• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

Interfectum

MMaRsu said:
I agree, but let me tell you, how much would it sell if the gameplay was almost exactly like the old games? Not very much I would think not.

I don't care about sales. Sure everything would sell better as an FPS or 3rd person cover-based shooter... but I'm not a shareholder. :p

I want a really fun, hardcore strategy game. You know, what X-com is, or used to be.

MMaRsu said:
Right on the money.

You guys don't know anything about the gameplay other than it's an FPS, which could still mean a lot. Not all FPS games are the same.

What if this game actually *gasp* turns out great?

Holy fuck. It might be teh B357 FPS evar but it WON'T be a turn based strategy game. Seriously, do you work in a marketing department? Your blind enthusiasm is inspiring.

Grecco

Interfectum said:
But I don't care about the universe if the gameplay doesn't come along with it.

What if Nintendo announced the big, new Zelda title coming this fall was going to play exactly like Madden or if they announced Mario Galaxy 2 was going to be a Wii Fit clone. Same universe right?
I heard nintendo is gonna make 2d plataforming metroid into some game called metroid prime and make it into a fps bro we should make a pettition

epmode

MMaRsu said:
I agree, but let me tell you, how much would it sell if the gameplay was almost exactly like the old games? Not very much I would think not.
My job on GAF is to think about what is good for the people who actually play the games rather than the people who produce them. Sales Age doesn't interest me very much and I couldn't care less about about potential sales of an X-COM FPS (sigh) vs. a brand new turn-based game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Interfectum said:
I don't care about sales. Sure everything would sell better as an FPS or 3rd person cover-based shooter... but I'm not a shareholder. :p

I want a really fun, hardcore strategy game. You know, what X-com is, or used to be.

While I can certainly understand your viewpoint, these companies make games to make money.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Holy fuck. It might be teh B357 FPS evar but it WON'T be a turn based strategy game. Seriously, do you work in a marketing department? Your blind enthusiasm is inspiring.

My blind enthousiasm? I just posted on this very same page that it could either suck ass or be a very good game. Who knows?

What if it's a FPS with turn based strategy elements incorporated into the game? You don't know anything about this title.

epmode said:
My job on GAF is to think about what is good for the people who actually play the games rather than the people who produce them. Sales Age doesn't interest me very much and I couldn't care less about about potential sales of an X-COM FPS (sigh) vs. a brand new turn-based game.

I could personally care less about sales, and I can UNDERSTAND how you could be upset that X-Com has been turned into an FPS game. But you have to understand that these companies want to make money. But people are already turning this game down based on the premise of it being an FPS alone, yet they know nothing about the gameplay, which seems kind of stupid to me.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I wouldn't confuse blind enthusiasm with wanting to give something a fair shake.

Chrange

Banned
derFeef said:
That won´t sell well.
Even if it somehow does sell well, it will still suck. There's no way it can capture the magic of the title unless it's exactly the same, in which case we will RAGE that they didn't innovate!

Grecco said:
I heard nintendo is gonna make 2d plataforming metroid into some game called metroid prime and make it into a fps bro we should make a pettition

Ugh...one company doing it right doesn't mean that every company is going to be able to do it as well.

So I suppose I'm the only one that thinks no two genres are more diametrically opposed than First Person Shooter and Turn Based Strategy?

eznark

Banned
duckroll said:
X-com FPS? Pass.

I honestly don't care if that makes me look like a whiny gamer but really, a FPS? Is the industry so devoid of creativity that their solution to reviving any beloved IP is to make it a shooter?

Dumb idea.

I'll stop crying when I get a Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers space marine shooter.

derFeef

MMaRsu said:
While I can certainly understand your viewpoint, these companies make games to make money.

My blind enthousiasm? I just posted on this very same page that it could either suck ass or be a very good game. Who knows?

What if it's a FPS with turn based strategy elements incorporated into the game? You don't know anything about this title.

Some kind of Rainbow Six (the old ones) inside my XCOM shooter... okay I want that :D

Chrange

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
Ugh...one company doing it right doesn't mean that every company is going to be able to do it as well.

