• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games announces XCOM (X360 and PC)

UNCyrus

As a fan of the old X-COM franchise, I'm not sure if I should be more pissed off, or disappointed that 2K Marin is ruining one of my fondest memories of old-school PC gaming by turning it into an FPS.

There is a lack of turn based strategy RPG games... And after this announcement there still is a lack of them :(

Ikael

Horrible, horrible news. 2K have mother fucking firaxis, creators of the Civilization saga, and have always been talking about "diversify the portfolio" and then they come with such a load of crap. I hope it backfires them, badly.

So fuck you, 2K. And fuck fuck the faux "hardcore gamer" stereotype centered around overweight xbox live players addicted to Call of Duty. It is one thousand times more damaging to our medium than any wiifit soccer mom could ever be.

Interfectum

Affeinvasion said:
Third person with a gun? XCOM is ultimately about shooting aliens. All the base building stuff and research is so you can better shoot aliens. It's not all that crazy of a move going to a FPS.

I agree 100%. It's not a crazy move at all. It's predictable and boring.

syllogism

Affeinvasion said:
Third person with a gun? XCOM is ultimately about shooting aliens. All the base building stuff and research is so you can better shoot aliens. It's not all that crazy of a move going to a FPS.
Civ is ultimately about shooting enemy infantry as well, am I right

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
UNCyrus said:
As a fan of the old X-COM franchise, I'm not sure if I should be more pissed off, or disappointed that 2K Marin is ruining one of my fondest memories of old-school PC gaming by turning it into an FPS.

There is a lack of turn based strategy RPG games... And after this announcement there still is a lack of them :(
It's been said a couple of times, but this could work really well as a Rainbow Six 1/SWAT 4 type of game, but since you are an FBI agent long before the first X-Com summit, that's out of the question.

If any, I pray for a Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth with sectoids and snakemen. That would make me happy. Just call it X-Com: I want to Believe or whatever, do not sully the memory of the actual X-Com with such an undeserving reboot.

Minsc

Gold Member
Affeinvasion said:
Original two XCOM games were boring and frustrating. Why anyone would want a fourth xcom game that is exactly the same gameplay as the first three is beyond me. I get nostalgia (XCOM was one of my first games that I remember playing) but seriously.

The original two x-com games shame pretty much every other sRPG to date, that's how good they are.

I don't understand the boring argument, unless you don't like the genre to begin with. There's basically no filler, no story, no stupid cutscenes, just pure gameplay.

TheKurgan

Wow saw the tread title and was excited - read the press release and couldn't care less. All I want is a PSN/XBL re-release of the the original X-Com: UFO Defence - PERIOD!

interfectum said:
I agree 100%. It's not a crazy move at all. It's predictable and boring.
touche

syllogism said:
Civ is ultimately about shooting enemy infantry as well, am I right

In Civ there are multiple win conditions that don't necessarily focus on combat? In XCOM if my memory serves me correctly to beat the game you have to go and fight off the aliens in some final battle.

Minsc said:
The original two x-com games shame pretty much every other sRPG to date, that's how good they are.

Yeah because crouching outside the door of a ufo while constantly pressing end turn so that you can train your reaction is the pinnacle of SRPG gaming.

Xater

If Civ still finds an audience then there has to be a way to make a "traditional" X-COM. It even has a better pull than Civ with the scenario. making it an FPS is lazy, lame and doesn't do the franchise justice.

There are also still SRPGs. So yeah there is an audience for that kind of gameplay.

epmode

Jintor said:
Regrettably, that's not going to get developers paid. : <
It doesn't need to be a goddamned hypermegabudget game. We have enough of those.

Some devs do just fine with turn-based games (Firaxis + Stardock) even now.

UNCyrus said:

Yeah, this is sort of a nothing announcement. Yesterday there was nothing interesting to say about the future of X-COM games and today there is also nothing worth saying.

