• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 Dead in IRA Attacks on Northern Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyBrad

Yixian said:
Incredibly the news wasn't 100% accurate in the minutes after the shooting happened. It's not offensive, more information comes to light >_>

Yet you posted this thread today when the condition of the two Pizza delivery guys has been known by everyone for days.

These were just two kids delivering Pizza. They didn't "run away" and graze their hands. They were gunned down (and are lucky to be alive) by mercilous deluded scumbags who are trying to carry on a "war" that 99.9999999999999999999999% of the population here DO NOT WANT

Yixian

Banned
JonnyBrad said:
a "war" that 99.9999999999999999999999% of the population here DO NOT WANT

Agreed.

See it's not that hard to make a post without failing at understanding my point ^

War = bad
Democracy = good

Simple enough now?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Yixian said:

i suggest people check out your deviantart - just incase they considered placing some misplaced credence in a 19 year old armchair revolutionary, desperately grasping for some sort of purpose or cause to follow.

Wes

venison crêpe
Yixian said:
One thing though, get a fucking move on in Scotland, if you manage independance then maybe just enough votes will swing round to Sinn Féin to sort this mess out before it gets any worse.

Seaking purely from an economic point of view, wouldn't it tank for Scotland if they left the UK? Don't know if it'd be as bad for NI if they unified but they'd still take a noticable hit too surely.

JayDubya

Banned
Yixian said:
Agreed.

See it's not that hard to make a post without failing at understanding my point ^

You don't want a revolution...

Yet, outside of the context of revolution, shooting the soldiers is unjust, yet you seem to think it is appropriate.

Granted I say this as someone living in a former part of the Empire with quite a bit of geographical distance between us. Bit easier to revolt - logistics and all.

Yixian

Banned
Wes said:
Seaking purely from an economic point of view, wouldn't it tank for Scotland if they left the UK? Don't know if it'd be as bad for NI if they unified but they'd still take a noticable hit too surely.

No wa near as bad as taking NI back would be tbh. Scotland has Silicon Glen and all that, lots of science.

JayDubya said:
You don't want a revolution...

Yet, outside of the context of revolution, shooting the soldiers is unjust, yet you seem to think it is appropriate.

Correct, revolution is not the right word for this situation at all. I might disagree with every single one of your opinions but at least you read people's fucking posts and comprehend them.

In a war of independence as well as a revolution killing soldiers has been regarded by history generally as being ok. The point these guys are trying to make but they can't quite articulate it is that it's no longer a war of any kind so that doesn't apply anymore.

To some extent I agree, the problem is, the war ended but the peace was flawed, you still had people on both sides for whom the situation hadn't changed at all. Which is why I don't know what people are so surprised about these killings for. Anyone with any knowledge of the region who enlisted in the British Army and deployed to NI should have expected it, it's their job.

The deaths are pointless I agree with you there. But if you're not up for a pointless death, wtf are you joining the British Army for? :lol

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Yixian said:
Mate, seriously, every time I see you post I'm hoping you make a point that can actually be replied to but you didn't say anything just now other than "you're wrong cos I said so" and then some shit about my reproductive system. Please try and make an actual point.
Here's the point once again. YOU are the problem with this country, imo if you support the murdering then you are just as bad as the people doing it. Just let go of your stupid hatred, you have the same opportunities here as everyone else. Also, and I'm only speaking fact here, not opinion, the catholic population is not going to gain a majority any time soon according to current birthing rates and a large number of them realise how much better off they are being part of the 5th richest nation in the world.

shuri

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Whoa, the IRA is still around and killing people?

Is it just me or does it seem like post-9/11 most of the non-M.E. terrorist/militant (I'm lumping them together) groups are in serious decline?
IRA, LTTE... I'm not sure about the Basques. And are groups like the EZLN, MRTA, and Shining Path even around anymore?
Being labelled as a terrorist is a death sentence these days.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Yixian said:
The only difference in opinion here is that you care that two British soldiers were killed. I don't. People need to stop pretending the situation isn't what it is. Give the peace process some fucking direction will you or we're all screwed.

Idiots like you give Irish people a bad name. With an attitude and disregard for human life lie you have, Sinn Fein and anyone with attitude will never EVER have the support of the people of the Republic of Ireland.

Believing "the struggle" is still going on & targetting and killing British soldiers, who were completely innocent, off-duty is a disgusting & cowardly act.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Wes said:

It would fuck things up for the Irish government and that would no doubt cause resentment towards the 6 counties. The North needs to stand up on its own legs first and make money without relying on England. I think my plan is good, reintroduce the counties one at a time. It would take time and money but better than going all in at once. Start with Fermanagh if only because it is the only county in the north that doesn't border Lough Neagh.

mAcOdIn

This independence thing, I'll never really understand it anymore.

I mean, for one thing, if the vast majority of the people aren't willing to fight for it, then it really seems like a bunch of psychopaths killing people. While I have no doubt that there's a lot of people in NI that think unification would be "cool" I don't know how many are actually willing to do jack shit about it. And what's the rest of Ireland want? Do they want NI as well?

I dunno, it just seems that in this modern world of western democracies being more or less the same I just don't see what fucking matters anymore. Your own rule these days is an illusion, chances are any new government wouldn't treat you any better or worse than the old you'd just tolerate it more since you could call it your own. Yawn, pretty boring.

I've been thinking about this rather recently, like if Canada took over the US, would I fight back? Probably not if it had already been decided, I mean why bother? They'd let me do pretty much what my current government does and restricts pretty much what my current one does so am I so attached to a name or a flag that I'd fight for that alone? And on the flip side there's things about this government I absolutely hate, should I run around killing cops and soldiers? If not me alone, then how many supporters do I need to make that a cause? I personally think it's time as individuals that we realize there's no solution that will make everyone happy and further I think these throwbacks to old cultures is becoming rather archaic in this time of globalization and freedom of movement, might as well just start working within the system since any new system will fuck you over just as much as the last.

So coming from someone pretty ignorant of the solution is there something tangible to be gained really? They taking your wives? What's going on?

Yixian

Banned
NinjaFridge said:
It would fuck things up for the Irish government and that would no doubt cause resentment towards the 6 counties. The North needs to stand up on its own legs first and make money without relying on England. I think my plan is good, reintroduce the counties one at a time. It would take time and money but better than going all in at once. Start with Fermanagh if only because it is the only county in the north that doesn't border Lough Neagh.

Exactly. I don't know about one at a time but we're looking at 4 here, right? So yeah maybe not all 4 at once. Tyrone and Fermanagh for sure first.

And repartition is a serious likely outcome. The problem is the peace process isn't going anywhere, it's just frozen still. I wish someone would at least raise the idea of repartition at Stormont, let people know that they understand something has to change. If you put it up for vote in Tyrone for eg. it's pretty obvious it'd go through.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
mAcOdIn said:
I mean, for one thing, if the vast majority of the people aren't willing to fight for it, then it really seems like a bunch of psychopaths killing people.

No, this is not what it seems like. It's what it is.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Yixian said:
Exactlt. I don't know about one at a time but we're looking at 4 here, right? So yeah maybe not all 4 at once. Tyrone and Fermanagh for sure first.

Sean Quinn could probably float Fermanagh for a while by himself :lol

JayDubya

Banned
Yixian said:
Correct, revolution is not the right word for this situation at all. I might disagree with every single one of your opinions but at least you read people's fucking posts and comprehend them.

A courtesy I try to extend to others in the hopes they will do the same.

In a war of independence as well as a revolution killing soldiers has been regarded by history generally as being ok. The point these guys are trying to make but they can't quite articulate it is that it's no longer a war of any kind so that doesn't apply anymore.

Indeed. Put simply, the political ideologues I identify with nakedly advocate revolution to overthrow bad governments and often worried about the state becoming too large and tyrannical and morphing away from a Republic. I can sympathize with revolution; revolution against Great Britain perhaps more so (though clearly a different animal, and clearly your gripes are different, if you identify with Sinn Fein)... But... Well, we'll get to it below.

To some extent I agree, the problem is, the war ended but the peace was flawed, you still had people on both sides for whom the situation hadn't changed at all. Which is why I don't know what people are so surprised about these killings for. Anyone with any knowledge of the region who enlisted in the British Army and deployed to NI should have expected it, it's their job.

Expect to die, though? Well, it's a risk, certainly, but if you're not in a state of armed revolutionary conflict over a just concern... well, the soldier has a right to his life the same as anyone else.

The deaths are pointless I agree with you there. But if you're not up for a pointless death, wtf are you joining the British Army for? :lol

I suppose there's a myriad of reasons; when discussing different ideologies, who knows - maybe they thought trying to protect people from a terrorist organization wasn't pointless. Maybe they just wanted a paycheck. I don't know. But they are dead, and it doesn't seem particularly just.

Yixian

Banned
JayDubya said:
I suppose there's a myriad of reasons; when discussing different ideologies, who knows - maybe they thought trying to protect people from a terrorist organization wasn't pointless. Maybe they just wanted a paycheck. I don't know. But they are dead, and it doesn't seem particularly just.

I don't know about being unjust. I'm a pacifist, but also another thing that you're probably a fan of, a realist, it would be self-righteous to condemn every fighter in a revolution/war of independence for taking up arms. I believe that almost every time things can be achieved the non-violent way but I'm not about to call Nelson Mandela a monster for ordering bomb attacks on British troops.

If you take up arms you're entering a different arena of human civilisation. Whether you're the RIRA member of the British solider, you're a part of industry of death and you should expect to be attacked.

My fucking heart goes out to the Polish guy though, he's not the one walking around in military combats or firing indiscriminately into the night. Whatever he believes is best for Ireland, he's not taken up arms over it so all the sympathy people here have towards those soldiers should be directed ENTIRELY to him.

Yixian

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Democracy = good? Then why do you have a hammer and sickle as your avatar?

Dude, I don't have time to teach you about politics, seriously. Go to the library, read wikipedia or something.

xbhaskarx

ghst said:
i suggest people check out your deviantart - just incase they considered placing some misplaced credence in a 19 year old armchair revolutionary, desperately grasping for some sort of purpose or cause to follow.

:lol
Okay, I'm leaving this thread as I have better things to do than reading the ramblings of a confused 19 year old.

navanman

Yixian said:
My fucking heart goes out to the Polish guy though, he's not the one walking around in military combats or firing indiscriminately into the night. Whatever he believes is best for Ireland, he's not taken up arms over it so all the sympathy people here have towards those soldiers should be directed ENTIRELY to him.

Your mindset is completely fucked up. You are still seeing N.I as "occuped state" and hence the British Army who are an "occupying force" in your opinion are a legitimate target.

Maybe thats the mindset of N.I Catholics who feel left behind by Republic, and its probably true in that 95% of people in the South couldn't give a fanny about ANYONE in N.I.
All we want is cheap shopping and sterling in the North so we can buy loads of shit off you all.

xbhaskarx

Yixian said:
Dude, I don't have time to teach you about politics, seriously. Go to the library, read wikipedia or something.

You're going to teach me about politics? I learned plenty about politics when I got my PoliSci degree. I have no doubt I have read far more about Communism than you. Hell my avatar is of a Communist, although I admire only his art and not his politics.
You are a 19 year old kid. Why don't YOU go to the library and read about Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Castro... You can start with Robert Conquest's The Great Terror.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Roders5 said:
Here's the point once again. YOU are the problem with this country, imo if you support the murdering then you are just as bad as the people doing it. Just let go of your stupid hatred, you have the same opportunities here as everyone else.

again, http://yixian.deviantart.com/. says it all.

the guy is totally enamored with the idea of an armed uprising. i'm sure he could tell you at length about how a marxist society would benefit us all too.

there will always be kids like him in comfortable western nations. youth that are so priviledged that they develop a desperate desire to be part to something kinetic. something to stave off the pang of social emasculation. they just want to change things.

they drown themselves in their own blinkered ideals and literature, resulting in the kind of batshit naive statements that yixian displays here.

navanman

xbhaskarx said:
You're going to teach me about politics? I learned plenty about politics when I got my PoliSci degree. You are a 19 year old kid.

Hey, it was cool to hate the Brits when I was a kid. Then I grew up and saw how much of a hypocrite I was and how much British stuff we like, watch anyway from sports, TV to films, etc..

mAcOdIn

While I do think that soldiers are an acceptable target:

a) I do think the manner in which they were killed was cowardly especially without an open declaration of war type thing. For that alone I would already condemn those losers and anyone who associates with them as these are men first and soldiers second and as such deserved a mans death.

b) Attacking the pizza guys really just puts it over the top and makes the perpetrator your average run of the mill psychopath that would probably have killed for anything but since he found some stupid fringe group believes he's killing for something bigger than himself.

c) That means this small group of idiots doesn't give a rats ass about what it's people want and are intent of changing the world for their small little group. Fuck them. They're not doing it for any real country, as they don't feel their own countrymens opinions mean shit.

Walshicus

navanman said:
Your mindset is completely fucked up. You are still seeing N.I as "occuped state" and hence the British Army who are an "occupying force" in your opinion are a legitimate target.

Maybe thats the mindset of N.I Catholics who feel left behind by Republic, and its probably true in that 95% of people in the South couldn't give a fanny about ANYONE in N.I.
All we want is cheap shopping and sterling in the North so we can buy loads of shit off you all.
Bingo. The UK and Ireland are as close 'friends' as states can be these days. The idea that either side really cares about NI as an integral component of their territory is laughable. The only reason the whole mess has dragged out as long as it has is that there are enough 'Republicans' to feel sidelined but too many 'Unionists' to provide a democratic mandate for separation.

Frankly everyone would be better off by just disowning Ulster and letting it sort its own mess out, and it's a testament to both the British and Irish government that that hasn't happened.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
DefectiveReject said:
I served in N-I for 6 months some 10years ago, whilst it was still violent.
Hope it doesn't get back that way

You can get a bullet in the head for all Yixian cares, you know.

Roders5 said:
Here's the point once again. YOU are the problem with this country, imo if you support the murdering then you are just as bad as the people doing it. Just let go of your stupid hatred, you have the same opportunities here as everyone else. Also, and I'm only speaking fact here, not opinion, the catholic population is not going to gain a majority any time soon according to current birthing rates and a large number of them realise how much better off they are being part of the 5th richest nation in the world.

Go Roder goooo.

Tbh I don't think theres much chance of things going back to the way they were, the realIRA have so little support and after 20 years of killing eachother nobody is up for it anymore. Shit Gerry Kelly was on TV talking about it and I agreed with pretty much everything he said and heres a guy that has told victims of crime not to go to the police before.

I still would love the Irish government to say we don't want murderers to be part of our nation, just something to pull the rug out from under the feet of any republicans thinking killing people is actually going to achieve anything. It smacks of desperation to a degree.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
xbhaskarx said:
Whoa, the IRA is still around and killing people?

Is it just me or does it seem like post-9/11 most of the non-M.E. terrorist/militant (I'm lumping them together) groups are in serious decline?
IRA, LTTE... I'm not sure about the Basques. And are groups like the EZLN, MRTA, and Shining Path even around anymore?

The LTTE has been as active as ever.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
MrPing1000 said:
I still would love the Irish government to say we don't want murderers to be part of our nation, just something to pull the rug out from under the feet of any republicans thinking killing people is actually going to achieve anything.

I'd like the UK to do a deal with Ireland whereby Ireland provides soldiers to go after terrorists in NI.

Sir Fragula said:
... it's a testament to both the British and Irish government that that hasn't happened.
A testament to what about them?

Sorry, I liked your post, I'm just curious what direction this last part was meant to take :)

Yixian

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
While I do think that soldiers are an acceptable target:

a) I do think the manner in which they were killed was cowardly especially without an open declaration of war type thing. For that alone I would already condemn those losers and anyone who associates with them as these are men first and soldiers second and as such deserved a mans death.

b) Attacking the pizza guys really just puts it over the top and makes the perpetrator your average run of the mill psychopath that would probably have killed for anything but since he found some stupid fringe group believes he's killing for something bigger than himself.

c) That means this small group of idiots doesn't give a rats ass about what it's people want and are intent of changing the world for their small little group. Fuck them. They're not doing it for any real country, as they don't feel their own countrymens opinions mean shit.

a) You've being playing too much Total War if you think there's any honor to it. Whether you're armed or unarmed, taking the violent route when there's a peaceful option makes anyone involved cowardly, there's no difference.

b) I don't think they deliberately targeted the pizza guy... it was disgusting he was hurt but I'm fairly sure they didn't intend to kill him. Then again collateral damage is almost as big a sin as murder anyway.

c) They are almost exactly like an Islamic terrorist group in Palestine. They were born of a clumsy and flawed deal that resulted in the creation of Northern Ireland, and have elevated the idea of a United Ireland to religious levels. Just like there's no real solution in Isreal/Palestine there's not one in Ireland, the Brits just came along and pushed the pause button for 10 years, so this happened.

Don't get me wrong I hate the RIRA as much as I hate loyalist parimilliatries and Hamas, but there more to all of these groups than they are "psychopaths".

But please actually listen to my point:

I have two points here, first of all if you enlist in the any kind of army you've taken a road of violence and should expect to be met by violence. The second point is that despite this, the RIRA are idiots that continually fail to learn from histories lessons, it didn't work for Ireland before, it's not going to work now and people both sides of the border are just getting sick of it.

But the people in here that are cool with the situation as it is really need to wise up. When Ireland was partitioned the unionists took the biggest chunk they possibly could get away with, there was nothing fair about it. You complain that it would be unfair to make the loyalist population live in the republic of Ireland, but that's exactly what you did to the republicans that live in the 4 counties of Northern Ireland with nationalist majorities.

Those counties still have nationalist majorities, and yet the peace process does nothing to solve this situation. So instead of just calling terrorism and leaving it at that, stop making the same mistake the Americans are making with the Middle East - you can sort out the unjust situations that lead a small number of people to commit violent acts without being seen to condone them.

Repartition Ireland, the unionists can complain all they like that it would more than halve their territory, but democracy has to work both ways, so far all it's been is the south sitting and waiting for Britain and the North to agree to actually do something.

navanman

iapetus said:
I'd like the UK to do a deal with Ireland whereby Ireland provides soldiers to go after terrorists in NI.

Now that is something I could agree with as an Irish person. It would really show if the RIRA would be willing to kill "members of armed forces" of Republic seeing as the Brirish are legitimate targets to them.

Yixian

Banned
iapetus said:

I would agree to that.

navanman said:
It would really show if the RIRA would be willing to kill "members of armed forces" of Republic seeing as the Brirish are legitimate targets to them.

Dude, they wouldn't think twice. Look at Hamas. Ireland was a template to Palestine and now Palestine is a template to Ireland. The members of RIRA would kill anyone.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Yixian said:
b) I don't think they deliberately targeted the pizza guy...

I mean, it's not like I bolded the relevant part of the article or anything. Maybe if I underline it as well this time:

Telegraph said:
In a statement, the paper said: "The caller said he made no apologies for targeting British soldiers while they continued to occupy Ireland and also said he made no apologies for targeting the pizza delivery men who, he said, were collaborating with the British by servicing them."

Yixian said:
c) They are almost exactly like an Islamic terrorist group in Palestine.

Yup, that's a great comparison. The barriers the English put up to segregate the Northern Irish, the continued creation of English settlements in Northern Ireland, the frequent airstrikes by the English on Northern Irish civilian targets, these all make them exactly like an Islamic terrorist group in Palestine.

No, wait...

(And I don't condone Islamic terrorist groups in Palestine either...)

Yixian said:
Those counties still have nationalist majorities, and yet the peace process does nothing to solve this situation. So instead of just calling terrorism and leaving it at that, stop making the same mistake the Americans are making with the Middle East - you can sort out the unjust situations that lead a small number of people to commit violent acts without being seen to condone them.

No, call it terrorism and leave it at that. That is what it is, and it is reprehensible.

Meanwhile there is a democratic process in place that can lead to change if people want it. Your insistence on conflating terrorist action with political process is the problem.

Yixian

Banned
iapetus said:
Yup, that's a great comparison. The barriers the English put up to segregate the Northern Irish, the continued creation of English settlements in Northern Ireland, the frequent airstrikes by the English on Northern Irish civilian targets, these all make them exactly like an Islamic terrorist group in Palestine.

The situation isn't as hot as it was in the past, but the two situations have long been thought as comparable. Obviously right now it's kinda of like Hamas suddenly going ape shit after a decade long peace process, but we're comparing the mindsets and origins of the two groups.

Instead of deciding you disagree with me, and then reading what I say, try reading what I say, and then making a rational response to it. Just an idea. Reading your posts it's like you think you're posting in a different thread.

Meanwhile there is a democratic process in place that can lead to change if people want it. Your insistence on conflating terrorist action with political process is the problem.

Jesus christ, there is no point with you is there? I have not supported RIRA once in this entire thread, you are such a fucking simpleton. JayDubya can get his head around this, why can't you?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Interesting topic. I've learned alot about Northern Ireland and all that stuff. I could have used some of this information back in High School, when I had to do a report entitled: "Northern Ireland: Delivering Pizzas!"

But seriously, it's an interesting debate. Not sure I agree with the callousness of "Good, shoot Soldiers DEAD" but to be able to read accounts of all sides of the argument from people that know it first hand. And that I'm 3 or 4 generations away from Ireland...or Scotland.

So, which side of the revolution should I Choose!

Walshicus

B-B-Bomba! said:
A testament to what about them?

Sorry, I liked your post, I'm just curious what direction this last part was meant to take :)
A testament to their joint commitment to the people of Northern Ireland.

Neither Britain nor the Irish republic gain anything by grabbing hold of the province. It's not rich, or strategically vital.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Yixian said:
The situation isn't as hot as it was in the past, but the two situations have long been thought as comparable. Obviously right now it's kinda of like Hamas suddenly going ape shit after a decade long peace process, but we're comparing the mindsets and origins of the two groups.

Instead of deciding you disagree with me, and then reading what I say, try reading what I say, and then making a rational response to it. Just an idea.

I read what you say, and my response is perfectly rational, thanks. Wish I could say the same about you.

Yixian said:
Jesus christ, there is no point with you is there? I have not supported RIRA once in this entire thread, you are such a fucking simpleton. JayDubya can get his head around this, why can't you?

Ironically you haven't understood what I said, and you haven't even understood what you said, and now you're resorting to insulting people for disagreeing with you.

Yixian

Banned
Lonestar said:
Interesting topic. I've learned alot about Northern Ireland and all that stuff. I could have used some of this information back in High School, when I had to do a report entitled: "Northern Ireland: Delivering Pizzas!"

But seriously, it's an interesting debate. Not sure I agree with the callousness of "Good, shoot Soldiers DEAD" but to be able to read accounts of all sides of the argument from people that know it first hand. And that I'm 3 or 4 generations away from Ireland...or Scotland.

Choose democracy and repartition Ireland leaving 2 counties to the unionists that may or may not down the road join the republic, and whichever happens so be it?

iapetus said:
Ironically you haven't understood what I said, and you haven't even understood what you said, and now you're resorting to insulting people for disagreeing with you.

Resorting to insulting people? I had a guy wish infertility on me purely because like you he lacked the brain power to understand that I was coming at condemning RIRA from a different angle than he is used to.

Honestly iapetus, just stop replying.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Lonestar said:

I'd suggest choosing the side where innocent people don't get to live in terror and run the risk of being killed. That requires you to stand against actions by people on all sides, but the good news is that you get to not be a shit.

Yixian said:

Instead of deciding you disagree with me, and then reading what I say, try reading what I say, and then making a rational response to it. Just an idea. Reading your posts it's like you think you're posting in a different thread.

Perhaps the word "sympathizer" is a more accurate description of your views in this case. And I'd add that we can all communicate effectively without throwing around insults. Try it, you'll see.

Yixian

Banned
Solideliquid said:
Perhaps the word "sympathizer" is a more accurate description of your views in this case. And I'd add that we can all communicate effectively without throwing around insults. Try it, you'll see.

If I have sympathy for the Palestinian kids whipped up into a furore and lead to do terrible things because both sides of conflict they've found themselves in have made the wrong decisions, whilst believing what they're doing is stupid and pointless, does that make me a sympathiser of islamic terrorism?

Yixian

Banned
iapetus said:
I'd suggest choosing the side where innocent people don't get to live in terror and run the risk of being killed.

In other words choose the option that lets the people of northern ireland decide where the border lies instead of forcing things to stay as they are leading to conflict. Holy shit iapetus agrees with me but he just doesn't know it, lawlz!

JayDubya

Banned
I'm not sure I get my head around it as well as you think, either. :p

I was more or less just asking questions and drawing analogies to try and understand your point of view.

It does seem, somewhat, that you're justifying or apologizing somewhat for what is vigilantism at best and terrorism at worst. Believe it or not, I've got a pretty strong sense of fair play - revolution and a declaration of war could make shooting soldiers just; this is not just at all, and I wouldn't say they deserved death or should have expected death or what not.

Flashback to 1774 or so - I wouldn't call stabbing a redcoat out in the streets of Boston in the back a just action. I wouldn't say the redcoat should expect it or deserved it. And yet I'd agree entirely with using guerrilla tactics employed to ambush and kill as many of them as possible scant few years later.

And maybe you agree, I'm not sure. I'm just getting a "fortified_concept" vibe here.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
iapetus said:
I'd suggest choosing the side where innocent people don't get to live in terror and run the risk of being killed. That requires you to stand against actions by people on all sides, but the good news is that you get to not be a shit.

Add a Dental Plan, and I'm in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom