• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3d rpgs with good character animations in in-engine cutscenes, noncombat gameplay.

nOoblet16

I wouldn't go that far.

It's worth keeping an eye on Horizon: Zero Dawn - the animations look to be standard setting for an RPG.
Facial animations aren't the only category of animations. I wouldn't be surprised if FFXV has UC4 beat in character animations in and out of gameplay, their tech is pretty damn advanced.

SomTervo

Am I misremembering or did Mass Effect 3 have good cutscene animations? Gameplay also felt amazing.

I think Mass Effect is a solid answer on the whole due to its over-the-shoulder TPS-style angle. That makes it far easier to not notice issues with animations.

Ni No Kuni looks fantastic.

nnklgs7y.gif

Shit!

I know this is restricted to rpgs but after UC4 everything just doesn't seem as good anymore.

Yeah. Even in-game all of Drake's movements are just so nearly flawless. So real.

Need to boot it up again. It's satisfying playing any section of the game for me because it's so lovely to move around.

black070

Facial animations aren't the only category of animations. I wouldn't be surprised if FFXV has UC4 beat in character animations in and out of gameplay, their tech is pretty damn advanced.

Facial animations aren't the only animations Uncharted 4 excels in.

Jeffrey

how did nino kuni 1 look cutscene wise?

I remember the game looking gorgeous, but i never got far enough to see many cutscenes (got bored of the gameplay)

Ryukori

how did nino kuni 1 look cutscene wise?

I remember the game looking gorgeous, but i never got far enough to see many cutscenes (got bored of the gameplay)

It's like watching a Studio Ghibli movie. Not surprising since they're the ones who made the cutscenes, though.

vetrox

How about Lost Odyssey?

I remember it looking really good and having some damn good animations.

It had some decent animation, some not too good: https://youtu.be/JBfPa22PjsE?t=1199

I think Vagrant Story had surprisingly decent animation in in-engine cutscenes, for a PS1 RPG.

Still my favourite, although I haven't played Xenosaga or FF12.

Ni No Kuni looks fantastic.

Have some NNK2 gifs. And by some I mean all the gifs.

nnklgs7y.gif

QtRPtzY.gif

Goodness gracious!

Pokemaniac

Only a couple of scenes (or clips, rather) are pre-rendered, and iirc they don't have any characters in them. All character cutscenes are in-engine.

Xenoblade X also has some absolutely amazing cutscene animation, but it is sparse, and some can be missed due to being in optional quests and the like. Their next game should see even better animation all round; they used a special suit for a lot of the in-game animation (battle animation, basic animations, etc, the big cutscenes were mocap) and they got their hands on newer versions of the suit before finishing X, which they'll be able to use throughout their next project.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing compression artifacts in one of the scenes during the ending that (MASSIVE SPOILERS)
involves Fiora going around the town in the new world.
I suppose I could be misremembering, though.

It's also part of the art direction. XII was going more for a Shakespearean, stageplay sort of thing whereas X was fully embracing the anime aesthetics.

Ca8i5LUm.jpg

0VEmOWhm.jpg

God, that scratching the back of the head when embarrassed trope can go die in a fucking fire. Started watching the Tales of Zestiria anime and the protagonist does it in one of his first scenes. FFS!

Top Bottom