• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror: Resurrection |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Got my pile ready. Unfortunately sold a lot of my cult/horror/exploitation/grindhouse/trash flicks on blu-ray and dvd, but I still have some. Watched the live action Corpse Party film. It's a different take on the games, but the kills were gory. Unfortunately, it did drag in some parts but maybe the sequel will be better. 6/10. Speaking of the movie pile, here it is!

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Got my pile ready. Unfortunately sold a lot of my cult/horror/exploitation/grindhouse/trash flicks on blu-ray and dvd, but I still have some. Watched the live action Corpse Party film. It's a different take on the games, but the kills were gory. Unfortunately, it did drag in some parts but maybe the sequel will be better. 6/10. Speaking of the movie pile, here it is!
lmao thanks for reminding me about Nightmare Weekend. Should really get around to picking that up.

-MD-

1. Terrifier - Really fun oldschool style slasher. Great antagonist, loved the way it was shot, big fan of heavy film grain. It's on Netflix. 8/10

2. All Hallows Eve - I believe it's from the same folks that did Terrifier and it has the same character in Art the clown but he's not the focus of this film, it's just nowhere near as good as Terrifier and is easily skippable. Awful acting, ultra low budget. 4/10

Maniac. Was sold on the dvd cover. Like above, an 80's slasher, except it follows the killer. Guy has some serious mother/women issues.
Some continuity problems, sometimes hard to see, but good performance by the villain. 6/10 because there were a couple of good kills.

Last edited:

Domisto

#2 The Wax Mask (1997)

Another take on the classic wax museum story. Set in 1912 Paris. You've got Argento and Fulci as producers so it mostly looks the part aside from a few dodgy 90s effects, has some nice locations. Very gothic horror throwback with a couple of twisted and OTT bits, gialloesque plot. But like a lot of Italian horror it suffers from being far too cheesy, especially the ending. Overall, alright for a laugh.

Best bit is the lol-worthy save-the-topless-maiden and Terminator ending - maybe just skip to that.

wax_mask.jpg

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Insidious turned out to be pretty good, very evocative of poltergeist. tonight we turn to the lighter side of things

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Happy Spooktober everyone! Here to put out Trick 'r Treat as a recommendation for getting into the holiday spirit - a great little Halloween themed dark comedy-horror full to bursting with genre tropes, some played with in ways you might not have expected. It's only 82 minutes long, too, which is nice.

J-Roderton

Happy Spooktober everyone! Here to put out Trick 'r Treat as a recommendation for getting into the holiday spirit - a great little Halloween themed dark comedy-horror full to bursting with genre tropes, some played with in ways you might not have expected. It's only 82 minutes long, too, which is nice.

Excellent movie. I watch it every year on Halloween or the night before. Big tradition around here.

And love a tense atmospheric build-up like The Witch has.

I've been meaning to watch that. I should do that soon, since we're in the "witching" month, lol. (My favorite time of year, btw, although I wish it would cool down soon to get me in the spirit -gah, I hate the heat!)

Domisto

Was going through what's included on Prime UK and thought these ones are worth watching. Stuff I've liked in the past. Mixture of good, fun, trash, slasher, splatter, creepy. There's probs more but the list of recent stuff is too long to finish. If it has Shark in the title it's probably awesome.

Julia's Eyes 2010
The Loved Ones 2010
Hatchet 2 2010
Train to Busan 2016
Insidious 2 2014
The Conjuring 2 2016
Let the Right One In 2008
The Hole 2009
Shaun of the Dead 2004
Scream 2 1997
Scream 1996
Retribution 1987
Curtains 1983
Graduation Day 1981
House on Sorority Row 1983
Chopping Mall 1986
Nightmare Beach 1989
Phenomena 1985
Bad Taste 1987
Uninvited 1988
Forbidden World 1982
Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things 1972
The Day of the Triffids 1962

Domisto

#3 A Cure for Wellness (2016)

Went into this pretty much blind. Started out as a creepy psychological thriller and gets odder and nastier as it goes. Very atmospheric and looks great. Fair dose of gothic influence and an out of time vibe. We guessed the the big reveal but it was a good ride till the end anyway. Liked this.

kunonabi

October 1: Island Zero
[Prime]

Low budget flick about people trapped on an island due to invisible aquatic predators. Acting and script weren't great but the premise and characters weren't bad. Decent gore too.

Last edited:
10/02 #2 The Hitcher (original). There's something about Rutger Hauer whenever he's on screen and it's not just his piercing eyes. Here, here's the antagonist, the hitcher. He pursues a young man, leaving a whole lotta death in his wake. But what is the true relationship between the young man and the hitcher...? In ways similar to Spielbergs Duel not only in the setting; you feel the protagonist is the only one that can stop this mad man. Loved this film. 8.5/10. Also watched the remake which has Sean Bean as the hitcher. It was very similar to this one in how it unfolded but was more graphic.

Last edited:
Murder Party sounds neat - think i'll add that into my list.

1: Friend Request - Netflix - I went in expecting it to be awful, and for the most part it was, but it did happen to be a bit different from what I thought it would be, for which I give it some credit. Still dumb.

I give it 2/10 Followers. Watch Orphan instead.

2: Constantine - Netflix - Hadnt seen it, but was always intrigued. Pure cheese. Screams 2000s. Lots of plot holes. But overall it was fun actiony take on religion/hunting demons.

I give it 5/10 Holy Shotgun Shells. Watch Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight instead.

Last edited:

LordPezix

Awesome!

So I am trying to do something different this time around. I've seen a lot of the American Horror staples so this year I want to try foreign films.

GAF do you have any recommendations for a good foreign horror flix?

I really liked I saw the devil so more Korean/Japanese stuff is always good for me. I also watched The Hallow so any good English, Irish, Scottish recommendations would be great as well!

Thanks GAF!!

Kagey K

Banned
3. Charlotte (Prime Video)

Going from the poster I expected this to be a bad Annabelle ripoff. Instead I got an anthology movie (which I love.) Unfortunately none of the stories are very strong, but a couple were amusing. 6/10

Previously:
  1. Don’t go in the House (Prime Video)
  2. Murder Party (Netflix)

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I really liked I saw the devil so more Korean/Japanese stuff is always good for me.

This goes for everyone too, but Train to Busan is a must-see. South Korean zombie movie set almost entirely aboard a train. I'm usually sick of zombies, but they've really done something interesting here, it's a hell of a movie.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Dark Shadows was great fun not scary just spooky ambience great ensamble cast and I love all the Tim Burton Jonny Depp collaborations.
Onto Shocktober the 3rd

Domisto

GAF do you have any recommendations for a good foreign horror flix?
One of my favourites is older. El Dia de la Bestia / Day of the Beast (1995). A priest believes the anti-christ is about to be born so seeks him out by becoming a sinner. It's a messed up black comedy. I think it's a real classic.

Domisto

#4 Next of Kin (1982)

Strewth! Australia in the 80s and not a Paul Hogan in sight. A woman inherits her deceased mother's nursing home and moves to her old home town to sort things out. This one is slow. It starts a bit like Halloween then develops a mystery about family secrets. Tries to be unsettling but is mostly dull. Exciting things that happen. A ventriloquist with a koala dummy for 5 seconds. One of those pens with a pinup girl that when you turn it upside down she undresses. Sugar cube pyramid. It comes alive in the last half hour but it's too little too late.

next_of_kin.jpg

Last edited:

dolabla

God I freaking love this time of the year!

I already watched Friday the 13th Part 4 and Halloween.

Hello Mary Lou Prom Night 2 is on my bucket list next. As is both Creepshows.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Domisto

#5 Dark Signal (2016) [prime]

Eh. Typical slasher material and ghost victim contacting people. Set in Wales. Probably looked better on paper. There's some dodgy acting and it feels kinda tired. Had a bit of a laugh with it but not a fan.

dark_signal.jpg

LordPezix

This goes for everyone too, but Train to Busan is a must-see. South Korean zombie movie set almost entirely aboard a train. I'm usually sick of zombies, but they've really done something interesting here, it's a hell of a movie.
One of my favourites is older. El Dia de la Bestia / Day of the Beast (1995). A priest believes the anti-christ is about to be born so seeks him out by becoming a sinner. It's a messed up black comedy. I think it's a real classic.

Hell yeah! Thanks guys! I'll give em both a watch this weekend! I have heard about Train to Busan but the El Dia de la Bestia is new to me. Looks interesting!

Started on this at the weekend and kind of cheated by watching the first film on the 30th. At least, that way, we could have a day off during the week. I don't know when the fatigue will kick in, and we'll just give up on the idea, but, for now, myself and a couple of friends are going to give this a go. They've done it a few times already and warned me of the mid-October horror fatigue. But with my brilliant choices added into the mix, there's nothing to worry about. We each get a pick and it starts with me and.....

Hereditary
I'd seen this before, but wanted my friends to watch it because I knew it would ignite a few interesting discussions about the film after the fact; regardless of it's quality. I enjoyed it to a point but found it to be mostly frustrating and it jumped off the deep-end during the third act. However, the film was peppered with great performances, including a very showy, twitchy Toni Collette and a subdued performance from Gabriel Bryne playing the useless husband with zero authority in the household. 6/10

I never did like how the film threw itself wholeheartedly into a supernatural demon summoning scenario with no room for any other interpretations. The film, tense and gripping, for the first half lost its way as the little girl lost her head. After that, and the discovery of the grandmother's photobook, it seemed happy to tick off overused tropes and became utterly predictable. The ending, combined with the ridiculous exposition, proved too much for me as the headless bodies of dead family members floated their way upto the treehouse to anoint their new demon king. Still, I enjoyed the frantic, tense score and the acting, and loved how the film moved in and out of the dioramas; surely those things were a nod to the great Frances Glessner Lee.

The Burning
Oh dear. If you wanted a window into the mindset of a serial rapist and abuser, look no further than The Burning. When the credits flashed up, we burst out laughing, "Holy shit! Story co-written by Harvey Weinstein and produced by good old Harvey as well. Now this should be interesting." It wasn't, well, not really. Clearly it was made after Friday The 13th had became a hit and apes the formula to its utter detriment. It's unremarkable and instantly forgettable. Watching it, somewhat tainted by the shadow of Weintstein, the weird, rapey moments come off as even more disturbing and you just wonder what exactly some of these girls had to do to get a part in this awful film. 1/10

The Orphan
Brilliant fun. I'd watched this around the time it came out and really enjoyed it. We chose it to see if it held up, plus my friend's girlfriend hadn't seen it, so it seemed like a good choice. A nice, respectable well-off American family decide to adopt a kid, in the aftermath of a recent miscarriage and a nebulous incident. It's incredibly satisfying, and one of those where you'll have a good time shouting at the screen at the idiocy of the characters, particularly the husband. 8/10

The twist is kind of brilliant. It turns out their strange Russian 9 year old who can paint far beyond her years and has a prodigious talent for music is actually 32 years old, totally insane and escaped from an asylum in Estonia and collects husbands like Panini stickers. The useless husband, who ignores the very sensible reservations of his wife at every single opportunity, gets what he deserves and is brutally stabbed to death by the 32 year old nutter after rejecting her attempts to seduce him. She turns into the Terminator and stalks the wife and her daughter, but in one of the most satisfying deaths I've ever witnessed, she gets her comeuppance with a boot to the neck, right up there with any finishing move you've seen on Street Fighter, that sends her to the bottom of a frozen lake.

I believe House of Wax 3D is our next choice.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So Skeleton Key is more just in the suspense drama category. I enjoyed it tho the scene that shows the linching from the early 1900's is really disturbing to watch. I liked the twist at the end reminds me in someways to densel washingtons Fallen in its overall feel. worth watching for those that don't want to watch gore horror at all.
Tonight things are all about old fashion lighthearted spooky fun cant wait to watch it now that its out in Bluray.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

3. Hell House LLC - I put it a little bit above average when it comes to found footage films, which I normally enjoy. This movie just didn't really explain of enough of the underlying ghost story bit. And wouldn't you know it, there is a sequel. So probably going to watch that soon, too.

:lollipop_trophy::lollipop_trophy::lollipop_trophy:

The list so far

Domisto

#6 Let’s Scare Jessica to Death (1971)

Low budget psychological chiller. A woman, her husband and friend move to a farm to start a new life. She has mental health problems and starts seeing things. This is a slow burner with that naturalistic hippie-esque early 70s feel. Well shot and the leading lady has a strange charm. Not flawless but manages to overcome it's budget and create an unsettling mood with a couple of powerful moments. Very good flick. Probably more influential than it gets credit for.

Was gonna put a trailer up but they give away too much info. I picked this up ages ago and thankfully had forgotten everything I'd seen about it.

jessica_poster.gif

HeresJohnny

God I freaking love this time of the year!

I already watched Friday the 13th Part 4 and Halloween.

Hello Mary Lou Prom Night 2 is on my bucket list next. As is both Creepshows.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I love the Creepshow films. My friends and I used to watch The Hitch Hiker over and over and yell “THANKS FOR THE RIDE LADY”

dolabla

I love the Creepshow films. My friends and I used to watch The Hitch Hiker over and over and yell “THANKS FOR THE RIDE LADY”

Haha, me and my buddy still say the same thing whenever Creepshow gets brought up. That and "you gotta hold your breath there, Harry":

Leslie Nielsen, lol.

3: The Lost Boys - Netflix - *rewatch* - Love this film. Pure 80's nostalgia. The Corey Haim and Feldman duo. Keifer Southerland. Brilliantly designed vampires. Adventure packed.

I give it 8/10 Swigs of Blood. If you liked this check out From Dusk til Dawn.

4: Creep - Netflix - This has been on and off my queue multiple times. Finally chose to watch it. A bit too obvious and predictable. I feel like the movie relies on the same cycle of set ups. Didn't like that the main character was a bit much of a push over and naive. Most of the movie is a lot of the same thing. Albeit quick, the payoff is satisfying.

I give it 6/10 Videotapes. If you liked this check out The Invitation.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Haha, me and my buddy still say the same thing whenever Creepshow gets brought up. That and "you gotta hold your breath there, Harry":

Leslie Nielsen, lol.

