• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

The Mana Legend said:
Okay, I really don't understand why people are expecting "better d-pad placement." It's going to stay in the same place in every revision. There is literally nowhere else to put it.
I'm hoping for a larger unit in general, and maybe a formfactor that makes access of both D/S-pads more comfortable. If it's dual analog, maybe the D-pad will switch positions too.

Actually, I'm really curious if the Slide Pad Expansion makes the D-pad more comfortable too?

giggas

Cheesemeister said:
So I finished my hi-score run on SMB...

Zv77d.png

9,999,950 points.

Incredible. How long did this take?

Roto13

I imagine that's a lot easier to do with suspended saves. :p I maxed out the score counter in Alleyway several times. I also went from level 99 to level 1 in it.

donny2112

Cheesemeister said:
So I finished my hi-score run on SMB...

http://i.imgur.com/Zv77d.png[IMG]

9,999,950 points.[/QUOTE]

Nice. :)

I have been having a bugger of a time getting the extra lives on 3-1. I don't remember it being this difficult, at all.

YourMaster

Futureman said:
Playing Zelda II right now. I have 3 dungeons beat and I'm at 6 Attack, 7 Magic, and 7 Life. Guess I'm on the right track? There are 5 dungeons, and then the final one, right? So even if I don't grind anymore, I should be at 7/8/7 at least going into the final area?

Grinding isn't too bad though as there are some "random battle" screens that have VERY easy enemies, and you can rack up ~100 EXP in about 30 seconds.

There are six and the final one. So without grinding you'll end up with 7-8-8.
Being at such an high level already means you'll probably only level up on finishing temples.

giggas said:
Incredible. How long did this take?

It took a few days of light play.

donny2112 said:
Nice. :)

I have been having a bugger of a time getting the extra lives on 3-1. I don't remember it being this difficult, at all.

The trick is to NOT get 1-ups. If you get over 127 lives, the sign bit will be set, putting you at -128 lives. Upon death, it's the sign bit check that brings up a game over. So when the 8000 point score is hit, precise timing is needed to jump off the shell and equal precision is needed to jump back on.

Also, I found that you can get up to 16 coins out of a 10-coin block.

Cheesemeister said:
It took a few days of light play.

The trick is to NOT get 1-ups. If you get over 127 lives, the sign bit will be set, putting you at -128 lives. Upon death, it's the sign bit check that brings up a game over. So when the 8000 point score is hit, precise timing is needed to jump off the shell and equal precision is needed to jump back on.

Also, I found that you can get up to 16 coins out of a 10-coin block.

I remember when I was 3 years old, my favorite level was 1-1. ( it still is ) anyways right after the second cliff jump theres one of those 10 coin blocks and I would spend hours trying to get as many coins out of those blocks as possible. If I didn't get 16, I would reset my NES and start over.

donny2112

Cheesemeister said:
The trick is to NOT get 1-ups.

I'm having problems starting the chain, though. Turtle does one bounce and stops or just exits the stairs altogether. Don't remember it being this hard to get right before. :(

Cheesemeister said:
If you get over 127 lives, the sign bit will be set, putting you at -128 lives. Upon death, it's the sign bit check that brings up a game over.

Yeah, actually got pretty good at reading the little symbols that started showing up after 99 back in the day to avoid getting too high. :lol

YourMaster

KevinCow said:
Zelda isn't hard, just really tedious.

Apparently, twenty years later, it's neither. I've finished the first quest without dying a single time. I came close in dungeon 6.
The entire game took me a little under three hours to complete.

Speaking on having aged well, I still didn't know what some of those clues meant, luckily, now I had google available to me only to find out nobody else knows what the secret is on the east-most peninsula. I did learn however what the secret was, not in the tree, but near the tree at the dead end.

I've read so many interviews with old nintendo staff where the reporter asks stupid questions on things already well known, people should start asking about what the hell they meant in some of these old cryptic nes-texts.

Since this topic has popped up I have to say Ice Climber would be so damn good if the jumping wasn't complete ass, I demand a sequel to fix this!

Futureman

So I was getting rocked on my journey up to the Great Palace in Zelda II last night and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to beat the game.

BUT, I read online today that once you make it to the Great Palace, the game starts saving from there and you don't have to make that journey everytime you get a Game Over. So I guess I still have a chance...

bumpkin

So I decided to try Ice Climbers for the first time ever last night... How did this game get a following of any kind? The platforming is completely broken. I jump up, clearly am *over* solid ground and I fall through it. Trying to get some forward momentum on a jump? Nope, forget about it... But then you do the identical jump again and you do get momentum.

KevinCow

Banned
YourMaster said:
Apparently, twenty years later, it's neither. I've finished the first quest without dying a single time. I came close in dungeon 6.
The entire game took me a little under three hours to complete.
I refuse to believe that you beat the game your first time through with no guide in only 3 hours.

If it wasn't your first time through, then you really haven't addressed anything. Even if the last time you played it was 20 years ago, you still remembered the game and had at least a general idea of where things were.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
bumpkin said:
So I decided to try Ice Climbers for the first time ever last night... How did this game get a following of any kind? The platforming is completely broken. I jump up, clearly am *over* solid ground and I fall through it. Trying to get some forward momentum on a jump? Nope, forget about it... But then you do the identical jump again and you do get momentum.

you just haven't gotten the hang of it. It's not great in my opinion, but it is consistent.

Nintendo Announces GBA Ambassador Lineup

After much anticipation from 3DS Ambassador members, Nintendo has finally announced the final five freebie GBA titles they will receive. Though they might be familiar to most, these five should not disappoint anyone:

• NES Classic: Adventure of Link
  • NES Classic: The Legend of Zelda
  • NES Classic: Super Mario Bros.
  • Game & Watch Collection
  • Super Mario Advance

Nintendo still has yet to announce the release date for the freebies, but did announce that they would be available before December 25th.

hatchx

Banned
The Mana Legend said:

After much anticipation from 3DS Ambassador members, Nintendo has finally announced the final five freebie GBA titles they will receive. Though they might be familiar to most, these five should not disappoint anyone:

• Super Mario Advance

Nintendo still has yet to announce the release date for the freebies, but did announce that they would be available before December 25th.

I would laugh.

Synless

The Mana Legend said:

• Super Mario Advance

Wait, they are re-giving us Zelda 1 & 2 again? Wtf is that shit? This is fake right?

The Mana Legend said:

• Super Mario Advance

W...why are you doing this?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The Mana Legend said:

• [*]NES Classic: Adventure of Link
    [*]NES Classic: The Legend of Zelda
    [*]NES Classic: Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Advance

What. The. Fuck.

oatmeal

Banned
The Mana Legend said:

• Super Mario Advance

That would be hysterical.

The Mana Legend said:

• Super Mario Advance

pointless joke.

The Mana Legend said:

• Super Mario Advance

Headline article on Kotaku in 3, 2 1...

Hylian7

The Mana Legend said:

• Super Mario Advance

Ahahahahahahahahaha, you think that's actually real?

Top Bottom