Except that actually the UFO: Extraterrestrials team are working on a sequel. Frozen Synapse looks very good. I know which games I will be following and buying.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Affeinvasion said:
touche

In Civ there are multiple win conditions that don't necessarily focus on combat? In XCOM if my memory serves me correctly to beat the game you have to go and fight off the aliens in some final battle.

well in the Civ FPS they could give you stealth gameplay options and a beefy dialog tree.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
So I guess you never heard of the UFO trilogy? Or the otherwise unrelated UFO: Extraterrestrials? Guess they didn't sell that well...
Yeah, I've heard of those, but when I refer to "a modern game like X-Com", I don't just mean a modern game that apes the old X-Com. I want an updated version, with improvements to gameplay, graphics, interface, feature set, etc. Something that captures the appeal of the original game but modernizes it. Something with a decent budget, like the original had relative to its time period. Almost everyone here does...otherwise, they'd all be satisfied with the original.

That's why people are so harsh on this FPS. It might be good. In fact, it probably will be. But it won't have the same sort of appeal the original strategic X-Com had. It's like no matter how good ice cream is, it won't satisfy you if what you really want is a steak.

The Shadowrun comparisons are dead on. The Fallout 3 comparisons aren't, because Fallout 3 captured pretty much every element of the original games except the default perspective.

Affeinvasion said:

Errr, you don't actually aim etc, you know. You select a target. You don't actually shoot. Just like in any other tactical game/srpg, absolutely similar to Civilisation. Saying that XCOM has more in common with shooters than with other strategy games is obviously stupid. It's not stupid in a subjective way either, it's obvious bullshit.

Yeah because crouching outside the door of a ufo while constantly pressing end turn so that you can train your reaction is the pinnacle of SRPG gaming.

No, it means nothing else but that the game wasn't perfect. Jesus fucking Christ. Just like, you know, all the greatest games ever made.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
epmode said:
It doesn't need to be a goddamned hypermegabudget game. We have enough of those.

Some devs do just fine with turn-based games (Firaxis + Stardock) even now.
Pokemon, lots of JRPGs, and hosts of turn-based casual games also seem to do ok.

Xater

Chairman Yang said:
Yeah, I've heard of those, but when I refer to "a modern game like X-Com", I don't just mean a modern game that apes the old X-Com. I want an updated version, with improvements to gameplay, graphics, interface, feature set, etc. Something that captures the appeal of the original game but modernizes it. Something with a decent budget, like the original had relative to its time period. Almost everyone here does...otherwise, they'd all be satisfied with the original.

That's why people are so harsh on this FPS. It might be good. In fact, it probably will be. But it won't have the same sort of appeal the original strategic X-Com had. It's like no matter how good ice cream is, it won't satisfy you if what you really want is a steak.

The Shadowrun comparisons are dead on. The Fallout 3 comparisons aren't, because Fallout 3 captured pretty much every element of the original games except the default perspective.

100% this! As much as I like X-COM I'm not that jaded that I don't see that it need modernization. That's why I could not get that into the UFO games that were released in the recent years.

Minsc

Gold Member
Affeinvasion said:

Because all battles take place in a UFO? Ever play a terror mission in the first month? That's where it is at! Just try and protect those civilians!

The base defense missions are pretty unique too, I couldn't believe I was playing on a map that was my base the first time it got attacked! And besides, even if you are crouching outside a door aiming forward, there's still a chance the alien will get the first shot off.

I don't get what you're saying, you can cheese any game. You certainly can't stand outside the door of a UFO to win every battle, you're more than likely going to have to clear the surroundings first.

Swifty

I'll say it again, if this were a squad based X-COM FPS with gameplay elements such as squad based tactics, managing funding from X-COM member nations, unlocking weapons and equipment through research and development, and persistant squad management with leveling up, I doubt many X-COM fans would complain.

Instead, they're making a first person shooter that's narrative driven centered around a FBI agent whose main focus will be on solitary detective work rather than leading and managing a platoon of alien killing commandos.

HOW EXACTLY DID THIS HAPPEN?! :lol

dak1dsk1 said:
Most of the whiners prolly didn't support Gollop by buying: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebelstar:_Tactical_Command
To be fair, Rebelstar is a mediocre game that lacks many of the important features that makes the first three X-Com games so awesome. There is no geoscape, base building, research, or resource management. All you do is play a series of linear missions. People are better off playing the Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight games.

theultimo

Swifty said:
I'll say it again, if this were a squad based X-COM FPS with gameplay elements such as squad based tactics, managing funding from X-COM member nations, unlocking weapons and equipment through research and development, and persistant squad management with leveling up, I doubt many X-COM fans would complain.

