• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

MMaRsu

Banned
Be happy this franchise even got revived. Even if it is an FPS, I have faith in 2k Marin. Bioshock 2 was pretty awesome. Not as good as the first one in most aspects, but better in some.

Haunted said:
I just hope this is not another Shadowruin type of deal in the making.

I'm sorry to say this but fuck you Haunted, Shadowrun 360 was awesome.

Chrange

Banned
Chairman Yang said:
The Shadowrun comparisons are dead on. The Fallout 3 comparisons aren't, because Fallout 3 captured pretty much every element of the original games except the default perspective.
It's amazing to me how much people can tell about how this will play from one screen. :lol

CiSTM said:
Go buy the orginal games from steam and try if that actually works... I can save you time and money, no it will not work.

I can't believe how many people think I am making this stuff up. Reaction training is a widely accepted grinding strategy in X-COM.
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Reaction_Training
I own all of the x-com games. They are horribly dated and full of pointless filler (like shooting down the UFOs in the first place) and the mechanics would not translate well to a console. If you gave me an xcom ds game then that's something else entirely.

All the bitching about being a fps is pointless because who knows exactly what the gameplay is going to be like?

I agree that having a squad based shooter ala Rainbow Six would be the best and that the FBI agent thing is ridiculous. That doesn't mean this is going to be The Conduit.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
You know, it's possible to hope that this FPS X-Com turns out well--I enjoy a good FPS after all--and still be crushingly disappointed in the continued brand-name cash-in spree the industry so gleefully indulges in.

It'd be nice if publishers and developers occasionally allowed themselves a moment of introspection to ask those tough questions, like "Do we really need so many unskippable cutscenes?" and "Do we really need to slap some beloved dead franchises name on this game to pad the sales numbers?"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Affeinvasion said:
I agree that having a squad based shooter ala Rainbow Six would be the best and that the FBI agent thing is ridiculous. That doesn't mean this is going to be The Conduit.
No, I think it's going to be literally the worst game ever. After Sonic 4.

LQX

I pretty sure I got this game free with a video card years ago and it is in some corner somewhere. Think I will go look for it.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Chrange said:
It's amazing to me how much people can tell about how this will play from one screen. :lol
People know it will play like a first-person shooter instead of a turn-based strategy game not because of the one screen released, but because it's a first-person shooter

epmode

Affeinvasion said:
pointless filler (like shooting down the UFOs in the first place)
Disagreed. A bunch of interesting decisions go into a successful UFO downing. Do you sent the interceptor with the fuckton of ordinance or the weaker one from the closer base? And not only that, stronger weapons have a better chance of causing severe damage to a UFO (and the aliens inside) but also damaging useful engine components. Strategy!

belvedere

Junior Butler
Wasn't there a squad focused alien shooter early this gen? Area 51 or something?

Without the management aspects that made the classic XCOM game so good, I fear we're going to see some bogus shit like that again.

CiSTM

Banned
Affeinvasion said:
They are horribly dated and full of pointless filler (like shooting down the UFOs in the first place) and the mechanics would not translate well to a console. If you gave me an xcom ds game then that's something else entirely.

Well they don't have to copy paste the mechanics from +15 year old game, they can update them so they would translate to a console. X-com meets Silent Storm would be nice. Or X-com meets Jagged Alliance 2/3.

Minsc

Gold Member
Affeinvasion said:
I can't believe how many people think I am making this stuff up. Reaction training is a widely accepted grinding strategy in X-COM.
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Reaction_Training
I own all of the x-com games. They are horribly dated and full of pointless filler (like shooting down the UFOs in the first place) and the mechanics would not translate well to a console. If you gave me an xcom ds game then that's something else entirely.

All the bitching about being a fps is pointless because who knows exactly what the gameplay is going to be like?

This setup is not without its dangers, however. Aliens may be able to fire at your troops (especially if more than one is waiting at the door), or throw a grenade, or worst of all, fire a Blaster Bomb.

There you go, from your own link, and just like I said. The same cheesy people who do this are going to be the ones who load the game when the alien comes out shooting first.

It's completely unnecessary. I don't understand your point really. I beat the game twice without doing that crap, other than moving people along in two's or three's which is merely just a good tactic.

The ship is not necessary? WTF! It adds a ton to the game. You need to upgrade ships, equip ships, manage having a limited number of ships, decide whether to attack a UFO or see if it lands on it's own...

CiSTM said:
Well they don't have to copy paste the mechanics from +15 year old game, they can update them so they would translate to a console. X-com meets Silent Storm would be nice. Or X-com meets Jagged Alliance 2/3.

Those are all PC games...(I guess there is a Jagged Alliance for DS but still). I just don't get how you would market a game like X-COM in its original form to the XBOX/PS3 crowd. Games like this were made for the PC and should stay there imo.

To Minsc: I guess I just don't like micromanagement in my strategy games which I understand some people do. I just like the tactical stuff. For me XCOM was a bore until I finally got to the battle map.

I'm kind of glad i haven't played X-COM and have no attachment to it, cos i could see myself joining the ragefest. :lol Actually, screw that. I don't even have to have an attachment to see how FUCKING MORONIC this is.

Affeinvasion said:
I own all of the x-com games. They are horribly dated and full of pointless filler (like shooting down the UFOs in the first place) and the mechanics would not translate well to a console.
I'm sorry to tell you that you are dead wrong. Scrambling jets and sending them to shoot down UFO's was, and will always be, fucking awesome.

Chairman Yang said:
How would you guys feel about something similar to Irrational's SWAT 4?
Sign me up

Chrange said:

God, you're SO funny.

My money is on the fact that it will play like a first person shooter and not like a turn based strategy game.

The clue being, "K Games Announces XCOM® - Suspense and Mystery-Filled First-Person Shooter from Creators of BioShock® 2"

TRY being clever on another thread, or BE clever on this one.

derFeef

bigdaddygamebot said:
God, you're SO funny.

My money is on the fact that it will play like a first person shooter and not like a turn based strategy game.

The clue being, "K Games Announces XCOM® - Suspense and Mystery-Filled First-Person Shooter from Creators of BioShock® 2"

Uhm, there is a huge difference between, say, Half Life 2 and Modern Warfare 2. You get the idea?

MMaRsu

Banned
MotorbreathX said:
Exactly. If this doesn't sell we can kiss any real reboot goodbye. If it does sell, we get more "XCOM" games like this. The XCOM fan loses either way.

Right. How big are the chances the game would have gotten a "real" reboot? I'd say very slim.

icarus-daedelus said:
But it worked so well for Shadowrun!

It was still a very very good game.

Oh noez an old game which is getting a sequel isn't going to be exactly like the old games! ZOMG let's bash this new game even though we hardly know anything about it except that it probably won't play like the old games! This game will suck!

-_-

You guys are too much.

Interfectum

MMaRsu said:
Right. How big are the chances the game would have gotten a "real" reboot? I'd say very slim.

If it's not a "real" reboot then why should we care about a reboot at all.

This is like New Line announcing a sequel to Se7en but instead of it being a thriller it's a romantic comedy starring Jennifer Anniston.

MMaRsu said:
Any how many people would have been happy with what they came up with? I don't have a problem with this being an FPS per se, but there's still a lot they need to do to make it work and the fact is we just don't know enough about it right now.

Still annoyed at the player character being FBI though, that that's the best they could come up with.

Talamius

MMaRsu said:

Given the choice between no reboot and a reboot involving a narrative driven FPS game revolving around an FBI agent, I would have left the series in the past. This stinks of mediocrity with the X-COM name tacked on to garner a few extra sales.

It could surprise me and be a decent game, but I doubt it.

Llyranor

After all these years of stupid industry-flooding X-Com clones and sequelitis crap, it's about time a bold developer stood up and redesigned this stale genre into something much more flamboyant and appealing. This may very well be the happiest day of my life.

MMaRsu

Banned
Interfectum said:
If it's not a "real" reboot then why should we care about a reboot at all.

Because you hardly know anything about the title other than it's an FPS and you play an FBI agent? It could be very very good? It's not like they ditched the universe and went with a whole new style/universe and just attach the XCom name to it.

Neuromancer said:
And how many people would have been happy with what they came up with? I don't have a problem with this being an FPS per se, but there's still a lot they need to do to make it work and the fact is we just don't know enough about it right now.

Still annoyed at the player character being FBI though, that that's the best they could come up with.

Exactly, that's the thing. You are always going to get people who are dissatisfied with a "reboot" or a "sequel" that doesn't play like the previous games. You cannot please everyone.

For all we know this game is going to suck ass, or it could be a GOTY contender. Who knows? Nobody.

Talamius said:
Given the choice between no reboot and a reboot involving a narrative driven FPS game revolving around an FBI agent, I would have left the series in the past. This stinks of mediocrity with the X-COM name tacked on to garner a few extra sales.

It could surprise me and be a decent game, but I doubt it.

Well why don't you just ignore this game then and play the old games. Just pretend there's no reboot just like we pretend there's no Terminator 3 ( wait, Terminator 3? )

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Ferrio said:
I never cared for the xcom games, but I *hate* it when developers switch a game's genre.
Switching a genre is fine, I suppose. It can work.

But (unless I'm missing information), they're simply taking the NAME of a dead franchise they own and had nothing to do with originally and slapping it on the popular "genre of week" to try to eek out some sales from (possible) franchise recognition.

It's equally icky given the time since the franchise sputtered out. If they had been still making X-COM games and decided to give it a switch after a few attempts at the original's original genre, I think there'd be less rage.

derFeef said:
Uhm, there is a huge difference between, say, Half Life 2 and Modern Warfare 2. You get the idea?

Yep. I definitely get it. Half Life 2 is different from Modern Warfare 2 and I enjoyed both of them. They're both First Person Shooters and nothing remotely close to a Turn Based Strategy game.

derFeef said:
Sure sure, not saying its a good idea. But it sounded like you do not want it because its a FPS and not because XCOM is going the FPS route. Sorry then.

No worries. :)

Interfectum

MMaRsu said:
Because you hardly know anything about the title other than it's an FPS and you play an FBI agent? It could be very very good? It's not like they ditched the universe and went with a whole new style/universe and just attach the XCom name to it.

But I don't care about the universe if the gameplay doesn't come along with it.

What if Nintendo announced the big, new Zelda title coming this fall was going to play exactly like Madden or if they announced Mario Galaxy 2 was going to be a Wii Fit clone. Same universe right?

Princess Skittles said:
they're simply taking the NAME of a dead franchise they own and had nothing to do with originally and slapping it on the popular "genre of week"

That's not really fair to say about FPSs. They have been really popular for years now. It's not like the genre started with Halo or CoD4.

Chrange

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
God, you're SO funny.

I'm talking about the people bitching it won't have the 'atmosphere' or 'tension' - the same ones ignoring how awesome Fallout turned out to be so they can tunnel vision in on Shadowrun, which they probably didn't buy or play, not being what they wanted.

Gamers are the fucking worst. No matter what, we bitch bitch bitch.

derFeef

bigdaddygamebot said:
Yep. I definitely get it. Half Life 2 is different from Modern Warfare 2 and I enjoyed both of them. They're both First Person Shooters and nothing remotely close to a Turn Based Strategy game.
Sure sure, not saying its a good idea. But it sounded like you do not want it because its a FPS and not because XCOM is going the FPS route. Sorry then.

Xater

Neuromancer said:
I wonder if the FBI agent in question will harness his latent psychic powers.

My guess is yes

And/or he works for a division that is belittled by the rest of the FBI. You know like in the X-Files. Of course he is the one who sees everything coming!

Interfectum

Chrange said:
I'm talking about the people bitching it won't have the 'atmosphere' or 'tension' - the same ones ignoring how awesome Fallout turned out to be so they can tunnel vision in on Shadowrun, which they probably didn't buy or play, not being what they wanted.

It might be a fun game but I think some of us still have a point in calling this shit out. I mean come on... a first person shooter? Really? Like we don't have enough of those? And I don't think it's a bad thing questing the motives of giant corporations.

It would've been nice to just have something different.

My 3 top series ever are Fallout, Shadowrun, and X-Com.......

man if I haven't been fucked over in this gen or what....(ok fallout 3 turned out good, but still :lol )

No wonder im so jaded in terms of gaming now :lol

MMaRsu

Banned
Chrange said:

Right on the money.

You guys don't know anything about the gameplay other than it's an FPS, which could still mean a lot. Not all FPS games are the same.

What if this game actually *gasp* turns out great?

Interfectum said:
It might be a fun game but I think some of us still have a point in calling this shit out. I mean come on... a first person shooter? Really? Like we don't have enough of those? And I don't think it's a bad thing questing the motives of giant corporations.

It would've been nice to just have something different.

I agree, but let me tell you, how much would it sell if the gameplay was almost exactly like the old games? Not very much I would think not.

Right because everyone already knows this is going to be bad from an announcing press release and a single screen.

Edit: What MMaRsu said.

Interfectum

liquidlogan said:
Right because everyone already knows this is going to be bad from an announcing press release and a single screen.

I'm not sure if you've been reading the thread or not but I don't think the argument is as simple as "the game will suck."

It's more like... "why?"
and... "zzzzZZz"

It's not really crazy that some gamers are disappointed that an old favorite is being resurrected into a genre that is overflowing to the point it is bursting at the seems...

Top Bottom