• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Zomba13

Decided to test out FFCC The Crystal Bearers on Dolphin.
ffcc1.png

ffcc2.png

ffcc3.png

ffcc4.png

ffcc6.png

It runs alright but in some of the cutscenes the sound slips out of sync.

Diablohead said:
Star Fox Adventures, seeing the images now it's really aged, I had some good memories with that game when it was new such as it looking amazing and well, I had fun with it at least.

The fur shading looks rather simple now but that shit was awesome :lol
SFA really shines in motion though, thanks to the buttery smooth framerate.

Any chance anyone could capture some HD footage of SFA running at 60fps? Of course you'd have to upload it to rapidshare or something, since the flash video sites like youtube can't play 60 fps videos.

JADS

Zomba13 said:
Decided to test out FFCC The Crystal Bearers on Dolphin.
[XMG]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffcc1.png[/IMG]
[XMG]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffcc2.png[/IMG]
[XMG]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffcc3.png[/IMG]
[XMG]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffcc4.png[/IMG]
[XMG]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffcc6.png[/IMG]

It runs alright but in some of the cutscenes the sound slips out of sync.

That looks pretty impressive, how is the game itself?

Medalion

Banned
Finally, after how many freaking years, the Dolphin Emulator is capable of outputting graphics comparable to the batch of Rogue Leader bullshots released. :lol

And holy shit Star Fox Adventures look amazing :O

jediyoshi

fizzelopeguss said:
How many of these wii games are actually decently playable.

I'm not sure where this misconception's coming from. It's more a matter of which games aren't playable whatsoever which is part of the reason why Eternal Darkness and Rogue Squadron come up a lot. All first party games I can think of work at full speed and only dip because they're either at 1080 or have AA options on.

vazel

Banned
jediyoshi said:
I'm not sure where this misconception's coming from. It's more a matter of which games aren't playable whatsoever which is part of the reason why Eternal Darkness and Rogue Squadron come up a lot. All first party games I can think of work at full speed and only dip because they're either at 1080 or have AA options on.
It should be noted that many people consider games with borked audio playable. I do not. There's supposedly a new revision of the audio plugin of Dolphin coming that is going to fix many audio issues.

Zomba13

Jangaroo said:
JADS said:
That looks pretty impressive, how is the game itself?
Shitty. SE blew the budget on everything but the actual gameplay.

Pretty much. It's nice looking (on dolphin at least) and has good music. Story so far is interesting me a bit but the game is quite bad. It opens good but having to kill enemies by throwing them into each other just isn't fun.

Sectus

Can anyone recommend a video record program which can record from Dolphin in a lossless format? I tried fraps, but that is actually a lossy format. Any other programs I can try?

LiK

wow lookin at the screens makes me wish for a Wii HD that will do the same thing as Dolphin. *crosses fingers*

jediyoshi

Sectus said:
Can anyone recommend a video record program which can record from Dolphin in a lossless format? I tried fraps, but that is actually a lossy format. Any other programs I can try?

Fraps is the best software solution you'll get. Unless you're doing something beyond uploading the footage to a streaming video service, true lossless is overkill. I take screencaps from video captures pretty often and they're indistinguishable from regular screenshots down to the detail in the smaller text.

Sectus

jediyoshi said:
Fraps is the best software solution you'll get. Unless you're doing something beyond uploading the footage to a streaming video service, true lossless is overkill. I take screencaps from video captures pretty often and they're indistinguishable from regular screenshots down to the detail in the smaller text.
Well, I'm doing some fancy schmancy stuff which requires completely lossless video. I tried with fraps and that doesn't work.

I've only ever used fraps for recording stuff from PC so I imagine there must be some alternatives. I'd try xfire, but that only works with specific games, and no emulators.

LiK

Sectus said:
Well, I'm doing some fancy schmancy stuff which requires completely lossless video. I tried with fraps and that doesn't work.

