• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30min PSVR technical presentation (Feb.2016)

Watching the presentation again and god damn Richard Marks has big arms now...

Does he have some kind of secret VR work out gym or something? He looks way more built up than I remember.

TheBear

Just so I understand correctly, the only physical connection between the HMD and the console will be through the HDMI port, so no USB connection is required?

Also, seeing him harp on about move controllers already in the market place seems like a good indication there'll be a non-bundled version (I hope)

nib95

Banned
Vive and Oculus Rift are 1080x1200 per eye, pentile oled @ 90hz.
PSVR is 960x1080 per eye, RGB oled @ 120hz.

Wait what, PSVR is RGB OLED? Theoretically it might have cleaner/more accurate looking sub pixels because of it. That said, Pentile has come a long way these days.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That looks terrible. Completely immersion breaking.

People who have used VR, is this as bad as it looks in the pic? Does it ruin the experience?

you kind of tune it out pretty quickly. With the DK1 (didn't have a DK2) I found the screendoor was less of an issue than the simple lack of clarity due to lack of resolution. If it wasn't really close to you, it was just a mush of pixels.

Eww, front USB socket used? Wonder if the bandwidth is enough to send the audio data that way. Might be simpler than using HDMI as a data channel - not really familiar with how flexible HDMI can be in that regard. Might just use the USB for sending headset movement data back

I'm still hoping that Sony use the AUX socket currently used for the camera (which is a USB3 with a custom connector) to connect the PU box, and provide a connection for the camera via a mini hub on the connector or PU box somehow.

I'll be disappointed if there will have to be permanent trailing cables to the front and back of the PS4.

hesido

People who have used VR, is this as bad as it looks in the pic? Does it ruin the experience?

I haven't used VR, but if you can imagine yourself behind a screen door attached to your face while playing, it should not be immersion breaking at all.

Macrotus

PSVR is extremely close to being on par with Vive and the Rift w/ a gtx970 based on the tests I've done.

This is interesting.
I'm guessing the hardware which goes between the headset and PS4 is doing some kind of processing.

The box on the right side of the photo
v9yxtWH.jpg

Just so I understand correctly, the only physical connection between the HMD and the console will be through the HDMI port, so no USB connection is required?

There is one HDMI and one USB from PS4 to PU box.

The USB carries sensor info and the video stream for asymmetric social screen.

There is also one HDMI and one USB from the PU box to the headset, but they appear to be using custom connectors and a merged cable which only splits at the PU box end.

DrKelpo

Banned
Is it wise to invest in some move controllers while they're relatively cheap or can we assume there will be better ones when psvr launches? Like with wii motion plus..

TheBear

There is one HDMI and one USB from PS4 to PU box.

The USB carries sensor info and the video stream for asymmetric social screen.

There is also one HDMI and one USB from the PU box to the headset, but they appear to be using custom connectors and a merged cable which only splits at the PU box end.

Thanks for clearing that up, didn't think it would possible to just use HDMI. Sounds a bit unneat though. Why the hell did they not put USB in the back of the console!

Thanks for clearing that up, didn't think it would possible to just use HDMI. Sounds a bit unneat though. Why the hell did they not put USB in the back of the console!

Yes, two front USBs seems like a bad decision now.

The AUX socket at the back is a USB3 in disguise, so I hold out some faint hope that they may be able to piggyback the camera and PU box off that.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
hesido said:
2d, as in the re-projection doesn't account for depth in the source, according to the sources so far.
As mentioned, neither does TW.

The point is ultimately to keep things simple and effective for its intended purpose (hiding latency). Smarter reprojection methods are possible but have many other tradeoffs (not just computational costs), and ultimately get increasingly less important for software running at 90 or above.

This is interesting.
I'm guessing the hardware which goes between the headset and PS4 is doing some kind of processing.

The box on the right side of the photo
v9yxtWH.jpg

This has been disproven multiple times, in this thread's OP's link included.

The breakout box unwraps video to be shown on TV, and does 3D audio. everything video related for PSVR is done exclusively on the PS4

Macrotus

This has been disproven multiple times, in this thread's OP's link included.

The breakout box unwraps video to be shown on TV, and does 3D audio. everything video related for PSVR is done exclusively on the PS4

Oh really? I haven't read through the thread yet.
Thanks for correcting me.

CS_Dan

It was worse on the DK1 and I would argue yes, it did. Haven't tried the later models though.

Are you suggesting that the $300 DK2 is representative of the $600 final screen?

It's amazing how you always try to spin messages in a way to support your 'consoles-are-shit-PC-master-race' blah. And I'm pretty sure I have seen you in multiple PSVR threads already.

Lister

Banned
It's amazing how you always try to spin messages in a way to support your 'consoles-are-shit-PC-master-race' blah. And I'm pretty sure I have seen you in multiple PSVR threads already.

I was just looking for clarification. My bad i didnt get that he was jsut showing an example to someone.

Excellent pc master race slam by the way. How adult of you. Do i call your momma fat now? Sorry, i haven't done this since i was like 12.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Vive had the least noticeable SD effect in my experience.

damn. Sure I'd read comments saying the OR was the best headset in terms of comfort and image quality. I'm sure they're close but your comment makes me wary again when trying to choose between OR and Vive (Getting PSVR as well)

SMOK3Y

Generous Member

I have a DK1 & DK2 you do look past it once you've immersed but funnily enough i found it more annoying & noticeable in the DK2

doby

Nice tip!, I'm going to go to cex tomorrow, would I need a navigation controller as well or just 2 moves?

Nav controller cant be tracked in 3d space so I would think not, I don't think any PSVR demos have used it so far.

Game have used moves for £5.99 free shipping. Stock isn't always available but it's probably the cheapest you'll find one. I got one last week.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Personally I thought that looked pretty laggy, however I wonder if that is an issue with the signal to the TV more than the signal to the VR unit.

The signal to the TV will always necessarily be more laggy, going through unwarping processing in the box and the TV's own latency.

whitehawk

Banned
damn. Sure I'd read comments saying the OR was the best headset in terms of comfort and image quality. I'm sure they're close but your comment makes me wary again when trying to choose between OR and Vive (Getting PSVR as well)
Not sure about OR actually. I tried it once but it wasn't setup properly and the 3d wasn't working so I didn't pay attention to it, took the headset off quickly. I'm just talking about PSVR and Vive really.

Lister

Banned
It was worse on the DK1 and I would argue yes, it did. Haven't tried the later models though.

Yeah I tried DK1 and the screen-door effect was distracting, IMHO. But luckily there ways around it, even certain screen coatings on bad pentile screens can make it go away.

McHuj

Knowing that the box is only doing minimal processing gives me more hope for a more reasonable price.

i wonder what they're using for the processor is, but a cheap mobile soc or off the shelf DSP would do the job for that.

klaushm

PSVR and it's breakout box are not compatible with PSTV, right?
Would be awesome.

Great presentation. Clarified a lot for me.

Lister

Banned
Knowing that the box is only doing minimal processing gives me more hope for a more reasonable price.

i wonder what they're using for the processor is, but a cheap mobile soc or off the shelf DSP would do the job for that.

I don't know that an off the shelf DSP could do it, you need to process 3D data - but it should still be cheap, this is something that was being done in the good old days of PC gaming soundcards, and the new AMD cards have this stuff built in too.

I think we already heard terms like 'nothing fancy' about the box in earlier interviews, the cost impact should be small.

newsguy

Oculus DK2 is the only VR headset I've tried, and I thought it was really good. If all the headset screens are now superior to it, I'm more than satisfied.

I'm the opposite. I got to try it at some new tech convention. They had the Universal Minions ride playing in VR. The screen door was so bad my eyes were tearing up and I had to take it off. I'm very sensitive to screen door effect because I've had front projection for many years, and back when digital projectors were becoming affordable, SDE was something that plagued the technology.

0racle

Guys, i found two move controllers for cheap.

What are the chances they are 100% identical to what works with psvr?

Chances of a psvr with just the headset?

Should i buy or wait ?

thematic

Here's the screendoor effect on Oculus DK2:

i'm sorry, but someone in this thread mentioned screendoor effect isn't "can see individual pixel", so anyone can explain what SDE is?? Thanks!
(i see nothing wrong with this image aside from each pixel is noticable)

i prefer PSVR but i want to play in PC too :(
any news about PC Compatibility?

N30RYU

Gold Member
Guys, i found two move controllers for cheap.

What are the chances they are 100% identical to what works with psvr?

Chances of a psvr with just the headset?

Should i buy or wait ?

100% both
They won't release other move controllers than the ones that are in the market. and sony surely will release a only Headset bundle for the ones with already a camera, and another bundle with the headset+camera. the move controllers aren't necessary unless a game uses them and all the ppl have already a dualshock, so I don't think the move controllers will be bundled

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mrklaw said:
I'm sure they're close but your comment makes me wary again when trying to choose between OR and Vive (Getting PSVR as well)
People's impressions will inevitably be all over the place with very few having experienced final or close-to final headsets from all manufacturers. Even things like screens are often finalized very close to launch date (PSP didn't get its retail screen until 2-3 months prior to launch).

thematic said:
(i see nothing wrong with this image aside from each pixel is noticable)
Emtpy space between pixels is what creates "screen-door" impression (like looking out a window covered with a net). Reducing it means larger (hence more noticeable) pixels, but it helps fooling the brain you're not looking at a flat panel in front of you.

it seems sony did a great job on lenses and Display. Looking forward to try it

Just because I came across this post: Sony is said to produce the best high-end cameras currently available on the market.

Is there a way to create advantages with the lenses they use for VR compared to the competition, or is that a negligible factor?

klaushm

You mean stream VR from PS4 in another room?
This makes no sense. No.

There is some sense of wanting it, but analyzing it now, it doesn't make sense with the setup presented.

The processing is still done through PS4, PSTV would receive the data and was connected to the breakout box, which handles PSVR and TV, but taking out the breakout from PS4 and having to plug it on PSTV(if it was possible) would not only be cumbersome but against the idea of PSTV. Also, I think the data would be too heavy for this kind of stream.

Yup, I was completely wrong.

N30RYU

Gold Member
PSVR and it's breakout box are not compatible with PSTV, right?
Would be awesome.

Great presentation. Clarified a lot for me.

You mean someone playing with the headset in a room with the PS4 and the camera... and the Tv signal switched to another Tv trough PSTV... mmm don't know could work.

Nav controller cant be tracked in 3d space so I would think not, I don't think any PSVR demos have used it so far.

Game have used moves for £5.99 free shipping. Stock isn't always available but it's probably the cheapest you'll find one. I got one last week.

I'll take a look, thanks!., I have a terraria ps4, and cex give £10 voucher, so it will be a one on one trade, so for a second one, I'll check game's online stock.

They don't work without the ps camera right?
I wish I know how sony pretend to sell all this.

dumbo

AFAICT the screendoor effect is caused not by pixel size/count, but by the gaps between those pixels.

But newer headsets have more advanced technology available than the DK2. Utilizing state-of-the-art techniques, they stick some clear tape over the screen so that the pixels blur into each other, reducing the visual gap.

jusufin

The majority of impressions, reviews, and comparisons i've read on VR centric forums have had the Rift edging out Vive in terms of SDE and image quality with PSVR being somewhere near but not quite as good. That being said, people seem to be more impressed with the experience that they get on the Vive. I'm not sure if it's because roomscale experiences demo better or whatever but i'm having a hard time deciding between the two as well. Right now the only thing i'm sure of is that I want all 3 but will have to choose between one or two of them (depending on the PSVR price).

Jigolo

the PS4 basically has a 1.84 Tflops GPU which is roughly equivalent to a AMD HD 7850.

60% more power means it will give performance equivalent to a 2.8 Tflops GPU which brings it much closer to the theoritical Tflops of GTX 970 which is 3.5 Tflops.

Of course the AMD and Nvidia GPU architectures are vastly different, and there are memory and CPU disadvantages, and I dont entirely believe him but you get the point.

I don't think people understand how this works. Why do you think Quantum Break for example can run on an Xbox One (which if you find a PC equivalent CPU/GPU it's quite weak by PC standards) but in order to run this very same game on a PC it takes much more. It's the benefits of optimization in a closed box and since it's been developed as an Xbox One you see great visuals and performance like you see from most First Party devs for all consoles. Stop thinking of it in ways of TFs because you'll never be able to wrap your head around it.

Zaptruder

Banned

It's annoying, but not anymore immersion breaking than say... putting a really thin piece of cloth over your eyes.

QaaQer

Things are looking good for psvr. I was quite skeptical that it could be made 'good enough' on a $300 pc, utilizing old psmove controllers, and a $40 camera.

Assuming the headset will be the same price as the ps4 @ launch, VR 'from-scratch' will be $699-$799 or a $399-$499 add-on and it can be sold as a nice simple all-in-one box at retail. It will be very competitive next holiday.

Kinda weird to see Sony having competent management and their TV division making money.

Top Bottom