Instead, they're making a first person shooter that's narrative driven centered around a FBI agent whose main focus will be on solitary detective work rather than leading and managing a platoon of alien killing commandos.

HOW EXACTLY DID THIS HAPPEN?! :lol
Market Analysts I think.
Or maybe Focus-Groups that cater to the 13-15yo range. Blowing stuff up is cool for them.

Sadly, Val Chronicles in a X-COM setting would be the next evolution of the francise. Now its turning into Starcraft Ghost or CnC Renegade.

Sectus

Affeinvasion said:
That's like saying camping in any multiplayer shooter is the pinnacle of FPS gaming.

I can't even ever remembering doing that in X-Com. Would it be much help anyway? From what I recall, when you went to UFO sites, most aliens weren't even inside the UFO.

Dennis

Banned
Tripwood said:
I sure hope it will have regenerative health.
This is a great chance to bring the old XCom games to a whole new set of standards.
This...this is a joke right?

I would prefer a simple carbon-copy of the first X-Com game with updated graphics, to this new FPS game. How could they....*sob*

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Koopakiller said:
If this is 2K Marin's project than they must have been working on this at the same time they started Bioshock 2 in order for them to be far along enough to announce this thing. But that contradicts the PR because if it was in development at the same time as BS2, 2K Marin would have to have 2 teams, which means that this isn't from the developers of BS2 but a totally different team that didn't work on BS1 or BS2.
Not necessarily true. Not everyone who was involved with a game's development is staffed full-time on that project for its duration. People whose focus was more on the pre-production side could well have been rolled off in the early stages of full production, and would therefore be free to work on something else. As production heads toward the end, more and more staff could be rolled off as their work is completed - they'll be available for bug fixes, but at some point that won't be a full-time effort for many, hence why they'd be rolled off due to availability.

You don't need a full-staffed second team necessarily, and it's not uncommon at all for a game project to have no more than 15-20 people for a good part of the early stages.

Ubersnug

Well, if we can take anything from this, perhaps it will encourage the xcom license holders to release a copy of XCom Ufo defense on xbox live/PSN on the run up to the launch of this new game? Even if the new game turns out to be rubbish, this alone would please me.

Perhaps even a port of UFO Apocalypse too..... One can dream...

CiSTM

Banned
Affeinvasion said:

Go buy the orginal games from steam and try if that actually works... I can save you time and money, no it will not work. Of course the AI isn't best in orginal UFO games but they are challenging as hell even today. I have been repeating UFO 2 recently and the game is incredibly hard if you just crank up the difficulty level. Same tricks that work on beginner mode doesn't work so well anymore :)

Dennis

Banned
Affeinvasion said:
Original two XCOM games were boring and frustrating. Why anyone would want a fourth xcom game that is exactly the same gameplay as the first three is beyond me. I get nostalgia (XCOM was one of my first games that I remember playing) but seriously.
So the games were too intellectually challenging for you? Poor you, but for those of us who like turn-based strategy, the first two X-Com games are masterpieces.

syllogism

Ubersnug said:
Well, if we can take anything from this, perhaps it will encourage the xcom license holders to release a copy of XCom Ufo defense on xbox live/PSN on the run up to the launch of this new game? Even if the new game turns out to be rubbish, this alone would please me.

Perhaps even a port of UFO Apocalypse too..... One can dream...
Or you could get the not-control-crippled version on Steam practically for free

pr0cs

Looks pretty interesting to me, I really enjoyed Bioshock2 so I'm optimistic that they'll do a good job with this one.
I have no preference if it's a strategy or FPS, I enjoy both genres.

I don't think you can really compare this to Fallout 3. Fallout 3, altough in first person perspective, kept the theme, lore and atmosphere of the previous installments.

XCOM is basically all gameplay, however. I don't know what exactly is supposed to carry over from the previous games. Real world modern day settings? Generic alien creature designs? A non-existant story and protaganist? Unless there is substantial squad tactical combat, base building and management, and an open free world which allows for a macro-level strategy to winning the game, I don't know what makes it XCOM. I'm sure it will be a great game as 2K is quite capable, its just looks like they have shamelessly tacked on the XCOM franchise to garner more sales and hype.

Maybe next time they'll look at making a simcity shooter.

Ubersnug

syllogism said:
Or you could get the not-control-crippled version on Steam practically for free
Oh, picked up the complete Xcom collection already for the ridiculously cheap price of £3.

