• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

320-page book on Final Fantasy VII

Tiolazo

That cover makes it look like a horror game
Dude, no spoiler warning?!
What a spoiler.

Yeah lol, but comom aerith death its the most know fact!!

not at 1997 >_>

I still get nightmares from this:

FFVII-4044.png
Cave_of_the_gi3.png

FF7 got some creepy parts...

Shinra Mansion and that music...
Shinra_mansion.png

Ghost Square and that f*ck hanged man scream!
GhostHotel.PNG

Also that jenova screen
jenova-ffvii.png

Men in Black the game? Never heard of it.

The Versus Books guide is where it's at.

Ah, I remember this. It had a 100% walkthrough, battle strategies, cutscene translations and tons of tables and reference material. I've never seen a strategy guide better than this one. But STILL, I never found that damned Added Cut materia. Sometimes I wonder if it even exists.

Opa! right they fucked up that part, but here at least its really exist! check 1:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBeaJm7Z9Bk

Gamers Book was like a 'Brady Games' here on brazil, until they messed up EACH edition, The Breath of Fire 3 for example they simply FORGET around of 30 pages of walktrough LOL...

Rats, for the first time in my life I wish I paid more attention during French class. I would leap at the chance to buy this if it was translated into English.

Prophane33

Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega? But, seriously the best FFVII guide was Versus Books, they made THE best guides. Look how much it goes for on Ebay! I still own the Gran Turismo 3, Eternal Darkness, and Metal Gear Solid ones (wish I had the RE2 or PSO ones).

-PXG-

Pix'n Love does an amazing job with their books. Definitely buy this if you love FFVII. I have the Sonic book. It came out in April. The english version will come out in October.

I'm actually a bit shocked this is a cover with such a major story element spoiled like that

I don't think it's really that bad of a spoiler, because it's a moment *before* the really surprising event. The event wasn't huge and surprising because the bad guy tried to kill one of the main characters - that happens all the time. It was huge because he *succeeded*, and the game made it very clear that it was a true, permanent death, right in front of your eyes. So it's only a big spoiler if you already know what happens next.

I have both the History of Nintendo books in English so far and they are fantastic, they do such a wonderful job with these.

Definitely getting this for my brother if it gets an English release, he freakin' loves FFVII.

joedick

Doesn't look too good. Word is that Pix'n Love isn't satisfied with the sales of their latest English release at all and is considering to cancel the release of further English books.
(In other words: Buy History of Nintendo Vol. 1 and 2. These are great books, especially the first one)

UDON is releasing the Sonic book in english, so there may be hope for more from that relationship.

Pix n Love books are amazing. I'm learning french, and I've been using their books to help. The 'making of' sections in their digests have amazing info and art that I haven't read or seen anywhere else. I think they get a lot of the info from Japanese mags. Their new Double Dragon book looks great too.

Grayman

Ah, I remember this. It had a 100% walkthrough, battle strategies, cutscene translations and tons of tables and reference material. I've never seen a strategy guide better than this one. But STILL, I never found that damned Added Cut materia. Sometimes I wonder if it even exists.

The unofficial Versus guide can get you right to it ;)

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Good thing I am French.

I almost wanna pass this up since I won't be able to read it, but I'm not so sure. I still regret not picking up Perfect Works for like $40 when I had the chance.

Shipping is suspiciously low for the US. This combined with the fact they don't ask for the state (though they did ask for the country) makes me wary that they don't really ship outside of france. I might ship it there instead, but i don't want to wait..

jaxword

I wouldn't actually recommend buying this if you're an FF7 fan.

Not just the fact they likely cribbed all the info from the Ultimanias, but because they likely have Before Crisis info in it as well (they're playing up the "full timeline" aspect).

BC will probably be released here someday on some platform (probably some sort of download for the Vita or WiiU or something), so it'd sort of ruin it.

Rinoa

I get the feeling that they took the english fan translations of all the official FF7 (Japanese) media from various sites and forums and then put them into French.

French websites used to do the same thing pre-wikipedia. This is just the first time I see them try to get a profit out of it.

jaxword

I get the feeling that they took the english fan translations of all the official FF7 (Japanese) media from various sites and forums and then put them into French.

French websites used to do the same thing pre-wikipedia. This is just the first time I see them try to get a profit out of it.

Evidence suggests this is EXACTLY what they did. How could two French fans have insider info that no one, not even the Japanese-English collaborative sites, have?

jaxword

If it's evidence, then why does it only suggest?

Because I am not 100% fluent in French and until it's proven, the evidence (the blurb's claims) only suggests this. Logically, two non S-E employees should not have anything we don't already have. HOWEVER, I'm willing to entertain the notion they somehow got some insider info...but that's doubtful.

Because I am not 100% fluent in French and until it's proven, the evidence (the blurb's claims) only suggests this. Logically, two non S-E employees should not have anything we don't already have. HOWEVER, I'm willing to entertain the notion they somehow got some insider info...but that's doubtful.
Fair enough. I think I was mistaken in my definition of evidence. :)

Rinoa

If it's evidence, then why does it only suggest?

The timing is what raises my doubts. Two people translating and arranging several texts from the written word in JP to typed out in FR within 2-3 years is a huge jump. Why now and not before?

I can only guess at why. In 2008 and onwards, several books (anniversary, etc) were re-released. In 2009 and onwards, sites like adventchildren.net or thelifestream.net forums had become filled with fan-translated content, where, years before, fans were limited to FF7 Dismantled and rough translations. In addition to the fan translations were posts with speculation and other opinionated bits. By 2010ish there was enough translation and commentary out there to make a book.

Along comes google translate in that timeframe, and the time needed to translate English-French is far less than it could have been. Since I know that language, I'd like to read a bit of the book just to see how much of the fan translation or opinion made it in.

Considering the price tag on this though, is it even legal?

Fox1304

If anyone has a discount code to kill the incredibly expensive shipping costs ( I'm from France, and that's 8€ :s ), I'm all ears !

jaxword

Considering the price tag on this though, is it even legal?

If they're stealing from sites like thelifestream.net (and they probably are) then no...however, THOSE sites are stealing from the Ultimanias. And S-E hasn't bothered with them, either...

Really, this is probably illegal but there's layers of INTERNATIONAL copyright law hoops to jump through and thus is probably not worth anyone's time to sue over.

Doesn't look too good. Word is that Pix'n Love isn't satisfied with the sales of their latest English release at all and is considering to cancel the release of further English books.
(In other words: Buy History of Nintendo Vol. 1 and 2. These are great books, especially the first one)
Source for this? I've got both of the History of Nintendo books and it'd be a shame if we never get their Gunpei Yokoi book in English too. That said, if their books aren't selling well, I'd say they've only got themselves to blame. It's ages in between each release and when the books do come out, the English translations, while serviceable, are definitely not that great. Would also say their customer service is lacking as well - I ordered some soundtracks from them in June and they screwed up my order a bit (sent me the wrong CD). It's been a month and I still haven't heard back from them about the error. All in all, I'd say the English branch of their operation needs some serious work, but I'd still like to see them do well and release more content.

Top Bottom