• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 Rock Season Seven |OT| These were the best days of my flerm

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Amy Sedaris cameo... amazing

Babalu.

great episode. great season so far.

I can't believe they are getting rid of this show.

Can anyone sum up why? I've always watched 30 rock and know its ending, but I don't really follow news about stuff like this or the whole situation with community hiring new people or whatever.

Why is 30 rock being canceled? Is it just getting crappy ratings or what? And all the jabs at NBC are like, approved by NBA right? Or are they really talking shit to NBC?

Maddocks

wow....the black transformer jazz endorsing rom-nizzle was probably the best moment for me. I had to pause it because I was dying from laughing. Captured bayformers perfectly.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This season is incredible. It is absolute top-of-their-game shizzle.

If its going to go out on a high, then this would be the season. But I need Alec Baldwin to be on television just as himself ever since that Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee he did. Incredible comic mind.

"How dare you say that in front of the pile"

lololol episode was great. Jack's money stuff was awesome, loved Jack and Tracy breaking down the election and Jenna being the deciding factor.

Eidan

Can anyone sum up why? I've always watched 30 rock and know its ending, but I don't really follow news about stuff like this or the whole situation with community hiring new people or whatever.

Why is 30 rock being canceled? Is it just getting crappy ratings or what? And all the jabs at NBC are like, approved by NBA right? Or are they really talking shit to NBC?

30 Rock never got the best ratings. NBC really kept it around because of Lorne Michaels' relationship with Tina Fey, and the fact that the show was a critical and award show darling. When Modern Family came in an started winning all of the Emmys that used to go to 30 Rock, it was only a matter time. At least the showrunners were given a heads up that the end was coming, so they could end things the way they wanted.

ivysaur12

Banned
If/When 30 Rock, Community, Parks & Rec, and Happy Endings all end/are canceled at the end of the season, it will be the end of happiness.

Babalu.

If/When 30 Rock, Community, Parks & Rec, and Happy Endings all end/are canceled at the end of the season, it will be the end of happiness.

You just said pretty much every show I watch on all the regular channels (2-13). Besides the news or sports, I don't watch anything else on those channels.

Like Eidan said, it gets awful ratings now and was kept around strictly as a "prestige" comedy for a while. It's fine--six and a half seasons is a really, really solid run for a show like this.

NBC doesn't care about the show making fun of NBC because A) no one's watching, B) it's just a comedy, and C) it's common knowledge NBC is deep in the shitter.

big ander

Jesus was this funny. The Tracy/Otter, Liz locking her mouth and then eating the key because "shrimp!", "uncork a brew-skyy?" "kazap! blinky blinky blinky", Lutz's pumpkin patch obsession and his grand-nephew Kellen Lutz from Twilight, liz's original Leonard Nimoy, surprise Don Cheadle followed by Grizz and Dot Com's amazing reactions, "this fire bores me", "I just came in to see how my friend's doing, but obviously he went back into his mouse hole so uh...how are you", and finally the excellent very ending ("web in my mouth!") followed by the teaser.

can't wait to see part two.

NBC isn't being vicious to 30 Rock at all. like others have said, they let the show survive with low ratings for a long long time. 7 seasons is bonkers. And on top of that, they're letting the show go out on its own terms with a sure end date. It's being treated wonderfully by the net.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I was just coming to post that — thanks for taking care of it.

Too bad for fans of Animal Practice, I guess. This also means that the ratings will be comically low, even moreso than usual. That doesn't really matter at this point, though.

B.K.

Nice of NBC to recognize that an election episode needs to air this week.

Or they don't care about 30 Rock anymore and just want to get the final season out of the way as fast as they can.

Edit: I just realized that that means 30 Rock will be on at 8:00 tomorrow night. That means it's on the same time as The Great Pumpkin. Hard choice. I watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown every year.

vatstep

Edit: I just realized that that means 30 Rock will be on at 8:00 tomorrow night. That means it's on the same time as The Great Pumpkin. Hard choice. I watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown every year.
Me too. Also, ABC sucks for airing it on Halloween night. Yeah, I'm sure lots of people will just DVR it, but it's just not the same when you've been watching it annually your entire life. I'll be at home, but many people will not.

big ander

Or they don't care about 30 Rock anymore and just want to get the final season out of the way as fast as they can.

...or they do care about it? Like, we have no evidence to suggest they hate the show. They've given it so many more seasons than it deserved based on ratings and have held it as a flagship comedy for years and are, in this specific instance, acting in its best interest.

Net-bashing gets so ridiculous. You're really stretching for it. I guess I admire the commitment.

Agreed. I can't think of any other major network that would have continued with 30 Rock or Community given the awful viewer numbers. The only reason some of these great shows survive is because they are on NBC. Arrested Development would have survived a lot longer on NBC, imo.

beat

Agreed. I can't think of any other major network that would have continued with 30 Rock or Community given the awful viewer numbers. The only reason some of these great shows survive is because they are on NBC. Arrested Development would have survived a lot longer on NBC, imo.

This wasn't charity. NBC developed slews of really bad sitcoms too over the last seven years. They actually got worse ratings than 30 Rock et al. NBC would absolutely have replaced 30 Rock if they had somehow found ratings success with -- I can't even think of what was the Animal Practice of four years ago.

This wasn't charity. NBC developed slews of really bad sitcoms too over the last seven years. They actually got worse ratings than 30 Rock et al. NBC would absolutely have replaced 30 Rock if they had somehow found ratings success with -- I can't even think of what was the Animal Practice of four years ago.

NBC is invested in comedies on Thursdays for whatever reason. I think if they didnt have The Office anchoring the night for the past 5 or so years, they might have ditched it all and tried something else. 30 Rock and Community are charity of sorts. 30 Rock earned them a ton of awards, and there's some cachet that comes along with that. It's clear they're heading in more of a CBS direction with their intention to to go multi-camera, live audience next season. I guess that bodes well for the god-awful Whitney. Blech.

EulaCapra

Just caught the most recent episode. Holy crap, people LOVED this episode? I love 30 Rock and this has got to be one of the weaker episodes ever. Jenna's story was fine, but Liz and Jack's story was soooooo bad. SNL can get away with throwaway weekly jokes but that shit doesn't fly with me nor should they with 30 Rock. All I kept thinking was all of these timely political throwaway jokes will be moot when you watch it again next year on DVD.

Lijik

I still cant believe Animal Practice is an actual thing.
It feels like some huge expensive metajoke to lend credence to 30 Rock's "Jack is tanking NBC on purpose" plot

beat

NBC is invested in comedies on Thursdays for whatever reason.
The reason is that two decades of winning Thursday nights with sitcoms plus a L&O at 10 made the night the biggest moneymaker for NBC. And now CBS is eating NBC's lunch on Thursdays.

But yeah, as you say, in these dark days for NBC, the Office was a rare success and that kinda meant their best bet for that night was to grow other sitcoms around it.

Thanks for the heads up. My grid isn't showing it, so I guess I'll manually program the DVR.

New episode tonight:
Recognizing Jenna's political influence, Liz and Jack stage a debate to win her followers; Kenneth looks to Tracy for voting advice; Pete tries to recreate the magic of the last election.

What annoys me most is that we probably won't see Tina Fey anytime soon on a regular base on TV and neither Best Baldwin. I guess Tina won't go back as regular to SNL - that show could really need her right now.

What annoys me most is that we probably won't see Tina Fey anytime soon on a regular base on TV and neither Best Baldwin. I guess Tina won't go back as regular to SNL - that show could really need her right now.

In a recent interview she talked about another show she may be doing. They asked if she would act in it, and she said she'd have a hard time not to since it's the only way to get out of the writer's room once in awhile.

big ander

In a recent interview she talked about another show she may be doing. They asked if she would act in it, and she said she'd have a hard time not to since it's the only way to get out of the writer's room once in awhile.
Huh, I hadn't kept up on anyone's post-show plans but I would have expected Fey to dive more fully into a film career. Interesting. Wonder what Baldwin will do.

someday

Banned
Thank you guys for keeping us posted on this. I would never have known it was tonight. I only recently started watching this. Always meant to get into it but finally watched the first season on Netflix last year and fell in love. Definitely one of the best network shows ever. While I'm glad she's planning on doing another show after this one, I will miss Liz Lemon and Jack Donaghe (have no idea how to spell it) as a comic duo. Alec Baldwin has been perfect, although I have to admit he seems a bit distant this season.

vatstep

Lots of Pete in that episode. I approve.

Liz's wall-jump killed me.

Amazing episode. I'll miss this show when it's gone, but what a season to go out on.

This show has more jokes in 30 minutes than other comedies do in their entire seasons and damn near 100% of them hit.

B.K.

They're wasting too much time. The season is almost half way over already. They need to start working up to the finale.

They're wasting too much time. The season is almost half way over already. They need to start working up to the finale.

I don't think so. 30 Rock is a pure joke machine. I mean, what loose ends do they really need to tie up? None to satisfy me as a viewer.

Loved it. Great season so far.

Loved:

- Tracy Lords Middle School

- I know Scottie Pippen. I own a Fudruckers with Scottie Pippen. You, sir, look like Scottie Pippen

- Yeah, but he(Dick Clark) wasn't one!

- Eww your drink spilled on me and now I'm drunk

30 Rock never got the best ratings. NBC really kept it around because of Lorne Michaels' relationship with Tina Fey, and the fact that the show was a critical and award show darling. When Modern Family came in an started winning all of the Emmys that used to go to 30 Rock, it was only a matter time. At least the showrunners were given a heads up that the end was coming, so they could end things the way they wanted.
While that stuff is somewhat true, it really came down to the actors. Everyone costs more the longer the show runs and above all else, Baldwin was done with the show. Without him, after this long, it just makes sense to end it.

xenist

"We've lived in this country ever since we went berserk and murdered everyone at Roanoke."

And Tracy's speech was great.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
- I know Scottie Pippen. I own a Fudruckers with Scottie Pippen. You, sir, look like Scottie Pippen
That shit killed me. One of the few times I literally did have to pause a show because I was laughing so damn hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom