• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 Dead in IRA Attacks on Northern Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
iapetus said:
I'd suggest choosing the side where innocent people don't get to live in terror and run the risk of being killed. That requires you to stand against actions by people on all sides, but the good news is that you get to not be a shit.

+1. Your my new hero!

Yixian said:
If I have sympathy for the Palestinian kids whipped up into a furore and lead to do terrible things because both sides of conflict they've found themselves in have made the wrong decisions, whilst believing what they're doing is stupid and pointless, does that make me a sympathiser of islamic terrorism?

Do you need to read the thread title? We aren't talking about Gaza here.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Yixian said:
Resorting to insulting people? I had a guy wish infertility on me purely because like you he lacked the brain power to understand that I was coming at condemning RIRA from a different angle than he is used to.

Sorry, but when you get to the "everyone who disagrees with me does so because they're too stupid to understand me", you're right - you're not worth talking to.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
iapetus said:
Sorry, but when you get to the "everyone who disagrees with me does so because they're too stupid to understand me", you're right - you're not worth talking to.

Yixian
Banned

Damn! :lol

Can't mess with Iapetus by being a selfish rigid thinker.

aceface

Wouldn't repartition take away a huge swath of nationalist voters from Northern Ireland, ostensibly abandoning what nationalists did remain in Northern Ireland to the whims of the now larger Unionist majority?

Edit: oh he was banned? Guess I don't find out the answer to that question.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
aceface said:
Wouldn't repartition take away a huge swath of nationalist voters from Northern Ireland, ostensibly abandoning what nationalists did remain in Northern Ireland to the whims of the now larger Unionist majority?

So the best plan for Republicans would be to partition a swathe of Ireland in the name of the UK? :D

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Verano said:
Yixian
Banned

Damn! :lol

Can't mess with Iapetus by being a selfish rigid thinker.

this was pretty much written as soon as he made to pizza delivery guy comment.

Glad you banned him man.
I commented earlier, and only just got round to reading the whole of the thread.

But what a dumb ass.... You join the army and take a path of violence and therefore should expect to be met by violence?!?

I joined the forces for one reason . . . . there was frick all else to do, aside from work in a factory or in retail. I spent 4 years of my 6 1/2yrs of service at college learning precision engineering, tool making, carpentry, metalwork, optical science, engineering drawing and more as i became an Armourer.

I also enjoyed my time in Ireland, where i was out as pure support being in the REME, but i went out a few times, did some sentry duties e.t.c. and got to stop some idiots beating locals up who didn't agree with their cause.

Most troops are actually classed as peace keepers not violence mongers.
Most troops join the forces to take up a career
Most troops join the forces for the friends and to experience life

Terrorists who think they will bother politicians by taking a few soldiers out, show themselves to be bigger idiots than actually believing they will get what they want.

200 extremists opinions Vs Millions of peoples opinions . . . .Who wins??

aceface

iapetus said:
So the best plan for Republicans would be to partition a swathe of Ireland in the name of the UK? :D

Haha, indeed. Honestly the whole partition buisness was pretty shady when it went down but if the 7 decades of crap NI went through proved anything it's that partition is not changing. Not only is there a majority living in Northern Ireland that supports it, the Republic by and large wants nothing to do with the north. It seems like most people have finally realized this and are down for working out their issues peacefully. Which is a good thing.

kojacker

It's actually a little sad for me to read Yixian's posts, because it reminds me that this warped view is still out there and in a 19 year old too. I sort of forgot about it, and chalked it up to an older dying generation. Hopefully he'll get to experience more of Northern Ireland, and start to learn a bit more about his country, politics, and the value of life.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
aceface said:
Haha, indeed. Honestly the whole partition buisness was pretty shady when it went down

Oh, and not just when it went down. British forces were involved in some unpleasant shit a lot later than that too. But at the end of the day, a line has to be drawn under it somewhere, or both sides are always taking revenge for the last action by the other guy. The sane move is to stop the violence, then come to a civilised agreement on what happens next. Thankfully most people are in favour of that these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom