• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3.5 million DS's sold in Europe (13 million worldwide)

olimario

Banned
quetz67 said:
As I said, the xbox 360 was the best launch in the UK ever.

The DS is a gameboy, Nintendo is the king of the handheld market, so it was to be expected to sell lots. I dont say it is bad or Nintendo should have done more. The GBA sold 71 million in some 5 years, even if it was not the fastest 5 million seller. Both is impressive but seen in a context it isnt special/suprising/unexpected whatever you want.

The DS is not a Game Boy. It wasn't marketed like one and it isn't called one.
Third Pillar for the win.

quetz67

Banned
olimario said:
The DS is not a Game Boy. It wasn't marketed like one and it isn't called one.
Third Pillar for the win.
You believe anything PR people try to tell you? Come on, it is a portable machine, it plays gameboy games and with its release GBA sales went down. It is a next level gameboy with 2 screens and a stick.

quetz67

Banned
monkeyrun said:
look forward to Sony's 15 million PSP worldwide PR any time now
They probably wait til their fiscal year ends with that. Would be a little unbelievable right now.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
quetz67 said:
Might work, because I mostly reply to other peoples comments. Whats wrong about that? whats wrong about what I write?

I haven't paid much attention to what you've said i.e. read all your posts. I agree with what you're trying to say - but I don't agree with the way you go on about it, seems its annoying everyone! lol

I think it is natural that the DS should eventually inherit the entire GBA userbase - it is guaranteed that by the end of its lifespan the DS will have sold at least close to the GBA number simply because GBA gamers switch to the DS. Nevertheless, the speed and manner which it has performed this year is sensational and really quite unprecedented.

GBA always sold well, but its never attracted this much mainstream attention. Handheld gaming has never been as popular as it is right now and neer has a system had so many must own games in sucha short span of time.

Grug

quetz67 said:
You believe anything PR people try to tell you? Come on, it is a portable machine, it plays gameboy games and with its release GBA sales went down. It is a next level gameboy with 2 screens and a stick.

If you open a KFC next to a McDonalds, the McDonald's sales should effectively drop. Doesn't mean its the same product.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
If someone told us that the DS would sell 13 million so quickly before it was released, he would have been banned.

quetz67

Banned
Latest Famitsu survey, isnt that strange?

1. PlayStation3 - 47,8 Prozent
2. Revolution - 24,5 Prozent
3. Xbox 360 - 15,5 Prozent
4. Nintendo DS - 5,2 Prozent
5. PSP - 3,2 Prozent
5. PlayStation2 - 3,2 Prozent
6. Gamecube - 0,6 Prozent

quetz67

Banned
kaizoku said:
I haven't paid much attention to what you've said i.e. read all your posts. I agree with what you're trying to say - but I don't agree with the way you go on about it, seems its annoying everyone! lol
That might be true

kaizoku said:
Nevertheless, the speed and manner which it has performed this year is sensational and really quite unprecedented.
sensational and unprecedented? 71 million in 5 years = 14 million a year. How is 10-12 million in a year sensational and unprecedented. Great...yes, fantastic...OK, impressive (like the predecessors) yes.

I might be sensational if you expected the DS to do 1 million or 3 million, like many obviously did, but guess what it was beyond that a year or 9 month ago.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
quetz67 said:
Latest Famitsu survey, isnt that strange?

5. PSP - 3,2 Prozent

What was the question that was asked?
What system do you plan to purchase in 2006? If so 15.5 percent are lying... :lol

Quetz said:
The DS is a gameboy, Nintendo is the king of the handheld market, so it was to be expected to sell lots. I dont say it is bad or Nintendo should have done more. The GBA sold 71 million in some 5 years, even if it was not the fastest 5 million seller. Both is impressive but seen in a context it isnt special/suprising/unexpected whatever you want

The DS is not a gameboy. It has replaced the gameboy in Japan and will soon in other regions, but it is not a gameboy. Gameboys do not have touchscreens and the fact of the matter is it takes a LOT to trust a product whose sole basis is "gameplay through a touchscreen" than it does a system which is like a souped-up gameboy with a huge screen.

Izzy

Banned
5. PSP - 3,2 Prozent

DS and PSP are doomed in Japan. :(

Anyway, great numbers for DS in Europe - my hat is off to Nintendo.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
quetz67 said:
sensational and unprecedented? 71 million in 5 years = 14 million a year. How is 10-12 million in a year sensational and unprecedented. Great...yes, fantastic...OK, impressive (like the predecessors) yes.
How many million units did the GBA still sold this year? And wasn't the DS facing tremendous competition in 2005? This tells us that the DS is
1) a 3rd pillar indeed
2) not hurt by the release of the PSP, meaning these 2 handhelds are really opening new markets.

quetz67

Banned
marc^o^ said:
How many million units did the GBA still sold this year? And wasn't the DS facing tremendous competition in 2005? This tells us that the DS is
1) a 3rd pillar indeed
2) not hurt by the release of the PSP, meaning these 2 handhelds are really opening new markets.
GBA sells quite OK, because they dont stop releasing new editions and there are alway people that dont have the money for the latest stuff.

PSP isnt that much of a competition for DS (already said that myself) but what has that do with 3rd pillar? How about only PSP opening new markets (media player with game support)?

quetz67

Banned
malek4980 said:
What was the question that was asked?
What system do you plan to purchase in 2006? If so 15.5 percent are lying... :lol
What system are you most interested in.

OK, many japanese might be interested how badly the x360 bombs, I am too, still I wont buy one.

quetz67 said:
Really, is it that why the US GBA sales are still bigger then PSP and NDS sales?

donny2112

Ruud_Luiten said:
Really, is it that why the US GBA sales are still bigger then PSP and NDS sales?

Interesting note: As of the November NPD, GBA sales in the U.S. since March just passed up U.S. PSP sales. Expect that to increase with December's numbers.

psycho_snake

I felt I should just ask this here rather than make a thread about it, but does anyone know DS sale numbers and PSP sale numbers for each region?

quetz67

Banned
psycho_snake said:
I felt I should just ask this here rather than make a thread about it, but does anyone know DS sale numbers and PSP sale numbers for each region?
DS:

NA: 4 million (shipped? sold?)
JP: about 5.5 million (shipped and sold)
Europe: about 3.5 million (shipped? sold?)

PSP:

NA: 4 million (probably shipped)
JP: 2.8 million (sold)
EU: nobody knows, 800K in the UK, maybe about 3 million total

My guess for total: 13 million shipped for both with about 9-10 million for PSP and 12 million for DS sold through

donny2112

psycho_snake said:

See my post on the first page of this thread for DS numbers, here. You can probably add 400K to the Japan number, instead of my assumed 200K. U.S. Dec NPD and the last two weeks in Japan will be officially released next Thursday.

psycho_snake

Thanks a lot quetz and donny :D Do either of you have PSP sale number. I appreciate that you both helped me, but I was hoping for more accurate PSP sale numbers, rather than shipment numbers

donny2112

psycho_snake said:
Do either of you have PSP sale number. I appreciate that you both helped me, but I was hoping for more accurate PSP sale numbers, rather than shipment numbers

I have U.S. and Japan. Europe is fairly unknown, though anecdotal evidence suggests that it is close to the DS. The definition of "close" varying widely based on who says it. ;)

2.57 million - Japan (minus Dec 25-Jan 1) Media Create
2.52 million - U.S. (minus Dec) NPD

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Good god, that number is bigger than I originally thought. I never would have imagined the DS would do this well. Awesome job, Nintendo. :)

quetz67 said:
DS:

NA: 4 million (shipped? sold?)
JP: about 5.5 million (shipped and sold)
Europe: about 3.5 million (shipped? sold?)

PSP:

NA: 4 million (probably shipped)
JP: 2.8 million (sold)
EU: nobody knows, 800K in the UK, maybe about 3 million total

My guess for total: 13 million shipped for both with about 9-10 million for PSP and 12 million for DS sold through

Nintendo already specifically announced that they were SOLD, so you can delete your "shipped? sold?" nonsense. They went out of their way to label the sales SOLD.

By the way, post GBA sales for the year in all regions, too. I mean, if DS is simply stealing all of GBA's users, then GBA sales must be pretty close to 0.

Oh, wait a minute, GBA sold great, too. But that didn't stop DS from posting records left and right. There goes that theory.

I can say all of that without even mentioning PSP. Bring in PSP, which has sold 9 million to DS' 13 million. DS has outsold PSP by almost 50%, and that's WITH competition from the still-hot Game Boy!

As for your point about the GBA selling close to the same amount in its first year... it did that with NO COMPETITION. DS achieved BETTER sales in the face of the competing PSP, and a still-live GBA. Since you've established that no one buys a DS who doesn't have a GBA already, it's quite a feat for DS to do so well. I'm pretty sure GBA had a Pokemon release before it's second Christmas, too. DS has done what it has with few mainstream franchises.

Pimpwerx

Goddamn, the DS is doing awesome. The funny thing is the PSP isn't doing bad at all, with probably like 6-7M sold so far in the fiscal year, but the DS is just like a house on fire right now. Damn you non-games...damn you. ;) Sony might be about to drop the ball on the PSP. When the PS3 comes out, I don't think there'll be much leftover cash for holdouts like me who simply have no interest in ponying up the bucks for the PSP, regardless of how cool it is. Much like the iPod, I find the PSP grossly overpriced. Looks like there might not be any handheld gaming for me afterall. Good job Nintendo, this is the power of the encumbent, and unlike the console market, Nintendo doesn't look set to loose their grip on this one.

Just a random thought, but anyone else think Nintendo's owning the handheld market might pan out great for them in the long run? I mean, everything is going mobile these days. If/when handheld gaming overtakes console gaming (last year it definitely did), Nintendo looks set to reap the rewards. PEACE.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Saying the DS is selling well because it's a new Gameboy is a terrible excuse. Gameboy games are not the bread and butter of DS if you haven't noticed. DS will inherit most GBA users no doubt, specially when Pokemon hits(FFVII anyone?), but Gameboy is not a "Nintendo handheld" it's just Gameboy, a lot of early adopters did buy DS thinking of it as a new GB but the current success of the system doesn't rest in that at all.

If DS is a new GB so was Virtual Boy.

Donnie

HooDoo said:
3.5 million yet only 800K in England, maybe people will get UK is not so relevant once for good.

You do realise there are around 45 countries in Europe right? Yet the UK alone has 23% of the entire European DS sales. If that's what you call not so relivant then I don't know what is..

Donnie said:
You do realise there are around 45 countries in Europe right? Yet the UK alone has 23% of the entire European DS sales. If that's what you call not so relivant then I don't know what is..

We already had this discussion, you are absolutely right that there are a ton of countries in Europe, but 90%+ of the sales are from the EU-15. Still very impressive for the UK though, no doubt :)

Dalthien

Has anyone else taken notice of the staggering attach rate that Nintendogs has achieved in Europe?

1.6 million copies sold on a userbase of 3.5 million! That's a 46% attach rate, for a game that wasn't even a launch title (it wasn't released until October in Europe). I'm just absolutely blown away by that. I don't know if any other title has ever had this type of penetration on a system that was already above 3 million units. Maybe the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES, but I don't remember if that was a launch window title or not, and I don't have time to look it up at the moment.

Nonetheless - just phenomenal numbers.

Top Bottom