• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D gaming using 2D to 3D conversion

I just bought a LG Infinia 55LW6500 3D TV and I am truly impressed at the way it converts games to 3D. It basically has a feature where it turns any 2D picture to 3D, this includes games, TV shows etc, even if it’s not shot in 3D.

Right now I am playing Battlefield 3 with this feature turned on and I am completely blown away. I also tried Tekken 6 with 2D to 3D turned on and I am equally impressed. I don’t know the science of what is going on but I feel this is a truly amazing and now I almost refuse to play it any other way. It’s almost like these games where made for this feature.

I made this thread because I wanted to know if anybody else is playing games this way and what games do they recommend playing this way. Also please state what TV you are using this feature with because I am curious of other TV’s that are capable of doing this and how well it works.

-Winnie-

How does the effect compare with games that natively support 3D? I've always been intrigued by the idea, but I've never seen how good it looks for myself.

IllumiNate

I tried watching Star Wars Episode 2 Blu-Ray 2D-3D conversion and it was nothing special. I'm wanting to try Mario Kart Wii and maybe Zelda and see how they fair

How does the effect compare with games that natively support 3D? I've always been intrigued by the idea, but I've never seen how good it looks for myself.

I'm telling you it looks phenomenal. I played uncharted 3 recently in Stereoscopic 3D and of course it was amazing. Battlefield 3 is not that far off though. Its not that things are popping out of the screen but it gives you a sense of depth that is truly amazing. Some times though you will get your occasional pop out of the screen moments but few and far between. Tekken 6 as well. I cant wait to try other games like this.

IllumiNate

I tried some Uncharted 3 in 3D and the jaggies are horrific, and nothing really pops. I turned it off and the PQ was a lot better. This could be due to the fact that I'm gaming on a 64" plasma not but 6 feet away

I tried some Uncharted 3 in 3D and the jaggies are horrific, and nothing really pops. I turned it off and the PQ was a lot better. This could be due to the fact that I'm gaming on a 64" plasma not but 6 feet away

you should as well post the model of your tv. it is very probable that there are different conversion performances among different models.

I'm having a totally opposite experience than you are. Mines a 55'' sitting at about the same distance. The burning chateau was what sealed it for me, I was blown away. Still have a ways to go though.

Mistle

I have a Panasonic Plasma GT30 with this feature, but I don't own glasses. Does the 2D -> 3D conversion actually work well then? I just brushed it off as a bad gimmick.

Mainly because I can't imagine how the hell the technology would work! lol

IllumiNate

I'm having a totally opposite experience than you are. Mines a 55'' sitting at about the same distance. The burning chateau was what sealed it for me, I was blown away. Still have a ways to go though.

Yeah I'm just getting there now, was playing in 2D then saw that I had reached the burning area and saved it so I can try it out in 3D tomorrow.

I have a Panasonic Plasma GT30 with this feature, but I don't own glasses. Does the 2D -> 3D conversion actually work well then? I just brushed it off as a bad gimmick.

I hear they are one of the best active 3D TV's out so i would give it a try. And yes my TV conversion works extremely well for games so far. Movies, TV shows so far are a hit or miss. I watched the daily show last night with this feature and it was pretty impressive. It shocked me too because I thought it was gimmicky also. I am pleasantly surprised though. I just had a couple friends over and they also where impressed.

wwm0nkey

On Halo: Reach it basically adds tessellation into the game and gives flat objects depth. Throwing a grenade makes it look like you just blew a 2 foot hole in the ground when you look from up high.

(Also since you also have an LG you set your input label to PC right? It gets rid of the input lag)

Joba62x

Neo Member

Mainly because I can't imagine how the hell the technology would work! lol

This is the TV I have, it's 42" and I'm exactly 6 feet away from the screen in a completely dark room.I have Expand x103 glasses.

I tried the conversion on space marine, it was OK you could see depth here and there but nothing special. The glasses made my eyes water after about 20 minutes so I never tried it again.

Tried Batman with the 3D turned on it really added something to the game , when I took the glasses off and went back to moving along I did notice the effect was gone and thought the picture looked kind of flat. When I go back to batman I would try it again.

Then I played the level Halo from Anniversary and that was awesome. The depth, the effect on the plasma rifle, everything looked great.

After seeing what good 3D looked like I don't think I would convert stuff.

I understand what he means, basically its your TV trying to create fake depth out of what its processing as 2D images, so if a texture has strong lighting information painted into it (or the normal maps read really well, etc) the tv creates 3D depth based on the texture. Fairly often this has some really negative effects though, for example a lot of games have the characters or other things "pop" by giving them brighter lighting or fake shadows and this causes the tv to interpret them as farther forward than they should be so they end up appearing too far forward in 3D space

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Try some 3D supported games, in native 3D and compare with 2D-3D conversion. Eg uncharted 3 would have full detail in 2D mode, so if the conversion to 3D is decent, it could be a good option

I've never been even remotely impressed by my TVs 2D->3D conversion (Panasonic GT25). I see it as nothing more than a useless gimmick, barely adding any percievable depth to the image. I'm surprised that anyone could find any value in this feature, but perhaps it works better on other TVs...

BrettWeir

I have the same TV as the OP. Absolutely love it. So far, I have only played Rogue Galaxy, FF12, and Assassins Creed Brotherhood in 3D. It's not perfect, that's for sure, but damn is it nice to experience games this way. Hell, even programming is done quite well. Watching UFC in 3D is awesome.

wwm0nkey

I have the same TV as the OP. Absolutely love it. So far, I have only played Rogue Galaxy, FF12, and Assassins Creed Brotherhood in 3D. It's not perfect, that's for sure, but damn is it nice to experience games this way. Hell, even programming is done quite well. Watching UFC in 3D is awesome.

Have you done the PC input label thing to eliminate input lag over HDMI?

On Halo: Reach it basically adds tessellation into the game and gives flat objects depth. Throwing a grenade makes it look like you just blew a 2 foot hole in the ground when you look from up high.

(Also since you also have an LG you set your input label to PC right? It gets rid of the input lag)

Let me try this out. Never seemed to have a problem with input lag but as I said earlier its hard for me to notice things like that.

We have a Samsung UN46D7000 and I've used the feature a couple of times. From my experience, it's hit or miss depending on the game. Sonic Colors for example, looked amazing in some levels but in others there wasn't much of a difference. Super Smash Bros Brawl's 3D effect was miniscule from the couple of matches that I played.

wwm0nkey

Hrm, no I haven't. I'll have to research this I guess, as I have no idea what it is.

press "home" then select "input" then hit the blue button (NOT the 3D button) and select PC for your input label and all input lag will be gone as this disables post processing programs on the TV.

EDIT: This should work on all LG LED/LCD TVs.

Update: Just tried god of war 3 and it looked pretty good like this. As well as FF 13. FF13 cut scenes look better IMO and so did just walking around environments. Battle also had a sense of depth to them but it probable isn't for everybody. Still over all a great experience I am having with these games.

R3TRODYCE

Agreed, I recently bought a Samsung 3dtv and used this feature with MW3 and needless to say I was very impressed.

So did anyone else try my tip, really wondering if this just works on my TV or not.

Yeah I did last night, and honestly I still cant tell a difference. What model TV do you have? Then again as I said before if there is a lag issue with this TV it's hard for me to notice. When I tapped R1 on default settings it responded, seems to me instantaneously. I tried your method and it felt the same. IDK

I use the 2d to 3d converter with Skyrim with my D8000 Samsung Setup. The effect look gorgeus but when i moving my character everything look too much blurry. It is really tiring for the eyes

I just bought a Panasonic 65" GT series plasma, and I haven't even though about using the conversion for games. I've too busy watching 3D movies!

I'll give it a go with a few titles to see if I like it or not. I used to be on the fence with 3D tech, but if it's done right, it looks amazing.

Top Bottom