Yeah I love that story, too. When they come back and they're all puffy and putrid man, good stuff. The Crate is awesome too. "Just tell it to call you Billy!"

Domisto

#7 Annabelle (2014) [prime]

For a film about a creepy doll there wasn't enough creepy doll action. It was more demon stuff for a Conjuring lite episode. Average stuff. Not going to trouble Chucky in the slightest. Instead I'd recommend Stuart Gordon's Dolls for a lot more fun.

HeresJohnny

3: The Lost Boys - Netflix - *rewatch* - Love this film. Pure 80's nostalgia. The Corey Haim and Feldman duo. Keifer Southerland. Brilliantly designed vampires. Adventure packed.

I give it 8/10 Swigs of Blood. If you liked this check out From Dusk til Dawn.

4: Creep - Netflix - This has been on and off my queue multiple times. Finally chose to watch it. A bit too obvious and predictable. I feel like the movie relies on the same cycle of set ups. Didn't like that the main character was a bit much of a push over and naive. Most of the movie is a lot of the same thing. Albeit quick, the payoff is satisfying.

I give it 6/10 Videotapes. If you liked this check out The Invitation.

Creep is one of the better found footage films. It works because as a viewer you kind of know what is going to happen from the very beginning, but you can't stop watching it regardless. The ending was pretty brutal and the last two or three minutes especially sinister, save the one cheesy jump scare. I was expecting to hate it, but it's actually not a bad film.

Creep is one of the better found footage films. It works because as a viewer you kind of know what is going to happen from the very beginning, but you can't stop watching it regardless. The ending was pretty brutal and the last two or three minutes especially sinister, save the one cheesy jump scare. I was expecting to hate it, but it's actually not a bad film.

Yeah good point, you worded it exactly what i was thinking. The last few minutes were great except that jumpscare! I groaned! I was like really you guys went there? After all that! Overall i enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Domisto

#8 Satan’s Little Helper (2004)

Ridiculously tongue in cheek movie about a kid that befriends a serial killer thinking he's Satan in his fantasy world. The kid has some serious issues. Some really funny bits but too long and can't decide how nonsensical it wants to be. My mind started wandering after an hour.

satans_helper.jpg

Pod. Siblings go to help/rescue their brother from a cabin after he leaves an erratic message. Brother claims he has a government killing machine locked in the basement. It does build up nicely, but then wastes it on what feels like a rushed ending. Disappointing.

HeresJohnny

I'm definitely going to rewatch both Conjuring films this month. Thank God for James Wan. I mean, he's not perfect, but he knows how to make scary films. I was really looking forward to The Nun but I hear it's not good. I still may check it out if it stays in theaters a little while longer.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Abbott and Costello meet the Mummy was a fun movie if you can enjoy old movies that mostly focus on a style of physical comedy thats way more subtle then todays standards.. I find them nostalgically charming and thematically works for Halloween family movies.
Tonight we return to the 90's

5: The Collection - Netflix - *rewatch* - went in thinking I hadn't seen it before, but by then end there were enough "deja vu" moments that i realized i had seen it, but just didnt remember anything. Anyways, I think it's an enjoyable romp. fast paced non stop action honestly. it's not necessarily a good movie, but its certainly not garbage either...obviously unbelievable, but youre not here for realism. lots of traps, but not so much torture or goreporn as saw/hostel stuff. more just a variety of fun fast plentiful kills. more fighting back and action packed, than killer fucking with people. even tries to add in a bit of story and lore! Chistopher Mcdonald (Shooter Mcgavin) has a small role too!

I give it 6/10 Tarantulas.

Have you seen the first one? Lot better and more intense.
The Collecter eats shit like Shooter for breakfast. Have you seen the first one? Better movie, more tension.

haven't seen it! but i saw after the fact that the collection was a sequel. definitely interested in seeing the first. look forward it it based off your thoughts. maybe after seeing the first it will change my opinion on the second.

Last edited:
Have you seen the first one? Lot better and more intense.
5: The Collection - Netflix - *rewatch* - went in thinking I hadn't seen it before, but by then end there were enough "deja vu" moments that i realized i had seen it, but just didnt remember anything. Anyways, I think it's an enjoyable romp. fast paced non stop action honestly. it's not necessarily a good movie, but its certainly not garbage either...obviously unbelievable, but youre not here for realism. lots of traps, but not so much torture or goreporn as saw/hostel stuff. more just a variety of fun fast plentiful kills. more fighting back and action packed, than killer fucking with people. even tries to add in a bit of story and lore! Chistopher Mcdonald (Shooter Mcgavin) has a small role too!

I give it 6/10 Tarantulas.

The Collecter eats shit like Shooter for breakfast. Have you seen the first one? Better movie, more tension.

Jrod - haven't seen the other one, but thought Happy Death Day was a good Groundhog Day meets Scream fun flick.

Top Bottom