• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

36 million games and 3.4 million consoles sold in the UK in 2021 | UK Annual Report

Looks like the switch had a massive holiday season according to analysts

I don't see this momentum stopping anytime soon. I think its pretty clear that the switch will end up as the best selling console of all time.

More complete data can be found here :

Top Software (Digital + Physical ) :

PositionTitle
1FIFA 22 (EA)
2Call of Duty: Vanguard (Activision Blizzard)
3Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
4FIFA 21 (EA)
5Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
6Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
7Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
8F1 2021 (EA/Codemasters)
9Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
10Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
11Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
12Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
13Resident Evil Village (Capcom)
14Battlefield 2042 (EA)
15Minecraft: Switch Edition (Nintendo/Mojang)*
16Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Nintendo)*
17Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
18Mortal Kombat 11 (Warner Bros)
19LEGO Harry Potter Collection (Warner Bros)
20Pokémon Brilliant Diamond (Nintendo)*
21Minecraft (Mojang)
22Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Square Enix)
23Just Dance 2022 (Ubisoft)
24NBA 2K21 (2K Games)
25The Crew 2 (Ubisoft

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
And in todays news:

"The amount of units Sony and MS can afford to give to the small UK market is smaller than what Nintendo can produce.
Meanwhile the usual social media retards still try to make up marketshare discussions out of a 100% production constrained situation that`s been going on for >13 months"

Last edited:
And in todays news:

"The amount of units Sony and MS can afford to give to the small UK market is smaller than what Nintendo can produce.
Meanwhile the usual social media retards still try to make up marketshare discussions out of a 100% production constrained situation that`s been going on for >13 months"

Are you ok? Why are you this aggressive over sales numbers?

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Is 3.4 million more than what a regular PS4 year would be in the UK? Because no one can deny PS5 supply issues play a big role here.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I find it impressive how a console that didn't received any hardware improvements (except its screen) in it's lifetime still doing so great.

The games are just too good.

I just wish they would significantly improve the hardware.
I really dont know how Switch is going to handle newer games from now on.
Probably going full streaming like kingdom hearts.

Haggard

Banned
lol the guy is a vetted market analyst. Bro if this upsets you, just dont look at the thread lol.
So is Michael Pachter and others who continually spew bullshit on social media. And none of them can make the production lines run any faster which makes any and all of their comments about sales figures completely pointless, especially for any kind of comparisons. between MS Sony and N.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I really dont know how Switch is going to handle newer games from now on.
Probably going full streaming like kingdom hearts.
I’ve kinda resigned myself to upgrading my PC and figuring out how to emulate upcoming titles. BotW 2 in particular I’m worried might be a chug fest. I’ll be content to buy it then play on an emulator, or hack my Switch and see if overclocking is feasible. I’d have much preferred a Pro model but if I have to make due I will

Nintendo are idiots because gamepass! 🤓
The Switch, still going strong, and benefiting a bit from the PS5 supply issues to grab the first spot. What a success!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I find it impressive how a console that didn't received any hardware improvements (except its screen) in it's lifetime still doing so great.

Because it's handheld and it's not that much of a sharing console. It's more prone to be broken. I myself would rather buy it over PS5 for my kids for being more family-friendly.

Last edited:

Rivet

sorry to burst your bubble, but anything emotional about my reply is in your head only.

Better question is why you help spread social media idiocy.

You know why. Console wars.

But yes, all those hardware sales threads are meaningless when everything just depends on shipments and production due to shortages.

Last edited:

reksveks

35.8 million digital and physical games, 3.36 million consoles and 10.6 million accessories were sold in the UK during 2021.
Xbox Series consoles were the third biggest platform group. The Series X variety accounted for 43% of all the Xbox Series consoles sold over the year, a figure that varied wildly over the weeks of 2021. For example, during the third quarter of the year (July - September) Series X was just 24% of the total sales, while in the final quarter (October - December), the X variety outsold the S (GfK figures).
That means the UK games market is around 32.4% physical. This is a slight improvement on 2020, when retail accounted for just under 32% of the market.

My key stats

Last edited:

nush

Picking one European country as a data point for a win has as much global significance as picking whatever American state that could be found where a different console sold the most. Regardless of whatever brand of gamebox is being discussed.

Three

"Combined Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox sales were up 14% compared to the year before"

"It was the Nintendo Switch's second-biggest year by quite a large margin, but was down over 2020"

It was down from the previous year so I guess it's actually slowing down even with the new screen release this year

Mr Moose

I'm more surprised PS5 was winning until then. You can get a Switch easily, you can't with a PS5/Series X.
Great all around, nice bump in Series X sales at the tail end of the year too.
That Niche-Man DLC doing well.

reksveks

Estimates say that Microsoft is at 1.21m which means down 18% and Sony is at 1.84m which means down 11% relative to previous gen.

It does seem like there is some difference in terms of how the company are distributing consoles. Especially as xbox is ahead of their previous gen and Sony seems to be behind.

I think that Xbox have more markets to support this gen than previous gen relative to Sony.

Last edited:
Estimates say that Microsoft is at 1.21m which means down 18% and Sony is at 1.84m which means down 11% relative to previous gen.

It does seem like there is some difference in terms of how the company are distributing consoles. Especially as xbox is ahead of their previous gen and Sony seems to be behind.
If i remember correctly Sony shipped extra PS4 units to UK early 2014, because Xbox was so strong there.

Picking one European country as a data point for a win has as much global significance as picking whatever American state that could be found where a different console sold the most. Regardless of whatever brand of gamebox is being discussed.
lol the UK is more important than any US state. it's also the biggest english speaking market in europe. the only european countries that would compare would be russia, germany, france. outside US/EU the biggest markets are China/Japan.

why are you so upset that UK data is being talked about?

Last edited:

Three

I think that Xbox have more markets to support this gen than previous gen relative to Sony.
Xbox one did a tiered release last gen. Where you had tier 3 countries like Japan, Sweden, Denmark, China, etc getting it a year later.

Why isn't Nintendo affected by the chip shortage? Because the Switch doesn't use chips or wot?

😄 Because they have smaller chips so can create more switches.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
I'm more surprised PS5 was winning until then. You can get a Switch easily, you can't with a PS5/Series X.
yeah this. ps5 is a lot more expensive and can't buy one at all.. switch has been available all year, and you can find it for less than £180.

reksveks

Xbox one did a tiered release last gen. Were you had tier 3 countries like Japan, Sweden, Denmark, China, etc getting it a year later.
Yeah, I knew the Japan got it like 9 months later but I just don't remember the total numbers for both companies.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

really? Switch has been around for years at this point, who doesn’t have one by now and still sold more….

Tommi84

ItPrintsMoney.gif

Invest Federal Reserve GIF by ProBit Exchange

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
lol the UK is more important than any US state. it's also the biggest english speaking market in europe. the only european countries that would compare would be russia, germany, france. outside US/EU the biggest markets are China/Japan.

Yeah this is easily provable based on population data; UK has 68million residents, basically the same size as the two most populous US states (Cali 39m, Texas 29m*) combined. According to 2020 census data only 10 US states have populations greater than 10m.

*Ironically these both states have massive Spanish language contingents too, so in purely Anglophone terms the UK is an especially good indicator of tastes and trends.

Orta

Banned
And in todays news:

cry.jpeg

Last edited:

nush

Can anybody spot the quantifier here?

Also I'm from the UK, so not mad bro.

KAL2006

Banned
Switch 2 ain't happening in a while the profit margins for original Switch must be insane. As well as software sales. Why push graphics with higher budgets when the audience don't give a shit, Nintendo found its market and they should run with it.

I don't think the average Nintendo fan gives a shit if Animal Crossing isn't 60fps and doesn't have higher textures and polygons.

If I was Nintendo I'd ride the Switch out until mid 2024 minimum.

Marvel14

Banned
And in todays news:

And yet you can only compete with what's infront of you....

Top Bottom