• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

38 Studios investgating is turning up results.

http://warwickonline.com/stories/38...=6&content_class=1&town_id=1&sub_type=stories

Taxpayers are on the hook for tens of millions to repay bondholders following the 2012 failure of former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling’s video game company. What had been pitched as a major economic development project quickly proved to be an enormous misstep, and calls for more answers and greater accountability have been constant.

Last week brought significant developments. A WPRI report revealed that according to lawyers for the state, disgraced former House Speaker Gordon Fox secretly met with Schilling and a 38 Studios board member long before first thought – and without the knowledge of then-Gov. Donald Carcieri.

Fox – who is currently serving a federal prison sentence after pleading guilty to unrelated charges, including bribery, wire fraud and filing a false tax return – is also said to have ordered what was then known as the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation to complete the 38 Studios deal, long before related legislation had been approved.

The revelations come from court documents filed in the state’s lawsuit over 38 Studios, which remains ongoing in Superior Court.

After the report, several local watchdog groups jointly called for a complete, independent investigation of the 38 Studios matter, and for the judge in the lawsuit to grant a motion seeking the unsealing of records in the case. The groups include Watchdog RI, the Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity, the Rhode Island Taxpayers Association, and Operation Clean Government.

“The newest court document revelations are deeply disturbing on a multitude of levels,” said Ken Block, a former gubernatorial candidate and founder of Watchdog RI. “We deserve the full story.”

“It is government at its worst when special-interest deals and other major policy programs are secretly developed and implemented by crony insiders, at great expense to taxpayers, without rigorous public debate or adequate oversight by our duly elected state legislators,” said Mike Stenhouse, who heads the Center for Freedom and Prosperity.

House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello rejected the call for an independent investigation, saying the General Assembly is not an investigative body and that such action should be left to the discretion of law enforcement. Gov. Gina Raimondo, who last year had pledged an independent probe, cautioned that the state must not take steps that may jeopardize the ongoing litigation, although she voiced support for making the documents in the case public.

McDougles

Not a good week for Curt Schilling.

curt-schilling-muslim-nazi-tweet.jpg

Re read the tweet.

Nazi = extremists, Muslims = Germans.

He does have a history of doing this bat crazy stuff.

He's still drawing a clear correlation between the two, there's extremist elements in all population groups, that doesn't need specifying. What prompted the quote about Muslims in the first place?

Governments shouldn't be funding game development. If you want to spur economic development, there are lists of infrastructure projects that needs to be done. I want to know the bridge I go over is structurally sound before I play some game that capital investors thought was a bad idea and could only be funded by a government.

ParityBit

He's still drawing a clear correlation between the too, there's extremist elements in all population. What prompted the quote about Muslims in the first place?

His crazy ass political views. No idea why people post crap on twitter. It is the downfall of so many people! Although .... I guess he already had his downfall, multiple times.

gabbo

So, is he (Schilling) on the hook for any of the outcome from this RI investigation?
I was under the assumption he was basically cut off from it, and all he had left was to [further] tarnish his reputation

tebunker

Banned
What the...is this real? Muslims = Nazis? Why would he say this in public, even if you were a wing nut, does he have a history of doing this?
Yes sadly he does. He is a total whacko and far right far far right dude.

I have no problems with viewpoints from either side of the aisle but I do not like the extremes and he was definitely on the fringe.

I also hate how this clown made millions playing baseball and is staunchly conservative in politics but had no problems taking government and tax payer money to fund his bullshit game studio. He's a ridiculous hypocrite.

I really lost a lot of respect for him in his post baseball career choices and lines of thinking.

It is real. He deleted it shortly after and ESPN suspended him for it.

Did they suspend him for it? I know they took him off of the Little League World Series.

He was supposed to be on Boston sports radio this morning, but the hosts just explained that ESPN killed the interview last minute.

Troy

Banned
Wow, horrible (on his part not ESPN)

Horrible on ESPN's part too. They know what all of their people tweet. They have to know that other garbage he's sent out in the past. Also a shit move to wait to see how the public reacts before deciding if they're going to dump him or not.

So, is he (Schilling) on the hook for any of the outcome from this RI investigation?
I was under the assumption he was basically cut off from it, and all he had left was to [further] tarnish his reputation

The records are still sealed. If watchdogs wanted to go after Curt and his B of D, they would have. Right now, publicly shaming him is the only recourse those people have.

Governments shouldn't be funding game development. If you want to spur economic development, there are lists of infrastructure projects that needs to be done. I want to know the bridge I go over is structurally sound before I play some game that capital investors thought was a bad idea and could only be funded by a government.

Speaking of irresponsible public works funding...

For most Rhode Islanders, the new revelations regarding Fox’s apparent involvement in the episode likely resulted in renewed anger and frustration. While some of those targeted in the state’s lawsuit have settled, 38 Studios remains a major loss for the state.

The company has become synonymous with the kind of insider deals and cronyism of which Stenhouse spoke, its name now a catchall for what is wrong with government in the Ocean State. It has been constantly evoked during the ongoing debate over the proposal to build a new, waterfront stadium in Providence for the Pawtucket Red Sox – largely in response to the team ownership’s plan to secure tens of millions in public money toward that purpose.

gblues

Banned
Horrible on ESPN's part too. They know what all of their people tweet. They have to know that other garbage he's sent out in the past. Also a shit move to wait to see how the public reacts before deciding if they're going to dump him or not.

You're talking about the same network that hired Rush Limbaugh as a sports commentator and were shocked--SHOCKED--that he'd say something racist on the air.

Amory

KoA was a really good game. It's a shame the studio didn't survive, would've liked to see a sequel.

Dragon

Banned
You're talking about the same network that hired Rush Limbaugh as a sports commentator and were shocked--SHOCKED--that he'd say something racist on the air.

Kinda funny considering Disney (who own ESPN) are pretty damn liberal, they have had benefits for LGBT couples for years before the debate about marriage reached the Supreme Court.

As a Sox fan, I have mixed feelings about Schilling. It's like if your crazy old uncle had a forum to just spew some really stupid ridiculous shit. And at first, you roll your eyes because it's like oh that's just my uncle, but then you realize oh shit, this is some deplorable shit. And no it doesn't cancel out all the support over the years, but it certainly puts his life into perspective.

Top Bottom