewhere.

SonOfABeep said:
It's so hard to take all this whining and crying seriously. It's just like the Fallout fans.

Why are they crying when before, they had NOTHING for their series. Now they have something they know almost nothing about and they toss it back.

Would you honestly prefer the franchise continued to be left to sit? I loved fallout 1 and 2 and was a little confused about the first person part of F3 and bethesda but I waited it out and I loved that game. Not as much as the old ones, but nostalgia has a way of doing that to anything.

Also, realize that all the complainers are actually asking for - more of the same. I hope they can pull it off and make a new generation see some of why you guys love that old game.

Because if they just re-made that old game, it'd only be for you. And you already get it. And nobody wants that game re-made. Just go play it instead. Because it'd probably not be as good anyway.

Totally agreed. Gamers always find something to complain about.

I don't know if this has been said, but hasn't this been rumored since before 2K Marine was formed? Could this be what 2K Australia was working on? My theory is that 2K Australia dumped it to 2K Marine after the disappointing Bioshock 2 sales. 2K Australia could be helping out with whatever Levine is working on at Irrational (2K Boston). Just a theory, but this has been rumored for so long that surely 2K Marine couldn't have been working on it for all these years. Maybe this really was Levine's next project only for it to be abandoned for something totally new.

Zaptruder said:
For best effect, you control the hands and fingers of the pilot who controls the mech that steers the kart.
by remote controlling a set of robot hands using the steel battalion controller

Strummerjones said:
I honestly cannot even begin to comprehend this mindset. It seems to equate all videogames to an identical mindless time sink, only one of them lasts longer, so is not as desirable - there's more time needed before you move on to the next literal waste of time, so it's "bad". There's no consideration that these genres are different or enjoyable on different levels, or that by changing genre you end up with a totally different game. A game goes from being a strategy game to an FPS and it's more betterer because it will be over quicker and the boredom won't last as long.

The only way this makes sense is if you view games as catalogues of empty content, or perhaps something mildly diverting to do before you get rewarded with a new cutscene of moronic nonsense (I can't enjoy videogames without a good story!), and FPS games generally take less time and effort to deliver those and thus see all the content.

Why do modern gamers seem to openly despise videogames so much?
nice post. except for the mindless time sink part, that's all too true. painfully painfully true

Koopakiller said:
Totally agreed. Gamers always find something to complain about.
those silly gamers had to dig really deep this time

jjasper

Pretty disappointing that it is a FPS, but I guess I will try and keep an open mind and see the amount of strategy in it before I write it off.

tiff

Banned
i think it's possible to make a good X-Com FPS. i just don't think this will be it.

at the very least, this should have been a spin-off, not the series's triumphant return.

Jintor

I'd just like to point out that the only facts anybody knows right now are:

It's XCom
It's an FPS
It's by 2K Marin.

And already it's the greatest gaming disappointment of this year.

Rad- said:
So yes, this is the game OXM hinted at:

CoverSubsFINAL--article_image.jpg

qoajh4.jpg

*phew. jokes outta the way in both threads*

Sloane

Banned
Legendary Warrior said:
i think it's possible to make a good X-Com FPS. i just don't think this will be it.
I just don't get why they would use the X-Com name at all. I mean, it's not like the original two games had great characters, or an interesting story, or, you know, at least an extraordinary setting. Those games were great because of their strategic turn-based gameplay alone -- and if that's gone, what exactly is left?

SonOfABeep said:
Would you honestly prefer the franchise continued to be left to sit?
Yes? The game itself might be good, who knows, but again: Why call it X-Com at all? Those who know the original two games are pissed. And those who don't, don't give a shit.

Jintor

Well you could turn that kind of thinking around

Despite the trip into FPS territory, is there still room for the kind of features that made XCom great? Squads, tactics, weird alien things...?

Maybe, maybe not.

Jay Sosa

FPS? Fuck that shit.

Only way that this could be o.k. is if they keep it a hundred percent like the original and only make the infiltrating and site missions FPS. It still would suck in comparison to the original but not as much.

Sloane said:
I just don't get why they would use the X-Com name at all. I mean, it's not like the original two games had great characters, or an interesting story, or, you know, at least an extraordinary setting. Those games were great because of their strategic turn-based gameplay alone -- and if that's gone, what exactly is left?

Dude, Devil May Cry 2 sold superbly well under the name "Devil May Cry 2"...

Joseph Merrick said:
those silly gamers had to dig really deep this time

I'm just tired of the same shit every time. The same shit happened in the Fallout 3 thread, the Banjo: Nuts and Bolts thread and those games were awesome. Every time the developers want to do something different, the fans always complain even when there's no reason to believe that the end product won't be awesome.

This was likely worked on by people who worked on System Shock 2, Bioshock, SWAT 4. It might not be a traditional XCOM game but it won't be "just another generic FPS game". If anything, it's at least a good thing that 2K Marin are working on this instead of Bioshock 3.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It will be a squad-based FPS with upgradeable equipment, weapons, etc. What is so bad about it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Koopakiller said:
This was likely worked on by people who worked on System Shock 2, Bioshock, SWAT 4. It might not be a traditional XCOM game but it won't be "just another generic FPS game". If anything, it's at least a good thing that 2K Marin are working on this instead of Bioshock 3.

2K Marin aren't Irrational Games/2K Boston.

subversus said:
It will be a squad-based FPS with upgradeable equipment, weapons, etc. What is so bad about it?

Reading the thread would see your question answered.

JaseC said:
2K Marin aren't Irrational Games/2K Boston.

Only if you believe 2K Marin is the only one behind this. I know 2K Marin's logo is the only one up on the website, but 2-3 years ago, this was rumoured to be Levine's next game after Bioshock.

If this is 2K Marin's project than they must have been working on this at the same time they started Bioshock 2 in order for them to be far along enough to announce this thing. But that contradicts the PR because if it was in development at the same time as BS2, 2K Marin would have to have 2 teams, which means that this isn't from the developers of BS2 but a totally different team that didn't work on BS1 or BS2.

My theory: 2K Marin is receiving Irrationals sloppy seconds

Sectus

Koopakiller said:
I'm just tired of the same shit every time. The same shit happened in the Fallout 3 thread, the Banjo: Nuts and Bolts thread and those games were awesome. Every time the developers want to do something different, the fans always complain even when there's no reason to believe that the end product won't be awesome.

In all the above cases, they still remained core elements. Fallout 3 had different perspective and combat mechanics, but it still had the universe and all the RPG stuff. Banjo still has the humour, universe, characters and still kept some platforming.

X-Com keeps... er... nothing? It's set around the 60's, it's an FPS and you control an FBI agent. The only single similarity to X-Com so far is that's there's aliens.

Maybe they'll surprise us and reveal they'll be keeping some important elements from the X-Com series, but based on what we know so far it has nothing in common with the old games.

CiSTM

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

FPS?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

There is not enough lol-smileys in this world for this news. I don't understand why they have to slap Xcom name for this game. At least they have quality devs working on it but still....:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Jintor

You have no idea if it keeps nothing or not, because we don't have any solid information about the game yet besides 2KMarin/Xcom/FPS

Owensboro

raphier said:
As in you're controlling individual who kills dozens of enemies of different breed. You don't see your face, rather only in cinematics. You rather are. Not that they aren't. -.-

This is not what Xcom is. Whatever complexity the FPS is going to bear, Xcom was always meant to be about them fighting for you against the enemy. It's not about you alone struggling with the help of teammates. This is an individual vs humanity/group difference we're talking here.

Ridli said:
Hot dog! We have a wiener!

Identity is the big problem of why X-Com is very different than other games, and why people that see FPS start to nerd rage. Trying to make Fallout or Metroid comparisons is just invalid. In Fallout, *you* were the vault dweller (or chosen one). In Metroid, *you* were Samus. Yes, there were other characters that might have been involved, or even fought along with you, but the player's identity was well established. Changing perspectives was a big risk in both of those franchises, but they were always first person "story," regardless of how the actual gameplay was presented.

In X-Com, the player had no real on-screen identity. In theory, you were in command of the X-Com program, and you certainly issued orders for your troops in battle, but you were never identified as an actual person in game. *You* never stormed into that random South American farmhouse, your employees did. Nameless and silent, you guided an entire multi-national enterprise. Hell, if you wanted, you could imagine yourself as some kind of ambiguous "SEELE-esque" council of benefactors, guiding humanity from the shadows.

The very nature of first person will remove that ambiguity, forcing the player to adopt a specific identity. Even if they make you a silent everyman ala Gordon Freeman, the player's identity is set, and major change in tone will have been made.

It's not that I want the game to fail. In fact, X-Com is a universe rich in details that would make for an excellent squad based shooter (8 man co-op! with heavy plasma! and remote controlled tanks!), it could be a blast.

But being told I'm demoted to Mulder wannabe? :(

This needs to be quoted again for the new page. Anyone who doesn't understand, just read these two posts. This is not Fallout -> Fallout 3. This is not Metroid -> Metroid prime.

shagg_187 said:
Dude, Devil May Cry 2 sold superbly well under the name "Devil May Cry 2"...
And then caused plenty of people to skip Devil May Cry 3 because it was called "Devil May Cry 3"...

Bah, thread title got me excited only to find out it it was an fps. It could still be a good game I suppose, but being an fps limits the possibilities.

I mean ok, I guess doing the game in the old isometric turn based style may have been a hard sell nowadays (sadly) but just imagine the old geoscape formula with a third person battle system similar to Valkyria Chronicles. Would have been drooling at the prospect of something like that.

Special Agent John Marcus readied his plasma rifle. The Big Alien as killing all of their dudes, and it was sad. The lovable gang of NPCs who had shown up during cutscenes were dying.

"WELCOME TO EARTH" shouted Marcus, as he pressed X for the finishing QTE.

Achievement Unlocked
X Marks The Spot - 20G

"This gripping 6-hour narrative will blow you away."
-IGN.com

Swifty

subversus said:
Did you even read the press release? You're not even part of the X-COM organization. You're an FBI agent finding clues about The Truth That's Out There. There is no planning. There is no strategy. There is no tactical assessment. There's just a mystery and you're supposed to investigate it through a static narrative, first person Bioshock-style. It even takes place in the same time period as Bioshock for chrissake. :lol

Jintor

Swifty said:
Did you even read the press release? You're not even part of the X-COM organization. You're an FBI agent finding clues about The Truth That's Out There. There is no planning. There is no strategy. There is no tactical assessment. There's just a mystery and you're supposed to investigate it through a static narrative, first person Bioshock-style. It even takes place in the same time period as Bioshock for chrissake. :lol

For the sake of an awesome game, I hope to see you eat those words. : D

V_Ben

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Special Agent John Marcus readied his plasma rifle. The Big Alien as killing all of their dudes, and it was sad. The lovable gang of NPCs who had shown up during cutscenes were dying.

"WELCOME TO EARTH" shouted Marcus, as he pressed X for the finishing QTE.

"This gripping 6-hour narrative will blow you away."
-IGN.com

:lol

... :-(

Wow. Old-school PC crowd, you have my sympathies :lol

Bioshock 2 sounded pretty good though (IDK, I haven't actually played it) so hopefully we'll still get a decent shooter out of this.

Jay Sosa

Jintor said:

What is so hard to understand that even if this is the most awesome FPS ever X-Com fans will be pissed?

We have about 371 excellent FPS this gen no need to turn on of the most beloved strategy titles in yet another shooter.

butts

I was excited when I saw the thread title but then... 2K Marin? FPS?? It might turn out good but it will have a Fallout 3-level of fan hate to get over I think.

obonicus

Even beyond the 'there's no narrative in the franchise' problem, since when was XCom about FBI vs. Cthulhu? I'm all for a Delta Green game, but I always felt XCom's aliens were more the horrible little Mars Attacks sort.

BJK

I can't wait to hear about how they bring the series back to its roots...

...with a cover system, and multiplayer.

[/sarcasm]

Jintor

Jay Sosa said:
What is so hard to understand that even if this is the most awesome FPS ever X-Com fans will be pissed?

We have about 371 excellent FPS this gen no need to turn on of the most beloved strategy titles in yet another shooter.

Oh, I understand it fully. It's just, like... what, you would rather have a crap FPS than a good FPS? Whatever the levels of fan outrage, you can't change the fact that 2K are probably a good way into production of an FPS Xcom, and are inevitably going to release and sell it. The best you can hope for is that it's a good game.

/edit I tell a lie, the best you can hope for is that they were lying to you and it's a TBS

Sectus

Jintor said:
Oh, I understand it fully. It's just, like... what, you would rather have a crap FPS than a good FPS? Whatever the levels of fan outrage, you can't change the fact that 2K are probably a good way into production of an FPS Xcom, and are inevitably going to release and sell it. The best you can hope for is that it's a good game.

/edit I tell a lie, the best you can hope for is that they were lying to you and it's a TBS
I think it's more that people want an actual X-Com game. No one is hoping for the game to be bad.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
methane47 said:
OHWHHWHAHSHAHSDAHSASHDASLASDASD ASD SDASDASDAS

Edit: A LITTERAL TEAR JUST CAME TO MY EYE !!!
EDIT: NO PS3 FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU.Jpg!!
EDDIT: WTF A FPS?!!
This was basically my reaction.

edit: Game will probably be awesome though. Fuck you haters.

Acosta

Jintor said:

Given you have some difficulty to understand words, let me illustrate it with pretty images.

X-Com:

55nm04.jpg

Not X-Com:

34sqdjl.jpg

So it doesn't matter how awesome Not X-Com is, it´s still not X-Com.

Not a hard concept to get, isn't?

Top Bottom