However, I would certainly double dip for a version on Live Arcade!

Dennis

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
I don't think you can really compare this to Fallout 3. Fallout 3, altough in first person perspective, kept the theme, lore and atmosphere of the previous installments.

XCOM is basically all gameplay, however. I don't know what exactly is supposed to carry over from the previous games. Real world modern day settings? Generic alien creature designs? A non-existant story and protaganist? Unless there is substantial squad tactical combat, base building and management, and an open free world which allows for a macro-level strategy to winning the game, I don't know what makes it XCOM. I'm sure it will be a great game as 2K is quite capable, its just looks like they have shamelessly tacked on the XCOM franchise to garner more sales and hype.

Jesus Christ, don't give them any ideas!

bhlaab

TheRagnCajun said:

That's... arguable.

Nimyh

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
I don't know what makes it XCOM. I'm sure it will be a great game as 2K is quite capable, its just looks like they have shamelessly tacked on the XCOM franchise to garner more sales and hype.
Seriously, what were they thinking :lol
TheRagnCajun said:
You mean like this one?
90647_large.jpeg

Swittcher

Banned
Sweet.

You know, I was just sitting around the other night, thinking to myself, "Holy shit, there really isn't alot of shooters coming out anymore! Fuck this industry."

mclem

Of All Trades said:
You're grossly overestimating the number of people clamoring for a new X-Com in the vein of the originals, particularly given how well Microprose themselves burned the series on its way out with Interceptor and the degree of shift Apocalypse brought (hell, I could argue that the only good X-Com game was the original since TFTD had such a retarded difficulty spike). Since then we've had a good handful of various devs (each who seemed to claim to have some X-Com people somehow) attempt to re-do X-Com, at best producing something mediocre.

Well, in that case, why use X-Com at all? That's the problem, it becomes circular. If people want X-Com, they want something in at least a somewhat classic vein, and if they don't, why call it X-Com?

Having said that, I generally trust RPS, so I'm somewhat reassured by their comment on the issue.

Mrbob

Xcom is back, which is nice. Not sure how I feel about this being a first person shooter though. Generation of the shooter at the moment.

Hopefully the rumors about Firaxis making an xcom strategy game is ture.

Sloane

Banned
mclem said:
Well, in that case, why use X-Com at all? That's the problem, it becomes circular. If people want X-Com, they want something in at least a somewhat classic vein, and if they don't, why call it X-Com?
This.

X-Com was a dead franchise. Nobody knew about it anymore except for the actual fans that played and loved the original two games. If you want to revive the franchise, you either cater to that crowd or you don't revive it at all. Make the game, but don't call it X-Com and get the fans' hopes up. Is this so hard to understand?

TheRagnCajun said:
XCOM is basically all gameplay, however. I don't know what exactly is supposed to carry over from the previous games. Real world modern day settings? Generic alien creature designs? A non-existant story and protaganist?
So true.

KevinCow

Banned
I've never played X-COM, but from what I understand, wasn't it a turn-based strategy? I dunno, it seems kinda pointless to revive an old turn-based strategy series just to turn it into another FPS. I could sorta understand if it was a particularly big or marketable name, but X-COM?

I loved X-Com and I think we need to give this game a chance. If it captures even 1/4 the atmosphere and feeling from the first game, I think it could be a success.

Look at this way- at least it's not another fucking modern military shooter. These days even moderately above average sci fi/alien FPS's are hard to come by.

I wish it was Ken Levine but 2K Marin seems pretty competent.

Edit: Wait, you're an FBI agent in this?! OK fuck you 2K Marin

McNum

And just when Sonic 4 was looking to be a lock for "Worst misuse of a franchise name in 2010", a new challenger appears.

I played the first X-COM only recently, during that stupidly cheap sale on Steam, and I liked it, but hated the UI. The game is great, and the idea of build bases, train soldiers, shoot aliens works great, but the interface to actually do that is way too many clicks, with a few curious design choices added. I actually played Valkyria Chronicles before XCOM, and it really is the Battlescape from X-COM evolved, and streamlined. A lot less lethal, though. Yet we get an FPS where the main character isn't even an X-COM member. Unless he becomes that within the first hour of the game, of course.

Top Bottom