• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 says the Halo demo was the polished version at the MS show

giphy.gif

THE CONFUSION.

Honestly why do we have to go through all this again with MS

Because a bizarre, rabid segment of their fanbase spent the entire Xbox One generation defending any damn thing MS did like it was their own family. They took whatever bullshit PR Microsoft put out, and ran with it like it was their independent thoughts.

If that fanbase got pissed and vocalized it, things would change and for the better.

I say this as a diehard 360 fan, things will never change with Phil at the helm. This flaccid - GaaS first bullshit directive in which complete and quality games are a far distant second concern.

And before I get accusations of being a PS fan, I am fucking furious with Sony and Naughty Dog with all their bullshit censorship take downs of videos and user reviews criticizing them. If anything, I was rooting for MS before this show. GoT is a good game, but fuck Sony and ND for acting like complete shits to people legitamately unhappy with TLOU2. This is the arrogant Sony and their Devs acting like power tripping, out of touch shits. Too bad their competition is wholesale incompetent and put out something like this and calls it 'polished'. Really, really would like to see a competent MS putting out amazing games and giving Sony a run for their money.

Last edited:

Barakov

Does anyone else think Halo gameplay demo was polished ?

The gameplay itself looked pretty nice but that brute's face.....Nah.

EDIT : Alright, here's the spin : Since this is techinially a Xbox One game, I will say it looks pretty good for a PC port of a Xbox One game. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Camreezie

If this game goes down like Halo 5 they really need to shelve the series and put those resources into either a new IP or resurrection of a shelved series . 343 still haven't made a good Halo game imo

RaySoft

I can understand that came across badly, but (without having read it myself) my guess what they meant was that it was the polished version of the build they have running. That doesn't necessarily mean it's "A" polished version in the same sense as we interperate it.

I mean, the game played great and looked really damn good in motion. And I feel like Digital Foundry outlined that some of the lighting looked bland because of the way their dynamic lighting system worked and that while it won't fully get fixed by launch (until the ray tracing patch later) it will still be fine.

Also, the brute everyone is making fun of is fine when you consider that it was on screen for much less than a second and that you would need to specifically look for the Brute's face and wouldn't ever see it normally when playing the game. Also, the AI, the particles and the textures all look great so if a Brute's face in combat is what needed to be sacrificed to get that at 60fps then I am glad it is being done

THEAP99

Banned
What's going on with Black Ops CW?
For one, it's august and there's been no official reveal.
For two, Treyarch is making the game and getting a really short development cycle considering black ops 4 released in 2018 and they had to support it for a bit. They also have a history is poor development cycles.
For three, from my understanding, it seems that Sledgehammer was making the game but it was bad so Treyarch had to take over.
For four, COVID 19. New consoles launching this year

I would really love to get a great black ops game but it seems treyarch and David vahn were put into a really tough position.

Amazing how many people (usual suspect excluded) are willing to write this off. They showed 8 minutes of a game that is supposed to be huge. My guess is the haters will be silenced when it comes out

Cutty Flam

Banned
The problem is not what 343,or Aaron Greenberg or Matt Booty or Phil Spencer says. They will always have an excuse to say. They will continue to promise things that are obviously either very early in development or things they haven't even started actual development.

The real problem IMO is that as long as Xbox fans keep pretending that they are satisfied and happy with shows like the one yesterday MS will never feel the need that they have to improve. I 'm seeing a lot of Xbox fans saying that they are happy with half-baked graphics like the ones we saw from Halo 5,and that they are happy by seeing trailers with zero gameplay.

If i was MS and i heard those reactions from my fans i'd never feel the need to get better.
Truth. I'm not having it. I doubt they can salvage the mistakes and now I'm definitely not buying first week, first month, maybe not even first few months if at all....

It would be so great if someone organized a boycott against Microsoft's new Xbox and Halo: Infinite to cut into profits to send a message but that'll probably never happen. Seems unrealistic. Even if it looks look Xbox360, and it fucking DOES look like Xbox360, people will just take that punch to the gut and make their purchase regardless due to the attachment to the Halo series. That's why I'm furious with 343i; they completely abuse the trust of the fans. Not even 343i, but Frank O'Connor and his bosses / those above him. Why is the incompetence level so ridiculously high over there? It's so aggravating, so disappointing, they're continually disappointing. I'm going to have to disregard Xbox anything for a while, it's only upsetting. To see how they've treated Halo, I don't like it one bit..............

II_JumPeR_I

Now people call me anti-Sony all the time. Well, this is a time you can write up in your logbooks.

Halo Infinite was the worse preview of a next-gen title I've ever seen. It's clearly using last-gen assets and that's the reason why it can run so smoothly. It's basically eating up the raw power of the XSX using high resolution and targeting a massive FPS. There is NOTHING in that demo that showed 'nextgen' type quality. I wish they would have made Halo be more akin to COD/Killzone with very complex rendering features. For being a big selling point for MS, they sure did let a lot of people down.
CoD Warzone on Current consoles looks way more impressive than Infinite and also pushes for 60fps. I really dont think that 4k is the issue here. The issue is that the game simple is a XboxOne game from the ground up. A bad looking one. Even the base xboxone can produce games that look better than Infinite.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Alright clarification taken. I wasn't speaking reliability as much as just having hardware issues in general.

BOTH consoles seem late. Probably similar reasons despite manufacturing starting months ago.
Not really, not to the same extent at all even being as open to your argument as possible. What is the evidence to say that (that they are even remotely equally late)?

Every console cycle where 3D was prominent has had problems with development kits before the final kits went out. It literally happens every console cycle. I don't think there is any more to this then not having final devkits. Don't also forget MS has cloud devkits that companies are using via Azure. Good enough to develop and test code, but not record a video demo off it seems.

There's you go with the narrative, you hear "performance issue" and "SSD" in the beta devkit, and you chalk this up to XVNA being finalized late?
Maybe I am wrong, but it is not unreasonable based on the evidence. Reports coming from devs and their flagship title showing clearly data streaming issues three to four months before launch in a demo reel they prepared for their own scheduled and hyped event seem to go hand in hand.

See, it's clear you have bias, as you're jumping to conclusions that suits the narrative you literally just made up. For all we know the beta kits could simply have used off the shelf hardware that doesn't perform to spec, or even heat could affect the performance if the chips used are not created with the same process used for manufacturing (we do know that they had beta kits from late last year). If they have final devkits and there is a hardware issue there, then you can jump to conclusions, but we're talking about non final hardware. We've seen this before. We've already seen reports of beta PS5 devkits overheating.
We have heard rumours months ago referring to even earlier occurrences. The facts are here: a lot of software has been demoed (including the real-time UE5 demo) on PS5 HW while most of the content we have seen on XSX now, more than a month after the UE5 demo and about a month after PS5’s last event, has been CG, on engine, or the small real-time gameplay bits have been running on PC HW not on XSX.

There was reasonable expectation for launch games like Halo to be demoed on real HW few months from launch, not having that (or other real-time content) demoed in real XSX HW is the telling part. It is not bias, but making up scenarios to change the topic into a “what about Sony” or to create a “nothing strange it has always been this way” a narrative seems contrarian at best and really biased at worst.

Again, we are three to four months from launch and we have not seen a single thing demoed on real HW and we are expected to believe that PS5 was not readied for devs before XSX?!? Not even a made beforehand reel of their biggest launch game they have been hyping up for a year or more?!?

Again you are reaching for something there is no evidence of. drop the narrative and apply the same logic you apply to sony for once.
I could say “will do once you do”, but I kind of get what you are saying too. Not trying to create any narrative or to be negative for the sake of it or creating FUD.

MastaKiiLA

If there are issues with te dev kits, and with development in general (evidenced by the lack of video captured on XSX hardware), then I get the impression that the Gamepass push, and Optimized for XSX marketing wasn't the intended strategy, but is instead a contingency that allows them to match the launch window of the PS5, while still having game available for the system. Simply touting BC wouldn't cut it, if there were no XSX-labeled games at launch. But having a bunch of upscaled games allows them to claim a loaded launch library, while the real XSX games continue development. It would explain Halo looking rushed, as well as the jumbled marketing messages coming from Spencer, where he says one thing one week, and they show something that counters it the next.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Delay it guys. Make it the best it can be. Take another year. Otherwise you may end up with the next Anthem on your hands.

Sony fans recommending a Halo Infinite delay because of its bad graphics. Meanwhile...

Epic-Games-announce-hotfix-for-newly-released-Burst-SMG.jpg

Me thinks they doth protest too much.

Yes, fortnight, the game that was heralded as the pinnacle of graphics. The game that would not only define a console, but also drop mics all over the next generation. I also remember pubg if that's any extra on what I think of the upcoming console.

VAVA Mk2

Because a bizarre, rabid segment of their fanbase spent the entire Xbox One generation defending any damn thing MS did like it was their own family. They took whatever bullshit PR Microsoft put out, and ran with it like it was their independent thoughts.

If that fanbase got pissed and vocalized it, things would change and for the better.

I say this as a diehard 360 fan, things will never change with Phil at the helm. This flaccid - GaaS first bullshit directive in which complete and quality games are a far distant second concern.

And before I get accusations of being a PS fan, I am fucking furious with Sony and Naughty Dog with all their bullshit censorship take downs of videos and user reviews criticizing them. If anything, I was rooting for MS before this show. GoT is a good game, but fuck Sony and ND for acting like complete shits to people legitamately unhappy with TLOU2. This is the arrogant Sony and their Devs acting like power tripping, out of touch shits. Too bad their competition is wholesale incompetent and put out something like this and calls it 'polished'. Really, really would like to see a competent MS putting out amazing games and giving Sony a run for their money.
We are pissed and vocalizing. I want Bonnie Ross and Frank O'Connor gone. Bring Staten back in place of Frankie (it was Staten's role from the get go on managing the lore/Halo Bible anyways) and have someone from a more successful game studio (The Coalition maybe?) become 343 Studio Lead.

iorek21

343i is a shitty studio that has disappointed ever since its first Halo attempt, it’s not this time that they’ll do it right.

MS should just end Halo or give it back to Bungie

Caffeine

For one, it's august and there's been no official reveal.
For two, Treyarch is making the game and getting a really short development cycle considering black ops 4 released in 2018 and they had to support it for a bit. They also have a history is poor development cycles.
For three, from my understanding, it seems that Sledgehammer was making the game but it was bad so Treyarch had to take over.
For four, COVID 19. New consoles launching this year

I would really love to get a great black ops game but it seems treyarch and David vahn were put into a really tough position.
vonderhaar might not even be heading the team. He was asked to disconnect from cod whatever that means. Ye as you say development hasnt been the best but sometimes diamonds are created under pressure. it cuts away the fluff and focuses on core values of the series.

Top Bottom