• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 Needs To Cut the Master Chief Sago Loose and Explore Other Stories in the Universe

VAVA Mk2

For me, the Master Chief arc was done with the first three games. Then 343i wanted to expand the lore with stories from the books, but imho it wasn't a great idea.

The game is called Halo, not MC. At some point MC should cope with his life, retire and grow flowers before the story jump the shark and turn in a bad Sonic-like fanfiction.
They tried with Halo 5 to not focus on him as much and it failed miserably. Halo 5 arguably has the worst campaign of any of the games and the worst story.

What’s interesting about all of these “no” responses is that Halo: Reach and Halo: ODST are the two best games of the franchise (outside of Halo…Library withstanding) and they don’t have much, if any (depending on title) Master Chief involvement in them.

So yeah, there’s room to do what the OP suggested. It doesn’t mean you can’t do MC-focused stories. Just that 343 needs to come up with something that fleshes the universe out more.

No

just no

were you living under a rock these last 10 years??

expanding Halo was the reason we got the shitty Halo 5 canpaign.

343 seems to be on the right track with infinite!
I don't agree with this. Halo 5 was shit, but Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, and Halo Wars 1/2 both explored other stories and were great.

It can be done well, but I don't think 343i can do it.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I definitely agree with the OP. The Halo universe is much bigger than just Chief. Open it up a bit more like Lucas did with Star Wars, though admittedly alot of the fiction does revolve a bit too much around the Skywalker line.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
they could introduce another female protagonist called Mistress Chief.

Naked Lunch

Everytime theyve tried to go beyond Chief in the games - the internet shit on them.
Thankfully theres still a steady stream of books and comics for that end of the Halo spectrum.
2 new novels just got announced and they are reprinting the original Halo graphic novel (the one with the Moebius story) for the first time in a decade.

I would say the Halo universe deserves to be explored more in the games but the gaming fanbase just isnt into it for whatever reason.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

For me, the Master Chief arc was done with the first three games. Then 343i wanted to expand the lore with stories from the books, but imho it wasn't a great idea.

The game is called Halo, not MC. At some point MC should cope with his life, retire and grow flowers before the story jump the shark and turn in a bad Sonic-like fanfiction.
The protagonist of Halo is Master Chief. At some point, people should realize that not every game needs the protagonist replaced or some ground breaking shake up. Just because you have a big ass universe doesn't mean there's a plethora of characters that can work as the main character. What they did in Halo 5 missed the entire point of why it worked in the original trilogy where Arbiter is built up and eventually links up with Chief's story. Even Reach made sure it was something that had significance to Chief's incoming adventure and only emphasized some of things he goes onto do/has done have such a big impact.

I couldn't care less if they tackle other stories, but the continuing main saga should always be Chief's.

Lone Wolf

I don't agree with this. Halo 5 was shit, but Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, and Halo Wars 1/2 both explored other stories and were great.

It can be done well, but I don't think 343i can do it.
That was different in that they were side stories that didn’t try to replace the Master Chief. Halo 5 did, and it backfired.

Danknugz

Master Chief is the Xbox mascot like Mario is to Nintendo. He's not ever going anywhere and that's how it should be.
Which is a shame because he was always a blatant shameless doom guy rip off. I’m an Xbox / pc guy but never played / interested in halo

Last edited:

Hawke502

No, 343 continues with mainline Halo games with MC, meanwhile MS hires third party (or even first party, if they are interested) studios to create other Halo titles focused on other stories, this way we can get multiple interesting games on the Halo universe. Imagine a Halo RPG made by a third party or one of the Xbox studios, or a Halo immersive sim made by Arkane, maybe they would hire IoI to create a stealth game on the Halo universe, this is much more interesting.

Top Bottom