I've only ever used fraps for recording stuff from PC so I imagine there must be some alternatives. I'd try xfire, but that only works with specific games, and no emulators.

high res screens of Ashley Graham please ;)

ne1

JADS said:
Multiplayer Four Swords without four GBA's is possible since 6059. You do need a GBA Bios though, so dig up that old flashcard and start dumping.
Oh. My. God. At last I might be able to play it. And I just bought two saturn pads. :D
I used to have a lovely golden Zelda GBA, but my brother lost it some year ago. Would it be possible to dump the bios from a DS? I'm thinking that the DS might contain a GBA bios with its GBA mode and all? If so I'm finally biting the bullet and ordering Four Swords instantly!

SFA needed a emulator hack so the fur shading is always applied, since the GC was SD and it didn't really make a difference when the character was far from the camera other than hardware load they made it vanish (detailed grass was only applied to a circular area around fox, and if the camera zoomed out at some point the character would have no fur shading applied)

such hack, if possible, would make the game throughfully awesome graphically.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sectus said:

Get a capture card then.

LiK said:
wow lookin at the screens makes me wish for a Wii HD that will do the same thing as Dolphin. *crosses fingers*
People really need to stop thinking this because it will never happen. There is no way that they are going to emulate games on Wii 2 or whatever at 1080p with 4x super sampling.

JADS

ne1 said:
Oh. My. God. At last I might be able to play it. And I just bought two saturn pads. :D
I used to have a lovely golden Zelda GBA, but my brother lost it some year ago. Would it be possible to dump the bios from a DS? I'm thinking that the DS might contain a GBA bios with its GBA mode and all? If so I'm finally biting the bullet and ordering Four Swords instantly!

Should be possible since the GBA Bios in the NDS only has an one byte difference. I used this tutorial on PocketHeaven to dump my GBA bios.

Stallion Free said:
Get a capture card then.

People really need to stop thinking this because it will never happen. There is no way that they are going to emulate games on Wii 2 or whatever at 1080p with 4x super sampling.
Given that N64 games emulated on the Virtual Console and the Zelda bonus disc for GC run at 4x their original resolution, there's no reason to think Nintendo won't offer similar improvements emulating the Wii/GC with their next system unless you think it won't be powerful enough to emulatie them. Which I doubt will be the case since the GC hardware will be 12 years old by the time Wii 2 comes out and hardware capable of emulating it will be dirt cheap by that point.

Durante

nincompoop said:
Given that N64 games emulated on the Virtual Console and the Zelda bonus disc for GC run at 4x their original resolution, there's no reason to think Nintendo won't offer similar improvements emulating the Wii/GC with their next system unless you think it won't be powerful enough to emulatie them.
Yes, 4x the original resolution. Many of the screencaps in this thread on the other hand are sampled from 27 times the original resolution. (No this is not a typo)

Sectus said:
Surely there has to be some software which can record lossless? Capture card would be an expensive and complex solution.
Even with a capture card it's hard enough to record uncompressed HD. For just 720p that would be 160 MB per second of footage.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nincompoop said:
Given that N64 games emulated on the Virtual Console and the Zelda bonus disc for GC run at 4x their original resolution, there's no reason to think Nintendo won't offer similar improvements emulating the Wii/GC with their next system unless you think it won't be powerful enough to emulatie them. Which I doubt will be the case since the GC hardware will be 12 years old by the time Wii 2 comes out and hardware capable of emulating it will be dirt cheap by that point.
Let's assume all these games run at 480p. 1080p is 4x the size and then super sampling is that is 16x that size (it renders the image at a higher resolution and then downsamples). Trust me, Nintendo isn't going to match that and it's highly unlikely that they will hack widescreen into GC games.

Also, why would Nintendo put in the effort? Sony could render PS1 games with resolutions/SS similar to this emulator on the PS3, but they don't do shit with them and we are left with the low resolution. How many games N64 games are there on Virtual Console? And how long did it take them to put that many up? Exactly.

