• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

Canova

Banned
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS
ENOUGH FPS

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Koopakiller said:
Only if you believe 2K Marin is the only one behind this. I know 2K Marin's logo is the only one up on the website, but 2-3 years ago, this was rumoured to be Levine's next game after Bioshock.

If this is 2K Marin's project than they must have been working on this at the same time they started Bioshock 2 in order for them to be far along enough to announce this thing. But that contradicts the PR because if it was in development at the same time as BS2, 2K Marin would have to have 2 teams, which means that this isn't from the developers of BS2 but a totally different team that didn't work on BS1 or BS2.

My theory: 2K Marin is receiving Irrationals sloppy seconds

An interesting theory and one that does make sense. However, don't forget BioShock 2 had a lot of outside help, particularly from 2K Australia and Digital Extremes (who themselves handled the entire MP mode). Depending on how far along X-COM actually is, it's entirely possible that having BS2 split between 2K Marin, 2K Aus. and Digital Extremes left enough of the team at 2K Marin free to work on the game.

Hmmm...let's see:

- Established PC RPG franchise
- Change to FPS
- New developer in charge who has proven they can make an enjoyable game (imo)
- I'm a console gamer with little to no history with the PC franchise

Yup, last time that happened, it was Fallout 3 and my Game of the Year. So I'm looking forward to it!

Sorry PC GAF :(

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Skiptastic said:
Hmmm...let's see:

- Change to FPS

Yup, last time that happened, it was Fallout 3 and my Game of the Year. So I'm looking forward to it!

I'm a PC gamer that loved Fallout 1 and 2, and Fallout 3 was my game of the year too. :D

But I never really played the XCOM games. Or Bioshock 2. But this sounds cool regardless.

Sectus

Skiptastic said:
Hmmm...let's see:

- Change to FPS

*punch*

You didn't even get the genre right :mad:

mujun said:
I hope the game turns out awesome just so the negative nellys in this thread have to eat major crow :lol
How many months of Dragon Age bashing did we have to endure only for the game to come out and actually wind up being... pretty decent?

Saty

2K probably know they are reaching here. Revival of a franchise as something completely else. The risk is bigger, dropping the most consuming platform to develope for and releasing it later if it does find audience.

Or MS could have paid for a timed-exclusive, which i'll find surprising.

epmode

Sectus said:
*punch*

You didn't even get the genre right :mad:
Well, it's a strategy RPG so he's half-right.

As for the FPS news, if I can't punch holes in building walls with grenades and/or blaster launchers then have the aliens inside collapse from smoke inhalation, I'm going to be really pissed off.

This is depressing. I hope that Firaxis rumor is true.

Nimyh

Banned
Acosta said:
X-Com:

55nm04.jpg

X-Com: Terror from the Deep HD remake

34sqdjl.jpg

fixed

X-COM FPS... from the "Masters of first-person" who made Bioshock 2... "gripping narrative ride"... coming exclusively to Xbox 360
and PC
... :lol

mujun said:
I hope the game turns out awesome just so the negative nellys in this thread have to eat major crow :lol
It will probably be good but people will always just say "it's not XCOM" if they want to hate on it. The thought of seeing a XCOM turn-based/RTS type game with this kind of budget at this time is laughable though.

Malio

First person shooter OH HELL YES!! IT'S BEEN SO LONG WITHOUT ONE OF THOSE!

W T F. Microprose rolling over in it's grave. What a joke.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
How many months of Dragon Age bashing did we have to endure only for the game to come out and actually wind up being... pretty decent?
dragon age bashing which was directed at the horrible marketing for it. guess what, that marketing is still horrible if you go back and look at it today, even if the game turned out.. not that good, pretty boring.

Nimyh

Banned
Xater said:
That really makes me sad. :(
Imagine it was real, with these graphics in a Battlescape handled like Valkyria Chronicles and traditionl Geoscape gameplay. You know you want it.

mclem

mujun said:
Maybe it will be like Archon where you take turns doing stuff ala the original X-COM then actually resolve actions in a FPS style game. I'd like to see someone try that. How effective you are on a strategic level affects your resources at the action level and each time you jump into the action level you can control any of the participating units from first person.

You just pretty much described Valkyria Chronicles.

And now I've gone and disappointed myself, because *that's* what a new X-Com should be like.

epmode

GitarooMan said:
It will probably be good but people will always just say "it's not XCOM" if they want to hate on it. The thought of seeing a XCOM turn-based/RTS type game with this kind of budget at this time is laughable though.
I don't think that a Civ 5 budget is out of the question.

Xater

Nimyh said:
Imagine it was real, with these graphics and traditional Geoscape gameplay with the Battlescape being handled like Valkyria Chronicles. You know you want it.

Of course that would be something I could get into, but what we will get is an FPS with UFOs and aliens. That's it.

All the things I don't expect this game to have: A world view with UFO defence gameplay, technology development, inventory for multiple characters, free mission selection, time management, RPG elements. Well maybe they will some RPGish stuff in there but I doubt it will get any more involved than Bioshock.

The thing is, I really don't give a fuck about the X-Com narrative. I want the deep tectical gameplay of that series and we will get nothing of that.

mclem

Jintor said:
I just want a hand-held turn-based XCom for my DS to play on train rides.

That would be sweet.

Rebelstar: Tactical Command on the GBA. If you're not using a DSi, you're sorted.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Koopakiller said:
Only if you believe 2K Marin is the only one behind this. I know 2K Marin's logo is the only one up on the website, but 2-3 years ago, this was rumoured to be Levine's next game after Bioshock.

If this is 2K Marin's project than they must have been working on this at the same time they started Bioshock 2 in order for them to be far along enough to announce this thing. But that contradicts the PR because if it was in development at the same time as BS2, 2K Marin would have to have 2 teams, which means that this isn't from the developers of BS2 but a totally different team that didn't work on BS1 or BS2.

My theory: 2K Marin is receiving Irrationals sloppy seconds
Levine never had anything to do with this. It's always been a 2K Canberra project, but now 2K Marin is providing assistance for whatever reason (and Canberra is under that umbrella, not Irrational as they once were).

JaseC said:
2K Marin aren't Irrational Games/2K Boston.
It's the former Irrational Games Australia, who did work on some of those games.

Jintor

Acosta said:
Given you have some difficulty to understand words, let me illustrate it with pretty images.

Not a hard concept to get, isn't?

I think the bit where I said "I understand what you think" is the bit you're not getting.

Is it a goddamn crime to want a good FPS now? No matter how much GAF whines and moans, 2K's not going to make the TBS XCom for you. Not now, anyway. So you can hope for a shitty FPS, or a cool FPS. Which would you prefer?

/edit I guess your beef is that they're using the licence for a genre of game that you don't think that licence is appropriate for? 's fair enough. But you can take your snide superiority, and shove it.

Nimyh

Banned
Xater said:
Of course that would be something I could get into, but what we will get is an FPS with UFOs and aliens. That's it.
I want the deep tactical gameplay of that series and we will get nothing of that.
I'm not counting on this game to deliver anything of the sort, just dreaming here. that Bioshock 2 shot has that TFTD kind of atmosphere. or at least so I thought at the time of writing, I must have been tired or something. :lol

JaseC said:
An interesting theory and one that does make sense. However, don't forget BioShock 2 had a lot of outside help, particularly from 2K Australia and Digital Extremes (who themselves handled the entire MP mode). Depending on how far along X-COM actually is, it's entirely possible that having BS2 split between 2K Marin, 2K Aus. and Digital Extremes left enough of the team at 2K Marin free to work on the game.
and arkane

mclem

What depresses me about this is the fact that someone, somewhere, made a decision. They saw that so many people were clamouring for a new X-Com, and they made the decision to make this.

That someone, somewhere, they just don't understand games or gamers. This being its own thing, entirely divorced from the X-Com name, that would be fine.

They did not realise that the people clamouring were asking for a new game that *plays* like X-Com, they thought they just wanted a new game *under the name of* X-Com.

They thought the world was more important than the gameplay. And they're making significant decisions in the game industry.

(NB: I'm probably being unfairly overnegative; FPS can mean an awful lot, as people have said, and the most perfect interpretation possible would be something akin to Valkyria Chronicles, so I'll wait and see. But if, after all this, this *is* Just Another FPS, the above sentences count tenfold)

shuri

Banned
XCOM was awesome until you realised you could jihad and break the entire game by using non-stop grenades.

edit: and then an alien would decide to play hide and seek with you around the map for 2 hours

edit2: you guys have to realise that turn based games are D.O.A with today's gamers.

edit3: It would be interesting to have a squad-based tactical fps game for this. Kinda like the first rainbow six game where you would plan out attacks and you could easily get killed if you were not careful. A 'realistic take' would be awesome. You could have soldiers, medics, and scientists, each mission would be about securing an area within a second amount of time, and you would have to retrieve corpses and whats not.

Haunted

I just hope this is not another Shadowruin type of deal in the making.

shuri said:
edit2: you guys have to realise that turn based games are D.O.A with today's gamers.
They're still #1 in our hearts. :(

Tripwood

I sure hope it will have regenerative health.
This is a great chance to bring the old XCom games to a whole new set of standards.

Original two XCOM games were boring and frustrating. Why anyone would want a fourth xcom game that is exactly the same gameplay as the first three is beyond me. I get nostalgia (XCOM was one of my first games that I remember playing) but seriously.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tripwood said:
I sure hope it will have regenerative health.
This is a great chance to bring the old XCom games to a whole new set of standards.
i was just thinking how that was the one thing xcom was always missing.

Interfectum

Affeinvasion said:
Original two XCOM games were boring and frustrating. Why anyone would want a fourth xcom game that is exactly the same gameplay as the first three is beyond me. I get nostalgia (XCOM was one of my first games that I remember playing) but seriously.

So if I don't want it turned into another generic first person shooter, I want the exact same gameplay?

There are other ways to play a game than from first person with a gun.

Shred0r

Banned
I was really hoping for an awesome XCOM_TerrorFromTheDeep remake, you know a real tactical game with all the bells and whistles of the original game (research, base building, recruting). But no, another shooter gracing the gaming universe. But i have faith in 2K Marine as these guys are mainly responsible for the impressive Bioshock game. At least chances are high this game will turn out to be an atmospheric shooter.

Some time ago i played XCOM [the multiplayer mod] and it was a blast. Intense as hell, always fearing the enemy could be right behind the next corner and i have run out of APs ;D

mclem said:
What depresses me about this is the fact that someone, somewhere, made a decision. They saw that so many people were clamouring for a new X-Com, and they made the decision to make this.
You're grossly overestimating the number of people clamoring for a new X-Com in the vein of the originals, particularly given how well Microprose themselves burned the series on its way out with Interceptor and the degree of shift Apocalypse brought (hell, I could argue that the only good X-Com game was the original since TFTD had such a retarded difficulty spike). Since then we've had a good handful of various devs (each who seemed to claim to have some X-Com people somehow) attempt to re-do X-Com, at best producing something mediocre.

Interfectum said:
There are other ways to play a game than from first person with a gun.

Third person with a gun? XCOM is ultimately about shooting aliens. All the base building stuff and research is so you can better shoot aliens. It's not all that crazy of a move going to a FPS.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Affeinvasion said:
Third person with a gun? XCOM is ultimately about shooting aliens. All the base building stuff and research is so you can better shoot aliens. It's not all that crazy of a move going to a FPS.
SMH

Top Bottom