So I suppose I'm the only one that thinks no two genres are more diametrically opposed than First Person Shooter and Turn Based Strategy?
FPS and Turn based strategy where things are shooting other things? How about FPS and racing? FPS and date sim?

Honestly, you realize you are just arguing that you hate the game already because of the genre, right? You have ZERO IDEA how it plays, but are already shouting AGAINST and looking for pitchforks :lol

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
MMaRsu said:
You are a friggin FBI agent. That pretty much rules out any resemblance of base building or R&D. It could be a great action game at best, but still no X-Com.

MMaRsu said:

Maybe, but I doubt'er.

XCom Agents VS Aliens multiplayer confirmed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Llyranor said:
After all these years of stupid industry-flooding X-Com clones and sequelitis crap, it's about time a bold developer stood up and redesigned this stale genre into something much more flamboyant and appealing. This may very well be the happiest day of my life.

I'm sorry Llyranor =(

Funky Papa said:
You are a friggin FBI agent. That pretty much rules out any resemblance of base building or R&D. It could be a great action game at best, but still no X-Com.
Yeah I agree, to me this is the most damning news. It just makes this game sound generic. =\

Interfectum

Chrange said:
Even if it somehow does sell well, it will still suck. There's no way it can capture the magic of the title unless it's exactly the same, in which case we will RAGE that they didn't innovate!

Aww look at the poster taking the contrarian point of view and rising above the whiners. You're right though... Being disappointed that it's an FPS and not a turn-based strategy game means we all want the exact same game as before. There is no way to evolve the game on it's original path into something better.

Lets just cross our fingers and hope it sells well so 2K makes some money. How much stock do you have in them again?

Chrange said:
FPS and date sim?

Sign me up. Sounds wicked.

Chrange said:
Honestly, you realize you are just arguing that you hate the game already because of the genre, right? You have ZERO IDEA how it plays, but are already shouting AGAINST and looking for pitchforks :lol

I don't know if I hate the game, but I do know that I HATE the spirit of it. I also hate the corporate culture that had the thought process like this.

Corporate Douche 1 - "We need a new IP, something fresh."

Corporate Douche 2 - "Hey, I know, what about XCom? It was pretty popular way back when, but it's old enough that the younger ones won't really know about it, but it has the name to pull in the older gamers. It even has lasers, mind powers and aliens!"

Corporate Douche 1 - "Sounds great, what kindof game was it?"

Corporate Douche 2 - "Yeah, it was a turn based strategy."

Corporate Douche 1 - "FPS it is then."

Levi

Banned
I'm always up for a good shooter. Now it's up to them to explain to me what differentiates this from all my other choices in the genre. Doesn't bother me that it's X-Com in name only.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bigdaddygamebot said:
Corporate Douche 1 - "We need a new IP, something fresh."

Corporate Douche 2 - "Hey, I know, what about XCom? It was pretty popular way back when, but it's old enough that the younger ones won't really know about it, but it has the name to pull in the older gamers. It even has lasers, mind powers and aliens!"

Corporate Douche 1 - "Sounds great, what kindof game was it?"

Corporate Douche 2 - "Yeah, it was a turn based strategy."

Corporate Douche 1 - "FPS it is then."
ors60l.jpg

CiSTM

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Exactly, something like that would be totally money!

BTW Is there any tactical FPS games on consoles these days ? Something along the lines of Rainbow Six or Swat 4 ?

edit: then again swat 4 was kinda light when it came to tactical side of the game... but man the atmosphere was great.

Xater

CiSTM said:
BTW Is there any tactical FPS games on consoles these days ? Something along the lines of Rainbow Six or Swat 4 ?

The new Ghost Recon maybe? But I think that will probably end up also being more on the action side.

epmode

Xater said:
The new Ghost Recon maybe? But I think that will probably end up also being more on the action side.
It's a third-person shooter with shoulder-mounted rocket launchers. lols

CiSTM said:

edit: then again swat 4 was kinda light when it came to tactical side of the game... but man the atmosphere was great.
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising but it had a lot of issues. Still fun though.

Mindlog

Chrange said:
I'm talking about the people bitching it won't have the 'atmosphere' or 'tension' - the same ones ignoring how awesome Fallout turned out to be so they can tunnel vision in on Shadowrun, which they probably didn't buy or play, not being what they wanted.

Gamers are the fucking worst. No matter what, we bitch bitch bitch.

There's no room for discussion?

For example:

If I state that one of X-Com's greatest strengths was that any character could be permanently killed at any moment.

Then I follow that up with commentary on how that's impossible to achieve with scripted characters.

Am I allowed to make such a claim?

I've never once stated that I hope this game sucks. It's just some random game with the X-Com label stuck to it for some reason.

eznark said:

I honestly don't care if that makes me look like a whiny gamer but really, a FPS? Is the industry so devoid of creativity that their solution to reviving any beloved IP is to make it a shooter?

Dumb idea.

I'll stop crying when I get a Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers space marine shooter.

I remember playing that shit on PC back in the day.

CiSTM

Banned
Xater said:

I liked the first Ghost Recon game but the Advanced Warfighter was bit too actiony for me. Has anyone played Advanced Warfighter on PC ? I heard there is big differences between console and pc versions (gameplay vise), true or false ?

Sinatar said:
If it had the base building, research and UFO interception of the original and replaced the TBS part with a squad based shooter, I could totally get into that, especially with a strong coop element.

However this FBI agent shit makes this sound like it's gonna be some linear crap.

Yeah. The rich irony of this is that the thought process one must go through to decide in the first place to make X-Com into an FPS at the same time inherently prevents one from actually transforming it into the right kind of FPS that would actually be respectful to the franchise's history. :lol

X-Com was huge, it's Microposes fault that they drilled that franchise into the dirt.

Also true. It's not like X-Com was a tiny niche franchise back in the day.

obonicus said:
I'm all for a Delta Green game

oh man that would be fuckmazing

shuri said:
edit2: you guys have to realise that turn based games are D.O.A with today's gamers.

This is some goofy-ass shit, but it doesn't stop people from firing it off every time the topic comes up.

every fucking installment of Civilization still sells like fucking gangbusters

The only "problem" with turn-based gameplay is that companies chasing the FPS/RTS gravy train in like 1999 formed an opinion that no one ever wanted to play turn-based games again and that false premise has regrettably stuck ever since.

Xater

CiSTM said:
I liked the first Ghost Recon game but the Advanced Warfighter was bit too actiony for me. Has anyone played Advanced Warfighter on PC ? I heard there is big differences between console and pc versions (gameplay vise), true or false ?

Yes the PC version is very different. It was done by Grin and way more tactical.

Akia

I hope that everyone complaining understands that if this sells well, 2K will almost assuredly green light a mainline PC strategy X-COM game. If you look at it from 2K's perspective, they're bringing back an outdated, niche PC franchise which is risky. It only makes sense as a business that they're trying to hedge their bets. The first reboot game is the only chance a publisher gets to make an old franchise a multi-million seller. If they came out with a PC strategy game first, X-COM would be pegged as a niche franchise until next gen.

Interfectum

Akia said:
I hope that everyone complaining understands that if this sells well, 2K will almost assuredly green light a mainline PC strategy X-COM game.

:lol please hand me what you're smoking, as you have not a shred of evidence to prove or even encourage anymore thought into your hypothesis.

If an X-Com FPS sells well, it will green light more X-Com FPS games... not a mainline PC strategy game. Hell, maybe we'll even get an X-Com MMO! :lol

Akia said:
I hope that everyone complaining understands that if this sells well, 2K will almost assuredly green light a mainline PC strategy X-COM game. If you look at it from 2K's perspective, they're bringing back an outdated, niche PC franchise which is risky. It only makes sense as a business that they're trying to hedge their bets. The first reboot game is the only chance a publisher gets to make an old franchise a multi-million seller. If they came out with a PC strategy game first, X-COM would be pegged as a niche franchise until next gen.

I'm not saying you're right or you're wrong.

But if 2K is actually thinking that; I'm completely not surprised they came up with XCom - The FPS.

You're completely wrong

Llyranor

charlequin said:
every fucking installment of Civilization still sells like fucking gangbusters
I remember back when Firaxis had gotten its hands on the X-Com brand. There was cautious optimism then! Then 2K bought them and who knows what happened since :(

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6238162.html
During a 2004 video interview promoting the relaunch of Pirates, Meier told GameSpot that Firaxis had entered into a long-term agreement with Atari to retain the X-com IP. According to the US Patent and Trademark Office, the X-Com license transferred to Take-Two when it bought Firaxis in 2005.

Also interesting is that it looks like X-Com PC/360 was confirmed back in October (I've forgotten about that, or maybe I didn't want to remember). Let's pour more salt onto the wounds once the eventual rumor-crushing arrives:
The rumor is that there's two X-Com games--[an] FPS from Irrational and [a] turn-based one from Firaxis."
Rumors!

Ben Sones

Akia said:
I hope that everyone complaining understands that if this sells well, 2K will almost assuredly green light a mainline PC strategy X-COM game.

I think the chances of that happening are somewhere between zero and zero percent. If 2K Games honestly thought that successful franchises could sell turn-based strategy games, then they'd already be making them.

I hope after XCOM they make the Masters of Magic FPS we've all been dying for. It could be like that Might and Magic game. Hopefully this golden age is just beginning. :)

Mindlog

Llyranor said:
I remember back when Firaxis had gotten its hands on the X-Com brand. There was cautious optimism then! Then 2K bought them and who knows what happened since :(

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6238162.html

Also interesting is that it looks like X-Com PC/360 was confirmed back in October (I've forgotten about that, or maybe I didn't want to remember). Let's pour more salt onto the wounds once the eventual rumor-crushing arrives:
Rumors!

Yeah that was repeated earlier.

I promised to eat a KFC Double Down if it's true.

I'm also looking for pig in shit pictures/gifs.

:(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Akia said:

Yes because that always happens in the gaming industry... oh... wait...

If this is successful then 2K won't make a strategy game, they will make more of this. Lots more.

epmode

chicken_ramen said:
I hope after XCOM they make the Masters of Magic FPS we've all been dying for. It could be like that Might and Magic game. Hopefully this golden age is just beginning. :)
haha, yes.

(at least we have Elemental!)

MMaRsu

Banned
Mindlog said:
There's no room for discussion?

For example:

If I state that one of X-Com's greatest strengths was that any character could be permanently killed at any moment.

Then I follow that up with commentary on how that's impossible to achieve with scripted characters.

Am I allowed to make such a claim?

I've never once stated that I hope this game sucks. It's just some random game with the X-Com label stuck to it for some reason.

Ofcourse there is room for discussion! But half the posts in this thread are like this :

This game is going to suck because it's an FPS.

And how can you be so sure about bolded?

epmode

MMaRsu said:
Ofcourse there is room for discussion! But half the posts in this thread are like this :

I'm not seeing this. In fact, many people are saying that the game may very well be good. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

It's just that it's almost impossible for a narritive-focused FPS to carry over everything we love about X-COM.

Deja vu.

birdchili

allow me to add my voice to the "you've got to be kidding me" crowd.

and saying that it might be a really, really fine fps misses the point.

MMaRsu said:

That would be like making an absolute statement saying that all FPS suck and should not be made any more. Someone saying something like that about a whole genre with lots of different possibilities that have not been explored would be quite foolish and I don't really see any people saying that about FPS.

It's just that X-COM is pretty much synonymous with it's own game genre and that genre is not FPS.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
MMaRsu said:
Right on the money.

You guys don't know anything about the gameplay other than it's an FPS, which could still mean a lot. Not all FPS games are the same.

What if this game actually *gasp* turns out great?
Irrelevant. The issue isn't the quality of the game being made, the issue is the game not being made.

Let's say Civilization 6 is made as an FPS, and let's say it's a really great FPS. Could you understand why people would still be annoyed with the game?

MMaRsu said:
No one wants the game to be exactly like the old games. People do want something with similar (but improved) core gameplay and various modernizations, and if that was achieved it could sell spectacularly.

Top Bottom