But since you have so much faith in Nintendo to bother trying to do what this project is doing, have fun waiting.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Durante said:
Actually, it's close to 7 times, that's why it comes out as a factor of 27 with 4xSSAA.
I was just making crude 480p boxes that fit in 1080p in my head :lol

Dude looks pretty stupid anyways. I mean N64 had 387 official releases according to Wiki and there are what, 15 on Virtual Console? Oh wow, Nintendo totally removes the need for emulation.

Durante said:
Actually, it's close to 7 times, that's why it comes out as a factor of 27 with 4xSSAA.
Surely there are AA techniques they can use that are more efficient than literally rendering the entire scene over again? Either way, even if they don't use AA at all the games would still get a huge boost from being rendered at 1080p, which it seems reasonable to assume Nintendo will do given the precedent set by their N64 emulator.
Stallion Free said:
I was just making crude 480p boxes that fit in 1080p in my head :lol

Dude looks pretty stupid anyways. I mean N64 had 387 official releases according to Wiki and there are what, 15 on Virtual Console? Oh wow, Nintendo totally removes the need for emulation.
You're calling me stupid when you think Sony's not upres-ing PS1 games on PS3 has anything to do with Nintendo :lol

Luigiv

nincompoop said:
Surely there are AA techniques they can use that are more efficient than literally rendering the entire scene over again?
Of course there are, but they don't look as good.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nincompoop said:
Surely there are AA techniques they can use that are more efficient than literally rendering the entire scene over again? Either way, even if they don't use AA at all the games would still get a huge boost from being rendered at 1080p, which it seems reasonable to assume Nintendo will do given the precedent set by their N64 emulator.

You're calling me stupid when you think Sony's not upres-ing PS1 games on PS3 has anything to do with Nintendo :lol
If they just render to 1080p, then that wouldn't be "doing the same thing as Dolphin."

And I was making a point that just because the hardware can handle a game in backwards compatibility at a much higher resolution doesn't mean that a company will put in the effort to make it happen. You still haven't addressed the issue of Nintendo doing less than 5% of it's back catalog on Virtual Console.

Stallion Free said:
If they just render to 1080p, then that wouldn't be "doing the same thing as Dolphin."

And I was making a point that just because the hardware can handle a game in backwards compatibility at a much higher resolution doesn't mean that a company will put in the effort to make it happen. You still haven't addressed the issue of Nintendo doing less than 5% of it's back catalog on Virtual Console.
Now you're just splitting hairs here. It's not like super sampling makes THAT big of a difference over MSAA, especially at 1080p.

Almost all of Nintendo's first party N64 stuff is on VC, and first party titles are the main draw for the Wii emulator for most people. I'm sure you're heartbroken that you can't play Quest 64 or Winback on the VC but that isn't really relevant to most of us.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nincompoop said:
Almost all of Nintendo's first party N64 stuff is on VC, and first party titles are the main draw for the Wii emulator for most people. I'm sure you're heartbroken that you can't play Quest 64 or Winback on the VC but that isn't really relevant to most of us.
:lol I guess Nintendo's 19 select are all that anyone could ever want. Also, have fun rebuying all your GC games when they are download only on Wii 2, just like N64 games. Let us know how great playing in 4:3 is.

JADS

nincompoop said:
SFA really shines in motion though, thanks to the buttery smooth framerate.

Any chance anyone could capture some HD footage of SFA running at 60fps? Of course you'd have to upload it to rapidshare or something, since the flash video sites like youtube can't play 60 fps videos.

I had to drop to 720P and it was still dropping frames while recording under FRAPS (30 FPS game work fine even in 1080P, 60FPS is no go for me) :lol but here you go http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EZE3OWWG.

Edit:
Medalion said:
Did we ever get any good Jet Force Gemini Dolphin attempts in here?
Isn't that a N64 game?

Sectus

Durante said:
Even with a capture card it's hard enough to record uncompressed HD. For just 720p that would be 160 MB per second of footage.
I got a raid which should be completely fine (well, it IS fine since I record 720p uncompressed from PS3 and 360 with it). But well, shouldn't there also exist intermediate codecs which alow for lossless with a small amount of compression? I thought for a long time that's how fraps worked.

So no one here knows of other capture software besides fraps to use on PC?

JADS said:
I had to drop to 720P and it was still dropping frames while recording under FRAPS (30 FPS game work fine even in 1080P, 60FPS is no go for me) :lol but here you go http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EZE3OWWG.
Holy fuck that looks nice, thanks! Too bad about the glitchy audio though.

PS I couldn't download the video through my browser for some reason but I was able to get it with JDownloader

Nabs

Took 'em w/o turbo for the most part, so no screen effects for the shots. Excite is one of the tougher games to capture, since it's so fast and awesome.

JADS

Sectus said:
I got a raid which should be completely fine (well, it IS fine since I record 720p uncompressed from PS3 and 360 with it). But well, shouldn't there also exist intermediate codecs which alow for lossless with a small amount of compression? I thought for a long time that's how fraps worked.

So no one here knows of other capture software besides fraps to use on PC?

FRAPS should work fine under Dolphin, the SFA movie I posted is captured using FRAPS. Are you on the last FRAPS release?

Sectus

JADS said:
FRAPS should work fine under Dolphin, the SFA movie I posted is captured using FRAPS. Are you on the last FRAPS release?
Yeah, I'm using the latest version. I've got no issues capturing, I just need it lossless.

Did somebody try to sent this info with attached screenshots to Nintendo? With the next system, they could be doing this with their old Gamecube and Wii games, right?......Right?

JADS

Sectus said:
Yeah, I'm using the latest version. I've got no issues capturing, I just need it lossless.

There is an option for lossless RGB capturing, isn't that enough? Where do you need lossless captures for anyways?

SketchTheArtist said:
Did somebody try to sent this info with attached screenshots to Nintendo? With the next system, they could be doing this with their old Gamecube and Wii games, right?......Right?

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp -> Read trough that then decide for yourself ;)

Sectus

JADS said:
There is an option for lossless RGB capturing, isn't that enough? Where do you need lossless captures for anyways?
Oh d'oh! I have missed the latest version. I'll see if the lossless capture works for me.

jediyoshi said:

My own experience with EMU over the years.

I'm tempted to pick up a wiimote+games and try this out.

nincompoop said:

It has everything to do with the dilemma posed. Sony's PS1 emulation is the only official system wide (well near enough) software emulation currently offered, it is the benchmark.

The games don't run in their original resolutions out of spite, they run like that because Sony is bothered about compatibility above all else and in order to achieve that they went for very low level emulation. Proper low level emulation doesn't allow you to render games with truckloads of enhancements because its aim is to replicate the workings of the original system as close as possible in order to achieve near perfect compatibility.

Dolphin is built on the principals of "high level emulation" its why the results are spectacular when they work but many games require specific hacks to get them to a playable condition. You might not know, but these days Saturn emulation is actually further forward than N64 emulation, at least in terms of compatibility, despite the fact that the Saturn is a much more complex system and went more than a decade without any sort of adequate emulation solution whereas the N64 already had some pretty decent emulators up and running just a few years after its release. This strange scenario is likely due in no small part to the fact that all the major N64 emulators went for HLE whereas as SSF was always meant to be a LLE from day one.

A official solution similar to Dolphin just isn't happening, the costs to tests the 1000+ games and build individual profiles for each and everyone are completely unreasonable. Nintendo aren't going to let the community run an alpha version of their emulator for several years in order to build up comprehensive bug reports like Dolphin can.

Edit: The one example we have of a "system wide" HLE based emulator is the Xbox 360's BC and look how that turned out. Even then, the programmers were very careful to not increase the resolution of any of the emulated games even though they did add other enhancements like 4xmsaa because it can have many undesirable effects.

Top Bottom